PDA

View Full Version : ZooGue case revealed

vynn
Jun 7, 2010, 11:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTlfCDBlOTU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByGN7h5BDdY

Although it's not the most attractive design there's a lot of function packed into it.

eTip
Jun 8, 2010, 01:11 AM
Still no pictures on the web site. Gawd that video is annoying. Slow things down and let us see the %#$& case! And that music is not hip or catchy - it is unnecessary and distracting. As for the 2nd video: More than a little too infomercial-ly. Sham-wow....

Zepaw
Jun 8, 2010, 01:22 AM
Still no pictures on the web site. Gawd that video is annoying. Slow things down and let us see the %#$& case! And that music is not hip or catchy - it is unnecessary and distracting. As for the 2nd video: More than a little too infomercial-ly. Sham-wow....

I'm gonna hope the infomercialness is a bit of a joke because it is quite comical. Seems a bit like a case or two I have seen on Amazon. Not something I will jumping to spend $50 on. Happy Owl Wallet however... :)

SchneiderMan
Jun 8, 2010, 02:15 AM
ShamWOW :D

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4126/shamwowcopy.jpg

arcangel6
Jun 8, 2010, 02:14 PM
ShamWOW :D

Great pic but I don't think that was the guy he was emulating. I'd like to see a more serious video from ZooGue discussing and demonstrating the functionality of the case. I despise the slick infomercial format....yes I know they sell product but the demographics for an iPad are likely different than a veg-o-matic.

Some of my observations based only on the videos and images posted online:

-The case looks well made based on the photos but I look forward to some hands-on comments.

-I does appear to deliver on the 'any angle at any time thing'.*

-One of the things folks mention LOTS here is the added footprint. The ZooGue (based on the video and images) seems to add substantial thickness. However, I imagine the iPad would be well protected within the case.

-The size of the flap/kickstand element appears to be a little big. Perhaps the functional demands require the size.

-I have mixed feelings about the elastic strap and the velcro on the case.

Any idea how much the case weighs without the iPad? The Piel Frama Agenda (magnetic closure) weighs in at 270.2g (9.53oz). HOWEVER, it is substantially more expensive and does not have all the functionality of the ZooGue.

*Please correct me if I am wrong but the 'any angle at any time thing' seems true for the 'landscape mode only'. This is not a negative comments just an observation. I would imagine the angle variance would be more necessary for the horizontal (i.e. landscape) position.

theman510
Jun 8, 2010, 03:16 PM
So the Velcro is on the outside and exposed whenever the case is closed? Don't know if I like that if that's the case. Just makes it easier for dirt/fuzz to stick to it, and would be afraid to put it on my couch or anything upside down where the Velcro could pull at the fabric.

arcangel6
Jun 8, 2010, 03:29 PM
So the Velcro is on the outside and exposed whenever the case is closed? Don't know if I like that if that's the case. Just makes it easier for dirt/fuzz to stick to it, and would be afraid to put it on my couch or anything upside down where the Velcro could pull at the fabric.

You will see an image of the fully closed case in this video at 17 seconds in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTlfCDBlOTU

peapody
Jun 8, 2010, 04:06 PM
Somehow I don't really have confidence in that developer..

Looks like any other case but has an additional strap.

patp
Jun 8, 2010, 04:43 PM
i am less than impressed with his website. if you click the about us link, you'll see what i mean. why put that nonsense on your website?

Mac In School
Jun 8, 2010, 07:59 PM
I think it looks promising. Would love to see one in-person.

mcdj
Jun 8, 2010, 08:17 PM
I won't buy it on principle alone. The name has to be the worst one ever. And what's with the giant Halo knockoff logo? What the heck does ZooGue even mean or refer to? All I think of when I see the name is a big steaming pile of elephant turds....zoo goo.

If the case quality is anything like the guy's marketing skills, it will likely fall apart.

arcangel6
Jun 8, 2010, 10:23 PM
As I previously stated I am not crazy about the infomercial clip but I can't make a judgment about the product or its quality from the stuff online. He is just one guy who acted on an idea. He put his money where his mouth is and seems to have gotten it done. I can respect that and will be definitely be ordering one of his cases in the near future. I wish him well and truly hope he fulfills his own rags-to-riches story. The American Dream......

vynn
Jun 8, 2010, 10:39 PM
he sent one to pashyn so we should be seeing a video review from her soon.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?client=mv-google&v=Mv8CUhu-ZN4

ipadder
Jun 8, 2010, 11:45 PM
Uh...I was expected more 'wow'

iserian
Jun 9, 2010, 12:14 AM
It's the first one that I have seen that can attach to a car seat --- would like the feature fir the kids pad but probably not at 50.

MacJones
Jun 9, 2010, 08:28 PM
I like the case but I don't like the huge (.ZooGue.) logo on the front and back. I'll stick with my PDair case which has no logos on the front or back.

eTip
Jun 10, 2010, 02:20 AM
Yeah , that GIANT logo is all I need to see to known that I would never buy one regardless of functionality. I prefer no logo at all on my cases etc - but if it has to be there then it needs to be as small as possible and definitely no more than one.

SchneiderMan
Jun 10, 2010, 03:33 AM
Yeah , that GIANT logo is all I need to see to known that I would never buy one regardless of functionality. I prefer no logo at all on my cases etc - but if it has to be there then it needs to be as small as possible and definitely no more than one.

So what you're saying is that you don't want to be sponsored when you actually have to be the one paying :p

Formul
Jun 10, 2010, 09:44 AM
looks nice .. the huge logos give it a bit texture, but i could live without them bth :-) it looks (i dont know if it actually is) slimmer than the incase jacket while offering similar functionality

patp
Jun 10, 2010, 10:32 AM
lots of newbie supporters.

Advil
Jun 10, 2010, 11:31 AM
meh

Hammie
Jun 10, 2010, 11:39 AM
I like the concept of some of the design but the case overall is FUGLY!!!!

Also, velcro on the outside is a FAIL!

I have two school age kids and the velcro on their book bags are filled wi th fuzz and dirt and god knows what else. I can't see that case looking good after a week or two.

And don't get me started with the huge rubber logo. Really cheapens the look of it.

cybertechy
Jun 15, 2010, 04:26 AM
Who does this kid think he is ..........Billy Mays............ in his infomercial. Tim just go back to flipping burgers you loser......these big companies will chew you up and spit you out.

bmorley
Jun 15, 2010, 07:50 AM
Who does this kid think he is ..........Billy Mays............ in his infomercial. Tim just go back to flipping burgers you loser......these big companies will chew you up and spit you out.

Seriously?:confused: Nice insulting and needlessly mean-spirited first post.

Whether you like his product/presentation or not, at least he has made an effort to create something.

techguy1
Jun 15, 2010, 08:29 AM
Get one for free :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M_WvAcL71w

arcangel6
Jun 15, 2010, 10:12 AM

Whether you like his product/presentation or not, at least he has made an effort to create something.

well said!

jmor
Jun 15, 2010, 04:33 PM
Not crazy about all the velcro, I want nice leather with a good feel and functionality

Daremo
Jun 15, 2010, 06:04 PM
You know... The more I see this case, the more I like it. I have to get it in my hands to judge. If I do, I'll do a review of it.

rxpbr
Jun 18, 2010, 03:56 PM
Are these shipping to the public yet?

niuniu
Jun 20, 2010, 06:14 AM
Copying the infomercial format was really stupid. It wasn't witty enough to be a parody, so I can only guess it was the result of lack of creativity / business savvy.

Tip for anyone bringing out any product - know your audience and don't ignore criticism. If you're getting a lot of stick from people there might just be a good reason for it.

I am in the market for a good case, and I liked the functionality of this one. But really, with an advert like that, I'm not prepared to throw any money at them. There's no trust here. Could be a bunch of guys who bought something from Alibaba and are trying to flog it for all we know.

Jsn
Jun 20, 2010, 11:05 AM
Since you're reading this thread, Mr. Angel, I do hope you might be able to appreciate what it represents: a rare opportunity to get real reactions from your target market. Companies pay a lot of money to conduct focus groups, and here you are getting one for free.

If you wish to be a professional entrepreneur, you would do well to accept the valuable gift of honesty--even honesty that you disagree with--rather than attempt to bat it aside with statements like "you call it nonsense, I call it the Truth".

I have some observations to make, and I'll make them frankly.

1.) Your website is riddled with typos. "...there is only one thing your are missing" is the first thing I see on the homepage, and it continues from there. If you can't pay the proper attention to detail on your own website, how can I expect it from your products?

2.) Placing a massive product name on your case is inherently antithetical to the Apple aesthetic. An iPad subtly states :apple: It doesn't blare A*P*P*L*E.

3.) Nonsensical or out-of-context product names can be quite effective: the Kindle, for example, has nothing to do with fireplaces, but it's memorable. The name"ZooGue", however, has actively negative connotations, and in fact induces in me a subliminal response close to nausea. I could not imagine a more unpleasant name without resorting to obscenity.

4.) Are you building a company? Then make it look like a company, and not a personal exercise in self-improvement. Your obsessive documentation of your own birth-of-an-entrepreneur story comes across as amateurish, because it steals the spotlight from the product and places it on you. I understand that it's a very exciting journey--but your eagerness to hit the big time is not germane to my purchasing decision.

malbright
Jun 20, 2010, 11:41 AM
I have to hand it to Jsn for being kind enough to take the time to write such a thoughtful commentary. Mr. Angel would be wise to listen. Well done, mate.

JayMysterio
Jun 20, 2010, 01:00 PM
The best advertising they've done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CutCE7dbOYA&feature=sub

The logo is a bit obnoxious for my tastes. Not sure why the need to make the logo so prominent, as opposed to a more professional corner one.

jeremy3721
Jun 20, 2010, 08:03 PM
I kind of like it. Wish they'd put out a version with the rail system like the Noreve has. I just hate having the bezel covered up. Also wouldn't mind one of the logos being done away with. Otherwise it's pretty good looking. I'll be looking to see hands on reviews.

MacJones
Jun 21, 2010, 03:51 AM
Just noticed their website was redesigned, looks much better. :)

SchneiderMan
Jun 22, 2010, 01:47 AM
At last a better site (:

peapody
Jun 22, 2010, 06:05 AM
I love how the link says "products", but you have only one.

Anything else in the pipeline?

Sdevante
Jun 22, 2010, 10:06 AM
Me thinks Mr. Angel would do well to not only listen to his potential customers, but to refrain from responding to their criticisms with sarcasm.

Quite frankly, you come across as a pompous @$$ with an unproven product. Those two things do not generally mesh well together.

SchneiderMan
Jun 23, 2010, 01:22 AM
Nope no green box (yet) :eek:

MacJones
Jun 23, 2010, 03:53 AM
Is it really necessary for you to put...

Tim Angel
Owner
ZooGue
http://www.ZooGue.com

for each quote? One for each post is plenty.

cmvsm
Jun 23, 2010, 07:55 AM

+1

The guy has obviously put a lot of effort in design and getting this thing produced. It's not for me, and I won't be buying one, as its a little too bulky and the logo is a turn off, but you've got to give the guy his due for turning his idea into reality. Takes a lot of resilience to do that.

Tangu
Jun 24, 2010, 05:16 PM
6 more day until shipping? It's now the 30th of June

Are you confident that will be the real date ? :)

patp
Jun 26, 2010, 09:10 AM
http://jan.ocregister.com/2010/06/26/jobless-inventor-creates-ipad-case/40165/

Local newspaper ran a story on our favorite case maker. Didn't know you were local to OC.

papa1
Jun 27, 2010, 10:21 AM
It got a nice review from a long time forum member over on the ipad forums.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-accessories/6023-zoogue-case-review.html

Looks like a solid case at a solid price if portfolio/functionality is what your looking for.

Daremo
Jun 27, 2010, 06:21 PM
I received my case, and I'm doing up a full review tomorrow, but guys, I have to tell you, the build quality, materials, and function of this case is fantastic. I was a skeptic at first, and after getting one in my hand, this case is pure quality. The ability to be able to set this on only angle is more then useful. And to be honest, the logos don't bother me at all. More tomorrow!

arcangel6
Jun 27, 2010, 11:16 PM
Just ordered my ZooGue. I currently use a Piels Frama case. Just sold a Vaja iVolution (Mamut) case.

Regards,

Joe

Resist
Jun 28, 2010, 01:35 AM
I have mixed feelings about the elastic strap and the velcro on the case.So do I. Elastic straps tend to get stretched out over time and Velcro loses its effectiveness when it picks up debris.

But with that said, I am very much interested in this case, even though I think $50 is a bit much for a case. Although I wish I could have reviewed it. I am surprised something like it hasn't previously hit the market.

Daremo
Jun 28, 2010, 02:50 AM
I too thought $50 might be high, until I got it in hand. I've seen a few other cases like this one, folio style from bigger companies, and in all seriousness, not a one came close to this build quality. Every stitch on this case is straight, the leather is actually leather, and not some sort of "leather like" material. It's worth every penny.

papa1
Jun 29, 2010, 07:08 AM
I received my case, and I'm doing up a full review tomorrow, but guys, I have to tell you, the build quality, materials, and function of this case is fantastic. I was a skeptic at first, and after getting one in my hand, this case is pure quality. The ability to be able to set this on only angle is more then useful. And to be honest, the logos don't bother me at all. More tomorrow!

Any closer to getting your review out?

papa1
Jul 1, 2010, 01:47 PM
I seen your review today over at http://metalheadreview.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/zoogue-smart-case-for-the-ipad/

I already ordered it a few days ago and waiting on mine.

arcangel6
Jul 1, 2010, 11:42 PM
Hi Guys,

Used my ZooGue case for the first time today and was very impressed. Congrats Tim on a really great product.

A little background, I have been using a Piels Frama agenda style case in black and love it. I also owned a Vaja iVolution in Mamut style leather, a sweet case but not for my tastes so I sold it. Lastly, I purchased a Yoobao agenda style case in orange/brown.

(Ranking used below 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 with 1 being best)

I would rank the above in terms of luxurious quality construction and feel:
Vaja/Piels Frama > ZooGue > Yoobao

In terms of Functionality:
ZooGue (hands down the best) > Yoobao > Piels Frama > Vaja

For protection and solid build construction:
ZooGue (hands down the best) > Yoobao/Piels Frama/Vaja

Overall thinnest profile:
Yoobao (hands down the best) > Piels Frama > Vaja > ZooGue

Best bang for the buck:
ZooGue > Yoobao* > Piels Frama > Vaja

*While the price of the Yoobao is hard to beat HOWEVER, given the thought that went into the case, the solid quality construction and the price point for a leather case the ZooGue is definitely my favorite. No its is not as pretty as the Vaja or the PF but it costs quite a bit less.

Things I'd like to see in the next iteration of the ZooGue:

1) Greatly reduce the Logo.....you may have gone 'a little over the top' on that Tim.

2) The leather border around the screen is just a wee bit too wide and could be reduced.

3) I would make the light sensor cut out the same shape as the button cut out so the iPad could be placed in either orientation. I am used to having my button on the left in landscape mode when using the in the elevated position.

4) Offer a model without the velcro straps. I have no use for them.

5) I prefer the interior of the Piels Frama. The felt or suede is a dust magnet.

I will finish by saying that I love the ZooGue case so much that I just ordered one as a gift for a friend.

Regards,

Joe

papa1
Jul 2, 2010, 10:01 PM
2 days from order time to get it to Ohio. Case is nice, love it. Solid built... Very cool. Fast shipping, much less money then allot of these other cases and probably the most "functional" case that exists right now.
Thumbs up from me! :)

applesupergeek
Jul 2, 2010, 10:49 PM
Take it to the zoo and feed it a bannana.

applesupergeek
Jul 3, 2010, 07:58 PM
thanks for taking my humour well, it was meant to be taken well, bol with your case.

Resist
Jul 4, 2010, 11:36 PM
I would rather spend my money on the product and not the box it's shipped in. So while the ZooGue's Apple like box is solid, a lower price on this product would have been better.

The box becomes useless and usually gets thrown away by most people after it arrives. So having to pay extra on the product for a "premium" box in this economy, rubs me the wrong way.

Jsn
Jul 5, 2010, 12:51 AM
Is it just me, or have Mr. ZueGoo's posts been removed from this thread?

SchneiderMan
Jul 5, 2010, 01:06 AM
Is it just me, or have Mr. ZueGoo's posts been removed from this thread?

He got banned.

patp
Jul 5, 2010, 09:25 AM
He got banned.

Let me guess, he opened a bunch of new user accounts just for the sole purpose of making his product look incredible?they were all traced back to his IP address or some similar not well thougt out nonsense?

iPadlover2
Jul 7, 2010, 11:54 AM
Cool idea, but I don't mind taking mine out of case while in car to use a dedicated secure headrest mount. Also, my daughter pointed out this elastic might stretch or get loose.

I like this one - the Muvn Mount

http://www.amazon.com/Muvn-Car-Headrest-Mount-iPad/dp/B003UTJR7U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278458115&sr=8-7

Mr. Biggles
Jul 8, 2010, 05:11 PM
Hi Guys,

Used my ZooGue case for the first time today and was very impressed. Congrats Tim on a really great product.

Joe

I ordered one myself and it arrived today. I busted on Tim pretty good on an older thread, and I still think his marketing technique has a lot to be desired, but this case really has merit. The design is very well thought out and the quality exceeds what I expected to be quite honest.

I still hands-down prefer my Orbino case, but this will make a good travel case and something for work when I have field time and subject the iPad to a sometimes adverse environment.

Buy.com has it for $39. http://www.buy.com/prod/zoogue-ipad-smart-case-sleeve-leather-black/q/loc/111/216265736.html

Sham Wow!!!:D

arcangel6
Jul 8, 2010, 07:02 PM
I ordered one myself and it arrived today. I busted on Tim pretty good on an older thread, and I still think his marketing technique has a lot to be desired, but this case really has merit. The design is very well thought out and the quality exceeds what I expected to be quite honest.

I still hands-down prefer my Orbino case, but this will make a good travel case and something for work when I have field time and subject the iPad to a sometimes adverse environment.

Hi,

I agree, that some of Tim's marketing strategy left a lot to be desired and his interactions on this list have been unfortunate at times.

I've read comments where folks are ridiculing the case without ever having seen it in person. I 'purchased' two of them (one for a friend) from Tim and I have NO affiliation with him or his company. The interaction was very professional and the cases were shipped promptly.

First, for those claiming the case is a cheap Chinese case you are wrong. It is not cheaply made. No it can't stand up to the luxurious feel of a Vaja, Orbino or Piels Frama but they cost upwards of 4 times the cost. In fact, I thought it very well made especially considering the price.

Some have commented on it's bulkiness and that is true about the case but is also very protective for that reason. I still prefer my Piels Frama. It is sleeker and lighter than the ZooGue but the fact is that it does not afford the same level of protection as the ZooGue.

The LARGE embossed logos have generated lots of negative comments and I would agree that the logos are wayyyyy over the top but I am not bothered by them.

Regarding the ZooGue's much maligned velcro, I am not keen on them but the velcro does impart a superb functionality in landscape tilt positions.

Jsn
Jul 9, 2010, 02:15 AM
Thanks for putting it in perspective, arcangel6. The bottom line: there is no one ideal case for everyone.

I was personally put off by the company founder's bragging about how superior his product was to anything out there, and I saw more than a touch of ego in the huge logo (applied to the case not once, but twice). But I'd overlook all that if it was the right case for me. Unfortunately, the thickness is a deal-killer for me.

Personally, I don't think the perfect iPad case (for my needs) has been invented yet. I have a nicely-priced, non-fancy but serviceable stopgap case, and i'll use it until the next generation of cases hits the market.

flatline82
Jul 9, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hey guys.... just wanted to drop my two cents in here as well. I received my review sample here about 15 minutes ago. First impressions? Despite the drama going on here involving the marketing tactics and so forth, I'm quite impressed with this case. Ya, it adds a little bulk...but less than the Incase Convertible Book jacket thats for sure. The overall quality and build on this thing is quite outstanding. Having nearly ANY landscape adjustable viewing angle is very nice indeed. The leather is clean and stitched well, the inner lining is soft (duh!) and protects the iPad well... I'm overall impressed! The logo is a tad large as others have said and I'm sure this could use a couple refinements but as a first design its pretty rad. This thing is extremely sturdy as well...unlike many stand cases, this wont move at ALL when that back panel is on the velcro tracks.

My suggestions if Tim is still allowed to view this site?

1. Ditch the as seen on TV style marketing...go with something slick and pretty, re: dodocase website. Go the Twitter/Facebook route, develop a fan base.

2. Smaller logo.

3. Make "headrest" strap optional, multiple models maybe.

4. Keep the box style the case comes in - It's a pretty neat design with the magnetic enclosure and case sitting in there all pretty. However, ditch the "as seen on TV" art work and maybe just make the box a solid color with the company name on it...a bit more elegant.

I'll be doing a video review here sometime in the next couple days after I have some more time with it.. :cool: