Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
A disappointment to those waiting for Mac Pro, Mac Air, ACD updates .... wonder if the sjobs email is catching hell as a result, lol.

No surprise really, most likely there will be something yet this month.

"Patience, it there an App for that?" :D

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Safari 5 was just released, if it's any consolation.
Gonna fire up the ol' Mac Pro and see how it has improved. :)

I have a feeling that Steve has something up his sleeve for us Mac fans. I'm sure Apple's gonna have a killer Mac OS 11 in a couple (or few) years.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Tomorrow morning is tuesday, there could be a silent upgrade then. Switching out all the 9400m for 320m would make much sense, if anything (so an iMac/MBA/Mac Mini update).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Don't think there's ever been a silent update on a Tuesday during WWDC?

Nah. There has once been an update for MacBook Pros but that was in press release few days before WWDC. AFAIK, there has never been an update soon after WWDC. Closest is MacBook update in July 2005 but usually Apple updates around September.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
I think Jobs need to go......

It feels like he is bored with macs and his interests lie with the itoys that he has so lovingly devoted his time and efforts to over the past few years!!!

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

It feels like he is bored with macs and his interests lie with the itoys that he has so lovingly devoted his time and efforts to over the past few years!!!

It does make one wonder what this year would have been like if SJ hadn't come back last year.

What a difference a year makes. Last year's WWDC was full of new MBPs, an updated MacBook Air and all kinds of Snow Leopard coverage. This year not one mention of Mac.

iPad was surely in development while he was gone. But one has to wonder if it would garner its current level of sole focus if SJ was still away. Tim Cook did a great job; now better in hindsight one year later.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Well...

"If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth — and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago." - Steve Jobs (1996 i think)

There we have it. The iPad is the next big thing. The Mac has limited years left.

Hilmi Hamidi

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2009
Usually Mac computers will be updated without any big conference, it's been like that since 3, 4 years ago.
It's amazing how impatient some people are, the last Macs aren't even a year old yet.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Usually Mac computers will be updated without any big conference, it's been like that since 3, 4 years ago.
It's amazing how impatient some people are, the last Macs aren't even a year old yet.

Hmmm...i think you need to check your facts.... maore than one of the 'last macs' are well over a year old!!

WWDC is a developers conference... but this year's keynote suggest its more of an iToy developers conference then a mac developers conference.

OWuld be interested to know how many developers showing new products/software/etc are showing for mac and how many are showing for iToy.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
They're just "computers" now. An old and tired paradigm that is morphing into "the next big thing." Macs are still great things, but they're changing. There's no point in showcasing "desktop computers" and "notebooks."

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
OWuld be interested to know how many developers showing new products/software/etc are showing for mac and how many are showing for iToy.

I'm pretty sure most of them develop software for App Store only. Larger market and only one place to get it from, App Store. If you make an app for OS X, it has to be free, otherwise nobody buys it unless it's revolutionary but that would need a lot work. There isn't App Store alike store for OS X apps thus it's harder to get attention.

Steve only cares about iToys and iOSs nowadays. Macs only get silent updates now that MacWorld is non-Steve

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
I'm pretty sure most of them develop software for App Store only. Larger market and only one place to get it from, App Store. If you make an app for OS X, it has to be free, otherwise nobody buys it unless it's revolutionary but that would need a lot work. There isn't App Store alike store for OS X apps thus it's harder to get attention.

Steve only cares about iToys and iOSs nowadays. Macs only get silent updates now that MacWorld is non-Steve

You know it's funny but... you can take that entire sentence about OS X, replace it with Windows 7 and things are exactly the same.

Look I know I'm wasting my time here but what the hell: people need to understand that the desktop OS market has now reached maturity. Not just for Apple but Windows as well. There's simply not much else to add in that end users will either need or want. These products are stable, fully-featured and on modern hardware fast enough for virtually every requirement with interfaces that are well established and understood by most users.

It's the same on the hardware side. Yes, the new core i5 and i7 chips are very nice but for the vast majority of people they will never even notice the speed difference in daily use. You can take a three year old Macbook Pro, stick Leopard or Snow Leopard on there and give it to any average user and you wouldn't get one complaint about performance. The need to upgrade we saw in the 90's and 00's is largely redundant now for most users.

And yes, it's the same on the application side. It's very very difficult for any company to make headway in these established markets. The big names are well known and the barrier to entry is high, not to mention people not being willing to pay out for applications for the most part.

What I'm trying to say is that no, OS X isn't being abandoned. It's a $3 BILLION a quarter business for gods sake, why would Apple walk away from that? But you can expect the pace of desktop development to slow down simply because... well... it's pretty much the finished product these days. There's no need to rollout a new version every 18 months unless there's something specific you're doing with that release and right now it's hard to see what that something would be for either Apple or Microsoft.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK

What about the bigger developers... Adobe, etc.. they have had a presence at WWDC in the past showing their efforts for the macintosh platform.

If its only App Store developers now then they should rename it the iDC....!

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I reckon we might see an event in the next month or two to announce various Mac related releases like the Mini / Air / Pro and 27" Cinemea Display. If they wait until they are all ready it will fill a special event nicely.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A disappointment to those waiting for Mac Pro, Mac Air, ACD updates ....

Apple's focus has largely been on them mobile market, much to the detriment of the computer division, both the software and hardware.

Just look at the keynote. They talked about iMovie for the iPhone but we've yet to see any iLife

tooz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
I think the time has come to split WWDC into mac development and iOS development

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
You know it's funny but... you can take that entire sentence about OS X, replace it with Windows 7 and things are exactly the same.

Look I know I'm wasting my time here but what the hell: people need to understand that the desktop OS market has now reached maturity. Not just for Apple but Windows as well. There's simply not much else to add in that end users will either need or want. These products are stable, fully-featured and on modern hardware fast enough for virtually every requirement with interfaces that are well established and understood by most users.

It's the same on the hardware side. Yes, the new core i5 and i7 chips are very nice but for the vast majority of people they will never even notice the speed difference in daily use. You can take a three year old Macbook Pro, stick Leopard or Snow Leopard on there and give it to any average user and you wouldn't get one complaint about performance. The need to upgrade we saw in the 90's and 00's is largely redundant now for most users.

And yes, it's the same on the application side. It's very very difficult for any company to make headway in these established markets. The big names are well known and the barrier to entry is high, not to mention people not being willing to pay out for applications for the most part.

What I'm trying to say is that no, OS X isn't being abandoned. It's a $3 BILLION a quarter business for gods sake, why would Apple walk away from that? But you can expect the pace of desktop development to slow down simply because... well... it's pretty much the finished product these days. There's no need to rollout a new version every 18 months unless there's something specific you're doing with that release and right now it's hard to see what that something would be for either Apple or Microsoft.

This makes a lot of sense. It's been said before and rings more true each time I see it.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
I reckon we might see an event in the next month or two to announce various Mac related releases like the Mini / Air / Pro and 27" Cinemea Display. If they wait until they are all ready it will fill a special event nicely.

Most of the products you have listed are mainly bought by users who don't guve a monkeys about a special event to announce an update.... we just want the update itself!

I could not care less if apple were to announce new hardware in the middle of the World Cup final or in the janitors closet in Apple HQ!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What about the bigger developers... Adobe, etc.. they have had a presence at WWDC in the past showing their efforts for the macintosh platform.

If its only App Store developers now then they should rename it the iDC....!

I was only thinking about smaller ones, you caught me! :p

Anyway, what has e.g. Adobe done in last few years? Creative Suite has been the same for years now with small additions. Mobile market, on the other hand, is still open, there isn't an app for everything and with iPad's bigger screen, the possibilities are almost unlimited. Another thing about desktop OSs is piracy. Who pays for software nowadays? Not that many. Mobile platforms are currently very controlled, e.g. App Store is the only place to get apps for legit devices thus you have to pay to get something.

Desktop OSs have been around so long time that almost everything has been invented. Of course you can reinvent the wheel over and over again but it's not where the money is made. Desktop OSs must not be abandoned, they are still more popular but mobile market is where the money is made. You don't buy 1500$ MBP every year don't you? But you buy a new iPhone if it has something the old one doesn't :p

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
462 days.... and counting.

The iToys are a lot of fun. We get to enjoy all kinds of great content on them.
But I can't help but wonder what Steve's plan is for the content creators? The musicians, the painters, the visual FX artists at Pixar and Disney. The creative folk that require many many times the horsepower that an iToy could ever hope to provide.
Right now it feels a bit like Steve is happy to let that small market segment bleed away, back to the Linux and Windows side.
Even if Mac Pro's and Cinema Displays are updated this week, I can't help but notice a worrying trend developing here. :(

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
An event like the August 2007 one wouldn't surprise me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.