PDA

View Full Version : Apple case is superb

richardmu
May 28, 2010, 04:14 PM
What is the problem with all the people that slagged off the Apple case. A dust magnet, rubbish!

I think for the price for price which is 30 in the UK is good value for an excellent case. Highly recommended.

sracer
May 28, 2010, 04:17 PM
What is the problem with all the people that slagged off the Apple case. A dust magnet, rubbish!

I think for the price for price which is 30 in the UK is good value for an excellent case. Highly recommended.
Ignorance is bliss... enjoy! ;)

niuniu
May 28, 2010, 04:19 PM
Bit premature for a review to be fair - you've only had it a matter of hours :D

Gav2k
May 28, 2010, 04:19 PM

+1 fantasic case!

richardmu
May 28, 2010, 04:35 PM
I've got a Vaja on my Touch. Love it, but for the iPad it's far too expensive.

Lots of other cases out there but for the money the Apple case takes some beating!!

fruitbat04
May 28, 2010, 04:39 PM
It's a really good fit but mines getting a bit marked already and doesn't close as flush as at the beginning after 1 day!

I'm not that bothered as I've never been one for everything looking pristine but I can see why people criticise is.

rdowns
May 28, 2010, 04:39 PM
And I've had mine since Day 1 and I love the case.

Kobra
May 28, 2010, 04:48 PM
I'd like to get one, just to know what everyone is talking about :) Any hints of a UK online store where I could get one shipped to sweden?

DoggyByte
May 28, 2010, 04:50 PM
The Apple Case sucks because it leaves color on the back of the iPad... That's why I'm going with a Belkin Grip vue and a Knit Sleeve. Perfect combination!

rdowns
May 28, 2010, 04:58 PM
The Apple Case sucks because it leaves color on the back of the iPad... That's why I'm going with a Belkin Grip vue and a Knit Sleeve. Perfect combination!

Mine has been in the case since day 1 (except for cleaning the iPad and case) and the back is pristine.

niuniu
May 28, 2010, 05:17 PM
I've got a Vaja on my Touch. Love it, but for the iPad it's far too expensive.

Lots of other cases out there but for the money the Apple case takes some beating!!

I think it's a beautiful looking case, typical of Apple to produce a premium finish.

But wait and see how it performs - I watched a vid of a guy who had one and after seating the iPad in the case in the upright position (with the case bent) - the case deforms slightly and doesn't rest tight when it's back in it's closed position.

If that's not clear it'll become apparent after a little use..

That's the one thing that I'd be concerned about

antiprotest
May 28, 2010, 05:37 PM
Right. It is not as bad as some people say.

jkrutch
May 28, 2010, 05:49 PM
And I've had mine since Day 1 and I love the case.

+1 - No issues and it wipes clean instantly.

calderone
May 28, 2010, 05:54 PM
I didn't like it. Returned it within a few days.

iserian
May 28, 2010, 06:00 PM
As someone who has been using one since 4/3 i agree with the op. i have tried many cases and have yet to find anything that combines the form factor, protection and usability of the apple case. i like it so much i am ditching my grip vue's, sleves and other combinations in favor of more apple cases.

DeuceDeuce
May 28, 2010, 06:03 PM
I love mine and don't understand all the hate either.

sracer
May 28, 2010, 06:23 PM
Right. It is not as bad as some people say.
And it's not as good as some others say. So it goes.

sracer
May 28, 2010, 06:25 PM
I love mine and don't understand all the hate either.
Take a look at the holes for the speaker area and you'll start to understand. Between misaligned holes and the seam that runs through it, nearly all of the speaker is covered.

iserian
May 28, 2010, 06:26 PM
And it's not as good as some others say. So it goes.

Don't hold back - share what is better.

iserian
May 28, 2010, 06:28 PM
Take a look at the holes for the speaker area and you'll start to understand. Between misaligned holes and the seam that runs through it, nearly all of the speaker is covered.

Lol- thats what you dislike about the case. Damn Apple for reducing the volume of my ipads.

antiprotest
May 28, 2010, 06:32 PM

Maybe yours is defective. Mine doesn't cover the speakers. There is room between the speakers and the inner edge of the case. The sound is fine.

sracer
May 28, 2010, 06:43 PM
Maybe yours is defective. Mine doesn't cover the speakers. There is room between the speakers and the inner edge of the case. The sound is fine.
http://i48.tinypic.com/2dchikp.jpg
I'm curious to see how yours doesn't cover the speaker.

vertigo235
May 28, 2010, 07:29 PM
Actually. I kind of like how the case covers the speaker. It seems to direct the sound towards me instead of out the side. Also if you are holding the ipad the edge helps keep your palm from covering the speaker.

sracer
May 28, 2010, 07:38 PM
Actually. I kind of like how the case covers the speaker. It seems to direct the sound towards me instead of out the side. Also if you are holding the ipad the edge helps keep your palm from covering the speaker.
Yeah, because the case covering the speaker is sooo much better than having your hand do it. :rolleyes:

Only in the bizarro world of Apple fandom is Ill-fitting a feature. ;)

uraniumwilly
May 28, 2010, 07:57 PM
Covering the speaker is just not acceptable.

Fry-man22
May 28, 2010, 08:07 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/2dchikp.jpg
I'm curious to see how yours doesn't cover the speaker.

Maybe because they didn't cut the **** out of it for some stupid dock opening...

You ****ed it up by cutting it and you're mad?

woodekm
May 28, 2010, 08:26 PM
I personally dont like the sharp edges all around.

Also, as tight as I fit it in the case, the screen lock switch doesnt get close enough to the edge for me to access it. If I get it to finally fit tight enough to access the switch (by forcing and stretching), the iPad eventually slowly pulls to where the switch isn't easily reachable for my finger again.

I also def have the lint/whatever on my case that alot of people have. I wish it was just smooth and not "velvety".

sracer
May 28, 2010, 08:28 PM
Maybe because they didn't cut the **** out of it for some stupid dock opening...

You ****ed it up by cutting it and you're mad?
Nice try. The misaligned speaker holes were the same BEFORE cutting out for the dock. Make sure that you continue to wear your headgear while you are on the 'net.

T4R06
May 28, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have mine since 4/3 and I love it.. Though I'm still looking for the second case that is almost bare like I order the feather.

smoked
May 28, 2010, 10:46 PM
I have both the apple case and the belkin grip vue (clear rubber case)

The apple case is nice because of the binder prop, but I don't particularly care for the hard edge nor the finish. Gets dirty fast. I like the belkin feel much better. With as scratch proof as the screen is the belkin does just fine. Of course I have to remove it to dock with the keyboard or plug in headphones...

DeuceDeuce
May 28, 2010, 11:29 PM

The speaker thing is a a bummer, the seams I don't mind. To each his own I guess but I really enjoy the case and the speaker holes not aligning don't seem to drown the sound too much IMO.

vertigo235
May 29, 2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah, because the case covering the speaker is sooo much better than having your hand do it. :rolleyes:

Only in the bizarro world of Apple fandom is Ill-fitting a feature. ;)

I hear my ipad just fine.

That's all that matters to me...

ChocolateApple
May 29, 2010, 10:12 PM
I've had the Apple case since...well, before the 3G was released.

It's a dust magnet (edges)

Once bent open for a while, the cover won't lie flat again

It screams, "I have an iPad!"

If price is the issue, I guess it's okay. I ordered the Vaja and Orbino cases because I knew the Apple case would just be a temp while the luxury cases were being handcrafted. I also want mine slightly disguised.

Supac
May 29, 2010, 10:19 PM

Wait until you had it for awhile, attract dirt, oil, and smell. My friend's smells like curry One day, then smelled like another meal mixed with another smell the next day. A week later the case smelled like shiiiiiiiiiiiit. That material absorbs odor.

sracer
May 29, 2010, 11:08 PM
I hear my ipad just fine.

That's all that matters to me...

Good for you. but when you claim that you LIKE the case covering the speaker then you are not thinking rationally.

iserian
May 30, 2010, 12:39 AM
Lol - lots of good material posted in this thread. Your friend must like his curry :eek:

Wait until you had it for awhile, attract dirt, oil, and smell. My friend's smells like curry One day, then smelled like another meal mixed with another smell the next day. A week later the case smelled like shiiiiiiiiiiiit. That material absorbs odor.

sixfifty
May 30, 2010, 03:07 AM
I bought one from the apple store in London yesterday. It looked nice enough on the box but in practical applications it doesn't work..

The flap didn't close all of the way, the volume controls became almost inaccessible and worst is the sticking out edge. It makes it very uncomfortable to play games like Asphault 5.

I will be returning mine today, apple kind of tripped up on this one I feel. It dissent do the iPad justice.

One Love 1867
May 30, 2010, 07:12 AM
I've got mixed views of the case.

The functionality is excellent. The added flexibility with regards to typing positions is a massive boost. I also like the look and feel of the case more than I thought I would. The texture is certainly better than expected, and when carrying the case around I think the extra grip and covering of the screen makes the whole thing feel more sturdy and protected. Given how tight the fit is, I also can't see there ever being a chance of it falling out.

However..

It is a massive dust magnet. Particularly in the gap between the inside edges and the iPad itself. I also think it's a little too hard to remove, which is abit of a pain and sometimes when just lounging around the house web browsing I like to see and hold the iPad by itself, so don't enjoy switching from case to no case. I also ordered an iPad dock, but this is now almost totally useless if I have any intention of using my Apple case on a regular basis. It's a pretty big oversight on Apple's part that the case and dock are at complete odds with each other. It's a shame, as I do quite like the dock.

As an aside, I ordered the dock online with my iPad and it has been unboxed and used. I've still got my online receipt, but does anyone know if the Apple store will issue a refund on the basis that it's not compatible with the case?

Personally I think the positives of the iPad case, particularly functionality wise, outweigh the negatives. I've not experienced anything like sharp edges etc either, which some seem to have reported..

olisones
May 30, 2010, 11:08 AM
I got the Apple case on Friday at Regent st for my US bought iPad that I've had for a few weeks. I was just relieved to have protection for it after carrying it around in a net book case!

I actually like the case - I can see how it will pick up dust but I've used a lint roller on it and it cleans up ok. With regards to the front not closing properly, I figure it will either be in my bag or open in my hand so it's not too bad. The stand positions are great - I had it in the up right position this morning in the kitchen watching the F1 on TVcatchup. The edges don't bother me much either.

Each to their own I guess!

CKohkah
May 30, 2010, 11:59 AM
I purchased a 32gb wifi model yesterday and since the Apple store was out of the case for it, I ordered the case online. However, there is a 4 week back order on these cases on apple.com! Expected delivery date is July 2nd!

Anyone know if the cases are shipping early with the date just a precautionary measure or are they really on a 4 week back order?!? How long did it take everyone to get their case when ordered online? It's apparently easier to find an iPad then it is the case for one!

DaLurker
May 30, 2010, 06:27 PM
Picked up the case at the Apple store on Friday when it was released in Canada and so far it's been pretty good. Better than what I expected.

I haven't tried anything else though so I don't have anything to compare to.

richardmu
Jun 2, 2010, 02:17 PM
I use a micro fibre cloth ever day or so for the case and iPad and they come clean in seconds. Dust and fingerprints gone!

Mitchrapp
Jun 2, 2010, 08:57 PM
I've had the Apple case since...well, before the 3G was released.

It's a dust magnet (edges)

Once bent open for a while, the cover won't lie flat again

It screams, "I have an iPad!"

If price is the issue, I guess it's okay. I ordered the Vaja and Orbino cases because I knew the Apple case would just be a temp while the luxury cases were being handcrafted. I also want mine slightly disguised.

My thought exactly. I had to keep on removing the iPad to clean the dust and dirt build up.

I hate the Apple case. Don't even use it anymore. And it is permanently bent. Oh well.

On the flip side, has a nice feel and is nice to hold.

orangerock
Jun 3, 2010, 09:40 PM
Baby wipes do wonders cleaning the Apple case. I like it if for no other reason it adds minimal weight and bulk.

lskeys
Jun 3, 2010, 09:43 PM
Ipad case works for me!

mcdj
Jun 3, 2010, 10:22 PM
With as scratch proof as the screen is the belkin does just fine.

How did people get it in their heads that the iPad screen is scratch proof? It's glass dude. It's MUCH softer than diamond or synthetic sapphire, and neither of those are scratch proof either.

danpass
Jun 3, 2010, 10:41 PM
Pretty happy with mine :)

stephg
Jun 4, 2010, 03:17 AM
I've had my case for almost two weeks now and still like it. I honestly don't understand the comments about it being a dust magnet. Mine does not have any buildup of dust or crud around the edges, and I've used it every day for hours. I just wipe it off with a microfiber cloth if there are any smudges on the cover.

Also, the case might be covering the speakers a little, but I can hear the sound fine. For the person asking about delivery time, when I ordered it it said 2-3 weeks and came in almost exactly 3 weeks.

sracer
Jun 4, 2010, 07:23 AM
I've had my case for almost two weeks now and still like it. I honestly don't understand the comments about it being a dust magnet. Mine does not have any buildup of dust or crud around the edges, and I've used it every day for hours. I just wipe it off with a microfiber cloth if there are any smudges on the cover.

Also, the case might be covering the speakers a little, but I can hear the sound fine. For the person asking about delivery time, when I ordered it it said 2-3 weeks and came in almost exactly 3 weeks.
I'm still waiting for people who claim that the speakers aren't covered at all, or just "a little" to post pics. Every iPad in the Apple case that I've seen has the speakers almost entirely covered up.

stephg
Jun 4, 2010, 11:30 AM
I'm still waiting for people who claim that the speakers aren't covered at all, or just "a little" to post pics. Every iPad in the Apple case that I've seen has the speakers almost entirely covered up.

I guess my point is that even though they appear to be partially covered, I can hear the sound just fine. For me, that's all that matters. Let's face it, if you want good sound, you're using earbuds. It's just not an issue for me. If it is for you, buy a different case.

LordOBoogie
Jun 4, 2010, 12:05 PM
Mine covers the speaker completely. Great design, Apple! Blah.

I still haven't find a case that I true love, but I much prefer my Marware Eco-Flip to the horror of the Apple case.

Streethawk
Jun 4, 2010, 12:38 PM
I find it really practical, and I don't mind the soakers being covered as it still sounds loud enough.

Aesthetically though, it's horrible, those edges just look cheap and nasty. Very un-Apple like. I bet Ives had nothing to do with the case design!

sracer
Jun 4, 2010, 03:28 PM
I guess my point is that even though they appear to be partially covered, I can hear the sound just fine. For me, that's all that matters. Let's face it, if you want good sound, you're using earbuds. It's just not an issue for me. If it is for you, buy a different case.
I already have the case. (as well as a Macally Bookstand and SwitchEasy Nude)

My purpose in pointing these things out is for those who DON'T already have the case and are trying to decide. It is a good idea to present what is actually going on with that case. You can dismiss all of the deficiencies of the case as "no big deal" but that isn't helping them. Present the details, let THEM decide if it is a big deal for them or not.

stephg
Jun 4, 2010, 03:51 PM
My purpose in pointing these things out is for those who DON'T already have the case and are trying to decide. It is a good idea to present what is actually going on with that case. You can dismiss all of the deficiencies of the case as "no big deal" but that isn't helping them. Present the details, let THEM decide if it is a big deal for them or not.

And that's exactly what I did - I said the speakers are partially covered but I can hear the sound fine, which I believe would be helpful for those considering this case. I'm not sure what your problem with my post is. I stated that I don't have a problem with the speakers. If you do, it's good for you to post your experience with this case, too. You are not going to make me think that I have a problem with this. Agree to disagree?

LordOBoogie
Jun 4, 2010, 03:52 PM
And that's exactly what I did - I said the speakers are partially covered but I can hear the sound fine, which I believe would be helpful for those considering this case. I'm not sure what your problem with my post is. I stated that I don't have a problem with the speakers. If you do, it's good for you to post your experience with this case, too. You are not going to make me think that I have a problem with this. Agree to disagree?

Have you listened to it without the case covering it? It sounds better.

stephg
Jun 4, 2010, 03:58 PM
Have you listened to it without the case covering it? It sounds better.

I have. I did not have a case for the first 3 weeks after I got my iPad. I don't know if it sounded better, probably louder, yes. For me, the other features of the case outweigh the slight negative of the speakers being partially covered. If I want really good sound, I will use earbuds. If someone else feels otherwise, so be it. As long as I can hear the sound when I want to, it works for me. I have looked at several cases online, and I still don't see one that fits my needs as this one does.

Macdicted
Jun 4, 2010, 05:13 PM
Screw the Apple case . Form is good , material sucks and the bottom edge that doesn't line up with the top when closed looks like crap to me.

Yoobao has identical form only made of leather , at least the current model is. When closed the edges line up and has a very light weight magnet for clousure

...... Perfect !

Same price , free shipping and no tax.

Oh yeah , took 2 days to get too , good luck waiting on the Apple case.

leepetersonuk
Jun 5, 2010, 01:29 AM
I'm quite liking the apple case but those edges are a bit sharp :(

Dogpilot
Jun 5, 2010, 04:04 PM
I waited weeks to choose a case. I went and looked at cases, unimpressed by what is offered. I actually didn't want to get an Apple case without looking at it, I've heard so much pro and con that making a decision based on reviews was pointless. So I was on a trip this week, called the Apple store in Tucson to see if on the off chance one had suddenly materialized there for me to see. Wow, they said on the phone that they had two! So I sauntered over to check it out. When I asked to see it, they said none available! Awakk, I called 18 minutes ago and you had two! Let me check, and sure enough he came out with one.

Well so far, I am pleased. It actually is better than the other stuff out there I had seen to date. I may have done a few things differently, but all in all it is a good compromise at a fair price. My biggest gripe is actually hanging on to the pad itself. It really does not have a natural grab point, so you really have to exercise the opposable thumb part of our anatomy to hold it, or cradle it like a baby. The Apple case makes it very grippy, a welcome feature. The stand feature is very convenient and increases the utility. I have made a couple of stands myself, but now really don't use them as a result.

From a style standpoint, well it isn't Gucci. Then again, very little of what I have is, so that part isn't important to me. I will still wrap it in my Domke Lens Wraps to throw it in my bag, being a belt and suspenders kind of guy. I keep my pens in my pocket and all the accessories in a small pouch for digital cameras, which I have for all my computer retract cables, camera kits and charging cubes. So not having storage is not important to me. It is just simple and functional. I stuff a lens chamois behind the flap to clean the screen off once in a while and I'm set. I wasn't looking for a Swiss Army Knife of a case anyhow, just protection and utility. It fulfills that function. I suppose it will be fine until some clever stylista comes up with something better that doesn't cost nearly as much as the pad itself.

on an odd note, it is very attractive to my cat. He likes to lie on it. Actually he likes to lie on everything I have, but since the pad seems, in his mind, important to me, it is a must lie on from his standpoint. Being a giant orange beast he covers the pad as effectively as a mother hen on eggs. The case does seem to like his fur, but so does the screen of my Macbook Pro. I'll just have to live with it and brush it off after he decides the pad needs his body heat to help it hatch.