Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwoltman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
I'm typing this on my brand new 12" PowerBook, and I must say I'm impressed. However, I am used to Linux/Solaris/*BSD, and was wondering if there was some kind of guide or FAQ that details what's different with OS X compared to other UNIX-type systems.

Like, what is the root password? Where do my personal preferences get stored? I installed Firefox, and went looking for my .mozilla folder but couldn't find it. Basic stuff like that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
jwoltman said:
I'm typing this on my brand new 12" PowerBook, and I must say I'm impressed. However, I am used to Linux/Solaris/*BSD, and was wondering if there was some kind of guide or FAQ that details what's different with OS X compared to other UNIX-type systems.

Like, what is the root password? Where do my personal preferences get stored? I installed Firefox, and went looking for my .mozilla folder but couldn't find it. Basic stuff like that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

I haven't seen anything in particular.

You can activate root and set a password through NetInfo Manager in /Applications/Utilities in the security menu. You have to authenticate with your administrator password first.

Preferences are stored under your user area, usually in Library/Preferences but application options are also stored under Application Support.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Sorry, don't know about any such FAQ or guide (maybe someone else will), but I can answer your questions.

OS X ships disables the root account by default for security purposes. Any admin account can use 'sudo' so you're never completely locked out. If you want to enable the root account: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106290

Your prefs are stored in ~/Library/Preferences/. Not familiar with the .mozilla folder - what's typically in there?

edit - bous' beat me by 2 minutes. :mad: ;)

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Folders and files that start with . are hidden in Finder. You can see them with Terminal by doing a 'ls -al'.
System-wide preferences are stored in the /Library folder.
User Preferences are stored in /Users/username/Library

I used google a lot, and i figured things out after a short while.

Lee Tom

jwoltman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Thank you both for your quick responses. I will be poking around a lot this weekend. I already re-installed everything once :) just to see what the process was like (and disabled Classic while I was at it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.