PDA

View Full Version : SGP Leather Case Vintage Edition - Comments

malbright
Jun 3, 2010, 12:06 PM
Well, I was finally able to pick up this long-awaited case, and it is quite nice:

(http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/1366)

The leather looks beautiful and feels great. The case is very sturdy—hard, actually—and holds the iPad nicely; the fit is perfect. It wouldn't provide much shock absorbing protection if you were to drop the iPad, but it does protect the device from scratches and daily abuse.

Speaking of fit, the first time you put the iPad in it's quite snug, which is a good thing. I would imagine that over time it would be fairly easy to remove the iPad for docking as the corners loosen up ever so slightly.

It appears to me that this is a case that will last a long time.

The inside color of the soft lining looks terrific with the brown leather, very rich. There is some embossed writing on the inside of the case which you can see in the photo on their site. Personally, I would prefer no writing, but the good news is that it's pretty subtle so it's not distracting.

When you open the case, say, for reading, the cover folds back with no problem, though I would imagine that in time the leather hinge would develop some wrinkling and aging as leather is prone to do.

When the case is closed it feels firm and solid, and looks pretty high end and classy when you're carrying it around.

It fits nicely into the Waterfield Exo Sleeve—together making an impressive presentation.

I like it.

Sadly, bought it for the other half and she still prefers the Apple Case, so I plan on listing it on eBay.

Hope this helps!

bad angel
Jun 3, 2010, 12:18 PM
That's a nice-looking case. I'd get this myself if they offered it in a darker brown or black color and had some way to prop it up for typing (like the Apple case does).

3goldens
Jun 3, 2010, 02:43 PM
i agree, I like it too, but the writing is offense to me, why would they assume people would want this stupid proverb or whatever the hell it is!

ChiliBlue
Jun 3, 2010, 02:56 PM
I had this one on pre-order but canceled. Thanks for the review, I might still get it as a back up.

JonMPLS
Jun 3, 2010, 03:55 PM
Never noticed the writing before now . . . What does it say on the cover anyway? Some poem or something?

tikidoc
Jun 6, 2010, 07:13 AM
That's a nice-looking case. I'd get this myself if they offered it in a darker brown or black color and had some way to prop it up for typing (like the Apple case does).

I am not a fan of lighter leather either but I ordered one because it appears to be made of nubuck leather, which will darken quite a bit as it gets used. The oils from your hands will darken it.

JonMPLS
Jun 6, 2010, 09:33 AM
Why is it I always end up with a case collection rather than just a case:rolleyes:

I really like the simplicity, looks, and low profile of this case. I also really like cases where the ipad clips in rather than has the bezel covered.

Might add this one too. thanks for the review.

rachelmar
Jun 6, 2010, 10:13 AM
i bought a case called the iPad Security Case last month and really like the function. I wanted to keep friends from using my iPad all the time. The combination lock does the trick. I also like the black leather. I ended up giving away the Apple case I originally purchased to a friend.

3goldens
Jun 6, 2010, 10:34 AM
i bought a case called the iPad Security Case last month and really like the function. I wanted to keep friends from using my iPad all the time. The combination lock does the trick. I also like the black leather. I ended up giving away the Apple case I originally purchased to a friend.

never heard of this case, guess your friends don't have any manners!:)

tikidoc
Jun 9, 2010, 05:43 PM
Just got my SGP Vintage today and I really like it. Good build quality, fits well, feels very sturdy. As I previously mentioned, I am not a huge fan of the light color but I anticipate it will darken. I think the leather is nubuck. Overall, I am pleased an anticipate this will be my primary case.

cmascatello
Jun 9, 2010, 06:53 PM
Do you have a WiFi or a WiFi+3G? My case came today and the fit at the corners with the WiFi+3G is VERY tight. Not sure if the dimensions are (as was reported pre-release) different between the two, but it seems like 1-2MM in height would have made the fit better. How did your fit work out?

malbright
Jun 9, 2010, 07:09 PM
I have a 3G, and the fit on mine was VERY VERY tight. It was a struggle to fit the iPad in. I tried it on a WiFi model, same thing. Perhaps not quite as bad, but just about.

On a separate note, what about the writing on the inside? I didn't really like it, but what really bothered me was that SGP put there name, etc. amongst the "poetic" writing and scrollwork and it just seemed to cheapen the experience. Fortunately the writing isn't obtrusive, but still, I really don't want to stare at SGP's name every time I open my iPad.

Otherwise, quite a nice case.

Gahau
Jun 9, 2010, 11:17 PM
I got mine in today too!
I got the 3g model... Pretty tight fit
I am worried about bending the cover back and forth I wounder how durable the "hinge" is... Only time will tell

malbright
Jun 10, 2010, 12:14 AM
I found the hinge worrisome as well. I guess time will tell how it holds up, and that will be one of the tests of the true quality of this case. Also, the cover is very stiff, so when you fold it back, say, to read, it's not all that comfortable.

Looks nice when closed.

As mentioned, the writing and logo on the inside bugs me—it's not enough that the company put their name on the back ... they also had to include it on the inside flap. Pity; it looked so much nicer just plain. Finally, the overall hardness of the case makes it a bit uncomfortable. That has been my experience so far.

I thought this was going to be my favorite case, but these negatives for me pretty much outweighed the positive.

VetPsychWars
Jun 10, 2010, 07:45 AM
For those of you currently using this case, does the cover fold back behind all of the way easily enough? That's how I mostly use my Apple case.

Thanks.

Tom

cmascatello
Jun 10, 2010, 08:38 AM
The cover folds back flat with the back of the case. The issue you may have when trying to hold it in your right hand for reading is that the "latch" area on the edge of the cover may be in your way. It is not a huge issue, but I did have to get used to a new hand placement while reading in bed. That said, the "latch" does a great job of keeping the cover shut w/o having to resort to magnets.

This case looks great closed and does, admittedly, have a few flaws when open. My biggest gripe is that the hinge area also acts as a pivot point when you fold the cover behind the case. This makes it hard to keep everything lined up for one-hand use.

TXCraig
Jun 10, 2010, 04:10 PM
Well, I was finally able to pick up this long-awaited case

It says the case is available for pre-order and it shipps on 6/24... how did you get one early?

Gahau
Jun 10, 2010, 04:49 PM
It says the case is available for pre-order and it shipps on 6/24... how did you get one early?

This is like the 3rd wave of pre orders
I order min on may 20th and just got it...
Took a month, but I think it was worth it =)

Swampthing
Jun 10, 2010, 06:35 PM
I've been looking at this case for awhile. Absolutely love the old vintage look like the Old West or something.

But I've been looking for a closeup of the "verse" inside and wonder if someone has a picture they can post with readable text.

doogle
Jun 18, 2010, 08:01 PM
Mine has shipped! I like the look very much...it was a toss up between this vintage and the red leather version (there is a black one too for the person who preferred black).
A couple of questions for the current owners:
Can you imagine or have you used it folded and on a stand - as in to view from with a bluetooth keyboard?
Can you easily plug it in for syncing etc. without taking it out of the sleeve?

As you can see I am trying to work out if you can leave the sleeve at all times basically.

thanks

cmascatello
Jun 19, 2010, 01:07 AM
Using an Apple 30-pin sync cable is not a problem with the case.

Stands are a mixed bag, but no different than with any other case. The SGP is not overly thick and does work OK with even something as cheap as an Office Depot card holder.

doogle
Jun 19, 2010, 01:20 AM
Using an Apple 30-pin sync cable is not a problem with the case.

Stands are a mixed bag, but no different than with any other case. The SGP is not overly thick and does work OK with even something as cheap as an Office Depot card holder.

thanks...I was not sure about this case or the Dodo case...something worried me about the bamboo and it slipping out, also it seems that the 'rest' fold in the spine does not flatten out. I need something that will sit in a stand if I am going to try and use the ipad for work (yep I am going to try and switch to my ipad for my day job).

JonMPLS
Jun 19, 2010, 07:44 AM
I've been looking at this case for awhile. Absolutely love the old vintage look like the Old West or something.

But I've been looking for a closeup of the "verse" inside and wonder if someone has a picture they can post with readable text.

A photo would be great, but here I had this reply in the iPad forum (I posted in the wrong forum by mistake)
SGP TEXT (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=931726&highlight=sgp+text)

gapdev
Jun 29, 2010, 06:07 PM
I've had my case for 2 weeks now and while I do love the case, it does have its problems.

The bottom 2 corners have both developed a crack which are getting larger and I would imagine will eventually cause the corners to become so loose that the iPad will fall out.

On the back, by the Audio Port, there is a crack that goes all the way through, held in place by only a thin piece of leather.

I was just going to order another because I like the case so much, but thought I would alert SGP to the problem and see what they have to say. They do offer a lifetime warranty.

They have a tendency to not respond to inquiries so we'll see what develops.

Kenny

gapdev
Jun 29, 2010, 07:08 PM
Well, SGP responded and I have to send the case back to them and they will in turn send it to the manufacturer (which I thought was them). The manufacturer will then decide if the case is defective or not.

So, what, the manufacturer is in Korea, how long is all this going to take? And what if they decide that there is no manufacturing defect? Do they send the case back to me?

Sounds like a lot of trouble.

malbright
Jun 29, 2010, 11:46 PM
Yikes. This sounds like a process that will take weeks. And if the folks in Korea deny your claim, you're back to square one.

SGP is a one man operation based in downtown LA. I would call repeatedly until you speak with the owner. Explain the situation to him and insist on a replacement. I would be very firm on this.

Personally, I gave up on this case for a number of reasons ... not the least of which was the fact that in the end, while the design was theoretically nice, in real-life it was flawed and I thought the build was cheap.

Call him. Be firm.

Good luck!

Gahau
Jun 30, 2010, 08:30 AM
Yikes. This sounds like a process that will take weeks. And if the folks in Korea deny your claim, you're back to square one.

SGP is a one man operation based in downtown LA. I would call repeatedly until you speak with the owner. Explain the situation to him and insist on a replacement. I would be very firm on this.

Personally, I gave up on this case for a number of reasons ... not the least of which was the fact that in the end, while the design was theoretically nice, in real-life it was flawed and I thought the build was cheap.

Call him. Be firm.

Good luck!

Man.. I had some problem too... that owner...
my case was damaged upon arrival
ohhh man... took forever for them to respond... and they only responded because I placed a claim on paypal... received a couple email in a broken semi english... same as the previous OP send it back and wait...
Too much trouble, never will get my biz again will NEVER recommend
I was expecting more for a $90 case

malbright
Jun 30, 2010, 12:09 PM
Right. If you have problems, sadly, you need to politely take the firmest action possible ... otherwise you'll be in for a lot of hassle. If you're in LA, I would actually go to their office. Otherwise, you need to be persistent and if necessary let them know that you will escalate this problem in a way that would be very damaging to their reputation.

Gahau
Jun 30, 2010, 11:15 PM
Right. If you have problems, sadly, you need to politely take the firmest action possible ... otherwise you'll be in for a lot of hassle. If you're in LA, I would actually go to their office. Otherwise, you need to be persistent and if necessary let them know that you will escalate this problem in a way that would be very damaging to their reputation.

I think he kinda sorta resolved the issue...
Its just that I dont like the outcome... Like I said he offered me to send the case back so they can have a look...
Well I mean this is the only case I got, I dont wanna purchase a another case or a temp case for the trouble.
I dont see what else I can ask for? I am just not happy for the level of consideration and level of customer care
Should I place a claim on paypal?

malbright
Jul 1, 2010, 12:22 AM
He resolved it to his satisfaction, not yours. Yes, file a claim. Do what you must. The product is inferior, and all of the burden and inconvenience is on you.

You deserve better treatment than this, believe me.

I'm not saying be rude; be professional and courteous. But draw the line.

Swampthing
Jul 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
YOUR product might have been inferior; but you shouldn't generalize.

I've had the iPad Vintage Leather case for a couple weeks now and absolutely love it with no problems. Also have been using their iPhone 4 Vintage Leather Pouch for a few days and have zero complaints. Both are very high grade leather and superior quality. Anything handmade is going to have occasional flaws, and I don't think it's reasonable to claim the entire product line is bad just because your single product has some.

One MAN operation? Funny, the person who I've dealt with on a few occasions is a WOMAN named Sylvia.

malbright
Jul 11, 2010, 05:17 AM
I'm really glad your case worked out for you! That's the important thing, and everybody has their own tastes.

Three quick comments, though.

"One man operation" is a figure of speech. It's a guy and his assistant/secretary/office manager, and that would be Sylvia. Go to his office in downtown LA and see for yourself.

I suppose they are handmade, by hands that are in a Korean factory.

Finally, you like the case, I thought it had flaws. That's what makes life interesting. Each to his own!

Thanks.

Swampthing
Jul 11, 2010, 02:43 PM
I'm really glad your case worked out for you! That's the important thing, and everybody has their own tastes.

Three quick comments, though.

"One man operation" is a figure of speech. It's a guy and his assistant/secretary/office manager, and that would be Sylvia. Go to his office in downtown LA and see for yourself.

I suppose they are handmade, by hands that are in a Korean factory.

Finally, you like the case, I thought it had flaws. That's what makes life interesting. Each to his own!

Thanks.

Just FYI, but "one man operation" is not a figure of speech; it is a descriptive term. It doesn't apply here since a "one man operation" does not have a secretary, office manager, production factory in Korea, etc. Have you ever seen a "one man band" from the old vaudeville days? You don't see six other people playing instruments, it's just a single guy.

It might be a "small" company, but it definitely isn't a "one man" company. Just because you see a single person sitting in their Wilshire Boulevard office doesn't mean he doesn't represent 30-40, or even a hundred, people located somewhere else. That's a common practice for an international business.

Honestly, based upon the amount of sales, I've seen on these boards alone there is no way a single man could handle all that; conduct sales on eBay; plus handle an overseas manufacturing operation. United SGP Corporation AKA Stylish People's Good Partner is probably much larger than you actually think they are.

malbright
Jul 12, 2010, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I should have been more precise in my description, though "two man band" just doesn't have the same ring!

Two people, then, are handling sales in this country and placing orders with the factory back in Korea.

I'm glad we cleared that up. Appreciate the correction.

jmpage2
Jul 12, 2010, 02:07 PM
Does anyone with this case do a lot of ebook reading with theirs? From the photos it is difficult to tell how comfortable it would be to read on this with the cover folder over back behind it as it appears that the corners are molded on the lid and might get uncomfortable.

I'm pretty happy with the Apple case from a functionality standpoint but I find that the sharp edges start to cut into my hands after reading on it for thirty minutes and am now looking for a low profile high quality leather case to replace the Apple one.

cmascatello
Jul 12, 2010, 02:45 PM
I do a good bit of eBook reading with this case. The only issue I have is with the cover "tab" that is in the center edge of the front cover. This tab makes your hand position a little uncomfortable if you are used to grasping a bare iPad or a Kindle in the middle. Otherwise, the case is the best I have tried so far.

jmpage2
Jul 12, 2010, 03:08 PM
I do a good bit of eBook reading with this case. The only issue I have is with the cover "tab" that is in the center edge of the front cover. This tab makes your hand position a little uncomfortable if you are used to grasping a bare iPad or a Kindle in the middle. Otherwise, the case is the best I have tried so far.

Thanks, I might take the plunge although the high price and the annoying poem etched into it have me reconsidering.

jmpage2
Jul 20, 2010, 12:01 PM
I went ahead and ordered one of these and shot an unboxing video. I ordered it off of Amazon and it was fulfilled by a company called '24hour'.

This case, in a word, is lovely. I don't see any issues with the case corners cracking and don't think that it will be an issue unless you are frequently popping it out of the case and putting it back in. Fit is not nearly as tight as some complained of yet the iPad appears to be very secure.

Because the case is leather it is entirely possible that over time the case is going to wear out, no differently than a wallet, purse, or a pair of shoes or gloves will wear out. Hardly a reason to dis this case though. It's EXTREMELY nice and well made and should provide at minimum a couple of years of very nice protection for your iPad and looks a helluva lot classier than the other leather cases I've played with.

Sorry for the quality and framing of the video. I just taped my iPhone 4 to a tripod and shot with that, it's the best I could do on short notice but did want to share the experience. It's in HD but the lighting was poor.

For your viewing enjoyment;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAbjT0vZ2ck

cal6n
Jul 21, 2010, 02:13 PM
I've just received my SGP Vintage, here in the UK, and I'm very pleased with it. As others have noted, it fits all four corners very snugly with no sign of any cracking. The clasp holds the cover closed yet is easy to open and the cover folds back out of the way easily.

I ordered it on 2nd July and so the whole process has taken 14 working days to get the case to the UK. HM Customs and The Royal Mail conspired to shaft me with nearly £17 in VAT and "handling charges" on goods valued at £48.50 ($73.95). They didn't even have the decency to buy me flowers! Had the goods been valued at less than £40 ($60 ish), I'd've been spared this effrontery. Potential buyers, take note.

Even with this tarnishing the experience and increasing my outlay, I'm well pleased.

mrgossett
Jul 24, 2010, 06:11 PM
Just got my SGP Vintage iPad case today. This is the fourth case I've bought. The others were the Apple case, Macally Bookstand, and the Yoobao leather case. I've been using the Yoobao, and have been pretty happy with it, but the iPad doesn't fit it snugly, and it adds weight and thickness. So I decided to try the SGP Vintage. I must say the SGP case is the nicest case I've had. The leather is beautiful looking and feeling, the construction is perfect, and it's really slim. The iPad fits snugly and looks absolutely great. I really like having nothing covering the iPad bezel. It doesn't have a typing stand mode, but I never used that anyway with the other cases. I'm very pleased with the SGP case.

jmpage2
Jul 29, 2010, 04:57 PM
Just got my SGP Vintage iPad case today. This is the fourth case I've bought. The others were the Apple case, Macally Bookstand, and the Yoobao leather case. I've been using the Yoobao, and have been pretty happy with it, but the iPad doesn't fit it snugly, and it adds weight and thickness. So I decided to try the SGP Vintage. I must say the SGP case is the nicest case I've had. The leather is beautiful looking and feeling, the construction is perfect, and it's really slim. The iPad fits snugly and looks absolutely great. I really like having nothing covering the iPad bezel. It doesn't have a typing stand mode, but I never used that anyway with the other cases. I'm very pleased with the SGP case.

I agree, it's a really nice case that doesn't get nearly enough lovin' at the Mac Rumor Forums! :D

cyclingone
Jul 29, 2010, 08:08 PM
I've had the SGP iPad Vintage case for well over a month and absolutely love it. Fit and finish is great and the writing on the inside of the case is really a 'non-issue' for me.

I also have the matching Vintage iPhone 4 case and it's the best case I've ever had for my phone...and I've had many since the original iPhone came out. I actually find myself smiling when I pick it up the phone. Don't hesitate to buy either (or both) of these cases.

No, I have no relation with SGP other than being a satisfied customer. Oh, and if it is a one man operation it seems to be running like clock work. Both cases only took two days to reach me after ordering. Guess it helps that I live in SOCAL.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper with SGP. :)

Knuffie
Aug 27, 2010, 05:59 AM
guys,

I absolutely love the vintage case.. but do you recommend buying protectors as well (like Zagg Invisble Shield or Bodyguardz or one of SGP's..)

And where did you all order!? Cause I am in Europe, not the UK though, so interested in good experiences

Thanks!

Darth Maniac
Aug 27, 2010, 04:56 PM
Nice looking case - pity about no typing stand mode though :(

Nhwhazup
Sep 12, 2010, 04:37 PM
Is the vintage leather suede, nubuck or just a soft leather? I ordered mine after the original Apple and then the Yoobao. I really like the original Apple case and didn't even mind the constant cleaning until more recently it has begun to show some wear and doesn't really look clean even after it's been just cleaned. The Yoobao seemed a good alternative but the leather was cheap and it became puffed up in the middle on both the front and back covers within 3 days of using it. I would have preferred a case with more of an angle for typing but couldn't find any fine quality leather ones. So I've ordered the SGP Vintage leather. Hopefully I will like this case as much as the original Apple. Man, I just wish someone would make the same exact design in a fine leather.

jmpage2
Sep 12, 2010, 05:50 PM
It is a suede type of leather. However, if you look at the SGP website you will see that it is available in other leather styles too. Only the 'vintage' version appears to be suede.

Bobajobbob
Sep 17, 2010, 09:36 AM
I've got one of these and can't fault the construction. Very nicely made of great looking leather, though I am hoping the leather darkens with age. It will look much better with some character and age. It's slim and exposes the bezel unlike the apple case that caught dust and crud like a magnet and really forms a hard shell with the iPad fitted.

It could perhaps be improved if there was a way to secure the front plate when folded behind or to clip it for typing but otherwise I would thoroughly recommend it.

Nhwhazup
Sep 19, 2010, 12:17 PM
This was my 4th different case in my search and it was defective. There were several bumps on the front cover. It appeared that dirt or something was caught under the leather before it was applied to the case. For me, I was also surprised about how light the color was. I was expecting more of a tan color as depicted in the photos. Bummer! I thought about trying it in the red or pink leather but ended up ordering the Yoobao slim and the Cyber Acoustics case. I haven't received the Yoobao slim yet but the CA case is a "keeper". I like the black one so much that I ordered a new one in red. It's definitely not as slim as the SGP but has everything I'm looking for and more. Others seem to also love their Yoobao slim cases so I hope I like that one as well. If I like it I'll keep it to swap out for a change from the CA cases. I'm all done searching, really.

chiefroastbeef
Sep 23, 2010, 10:58 AM
I am about to pick up the vintage here in hong kong, I was surprised to find a store here that had them in stock. As for the suede, like all leather, will darken with age from your skin oil etc. If you want to darken it asap, get some waterproof suede treatment made for shoes and spray it on. Whenever i spray it onto my shoes, my shoes turn darker in color. My spray is made by clarks, you can pick up a similar can at most shoes store. If it was true full grain leather, simply applying some beeswax would darken it heavily, but beeswax cannot be used on suede. I will definitely be spraying some Suede waterproof treatment on my coming vintage case for looks. And waterproofness. :D

sparkomatic
Sep 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
I picked up one of these through eBay and just got it. Every place is sold out of these things!

I love the case. It's great! Definitely happy with it so far. I am wondering how the hinge is going to hold up over time from the cover being bent back but, we'll see.

chiefroastbeef
Sep 24, 2010, 11:38 PM
I picked up one of these through eBay and just got it. Every place is sold out of these things!

I love the case. It's great! Definitely happy with it so far. I am wondering how the hinge is going to hold up over time from the cover being bent back but, we'll see.

Glad you like it! I'm hoping to pick one up soon, as soon as I can fully make up my mind!

Does it stand pretty well in landscape mode on all surfaces? With it being suede I would imagine so.

sparkomatic
Sep 25, 2010, 08:50 AM
I'm assuming you're asking how it holds up when you try to prop the iPad upright? It works well. The hinge doesn't extend the full length of the back so it's not super stable but it works.

Here are some pics of the hinge and the cover folded back.

Sweetbike40
Feb 2, 2011, 07:39 PM
I love this case! Only one thing that bothers me...... I have the one with the metal S logo on the front. I want to peel it off. Doesn't seem to want to peel off. I haven't tried to hard because I'm afraid to ruin the case. Has anyone tried to take it off?
I got it off eBay for a great price otherwise I would have bought the version without it.

Just realized this is the iPad version thread. I have the iPhone case!!! Oopsie

utl768
Oct 14, 2011, 12:55 PM
anyway to get this case cheap now that the ipad 1 is old

i have an apple case for mine and its a dust magnet and my portenzo case adds too much bulk and its cheaply made