PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 does not support classic?

spencecb
Oct 13, 2004, 11:03 PM
I got my new iMac G5 yesterday, and went to try and use a program that requires Classic, and Classic won't start up, because it says there is no version of OS 9 on my computer...is this normal for new Macs? I just thought that they no longer booted into OS 9, but that Classic would still work. Why else would they have a tab for it in system preferences? Any help on this would be great.

Mr. Anderson
Oct 13, 2004, 11:24 PM
the specs at Apple are as follows:

System software:
Mac OS X version 10.3 “Panther,” includes Classic environment, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iSync, iCal

So the environment is there, you might want to try a different Classic App and if it doesn't work, then you might want to talk to Apple.

Good luck,

D

TLRedhawke
Oct 13, 2004, 11:44 PM
I know I had to install a Classic environment myself. The OS supports it, but it wasn't there inherently.

PlaceofDis
Oct 13, 2004, 11:51 PM
if you need to or want to install it, just use the software restore disk that came with your iMac, just pop it in and it will guide you through the steps of installing the classic environment

dsatterfield
Oct 14, 2004, 12:20 AM
Have you checked to see if the Classic environment was installed? If you've restored the system it isn't by default. It may not have been when the system was initially imaged. There should be a second set of disks for software restore that you use after installing OS X 10.3 Panther.

thanks

David
:)

dsatterfield
Oct 14, 2004, 12:26 AM
Also

Are you sure the app you're attempting to use will run on a G5 and run under the Classic environment? if it will, you might want to check the Extension requirements for running it under classic and the memory & virtual memory requirements.

You might also need to check the user permissions. If you're the only user this shouldn't be an issue but if not then you may need an administrator to adjust them.

thanks again

David

:)

dayos_x
Oct 29, 2004, 01:31 AM
iMac G5s come with 3 discs. You want the 3rd disc labeled Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test. First installer disc will not prompt you for the 3rd disc, or ask if you want Classic support on your OS X.

Elan0204
Oct 29, 2004, 11:01 AM
iMac G5s come with 3 discs. You want the 3rd disc labeled Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test. First installer disc will not prompt you for the 3rd disc, or ask if you want Classic support on your OS X.

Yep, that is right. Classic is not installed by Apple on the iMac G5. If you want it, you must add it yourself using the Additional Software/Apple Harware Test CD. Classic is not part of the Software Restore discs, either.