PDA

View Full Version : Colour Samsung Yepp beats Ipod too it..

JLS
Oct 12, 2004, 05:38 PM
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2004/1012/samsung_6.jpg

20GB Mp3 Player, same form factor as iPod.. with a colour screen.

Mr. Anderson
Oct 12, 2004, 05:52 PM
Any links to specs?

Does it interface with digital cameras and display photos, etc.

One thing the iPod has that this doesn't is brand recognition.

D

Steven1621
Oct 12, 2004, 06:29 PM
it certainly seems nice, but it's not an ipod...and that makes a HUGE difference to a lot of people. status, remember status!

JLS
Oct 12, 2004, 07:10 PM
Any links to specs?

Does it interface with digital cameras and display photos, etc.

One thing the iPod has that this doesn't is brand recognition.

D

The only specs avaliable at the moment are that it has a 65,000 color LCD, the hard drive is 1.8" size and the 20GB device is 'motion JPEG compatible'.

I will post any other specs as I find them.

Blue Velvet
Oct 12, 2004, 07:22 PM
Is it just me or does anybody have a problem with Samsung generally?

Don't they make the crappiest consumer stuff out there?

In London, people often toss their old TVs/microwaves/videos out on the street. Invariably, at least half of them will be Samsungs...

Macmaniac
Oct 12, 2004, 08:20 PM
Who cares, it can never touch the iPod UI. It will only take time before we see an Apple color iPod.

aswitcher
Oct 12, 2004, 08:28 PM
Engadget has some info on model number

http://www.engadget.com/entry/6684793146068803/

tdhurst
Oct 12, 2004, 08:35 PM
Why does everyone want a color screen iPod? All it will do is bring down battery life...and photo viewing on a new 60 gig model (rumored)? What kind of pics can you actually view on that small of a screen?

aswitcher
Oct 12, 2004, 08:41 PM
Why does everyone want a color screen iPod? All it will do is bring down battery life...and photo viewing on a new 60 gig model (rumored)? What kind of pics can you actually view on that small of a screen?

Colour is the future...you can do more with colour.

Well they just got new batteries so it shouldn't suffer too much...and oled might fix that.

What kind of pics do you view on the back of your camera now...1.5 or 1.8 inch screen for reviewing...no real diff.

:D

tdhurst
Oct 12, 2004, 08:50 PM
What more can I do with color? And I have my camera to review pics...

7on
Oct 12, 2004, 09:17 PM

In London, people often toss their old TVs/microwaves/videos out on the street. Invariably, at least half of them will be Samsungs...

Hmmm, but Apple's LCDs come from Samsung!!!

*head explodes*

I like the iPod because I can keep my library on another computer and travel with my powerbook and plug it in and see my library on the iPod. File hierarchies are soooooo last millennium ;P

aswitcher
Oct 12, 2004, 09:49 PM
What more can I do with color? And I have my camera to review pics...

Ok, colour can be used for a bunch of music stuff - album art, equilizers, themes/artists by colour, etc

As for camera, why waste you camera battery (which I hazard to say is much less than even a colour ipods is) reviewing images when you can do it on an ipod which in theory should be a much easier device to cycle through shots, zoom etc...plus this is all your photos when your away from your computer (holiday etc) not just whats on the card. Rate your photos as you go on your ipod and when weeks later you synch with your home machine you can get the highlights list - ditto for people you run into on the trip who want to see stuff you shot - star system quickly allows highlights...

I am sure with a little more thought many other cool ideas will come to mind for colour.

Dr. Dastardly
Oct 12, 2004, 10:15 PM
Can't the gui remain colorless while the color is just activated when viewing photos or something?

stoid
Oct 12, 2004, 11:12 PM
Can't the gui remain colorless while the color is just activated when viewing photos or something?

AFAIK, color LCDs will use the same amount of battery whether they are displaying black and white or color. It has to do with the backlight.

tdhurst
Oct 12, 2004, 11:18 PM
yeah, I get that, but it would seem that the backlight would be used more often in order to actually see the color. I just don't see why the iPod doesn't just stay simple, i.e. make it smaller, better battery life, etc.

iJon
Oct 12, 2004, 11:50 PM
Only thing I would really like to see if Apple team up with some other camera companies to make data cables. I would love to take some pictures on my Elph and then use a cable between it and the firewire on the iPod and drop all my pictures on it. This would all me to take tons of pictures without purchasing expensive memory cards, it would be fast, and it would eliminate the need for me to take my PowerBook for picture dumping on future trips. I know we have the Belkin device, but my way would just require one last thing.

iJon

Flynnstone
Oct 13, 2004, 12:18 AM
Since the current iPods are black & white, I would like to see Apple use chloric (sp?) or zero power LCDs to save power.

Abstract
Oct 13, 2004, 12:22 AM
Why does everyone want a color screen iPod? All it will do is bring down battery life...and photo viewing on a new 60 gig model (rumored)? What kind of pics can you actually view on that small of a screen?.....

....What more can I do with color? And I have my camera to review pics.

Does your mobile phone have a colour screen? Does a mobile need a colour screen? Doh!! :rolleyes:

The player itself doesn't look bad, and it appears easy to navigate, but seeing as how the screen is colour, they're probably going to try and spruce things up with a new type of UI for mp3 players that shows it off a bit. The menu system, like the one on the iPod and on earlier mobile phones was so much simpler, but I'm going to guess that this player will try something fancy and make it more difficult to use.

Even if the iPod were to get a colour screen, they'd probably need an ingenious way to make their UI take advantage of this new capability while keeping it easy to use.

Flynnstone
Oct 13, 2004, 12:26 AM
Does your mobile phone have a colour screen? Does a mobile need a colour screen? Doh!! :rolleyes:

Mine does ... and I could care less. Its got a camera too. Its as useful as a screen door in a submarine. But the Bluetooth & iSync are worth it

tdhurst
Oct 13, 2004, 12:36 AM

I've got two cell phones, one has a color screen, one doesn't. The color screen relies on icons to denote categories (such as settings, sounds, etc.), the black and white uses text. The black and white is a helluva lot easier to navigate because I don't have to guess what the icons are. I see that color screens seem to rely heavier on spiffy icons just because they can, rendering the nifty color scheme rather useless to me.

jackieonasses
Oct 13, 2004, 12:58 AM
I've got two cell phones, one has a color screen, one doesn't. The color screen relies on icons to denote categories (such as settings, sounds, etc.), the black and white uses text. The black and white is a helluva lot easier to navigate because I don't have to guess what the icons are. I see that color screens seem to rely heavier on spiffy icons just because they can, rendering the nifty color scheme rather useless to me. um, that has nothing to do with color. It has to do with the crappy UI on the color phone. the color screen doesnt make you use icons...

Honestly, If apple can incorporate a nice color GUI that is just as easy...it will make it that much further away from competition. They have already nearly perfected the art of smallness,ease-of-use, and all they need to do now is battery and color (with video-out) of course

And whoever says the 2 inch screen is useless, is wrong. If you are watching videos, it is bad. But for viewing pictures? It is the sweet spot.

tdhurst
Oct 13, 2004, 01:06 AM
um, that has nothing to do with color. It has to do with the crappy UI on the color phone. the color screen doesnt make you use icons...

NO ****? The color screen doesn't require icons? I said it SEEMS to, because designers SEEM to want to get cute with icons when they have pretty colors to create with.
2" is a sweet spot for viewing pics? Uh....

junior
Oct 13, 2004, 01:17 AM
NO ****? The color screen doesn't require icons? I said it SEEMS to, because designers SEEM to want to get cute with icons when they have pretty colors to create with.
2" is a sweet spot for viewing pics? Uh....

But iTunes on my Mac with a color display is very simple to use. So what makes you think the same company will create a complicated UI on a more portable solution just because it starts using color? It's Apple, after all.

aswitcher
Oct 13, 2004, 01:20 AM
But iTunes on my Mac with a color display is very simple to use. So what makes you think the same company will create a complicated UI on a more portable solution just because it starts using color? It's Apple, after all.

Yeah Apple love colour...just look at all their iTunes / iPod advertising. That latest U2 clip is a good example of a clip that would work well on a small screen...

jared_kipe
Oct 13, 2004, 01:30 AM
I can just see the color ipod commercial, it will be like a normal one, but then it will zoom out with the commercial playing on the ipod screen. Bad ass!!

jackieonasses
Oct 13, 2004, 01:37 AM
I can just see the color ipod commercial, it will be like a normal one, but then it will zoom out with the commercial playing on the ipod screen. Bad ass!! Nice invisionment! i see it now!

they start off with a lady dancing -like normal then it zooms out from the ipod and shows a very bright background...okay....mine sucks...but that is sweet! give me a super bright actual color screen now!

tdhurst
Oct 13, 2004, 02:07 AM
I can just see the color ipod commercial, it will be like a normal one, but then it will zoom out with the commercial playing on the ipod screen. Bad ass!!

Hell yeah! that would be awesome! I look at my iPod screen all the time when I am running, walking, etc. Oh wait...I'm sorry, I just listen to it, not stare at it.

cluthz
Oct 13, 2004, 03:32 AM
The problems with color lcds is that they are unusable in bright sunlight.
I have trouble seeing numbers at the screen on my cellphone in bright day light,
but on my ipod its not a problem at all..

bartelby
Oct 13, 2004, 03:55 AM
Toshiba have released a 60GB MP3 player with a 2.2 inch colour screen

Toshiba Gigabeat F (http://www.i4u.com/article2181.html)

JLS
Oct 13, 2004, 05:05 AM
Toshiba have released a 60GB MP3 player with a 2.2 inch colour screen

Toshiba Gigabeat F (http://www.i4u.com/article2181.html)

And here is another one just out too:

Muzio JM-600 MP3 player:

"..2.2GB or 4GB hard drive, JPG viewing on its 1.5-inch 128x64 resolution 65k color LCD screen, USB 2.0 connectivity, FM radio, line-in recording, and support for Ogg Vorbis..."

http://www.jlsonline.web.surftown.com/sites/upload/mp3.JPG

geese
Oct 13, 2004, 06:08 AM
My sisters got a Samsung v200 mobile phone. The user-interface really isnt very good. Far too much emphasis on trying to make the screen lively and colourful. The graphics are a really stupid cartoon style, which for a 32 year old adult, really grates. But try and write SMSs on the thing and you'll be trying to find how to do basic punctuation with it and haw to write in title caps.

Anyways, the point (which i've seemed to lost) is that the colour screen can actually make the GUI worse. SO i reckon the Yepp wont be as nice to use as an iPod.

cr2sh
Oct 13, 2004, 07:15 AM
Nice invisionment! i see it now!

they start off with a lady dancing -like normal then it zooms out from the ipod and shows a very bright background...okay....mine sucks...but that is sweet! give me a super bright actual color screen now!

Actually, I bet they'll use that new U2 video... saw it last night, damn cool.

edesignuk
Oct 13, 2004, 07:33 AM

*head explodes*
The new cinemas are LG/Philips :confused:

wPod
Oct 13, 2004, 08:01 AM

black and white TV ---> color TV

green and black computer ---> color TV

black and white cell phone ---> color cell phone (what do you need color for to dial numbers anyway?!!?!)

black and white iPod ---> color iPod

its evolution. one day maybe we will move beyond color to um. . . interactive 3D

homerjward
Oct 13, 2004, 08:08 AM
Actually, I bet they'll use that new U2 video... saw it last night, damn cool.
i really like the song, but imho the silhouette thing doesn't work for actual music videos and stuff. i thought it was dumb that it showed u2's faces when everyone else was just a pure black form. i'm in support of color mp3 players but only when it doesn't detract from the actual player and that samsung yepp sounds like it hits a sweet spot between color screen and pure mp3 player without being bulky or clumsy. if samsung can do it well (it looks like it will be good) i'm sure apple can

point665
Oct 13, 2004, 02:16 PM

*head explodes*

Hasnt apple been using Philips LCDs for a while now? Ive never read them using samsung... Im pretty sure my iBook uses Philips too...

bdomz
Oct 13, 2004, 04:54 PM

I've always considered Samsung to make great electronics. Especially their LCD displays and TV sets, of course there'll always be a few bad products here or there. I'll be skipping this product though, I like the wheel on the Ipod too much.

JLS
Oct 18, 2004, 06:19 AM
And another one....

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/6674682824735558.JPG?0.478648517491051

"Taiwan-based Vosonic (yeah, we havenít heard of them either) announced their new portable multimedia devices which play MP3 and WMA audio files, display JPG pictures and play MPEG-1 video, have a 2-inch LCD, USB 2.0, and slots for all of the major flash memory card formats (even the less-used xD and the old Smartmedia formats) for offloading pictures in a snap. The MMV VP6300 (pictured at right, funny, it looks kind of familiarÖ) is a bit smaller and uses a 20GB, 1.8-inch hard drive, while the Super VP6210 uses a 2.5-inch drive (like a laptop) and comes in sizes ranging from 20GB to 80GB. Battery life is 3-6 hours, which is more than a bit weak, especially since the battery isnít user-removable."

iMeowbot
Oct 18, 2004, 06:54 AM
Hasnt apple been using Philips LCDs for a while now? Ive never read them using samsung... Im pretty sure my iBook uses Philips too...
Apple own a piece of Samsung, a few years back they invested USD100 million to speed up LCD development. Certainly quite a lot of Apple RAM is made by them too.

Edot
Oct 18, 2004, 07:59 AM
And another one....

"Taiwan-based Vosonic (yeah, we havenít heard of them either) announced their new portable multimedia devices which play MP3 and WMA audio files, display JPG pictures and play MPEG-1 video, have a 2-inch LCD, USB 2.0, and slots for all of the major flash memory card formats (even the less-used xD and the old Smartmedia formats) for offloading pictures in a snap. The MMV VP6300 (pictured at right, funny, it looks kind of familiarÖ) is a bit smaller and uses a 20GB, 1.8-inch hard drive, while the Super VP6210 uses a 2.5-inch drive (like a laptop) and comes in sizes ranging from 20GB to 80GB. Battery life is 3-6 hours, which is more than a bit weak, especially since the battery isnít user-removable."

If they release that in the US with the scroll wheel they are going to get sued by Apple. I am pretty sure it is patented. Notice you haven't seen it on any other device sold here.

~Shard~
Oct 18, 2004, 08:07 AM
Well, as Mr. Anderson said, this thing doesn't even come come close to the iPod as far as brand recognition goes - and to prove that fact, I had never even heard of this thing until I viewed this thread! Samsung makes pretty flaky gear from what I've heard and people I know have experienced, so I would definitely not be in a rush to pick this thing up. Plus, I'm thinking its user interface is nowhere near as good as the iPods.

Next... :rolleyes:

~Shard~
Oct 18, 2004, 08:12 AM
And another one....

Wow, someone wants to get sued. Apple patented the scroll wheel, these guys are obviously clueless. And "Vosonic"?!? Yah, that sounds like a well-established, reliable company which I would want to purchase expensive gear through. :rolleyes:

Once again, next... If nothing else, thanks JLS for proving that the iPod has nothing to worry about from the likes of these guys. ;)

Chappers
Oct 18, 2004, 09:27 AM

black and white cell phone ---> color cell phone (what do you need color for to dial numbers anyway?!!?!)

its evolution. one day maybe we will move beyond color to um. . . interactive 3D

Exactly - evolution
Soon we will be looking back and saying - do you remember the days when the iPod had a black and white screen.
It will probably be a measure of how old you are. A bit like for us who can remember the days before Macintosh, the internet, digital watches, pocket calculators and colour TV. Oh God shoot me I'm for the knackers yard.

FelixDerKater
Oct 18, 2004, 10:00 AM
None of the specs matter if the battery life is terrible.

jxyama
Oct 18, 2004, 10:28 AM

the difference is, for music playback, having color adds absolutely nothing in function. such is not the case for TV and computer. the only marginal case is for the cell phone - but even there, coupling with camera, color has some use.

eventually, iPod will go the way of color LCD, i imagine. but it's not as "important" nor is it naturally part of the "evolution" of iPod.

many idiot marketing types have extended music players' success and assumed (portable) video player would be successful. it has never been the case. from watchman to compact DVD players, they just haven't been the success the portable music players have because there's inherent difference between listening to music and watching a video.

apple should not add a color screen to iPod for the sake of adding color. it has to add function. i'm not saying they should never add one, but they certainly shouldn't add it just because someone else did. 3-6 hours battery life? that ain't gonna go anywhere... (btw, even if they are Taiwanese, they are going to get sued - by Apple Asia - it's a blatant violation of apple's design patent and they won't be able to talk their way out of this one.)