PDA

View Full Version : YouTube is slow on the iPad

crazycat
Jun 1, 2010, 04:27 PM
When I watch a YouTube video on my iPad I would have to wait for it to buffer up and sometimes takes 6 mins to view a 3 min clip.

On my laptop i would just open the video and watch it without any load time, it seems the loading of the video is anywhere from x2 to x5 times faster on a laptop. Is there any king of fix for this problem.

Thanks

BergerFan
Jun 1, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'm having exactly the same problem. I tested the YouTube app and the mobile site, and the same thing happens. I found that it's not only YouTube, but any site that streams very high-res video, where I have the same issues.

Again, there's no issue on my mid-range laptop, and hi-def videos work with no buffering issues, on the same Wi-Fi network. :mad:

Brookzy
Jun 1, 2010, 04:59 PM
When I watch a YouTube video on my iPad I would have to wait for it to buffer up and sometimes takes 6 mins to view a 3 min clip.

On my laptop i would just open the video and watch it without any load time, it seems the loading of the video is anywhere from x2 to x5 times faster on a laptop. Is there any king of fix for this problem.

Thanks

I'm having the same issue, albeit sporadically. Sometimes the video loads fine, other times it takes years. Really strange. I do have a fairly slow connection but YouTube's fine on my desktop.

Annoying.

martynmc7
Jun 1, 2010, 05:12 PM
Yeah, this is something I've been experiencing, though nothing like 6 minutes of waiting for a 3 minute video. I wonder why this is considering the iPhone app is very quick for me on the same network, and on my laptop. Hopefully this is simply a software issue that can be resolved in a point update, or in OS 4.0.

BATTLE BORN
Jun 1, 2010, 06:06 PM
my 32g wifi model was delivered today with the same problem

DenniZ
Jun 1, 2010, 06:11 PM
Are you guys using the youtube app or using the website.

I have had better luck using the website compared to the app.

Macpowered
Jun 1, 2010, 06:12 PM
No problems here.

Arran
Jun 1, 2010, 06:16 PM
Try turning bluetooth off.

Worked for me - although it might've been coincidence?

BergerFan
Jun 1, 2010, 07:03 PM
Are you guys using the youtube app or using the website.

I have had better luck using the website compared to the app.Ive tried both and the problem occurs whenever I try to stream high def video.

Maaz
Jun 1, 2010, 11:36 PM
It's so annoying.

sheppy1
Jun 1, 2010, 11:39 PM
I've had this problem once so far and I've watches a tone of YouTube videosmon my iPad, all I did to fix it was to reboot my modem and router and voilà they started working properly again with no waiting for them to buffer

Star56
Jun 1, 2010, 11:42 PM
No problem with my two ipads playing youtube 720p videos.

VladM
Jun 2, 2010, 01:39 AM
Same problem here. It's most annoying, because it makes youtube useless to me. I hope a fix for this comes out soon.

MacRy
Jun 4, 2010, 12:44 PM
I'm getting annoyed with this problem too. Constantly having to wait for a video to buffer really takes the "magic" out of the iPad experience. Weirdly I watched an hour long streamed program from the BBC iPlayer site with no buffeting at all and in pretty high quality. Hopefully we will see a fix for this in a future update.

jimHdk
Jun 4, 2010, 01:10 PM

Thanks

I've had no problems with Youtube on a 64G WiFi iPad through an 802.11g router and a cable modem as well as with an 802.11g router and DSL service.

Check your network speeds with the Speedtest app.

BergerFan
Jun 4, 2010, 01:42 PM
I'm getting annoyed with this problem too. Constantly having to wait for a video to buffer really takes the "magic" out of the iPad experience. Weirdly I watched an hour long streamed program from the BBC iPlayer site with no buffeting at all and in pretty high quality. Hopefully we will see a fix for this in a future update.Agreed. The iPlayer interface is attrocious and you can't make a widescreen video fullscreen, but the videos play with high quality and zero buffering - the complete opposite of YouTube(native app or mobile site) on the iPad.

ajohnson253
Jun 4, 2010, 02:04 PM
It's usually YouTubes problem, not the iPad.

advan031
Jun 4, 2010, 02:48 PM
Same here over wifi but it loads quickly over 3G but the quality is s#ht.

LordOBoogie
Jun 4, 2010, 02:49 PM
Can't say I've had this issue.

hsotnicam8002
Jun 4, 2010, 03:08 PM
I have this problem too. I appreciate that my BT extended reach broadband speed is crap (even though I pay the top rate for which others can receive up to 8x faster!). However, YouTube plays OK on my iMac and MacBook. If I remember rightly, when I first received my iPad just over 6 weeks ago YouTube played fine, but over the past few weeks it has become jerky and slow to buffer. Sometimes it doesn't buffer at all and I have to keep pressing play until buffering is complete - what a way to watch a movie - it's like having a stammer in my brain!

I've tried resetting my modem and I've tied turning off bluetooth but neither of these change things. Anyway I want to use my bluetooth earphones so that is not helpful.

The ipad has bee out a while now and though I appreciate that some issues and improvements will take a while, for some IMPORTANT problems Apple need to pull their finger out and get an interim update to solve them!

Streethawk
Jun 4, 2010, 03:15 PM
Me too, it's very slow, I don't think it's a youtube problem, maybe the app has some issues, hopefully it'll be fixed in the next update.

Treebark
Jun 4, 2010, 04:48 PM
Same problem here, and I think my 3GS has the same issue but don't use it much for youtube.

For those that say to reboot modem/router or test network speed, remember that on other devices (mac desktop, windows computer, macbook) the speed is just fine and videos play right away, yet on the iPad 6 minutes download for a 3 minute video when another device plays it right away is the problem.

And I haven't noticed it on other sites/videos (ABC Player, Netflix, etc.), only youtube.

As far as connection speed, desktop speedtest shows over 10 Mbps, though the test on the iPad only shows 2-3. But even 2-3 shouldn't increase youtube videos only by 1000%.

And it appears to be a somewhat common problem, just google "youtube slow on ipad" to see lots of complaints.

Loves2spoon
Jun 4, 2010, 05:04 PM

Thanks

Sorry to hear your troubles, I've had a wonderful youtube experience. Videos buffer for 2-3 seconds and plays very quickly. Have you tried resetting your modem/router?

mcdj
Jun 4, 2010, 05:11 PM
There has been discussion of YouTube throttling speeds in major traffic areas. I live in NYC and even on my MacBook I get buffering issues regularly. So it could be partially a regional problem.

Grilloman
Jun 4, 2010, 07:50 PM

Thanks

same here I thought I was the only one. I stil dont know why it only happen with youtube other streaming works like a charm, for example Air video.

DaBrain
Jun 4, 2010, 08:06 PM
Same problem here. It's most annoying, because it makes youtube useless to me. I hope a fix for this comes out soon.

Yep! Same here 95% of the time? Basically it's crap even with a 7.1 Meg DSL.

I even get this on my iMac but not as often! For me, ever since google took it over it's been garbage!

All other streaming here including HD movies from netflix stream fine to 2 HDTV's at the same time!

I think it's a Google issue with crappy BW and their throttling in different areas!

Very annoying! :eek:

GermanSuplex
Jun 7, 2010, 10:31 PM
I had great luck with Youtube on the iPad my first few days, but now its just like it is on my iPhone: pretty much worthless.

On my iPhone, videos play fine with little or no buffering on 3G, but of course the quality is diminished.

On the iPad and iPhone, Youtube or streaming video from Apple.com or pretty much any other site is useless. Plays the first few seconds and then refuses to play further, or will continuously buffer.

And I haven't noticed it on other sites/videos (ABC Player, Netflix, etc.), only youtube.

Excellent point, I stream my Slingbox via the Slingbox app, and the ABC streams near-HD video flawlessly at my job's fairly slow network.

gdeputy
Jun 8, 2010, 12:41 AM
I had issues with my iPad at first even though my computer worked fine. I simply returned my router to factory settings and restarted it and ever since my iPad has been perfect. I have no complaints.

Treebark
Jun 22, 2010, 09:44 AM
I had issues with my iPad at first even though my computer worked fine. I simply returned my router to factory settings and restarted it and ever since my iPad has been perfect. I have no complaints.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for everyone, myself included. Any other ideas? I actually have tried on three different routers in three different locations, one buffalo fresh new, one apple extreme rebooted, and one linksys with tomato firmware. And two different iPads.

Given my experience, the number of people who also experience slowness (and even those who have to refresh routers to get it to be better) I can't help but think there is an issue somewhere with the iPad's youtube implementation or lack of memory or netowrk or I don't know what, but something.

:(

tuxing
Jun 22, 2010, 10:44 AM
Same problem here
Thought it was my network problem.
Upgraded from 512kbps to 8 Mbps - still YouTube on iPad sux!

Ed J
Jul 15, 2010, 09:48 PM
The following tip from another website helped me a lot:

Turn off auto-brightness. If it didn’t work for so many users, we wouldn’t believe it ourselves. To do this, tap Settings, then select “Brightness & Wallpaper” from the left-hand pane. Slide the auto-brightness option to off.

After I did this I watched five videos and in only one case did the buffering not stay ahead of the playback.

Previously I had tried rebooting my router and that hadn't helped.

Treebark
Jul 15, 2010, 10:21 PM
The following tip from another website helped me a lot:

Turn off auto-brightness. If it didn’t work for so many users, we wouldn’t believe it ourselves. To do this, tap Settings, then select “Brightness & Wallpaper” from the left-hand pane. Slide the auto-brightness option to off.

After I did this I watched five videos and in only one case did the buffering not stay ahead of the playback.

Previously I had tried rebooting my router and that hadn't helped.

I may give the auto brightness a shot but I have moved on to m.youtube.com in safari which plays higher quality video and loads very fast. No problems whatsoever with it.

Ed J
Jul 15, 2010, 10:36 PM
I may give the auto brightness a shot but I have moved on to m.youtube.com in safari which plays higher quality video and loads very fast. No problems whatsoever with it.

I will try that, too. It wouldn't help with embedded YouTube though would it?

Anyway, I wanted to note that further testing has shown it is more effective for me to adjust brightness upward. From appletoolbox.com:

Adjust brightness upward. Likewise, this issue can sometimes be resolved by simply adjusting the iPad’s brightness level upward and off the lowest setting. To do this, tap Settings, then select “Brightness & Wallpaper” from the left-hand pane. Slide the brightness bar upward, then wait 1-2 minutes and check for an improvement in signal strength.*Speculation holds that a power delivery issue associated with the screen brightness affects Wi-Fi.

BigEvil
Jul 27, 2010, 02:25 AM
the solution (http://apple-ipad-tablet-help.blogspot.com/2010/07/fix-ipad-youtube-slow.html)

Change your dns.
Worked for me, blazing fast now. Had the same problem as all of you and its fixed. Hopefully apple addresses in a future sw update

i-Want-Apples
Jul 29, 2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The speed of YouTube is really upsetting to me. One of the main things I wanted to use the iPad for was to catch up on all my subscriptions at night before bed and things. However, because of how slow the speeds are I haven't watched one full video yet because it is just too annoying to wait on. I tried watching a 55 second video last night, thinking it would be short and not take as long, after 5 minutes and getting to see about 20 seconds I decided it wasn't worth it.

I tried turning auto brightness off and it didn't make a difference at all. Before and after the change I can typically watch 2 seconds or so and then it need to load for a while before I can proceed. I tried changing the DNS and it seems to help a little, the same video from last night I was about to watchin about 20 seconds in less than a minute, but then it stopped and started taking a while to buffer again. So, it is slightly improved but still not good enough that I would watch a bunch of videos on it.

I really hope a fix comes along for this really soon. I downloaded ABC player yesterday, thinking it would be an issue as well, but everything runs so smoothly and perfectly, I'd love for YouTube to be a little more like this.

Again, thanks for the suggestions!

malnar
Jul 29, 2010, 01:04 PM
the solution (http://apple-ipad-tablet-help.blogspot.com/2010/07/fix-ipad-youtube-slow.html)

Change your dns.
Worked for me, blazing fast now. Had the same problem as all of you and its fixed. Hopefully apple addresses in a future sw update
I'm not at home and so can't try this - but I did do something similar before, but only put in one address. Are we supposed to put BOTH DNSs in there? Because just one or the other did not work.

Tap Setting > WiFi, and click on DNS, then type the following

Save it.
Then turn off wifi and turn it back on again.

DaneGuy
Jul 29, 2010, 01:07 PM

Change your dns.

Any downside to using OpenDNS' DNS servers?

GaresTaylan
Jul 29, 2010, 01:42 PM
I have this issue sometimes, but switching to the youtube site instead of the app almost always fixes it.

BigEvil
Jul 30, 2010, 02:07 AM
Any downside to using OpenDNS' DNS servers?

Yes, faster youtube

hualon
Sep 8, 2010, 09:37 PM
Sorry to dredge up this old thread but I didn't think it needed a new one. I am still having slow YouTube at home. I have tried:

Reboot router
Reboot cable modem
Replace DNS on iPad with openDNS
Reboot iPad
Delete network, add again
Use YouTube app, site, and embedded
drop all wireless to G ONLY

but I still can't play a video. Every time I get a few seconds in and it stops to buffer again.

Videos on the desktop machine and AppleTV load and play instantly.

I have a 2-year old Linksys (router/wireless) and an airport extreme (used as a WAP only). The encryption is WPA2 psk.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I was wondering if this was because Apple has to transcode the flash on YouTube to QuickTime. Am I wrong there?

WTF is going on?!? :mad:

FortWorthMac
Sep 8, 2010, 11:45 PM
Sorry to dredge up this old thread but I didn't think it needed a new one. I am still having slow YouTube at home. I have tried:

Reboot router
Reboot cable modem
Replace DNS on iPad with openDNS
Reboot iPad
Delete network, add again
Use YouTube app, site, and embedded
drop all wireless to G ONLY

but I still can't play a video. Every time I get a few seconds in and it stops to buffer again.

Videos on the desktop machine and AppleTV load and play instantly.

I have a 2-year old Linksys (router/wireless) and an airport extreme (used as a WAP only). The encryption is WPA2 psk.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I was wondering if this was because Apple has to transcode the flash on YouTube to QuickTime. Am I wrong there?

WTF is going on?!? :mad:

Don't feel bad I have a similar iPad, router and dns settings and i too have the same problem.

Works fine on my 2 year old iMac and iPhone 4 but not the iPad.

BergerFan
Sep 9, 2010, 04:26 AM
The issue must placed at iOS' door.
My router is fine. My 2-year old Dell(don't laugh) laptop loads and plays HD YouTube instantly, my PS3 has no issues, my friend's 3GS has no issues. Only my iPad and iPhone 4 suffer this.
It's not just YouTube either. HQ videos on Apple.com, GameTrailers.com, etc suffer the same, pausing, buffering, sometimes freezing state.
I updated my iPad to 3.2.2(had no need for it's jailbreak), and things are better, but I'm sure that's purely down to the restore, and things will bog down again, in the very near future. :(

Hermes Monster
Sep 9, 2010, 03:54 PM
I've had all the same issues, but the annoying thing is I'll try one of the suggestions and it will work fine for a few days but then goes to hell again - extremely annoying! what makes it worse (as with everyone else), my iPhone 4, crappy laptop etc all work fine!

Also, I have general issues with Safari a page will load to the point of the www. In the progress bar and then stop. Turning wi-fi on/off resolves it for a short while, but it's extremely annoying considering web browsing/you tubeing in comfort is the main reason I bought the iPad :rolleyes:

jordanogrady
Sep 28, 2010, 06:18 PM
This is really really annoying me too. It's just YouTube on the iPad! All other devices are fine!
I hope there is an update soon to fix this!

leons
Sep 28, 2010, 06:43 PM
Changing my DNS Servers to Googles ON MY ROUTER fixed it for me.

DNAppleGold
Sep 29, 2010, 03:42 PM
Changing my DNS Servers to Googles ON MY ROUTER fixed it for me.

Making this changed has also helped greatly, although there are times where it's still slower than my computer. Note, you have to make the change for each new WiFi connection. I found this out the hard way on a recent business trip.

DaneGuy
Sep 29, 2010, 04:13 PM
Making this changed has also helped greatly, although there are times where it's still slower than my computer. Note, you have to make the change for each new WiFi connection. I found this out the hard way on a recent business trip.

Is this Google's?

leons
Sep 29, 2010, 11:07 PM
No, those are Open DNS's. Googles are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

vw195
Oct 1, 2010, 01:50 PM
Im amazed that the solution provided is to change DNS. I am already using openDNS and I have slow as %^$ youtube. This is most definitely an ios problem because my evo streaming at 3G, 4G, and WiFi eats through HQ youtube like butter. Personally I think it is the wifi drivers, because when I tether to my Evo in 4G, Speed test shows 800kbps down on ipad, 3Mbps down on netbook and ~5 Mpbs down on evo. I have not been able to reconcile this speed difference and the majority of time I have crappy youtube

leons
Oct 4, 2010, 11:46 AM
There IS a problem of unknown origin. Changing DNS does not solve the problem, but for many, it alleviates the symptoms. But the DNS change that helps in most cases is to change to GOOGLES DNS, not Open DNS.

Noblelady56
Nov 19, 2010, 07:08 AM
It's not just YouTube on my iPad. It's Netflix as well and any video. Ever since I got my iPad back in June, this has been happening. I took it to a genius at the Apple store and he said it was my router. Seriously! He also said it had to do with the walls, equipment, and the cabling. Well, I called ATT, gee what a surprise! They sent me a new router for $80. I installed it and guess what? Nothing changed. My speed was a little better, though, but the buffering issue still continues. This really stinks. Hopefully, Apple will get a fix for this. It's really frustrating!
:mad:

laksemand
Nov 23, 2010, 05:29 PM
I am suffering the same problem with Youtube, however, HD videos on Gametrailers.com works better - though not as good as on the Air.

It so typical to blame the router. When I worked as a supporter at a DSL carrier, we always blamed the router even though we suspected other issues. Guess I'm paying for that now.

Anyone solved it with 4.2.1?

ricardorp
Nov 23, 2010, 08:29 PM
I am suffering the same problem with Youtube, however, HD videos on Gametrailers.com works better - though not as good as on the Air.

It so typical to blame the router. When I worked as a supporter at a DSL carrier, we always blamed the router even though we suspected other issues. Guess I'm paying for that now.

Anyone solved it with 4.2.1?

Upgraded to iOS 4.2 and the problem remains... disappointing...

ricardorp
Nov 23, 2010, 10:27 PM
so after putting some thought to it I found I way to mitigate the problem... Start by using youtube's website on Safari or another browser. Once the video starts loading, click on the red "HQ" icon on the bottom right side. The icon will become grey and the videos from now on are going to play in lower resolution. It doesn't look as nice as it does with "HQ" turned on, but it loads much faster. Of course this only applies if you are using Youtube via browser.

I hope this helps!:)

laksemand
Nov 24, 2010, 05:19 PM
I've also tried it, but I just cant justify looking at such pixelated videos - and I don't think I have to. I've tried three different routers, but the problem remains. It's really beginning to annoy me. For me, Youtube is worthless.

Anyone mailed Steve yet? ;)

jakz
Nov 29, 2010, 02:21 PM
This appears (at least in my case) to be related to the speed of your current Internet connection when using the YouTube app on the iPad. For example:

At Home (3GB down max), videos take forever to buffer, start playing and usually catch up to the buffer within several seconds and pauses to buffer again. Therefore, the iPad YouTube app is completely useless at Home.

At my Office (7GB down max), videos take about 20-30 seconds to buffer, start playing and usually the playback lags slightly behind the buffer cache, occasionally catching the buffer and pausing for about 10 seconds while it buffers, then resumes play. Sometimes it will play the entire video without pausing to buffer further.

At my brother's house (10+ GB down), videos take about 5-6 second to buffer and play without ever pausing to buffer no matter how long the video is, or if it is HQ or not.

These tests were all done with my 32GB WiFi iPad using the iPad YouTube app over the wifi connections at each location. Granted this is far from scientific as each location has a different ISP and different infrastructure hardware (routers, firewalls).

Also, as stated previously, there is no way possible that this issue is related to DNS entries. If you know anything about how name resolution works, you cannot argue this. The fact that some people are having success with this may be related to refreshing the IP stack when you force the DNS server addresses or something else like that.

Of course, I am willing to discuss why changing the DNS entries works if someone has a theory beyond, "It just does". The fact that it does not work for everyone proves that this is not a valid fix and there is clearly something else going on.

GuPad
Nov 29, 2010, 04:20 PM
Indeed, by disabling iPad notifications in the settings and also by uninstalling some newspaper apps that i do not use anymore, YouTube was just playing as before.

I've saved myself :p , YouTube was unbearable !!! :mad:

GuPad
Dec 1, 2010, 12:10 PM
Indeed, by disabling iPad notifications in the settings and also by uninstalling some newspaper apps that i do not use anymore, YouTube was just playing as before.

I've saved myself :p , YouTube was unbearable !!! :mad:

Why no one say if my solution works for him ???
It's incredible, i CAN now see HD trailers without any lags !!!!!!!!:eek:

Hope my experience will help someone... ;)

GarryJay
Dec 27, 2010, 10:29 PM
Turning off iPad notifications worked. Had bluetooth off before, didn't help.
Thanks GuPad! Already thought youtube is lost on the pad. Awesome.

Roadrunner22
Jan 3, 2011, 08:43 AM
I've tried all of the above.

The only thing that works(and it works great) is to go to settings and reset factory settings for networks. Then rejoin your wifi network(pain in the arse). It's not ideal but YouTube was driving me crazy it was so slow.

Hope this helps :)

AscendoInc
Jan 3, 2011, 03:10 PM
If you are using Wi-Fi, you may want to try to "Renew Lease" in Settings > General > Network > choose Wi-Fi connection and click on blue arrow, then click on Renew Lease at bottom of screen.

Best,
Marc

tinywireless
Jan 9, 2011, 01:44 PM
Followed the advice on turning off "Notifications" and it worked for me. Thanks. youtube is much faster now.

MP3Hobbes
Jan 11, 2011, 10:00 AM
Disabling notifications worked for me as well. None of the DNS solutions helped.

BlackMax
Jan 20, 2011, 09:44 AM
I've really started to experience the same issue, but following a little testing I noticed that YouTube is only slow when viewed using my wireless connection. Using the 3G connection it is fine.

So there is something with the way wireless is working that is the issue. The AP I have is the standard Linksys WAP54g in "G" mode.

Has anyone noticed the same behavior with YouTube performance via 3G = GOOD and via wireless = POOR?

TheGenerous
Jan 25, 2011, 01:54 AM
Why no one say if my solution works for him ???
It's incredible, i CAN now see HD trailers without any lags !!!!!!!!:eek:

Hope my experience will help someone... ;)

works for me,
i love you

no i dont

jessep28
Feb 13, 2011, 10:58 AM
I hate to bring this back from the dead but I was able to go into my YouTube playback settings and un-check a box to automatically stream HD content on fullscreen. It seemed to help. High definition YouTube videos aren't important to me so this was a small sacrifice.

My theory is that the iPad is automatically pulling HD content, which may or may not be ideal. High definition clips are monster files and when you try and view them during peak bandwidth times over a wi-fi connection, the videos aren't going to load quickly.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/jessep28/Screenshot2011-02-13at104953AM.png

EazyWeazy3
Feb 16, 2011, 05:27 PM
Very slow for me as well also.

Frustrating at times.

dmoening
Jun 18, 2011, 10:40 PM
Notifications off fixed my issues as well