PDA

View Full Version : Skype headset for Macbook

kikedeolivos
Jun 4, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hi,

I have an October 2008 white Macbook, which has audio and headphones 3.5 mm females. I would like to know if buying a cheapo headset (with mic) with the 2 x 3.5 miniplugs would work for Skype phone calls or I would rather get a USB headset?

Thanks

miicah
Jun 5, 2010, 01:25 AM
If you have the separate in/out audio jacks that will work fine, as will the usb headset.

kikedeolivos
Jun 5, 2010, 07:16 AM
If you have the separate in/out audio jacks that will work fine, as will the usb headset.

Yes I do.

So., lets say I get a regular analog headset, Mac OSX - via System Prefs/Audio-will recognize that an "external" mic has been plugged in?

What about a Plantronics Bluetooth (Mono) headset?

Thanks

miicah
Jun 5, 2010, 10:38 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't.

kikedeolivos
Jun 5, 2010, 10:46 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't.

Mic clarity and audio (for a phone conversation) would be the same as in with a regular headset or should I be looking for certain features, Skype specific?

Thanks again.

Wehrwolf
Jun 5, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hi,

I have an October 2008 white Macbook, which has audio and headphones 3.5 mm females. I would like to know if buying a cheapo headset (with mic) with the 2 x 3.5 miniplugs would work for Skype phone calls or I would rather get a USB headset?

Thanks

You need a USB headset. The audio input on Apple notebooks is a line level input, not a microphone input. The difference is that the former requires a stronger signal than a microphone input; you won't get any input if you try to use the built in microphone on one of those cheap headsets.

Why not just use a pair of headphones? You can set the audio output through the headphones and use the notebook's built in microphone.

kikedeolivos
Jun 5, 2010, 07:47 PM
You need a USB headset. The audio input on Apple notebooks is a line level input, not a microphone input. The difference is that the former requires a stronger signal than a microphone input; you won't get any input if you try to use the built in microphone on one of those cheap headsets.

Why not just use a pair of headphones? You can set the audio output through the headphones and use the notebook's built in microphone.

You were right: it didn't work with a regular Senheiser headset.

I just can't do what you are suggesting:I have an XP partition (Cad soft and other Windows only soft) and have to review on my big screen drawings with some colleagues. I wish I could get something that would work fine, either in Mac OSX and XP.

spectre51
Jun 5, 2010, 07:53 PM
USB headset with mic?

kikedeolivos
Jun 5, 2010, 10:43 PM
USB headset with mic?

That's the route to go, I guess.

Thanks

AshMan
Jun 5, 2010, 11:38 PM
Can't you use a Bluetooth headset like one for cell phones? I used to use mine on Bluetooth on my pc laptop years ago. Haven't tried it with mac yet.