PDA

View Full Version : iPads - calling on ladies out there

Peonymac
May 26, 2010, 11:21 AM
I can't be sure but suspect that we ladies expecting (fingers crossed) our lovely new iPods tomorrow may be in the minority here?

Anyone interested in a thread which focuses on female-friendly aspects of the iPad, accessories and useful Apps?

Would be grateful for any pointers!

zen
May 26, 2010, 11:26 AM
My wife and I are both getting iPads, and she's just as excited about it as I am!

Peonymac
May 26, 2010, 11:28 AM
Great. My husband doesn't share my enthusiasm. Shame.

Would be great to hear from her though - although the previous poster seems to view this as 'clutter'!:)

Izzybeff
May 26, 2010, 11:30 AM
I'm in the US and just got my iPad yesterday. I think it's fabulous! I read quite a bit last night on it and have been playing with it at work today as i'm going to be using it for work also.

Right now i'm trying to figure out how to borrow ebooks from the library on it. No success yet.

Alectric
May 26, 2010, 11:31 AM
I love my iPad and my wife who did not want one now lovers hers more than I love mine.:)

mizvalorie
May 26, 2010, 11:39 AM
I would LOVE some female specific type iPad things.

Looking forward to this thread.

antiprotest
May 26, 2010, 11:39 AM
our lovely new iPods

iPads.

Peonymac
May 26, 2010, 11:42 AM
I would LOVE some female specific type iPad things.

Looking forward to this thread.

Thank you for this and some positive support. Let's get talking ladies!:)

moseleyite
May 26, 2010, 11:48 AM
Let's get talking ladies!:)

I'm not a lady but I've bought an iPad for my wife as a suprise - I'll get her opinion as and when she's used it. :)

mizvalorie
May 26, 2010, 11:49 AM
This is how I have my iPad set up:

Coach Purse

PS Anti Glare Screen Protector

BELKIN Grip Vue

10.2 Incase Sleeve

Peonymac
May 26, 2010, 11:52 AM
This is how I have my iPad set up:

Coach Purse

PS Anti Glare Screen Protector

BELKIN Grip Vue

10.2 Incase Sleeve

I suppose that some of the accessories are only available in the US - but I'm over on business later this year - so would be glad of any pointers. I need something that's fairly robust as I'm negotiating the underground!

AJsAWiz
May 26, 2010, 11:53 AM
I can't be sure but suspect that we ladies expecting (fingers crossed) our lovely new iPods tomorrow may be in the minority here?

Anyone interested in a thread which focuses on female-friendly aspects of the iPad, accessories and useful Apps?

Would be grateful for any pointers!

I think this was a good idea. You'll get "haters" no matter where you go or what you do. I've learned that often the best response to rudeness is no response ;)

Peonymac
May 26, 2010, 11:55 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on the lovely thing tomorrow. I know that we all have different lifestyles but it would be really interesting to share positives.

Elise
May 26, 2010, 11:57 AM
Now this is my type of thread! :D

I've only ordered the Apple case, but I'm definitely holding out for something a bit more glam - hopefully during the course of the year some designers will make something trendy, feminine but practical for the laydees! :D

Loving that Louis Vuitton case!!!

OP how come you're getting your iPad tomorrow - it's not fair! *sulks* :p

vant
Posting for my gf since shes not a forum girl.

She brings it around in a coach 13843 purse with the apple case. She rocks a mbp13 otherwise.

Peonymac
I think this was a good idea. You'll get "haters" no matter where you go or what you do. I've learned that often the best response to rudeness is no response ;)

Thank you too. I think that this could be a positive thread for us too. Thanks for the advice. Shouldn't have expected anything else ;)

Peonymac
May 26, 2010, 12:03 PM
Anyone seen the Mulberry for Apple range? http://www.mulberry.com/#/storefront/c5493/c5658/

I've got their handbags and they last forever and ever. Pricey, but in 'cost per wear' they're magnificent. We have an outlet about 40 miles from here so I may be paying them a visit in the very near future...or drop some hints to my husband!

By the way. For anyone who might be accused of iPad preoccupation in the near future - just make a reference to the Football World Cup in a couple of weeks - should do the trick! ;)

May 26, 2010, 12:12 PM
Great free app for diets in the iTunes store.

Elise
May 26, 2010, 12:18 PM
Anyone seen the Mulberry for Apple range? http://www.mulberry.com/#/storefront/c5493/c5658/

I've got their handbags and they last forever and ever. Pricey, but in 'cost per wear' they're magnificent. We have an outlet about 40 miles from here so I may be paying them a visit in the very near future...or drop some hints to my husband!

By the way. For anyone who might be accused of iPad preoccupation in the near future - just make a reference to the Football World Cup in a couple of weeks - should do the trick! ;)

They are gorgeous - can't wait to see what they do for the iPad. My bags are mainly Chanel, but I doubt that they will make any Apple related accessories though.

TraceyS/FL
May 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
I tend to hang out more in the guy bag area - I'm not a girly girl! :D

I love my timbuk2 bag though, and end up using it just about most places! It fits my current life the best it seems.

I haven't had time to do much with mine since i got it, well, on the fun/playing side of things that is anyway. I keep waiting for some spare time.... It's not happening!

Like now, back to work!

Clix Pix
May 26, 2010, 12:38 PM
I'm still VERY happy with my SFBags/Waterfield Designs Portable Muzetto. A lot of times I also enjoy popping my iPad into my Vera Bradley "Hipster" bag, too. Sometimes I just stick her into a messenger bag -- I've got a couple of fairly largish ones and also a really nice, more refined-looking Jack Spade one.

AJsAWiz
May 26, 2010, 12:45 PM

Nice site! I bought a purple leather hand bag at Macys that fits my iPad to a tee, not to mention abundant inside and outside pockets for accessories.

Peonymac
May 26, 2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks to everyone for joining in and the tips! A new gadget is a GREAT excuse for a new purchase to house/protect it, no matter what nature!
I did intend that this thread would be on the main iPad page as a discussion for all female-friendly aspects of iPad use, including accessories but now we've been moved so I hope that we'll still reach others interested in how our new gizmos can enrich/organise and generally amuse us and our loved ones in the future. :)

I get mine tomorrow and so can't really comment as of yet but hopefully we can exchange all manner of ideas. Anyone out there up for building a women's iPad website - would love to get involved in that? I m no feminist but most sites seem to have a strong testosterone content.

Am very excited. Hee, hee!

Will be back tomorrow, hopefully with my iPad.

Peonymac
May 26, 2010, 01:25 PM
I'm not a lady but I've bought an iPad for my wife as a suprise - I'll get her opinion as and when she's used it. :)

She's lucky! My husband was planning the same but I spoilt it by ordering one myself.

If it's any-fraction as useful as my iPhone is in the family context (keeping children amused, education, downloading and playing on TV....) then I can't wait!

Tell her to get in touch with us. :)

Peonymac
May 26, 2010, 02:16 PM
Mr Downs is clearly a man of great intellect. I have reported this as offensive and have also requested that this thread be returned to the main iPad page as we don't just want to talk about 'accessories'. If other users agree, please let the moderators know.

Boblister
May 26, 2010, 02:28 PM
Mr Downs is clearly a man of great intellect. I have reported this as offensive and have also requested that this thread be returned to the main iPad page as we don't just want to talk about 'accessories'. If other users agree, please let the moderators know.

You always get one idiot. Just rise above it. The picture on his profile says it all.

I have passed the details of this thread on to my wife. She has an iPad 16GB WIFI coming to her tomorrow when I get my 3G one. She has graciously loaned me hers. I know for the past three weeks she has been collecting all sorts of apps. Anyway I am sure she will join this thread when she finishes whatever she is doing in Warcraft...sigh.

peskaa
May 26, 2010, 02:31 PM
Pics of boobs look spectacular on the iPad's screen. :D

Now now, don't de-rail people's threads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bEGLbCNRqw

bad angel
May 26, 2010, 02:33 PM

I thought his comment was funny.

As a woman, I must say that I find no value in having a women's-only discussion about iPad usage, apps, or accessories. Do we need separate threads because we may want iPad bags in prettier colors? Do we need separate forums to talk about apps to track my period or help me find my next outfit at the Gap? I don't. However, I'm more than happy to participate in a thread that talks about a specific app or accessory but making it for women-only is plain silly in my view (in the same way that a men-only discussion thread would be). The iPad is an electronic gadget, not something intended to help me be more womanly (nor help a man be more manly) and I don't think it needs to be treated as such. As far as I can see, the only difference between a woman and a man using an iPad is that a woman *may* have a harder time resting the iPad on her chest comfortably while lying down because of her breasts. That's it.

With that off my chest ( :D ), I have not seen any iPad accessory targeted at women that has really caught my eye so far, but I suspect that will change as more become available over time. I have started using the iP free app to track my period. I don't see a discussion on that app in the iPad Apps forum but would be happy to start one there if anyone (male or female) wants to discuss the merits and usefulness of the app.

LaNex
May 26, 2010, 02:46 PM
Another female techie iPad owner-to-be here. Mine should arrive from UPS tomorrow or Friday.

As for the haters - I am well used to them. I was a club / radio dj for many years when women were just not in that business (started aged sixteen). I got haters and ignorant comments all the time. I repaired pcs for a while too. Guess how that went down with insecure men ? I'm now doing website design and tech support for a local charity, and fronting a blues rock band - all the other members are blokes. So none of that sexist crap turns my eyes. ;) I am also severely sight impaired (registered blind) so not only do I get sexist comments, I get disable-ist comments too. I also run a music workshop / band for visually impaired people which has three women members and two male. Ha - in the majority for once. :p
My advice would be the same as many have said about the haters - ignore 'em. They get bored and go away to find something else to do soon. And if they don't - when they're talking about you, they're leaving some poor other bugger alone. :)

As for iPad accessories - I got the camera kit and dock coming and I have a SwitchEasy nude in white waiting to go on. I am looking forward to using the camera kit with a few usb mics to record the band/s. I already have a bunch of bags that will house my iPad - I was buying them back in February. I love those Mulberry bags but I would have to sell a kidney to be able to afford one. It took me long enough to save for the iPad !
I like pretty bags that are functional - not easy to come by really. Give me lots of compartments and pockets in a bag for all my kit and I'm a happy rabbit.

Thanks for setting this thread up OP - I have seen a few sistas floating around here but no where to coalesce. I have really enjoyed hanging out in the UK threads though - but I have been almost always mistaken for a dude despite often talking about my partner being a bloke. Maybe they thought I was a gay fella. :)

Peonymac
May 26, 2010, 02:56 PM
Another female techie iPad owner-to-be here. Mine should arrive from UPS tomorrow or Friday.

As for the haters - I am well used to them. I was a club / radio dj for many years when women were just not in that business (started aged sixteen). I got haters and ignorant comments all the time. I repaired pcs for a while too. Guess how that went down with insecure men ? I'm now doing website design and tech support for a local charity, and fronting a blues rock band - all the other members are blokes. So none of that sexist crap turns my eyes. ;) I am also severely sight impaired (registered blind) so not only do I get sexist comments, I get disable-ist comments too. I also run a music workshop / band for visually impaired people which has three women members and two male. Ha - in the majority for once. :p
My advice would be the same as many have said about the haters - ignore 'em. They get bored and go away to find something else to do soon. And if they don't - when they're talking about you, they're leaving some poor other bugger alone. :)

As for iPad accessories - I got the camera kit and dock coming and I have a SwitchEasy nude in white waiting to go on. I am looking forward to using the camera kit with a few usb mics to record the band/s. I already have a bunch of bags that will house my iPad - I was buying them back in February. I love those Mulberry bags but I would have to sell a kidney to be able to afford one. It took me long enough to save for the iPad !
I like pretty bags that are functional - not easy to come by really. Give me lots of compartments and pockets in a bag for all my kit and I'm a happy rabbit.

Thanks for setting this thread up OP - I have seen a few sistas floating around here but no where to coalesce. I have really enjoyed hanging out in the UK threads though - but I have been almost always mistaken for a dude despite often talking about my partner being a bloke. Maybe they thought I was a gay fella. :)

Thank you. Will ignore him and hope the thread survives. Can't believe there are so many cavemen out there - or at least they become lik that via the security of their anonymity.

LaNex
May 26, 2010, 02:56 PM
As far as I can see, the only difference between a woman and a man using an iPad is that a woman *may* have a harder time resting the iPad on her chest comfortably while lying down because of her breasts. That's it.

Actually I think the boobs would form a sort of angled support for the iPad - if you had it stood on edge and really close to your face that is. :D

Peonymac
May 26, 2010, 03:08 PM
One advantage we have! LOL!:D

ReallyBigFeet
May 26, 2010, 05:09 PM
For the chic chicks. (http://www.iclothing.com.au/idress.html)

mizvalorie
May 27, 2010, 09:50 AM

I completely agree.

I would love to talk about apps, how to use the iPad in a woman's world and in the business world. I do not believe that falls ONLY in the 'accessory' category.

Helenlister
May 27, 2010, 01:52 PM
I have passed the details of this thread on to my wife. She has an iPad 16GB WIFI coming to her tomorrow when I get my 3G one. She has graciously loaned me hers. I know for the past three weeks she has been collecting all sorts of apps. Anyway I am sure she will join this thread when she finishes whatever she is doing in Warcraft...sigh.OK I'm here now! :) Took me a while to get registered as it seems the original email I gave didn't work. Yes, I finally took over ownership of my iPad today after Bob's 3G version was delivered late this morning. So far I'm loving it very much! So much so I have not yet logged into World of Warcraft so far this evening! Though starting to get twitchy..... lol :)

Helen

Helenlister
May 27, 2010, 02:00 PM

By the way. For anyone who might be accused of iPad preoccupation in the near future - just make a reference to the Football World Cup in a couple of weeks - should do the trick! ;)Ooh nice bags! Hope they do some for the iPod soon.... would be very tempting. :) As for the footy, fortunately neither my husband nor son are interested in it so we will be a footy-free household while it's on. Great idea though for the times when avoiding footy conversation is difficult, like at work. :D

Helen

Helenlister
May 27, 2010, 02:02 PM
Great free app for diets in the iTunes store.As long as I can access my weight loss website on the iPad I will be happy (www.weightlossresources.co.uk - same username as I am here!) :)

Helen

KandyKane
May 29, 2010, 12:55 AM
Hello ladies,
I managed to convince my bf he needed to come with me to pick up my iPad last night. He just got confused and ran away to look at TVs & Stereos whilst I finalised my purchase. He is still confused why I needed to get one the day they were released in Australia :)

Not sure if they have this brand overseas, but I managed to find a Cygnett red patent case that is similar to the apple case, only thing is it folds back flat rather than on an angle, but it can kinda be propped up.

LaNex
May 29, 2010, 10:25 AM
As long as I can access my weight loss website on the iPad I will be happy (www.weightlossresources.co.uk - same username as I am here!) :)

Helen

Hiya Mrs Bob. ;) Good to finally see you.

That website is a good one, agreed. I am using the Shape Up Club app on my 3gs at the moment (six months into the diet, about 8 weeks to go to target weight). I was going to transfer it to my iPad but it is still too new to expose to the sticky fingered environment of the kitchen (where the 3gs has a screen protector installed, too - the iPad hasn't yet !) I weigh stuff out and feed it into the app as I cook. It makes cooking take about three times as long but hey, never mind.

I have just ordered a Wrappers case for my iPad. This one. (http://wrappers.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f13dbb688340120a55ab3b7970c-pi) Love that floral thing, and I wanted a soft case as I have a SwitchEasy Nude on it already (I hope it'll fit with that on it :eek:)

Cartaphilus
May 29, 2010, 11:36 AM
As long as I can access my weight loss website on the iPad I will be happy (www.weightlossresources.co.uk - same username as I am here!) :)

Helen

I hope you don't mind an interloper, but my wife and I have been tracking our weight on an Internet-connected bathroom scale called "withings". It automatically transmits your weight (not sure if it does stones, of even if Brits still do), as well as BMI and fat percentage. You can then access the record and history with a free iPhone/iPad app that in portrait mode displays one day's reading (you can swipe to the next or previous day) and in landscape mode it displays a graph of your progress (or lack thereof) over time. It is surprisingly motivating; you really see that graph in your head when deliberating on that extra helping. I learned about it from a blog by a woman who--if you can believe it--took advantage of an option to automatically post the results/history to her Facebook page. Withings.com and the Apple app store give details.

Also, let me suggest the Piel Frama cases. They aren't cheap, but very well made and available in a wide range of leather textures and colors. Their website shows a woman with pumps that precisely match the color of her iPod case!

LaNex
May 29, 2010, 11:50 AM
I learned about it from a blog by a woman who--if you can believe it--took advantage of an option to automatically post the results/history to her Facebook page. Withings.com and the Apple app store give details.

Wow, making the results public like that - she's got stones. (weight pun not intended !)

Don't tempt me with cases that match shoes - i never used to care about shoes or bags but in the last couple of years I've been quite picky and now have more handbags than is sensible !
Dammit, I'm going to have to go and look at the website now. :)

Helenlister
May 29, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hiya Mrs Bob. ;) Good to finally see you.Hi LaNex, good to see you too. :-)
That website is a good one, agreed. I am using the Shape Up Club app on my 3gs at the moment (six months into the diet, about 8 weeks to go to target weight). Yes it is a brilliant site, lots of helpful information and friendly people, both staff and other members as well as an extensive database which can be added to by anyone. I have been a member since July last year and have lost 45 pounds so far - still a long way to go for me. :)
I have just ordered a Wrappers case for my iPad. This one. (http://wrappers.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f13dbb688340120a55ab3b7970c-pi) Love that floral thingNice case! :)

Helen

Helenlister
May 29, 2010, 12:40 PM
I hope you don't mind an interloper, but my wife and I have been tracking our weight on an Internet-connected bathroom scale called "withings". Hehe, not an interloper at all! :). Yes we have those bathroom scales too and I have the app on my iPhone. I think our son had a shock when it became apparent that he and I are approximately the same weight, as we always have to confirm which of us is actually on the scales each time! :D

I certainly did not chose the option to broadcast my weight to Facebook every time either lol.:eek: :)

Helen

Helenlister
May 29, 2010, 12:46 PM
Don't tempt me with cases that match shoes - i never used to care about shoes or bags but in the last couple of years I've been quite picky and now have more handbags than is sensible !
Dammit, I'm going to have to go and look at the website now. :)LOL oh goodness, if our good friend ever gets an iPad she will have another excuse to buy lots bags and shoes! She already has hundreds of shoes and almost as many bags as it is! :D

Helen

Cuechick
May 30, 2010, 07:32 PM
I am getting my iPad this week, so excited. This is the case I got, from Javoedge via Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MXV1TG?ie=UTF8&tag=laraross-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003MXV1TG). It is really cute, arrived Friday. Have not seen it posted here, so far. Love it, have used their covers for my kindle. They also make it in a less girly black. :)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51sA0BlrbIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

MrCheeto
May 30, 2010, 07:37 PM
How does a woman use the web any differently than a man?

Cartaphilus
May 30, 2010, 11:29 PM
How does a woman use the web any differently than a man?

You must not have ever had "Charlotte's Web" read to you.

MrCheeto
May 30, 2010, 11:32 PM
...by three different teachers. What's your point?

stephg
May 31, 2010, 03:09 AM
I just ordered this neoprene sleeve:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G9R29A/ref=oss_product

I wanted something that I could slip into my purse to give a little extra protection for the iPad when I'm carrying it with me. One of the reviews said it will work with the Apple case on, so that sold me on it (well, that and I'm a sucker for zebra print). I have a belkin net book case that I got for $5 on clearance at Target which is kind of bulky. I'll keep it for travel since it will give a little more protection.

mizvalorie
Jun 2, 2010, 09:49 AM
I just ordered this neoprene sleeve:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G9R29A/ref=oss_product

Soooo cute!!! Tell me how you like it when you receive it!

Sharrpa
Jun 2, 2010, 11:05 AM
I'm completely surprised that this thread went to handbags before it was questioned how women use the internet differently than men. :rolleyes:
Techie, or not, women are different creatures than men.

I haven't had iPad long enough to hammer out the "best" apps for my needs, but here's what I have so far:

GoodReader: All business PDFs are on hand at all times in a nicely organized way. I've even organized a crapload of regulatory html pages for quick and easy access. My only wish is that I could get signatures within the app.

MobileMe: It just makes sense. I can share important documents between 3 PCs and iPad, sync calendars and find my other iProducts. I'm sure I can do more within, but again, iPad just joined the family.

textPlus: Text messages to any phone. Slow to load but I hate having too many e-gadgets to lug around. Eliminates the need for a wireless phone.

Insurance: depending on your company, you'll have an app. Mine inventories my belongings, makes claims by iPad, etc...

ABC Player and Netflix: TV on the go!

Pandora: Making my own radio stations.

NPR and BBC News: Keeping me up to date.

Atomic Web: Browser with tabs.

Weight Watchers, Betty Crocker and Epicurious: I like to cook and therefore, eat.

Multiple games for mini brain-breaks.

And... Dagi Stylus. For my signature grabbing and note writing ways.

skinsone
Jun 3, 2010, 05:11 PM
Love my iPad. I was at my Apple store yesterday for close to two hours. My itouch had battery issues as did my 3 year old MBP. They swapped out my battery in the MBP and gave me a new itouch covered under Apple care. I brought my 3G in because it wasn't syncing with Mobile me as well as it froze after using the camera connector. They also discovered that my sims card connector was bad. So they swapped out my iPad too. I went into the mall and happened by a store selling Vera Bradley. A sale .... I was able to purchase a mini laptop case for $18.00, a discontinued color. My iPad in the Apple case fits perfectly with room for the charger and camera kit. I sent back the dock as I didn't want to remove the case every time to use the dock.

Sharrpa, I have the apps, plus Kindle, you do except for Atomic web and the stylus. Still looking for one of those that I like.