PDA

View Full Version : New iMac G5 Slot loading CD issue

runplaysleeprun
Oct 7, 2004, 10:23 PM
Ok, so, I picked up a 20 inch iMac g5 today, and set it up right away when I got home. I stuck in a DVD, it played, I was thrilled, quit the program, ejected the disk, and went about installing programs. I just tried to put the DVD back in, and the slot loading mechanism wont "grab" and take in the disk. i can push it nearly all the way in, but the imac never takes it, it just sits there, nearly all the way in. I did a restart, and same thing. Anyone else see/hear about this? or is it just me? any help appreciated.

runplaysleeprun
Oct 8, 2004, 09:07 AM
Also, the drive doesnt appear in system profiler. what does this mean? it is not connected properly?

rand()
Oct 8, 2004, 09:27 AM
Also, the drive doesnt appear in system profiler. what does this mean? it is not connected properly?

It's possible, but if it worked correctly the first time I doubt anything happened to cause it to disconnect.

One thing I'm unclear on: did you keep that disc 'in' the drive, sticking halfway out, and then try to push it back in, or did you pull the disc all the way out, and now the drive is unresponsive?

varmit
Oct 8, 2004, 09:33 AM
Ouch, doesn't happen that often but, I would say that it seems your drive might have died. Have you run the updates yet for the computer, if not, do so. I don't know if the firmware update was for the iMacs or just for the Powermacs. If and update doesn't fix, open the case and just check the wires for the drive. Just make sure that the plugs havn't come unplugged while it traveled. If its still not working, take it to the place you bought it from, or the nearest Apple store. Apple store is the preferred place since they will work quickly to fix the problem.

Sorry to hear about the problem, again, doesn't happen often.

runplaysleeprun
Oct 8, 2004, 09:51 AM
I took the disc all the way out, and then tried to reinsert, to no avail. I gave up on it last night, and when I tried again this morning, it took the disc, and ejected it fine. 5 minutes later, not working again. I assume that would indicate a connection problem between the drive and the rest of the computer? something perhaps that is going in and out with any little bumps on the table the computer is sitting on? thanks for the help so far. i think if this problem persists, I"ll take it back to the apple store and see what they say about it.

osprey76
Oct 8, 2004, 09:57 AM
I would take it in, if it's handy enough, to the Apple Store now if you don't feel comfortable mucking around inside the computer. Your description most likely points either to a faulty drive or a loose connection, as mentioned above. There are some other possibilities, but those two are the most probable.

Congrats on the new machine, but get this taken care of so it doesn't stick around to bug you or you let your warranty expire.

flyfish29
Oct 8, 2004, 10:38 AM
I had this same thing happen on a new ibook. It would take it fine, then all of the sudden stopped. I tapped lightly on the top of the iBook and hear this snap like a lever had released and all of the sudden it started working again and has been fine since. Was going to send it in but my wife couldn't do without it and school paid for it anyway so will fix down the road if it in deed breaks.

Good luck with yours.