PDA

View Full Version : what is the original iPad case made from?

alecgold
May 30, 2010, 06:36 AM
I have been wondering what the original Apple iPad case has been made from.
ive got the idea that it has been made from TPU with a nylon/polyester fabric at it's hart.
If that is the case, the Apple ipad case might not be the pretiest around, but it might last longer than any other case.

I've got a foldable kayak with a hypalon skin (a Klepper Aerius, wooden frame, cotton/hypalon skin, build in Germany and very nice imho).
Those hypalon skin's have been around for ages and ages, but last year Klepper came out with a new skin. about 1/8 of the thickness and much, much lighter. I got a small sample of the TPU skin and it's almost impossible to damage. Even a chisel had a hard time getting through. It needs to be that though, because when you land, you grind it over sand,pebbles, rocks or shells. And all of those can be really abrasive and cut quite deep in your feet.

The sample of TPU is just as flexible as the not-stiff parts of the Apple case, doesn't smell either and has a bit smoother surface (but that is just the way it was finished).

Did anybody find anywhere what the case was made from?

Chupa Chupa
May 30, 2010, 06:44 AM
The Apple case is not TPU. It's a vinyl and microsuede around a cardboard or plastic core.

Karnivore
May 30, 2010, 09:50 AM
Mine is made from unicorn hide.

alecgold
May 30, 2010, 10:18 AM

Rofl

rdowns
May 30, 2010, 10:46 AM

Post of the Day™!

Well done, sir. :D

Karnivore
May 30, 2010, 01:02 PM
Post of the Day™!

Well done, sir. :D

They don't call iPad "magical" for no reason ;)