Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
Hey guys. Quick post here about satellite and the cloud. With Satellite, you're strictly limited on bandwidth. For example with my plan I'm restricted to 375MB per day. I'm wondering what the implications will be if cloud computing becomes the norm and satellite stays the same. Disaster? :-\

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
Then you'll use 375 MB worth of bandwidth, after which you'll incur penalties or some sort of denial of service for exceeding your limits. Why would it be any different than if you went over your limit now?

That's what I'm getting at. If everything on my computer (except perhaps the OS) is remote.. my music, videos, documents, etc, I'll be out 375MB very quickly, and effectively won't be able to "access my computer" for the next day, as the limit is on a 24 hour cycle.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Hey guys. Quick post here about satellite and the cloud. With Satellite, you're strictly limited on bandwidth. For example with my plan I'm restricted to 375MB per day. I'm wondering what the implications will be if cloud computing becomes the norm and satellite stays the same. Disaster? :-\

You're assuming some other technology won't come in and replace satellite.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Won't you have a copy of everything on the cloud on your hard drive? This is how MobileMe/iDisk does it currently. It all syncs. Or am I misunderstanding something?

danielcox

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Won't you have a copy of everything on the cloud on your hard drive? This is how MobileMe/iDisk does it currently. It all syncs. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Yep, he's talking about a service that fully lives in the cloud like Spotify or Google maps on the iPhone.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
I'm just worried about the direction of this technology. More and more I'm hearing "cloud computing" this, "cloud computing" that, especially in netbooks. Just wanted to throw out there one (of the many) reasons not having your data locally is a bad idea.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Agreed and the whole cloud computing platform isn't a one size fits all. I personally don't want all of my data on someone else's servers

You are correct this is the direction

jpyc7

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Basically, you are already "penalized" for living in a rural area by being forced to get satellite instead of terrestrial internet service. The question is whether you will effectively become "more penalized" as urban area residents are able to use cloud services. My guess is "yes", but you might still be able to use cloud services.

Satellite internet service providers can raise the bandwidth limit (and charge you more for it). They can either deploy better technology (to use their satellite licenses more efficiently) or more technology (buy more licenses and satellites). They'll just pass the cost on to you.

I'm sure the 2010 USA census will show a higher percentage of Americans living in urban areas, but the rural market is still large enough to attract niche companies.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Satellite service sucks, but the providers know they have a monopoly over the people who use it. Until something comes along to make them change their policies, it won't change. And it really sucks for people forced to use them.

The problem isn't just limited to sat services. Several ISPs have implemented bandwidth caps. Comcast has a 250GB/month cap, and Cox or Time-Warner (I can't remember which) has a pathetic 40GB cap. Cable providers are afraid of things like streaming Netflix, Hulu, etc, and will do everything in their power to block their customers from using them. I fully expect AT&T to introduce caps. I'm not sure about Verizon.

I find it funny when I see all these wonderful technologies like Netflix and Hulu while the U.S. ISPs are so far behind the times. It's kind of hard to enjoy HD streaming with painfully slow and capped internet.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Basically, you are already "penalized" for living in a rural area by being forced to get satellite instead of terrestrial internet service. The question is whether you will effectively become "more penalized" as urban area residents are able to use cloud services. My guess is "yes", but you might still be able to use cloud services.

My guess would be that if cloud computing "really" takes off, something or other will get worked out because it will eventually affect a lot of users of satellite service, and they will complain. But there will be a period of time when it will be increasingly uncomfortable for them. I mean, already, if one had the 375MB cap the OP mentioned, using things like Hulu and Netflix VoD would already be iffy, let alone using iTunes to buy movies. And all of those things are "today" internet things to which a small set of rural customers have diminished or very expensive access.

OTOH, to be fair, the fact that rural users are adversely affected isn't really a good reason to reject a technology in itself. People who live in rural areas have always been faced with the fact that they won't have access to certain things, be they 3G data networks, dedicated cupcake restaurants, or opera houses. It's a sacrifice one makes when they live in the middle of nowhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.