Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Monthly Desktops Guidelines:

• For large images use rather than [img]
• Use attachments when necessary so images don't disappear when they are removed from their source
• When possible, include links to the full-sized original so others can download them. If you don't want to share, state that in your posts so others don't continue to ask for links.
• When quoting a post with images, remove the images to reduce clutter
• Please report any posts you feel need attention by clicking on this icon: [IMG]http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/buttons/report.gif.
• If you would like an original wallpaper I would recommend using TinEye

June 2010 is over, here is the July Desktops 2010 thread.

I re-orgainzed my desk, so I felt like a different like a different Wallpaper was needed too. Any ideas for what could make this the best desktop ever?
Wallpaper by manicho, Dock Icons by brsev, Theme by Wowzera (where are you?)
10d23e9d0002e52ee206f0f75a127c32.png

February Desktops 2010March Desktops 2010April Desktops 2010May Desktops 2010June Desktops 2010

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Not much different to last month. It is just such a beautiful place

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-05-31 at 20.03.15.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-05-31 at 20.03.15.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 362

sshaw

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
This took me a while to get exactly how I wanted but here it is.

It's on my secondary display. My primary display isn't anything special since I always have an app open full screen. The hardest part was getting the AM/PM to change at the proper time. I found a great little program called The Twenty-Four Hour Movie to switch between the two images at 12AM and 12PM.

Icons:
Delorean - Mac HD with OS
Mr. Fusion - External HD
Flux Capacitor is what makes time travel possible - Time Machine external HD

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-01 at 4.52.16 PM (2).png
    Screen shot 2010-06-01 at 4.52.16 PM (2).png
    957.8 KB · Views: 686

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009

It's on my secondary display. My primary display isn't anything special since I always have an app open full screen. The hardest part was getting the AM/PM to change at the proper time. I found a great little program called The Twenty-Four Hour Movie to switch between the two images at 12AM and 12PM.

Nice to see you got it working. How much CPU/RAM does The 24 hour movie use? How are you getting the quotes?

sshaw

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Nice to see you got it working. How much CPU/RAM does The 24 hour movie use? How are you getting the quotes?

Thanks, I was pretty excited to get it working also.

The 24 Hour Movie uses next to nothing. I don't even see it in my processes. It runs in the background and you don't even need the app to be open. Here is was the developer told me..."It adds a Launch Agent that periodically runs, changing the desktop background. It's harmless, really ... you can even check it out in your ~/Library/LaunchAgents folder after you first enable the feature."

Here is the quotes script I used. Don't remember where I got it, may have been on here. I still haven't figured out a way to have the author always on a separate line.

quotesource=http://www.quotedb.com/quote/quote.php?action=random_quote

curl -s ${quotesource} |sed -e :a -e 's/<[^>]*>//g;/</N;//ba' | \
sed -e s/document.write\(\'//g | \
sed -e s/\'\)\;//g | \
sed 's/More quotes from / -- /g'| \
sed '$!N;s/\n/ /'

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL

Icons:
Delorean - Mac HD with OS
Mr. Fusion - External HD
Flux Capacitor is what makes time travel possible - Time Machine external HD

My vote for Desktop of the year!

Any way you could make this downloadable??? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.