PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy to Carry iPhone 4 at Launch

MacRumors
Jun 9, 2010, 10:32 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/09/best-buy-to-carry-iphone-4-at-launch/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/06/09/113222-best_buy_apple_shop.png

Yesterday, we noted (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/08/radioshack-to-carry-iphone-4-at-launch/) that electronics retail chain RadioShack will be carrying the iPhone 4 at launch in the United States. A few hours later, Engadget reported (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/08/iphone-4-at-best-buy-for-launch-at-least-45-devices-per-store/) that Best Buy too will be ready for launch day with at least 45 iPhones per store available for sale.We just got word from one of our trusted sources that Best Buy will indeed have the newfangled phone at launch, and even better, we've got some details on the inventory. A minimum of 30 units for the 32GB device and 15 of the 16GB will apparently be available at each store, and employee purchases are banned at launch.The company has yet to make any official announcements, however, regarding its plans for availability and possible pre-orders.

Article Link: Best Buy to Carry iPhone 4 at Launch (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/09/best-buy-to-carry-iphone-4-at-launch/)

sdiesel619
Jun 9, 2010, 10:35 AM
Gotta dust off those GC's!!!!

mflender
Jun 9, 2010, 10:36 AM
ATT, Apple Stores, Walmart, Best Buy, and Radioshack will have the iphone 4 at launch.

eddywashere
Jun 9, 2010, 10:53 AM
Woohoo, their insurance is A++. apple care schmapple care :|

NikeTalk
Jun 9, 2010, 11:01 AM
This just in: Your local Post Office will carry iPhone 4 at launch also*

*Stamps required with purchase.

silentmike
Jun 9, 2010, 11:50 AM

+1 Hahaha. God I Hope Im eligible for an upgrade on one of my lines (My personal line isn't because i got the 3GS on the day it came out) Might have to steal an upgrade from another family member. : P

fabian9
Jun 9, 2010, 11:53 AM
wow 45 per store? how long is that likely to last - 10 mins?

nickXedge
Jun 9, 2010, 12:01 PM
+1 Hahaha. God I Hope Im eligible for an upgrade on one of my lines (My personal line isn't because i got the 3GS on the day it came out) Might have to steal an upgrade from another family member. : P

You may be eligible for the new iPhone. My brother got the 3GS almost 2 weeks after the launch and he is eligible to upgrade. And if you got the 3GS on launch day, you should obviously be eligible as well.

rwilliams
Jun 9, 2010, 12:12 PM
Make it available for pre-order and I'm there.

Numbah One
Jun 9, 2010, 12:14 PM
wow 45 per store? how long is that likely to last - 10 mins?

depends on when the Best Buy employees gets back from the Apple store with their iPhone 4 on launch day :D

ajsnow6234
Jun 9, 2010, 12:26 PM
Well if I had my choice I would be buying one at Best Buy mainly because of giftcards and getting reward zone points. However, with only a limited supply I'm not sure. If they will do pre-orders I am definitely in. If they don't make and annoucement or anything before the 15th...I'll just reserve with Apple.

TXCraig
Jun 9, 2010, 02:29 PM
From what I just read, Radio Shack will be taking Pre Orders on the 15th also, so I have my fingers crosssed that BB will do the same... I need to call my BB personal shopper and have them get it for me! :D

Tyre
Jun 9, 2010, 02:30 PM

Excellent hahaha.
45 iPhones? I don't believe those numbers, unless Apple is limiting their supplies. I love that they are expanding where we can get things on launch day. Pictures of hundred-person lines are all well and good for advertising, but just annoying to get around.

Silent Mike you may be able to get yours, just check here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/07/how_to_tell_if_youre_eligible_for_atts_iphone_4_upgrade_pricing.html

JLEW700
Jun 9, 2010, 02:31 PM
Gotta dust off those GC's!!!!

So we'll be able to use bestbuy gift cards to purchase the iPhone???

sdiesel619
Jun 9, 2010, 03:10 PM

I would hope so. Its a gift card. There shouldnt be any restrictions on gift cards! If they dont accept them, I guess Im going to an Apple store.:D

St8kout
Jun 9, 2010, 04:39 PM
I will definitely pre-order on June 15. No way am I going to camp out for a store opening to get one. I got enough of that from camping out for concert tickets back in the day. We would be about 30th in line, and when you got to the ticket window the only seats available were in the nose-bleed section off to the side as all the good seats were pre-sold to people with connections.

I do have to wonder why so few for each store. I seem to remember reading something about Apple ordering 23 million of them. But then again, there's the free media coverage of people standing in line outside the stores to get one, just like with the ipad.

CompanionCube
Jun 9, 2010, 05:20 PM

No, you will not.

JLEW700
Jun 9, 2010, 05:51 PM
No, you will not.

Source?

marvel2
Jun 9, 2010, 05:55 PM
^^ I'd like to know this also

JLEW700
Jun 9, 2010, 08:23 PM
I just talked to 3 local best buy's and they all said that we WILL be able to use gift cards towards the purchase of the new iPhone.

Also, they confirmed that they will be doing pre-orders starting on the 15th!

calsci
Jun 9, 2010, 08:54 PM
Lets hope they can have more supply then they did with the ipad. They are still struggling to keep up.

sdiesel619
Jun 9, 2010, 09:14 PM
I just talked to 3 local best buy's and they all said that we WILL be able to use gift cards towards the purchase of the new iPhone.

Also, they confirmed that they will be doing pre-orders starting on the 15th!

I just called Best Buy CS and they did confirm that they will have pre-order on the 15th. He confirmed that something will go up on the website a couple of days before that.

GC's are good to go also!:)

gimmeaipod
Jun 9, 2010, 10:55 PM
can I get FAN discount from Best Buy online preorder?

Amanda84
Jun 9, 2010, 11:58 PM
When you buy one at these stores, how do they activate it or know if your up for an upgrade?

rwilliams
Jun 10, 2010, 12:06 AM
When you buy one at these stores, how do they activate it or know if your up for an upgrade?

Best Buy sells all of the big name phones for all major carriers, and they have a dedicated section of the store for mobile phone purchases, so they can easily activate your phone or look up your existing contract. I've had several phones activated at Best Buy and not once have I had a problem.

zeromeus
Jun 10, 2010, 12:26 AM
Too bad Apple doesn't let Costco sell these iPhones.

bloodbone
Jun 10, 2010, 01:52 AM
I work for BestBuy/GeekSquad, so let me confirm that that yes, we'll be selling iPhones at launch, and there will indeed be an employee purchase hold to allow clients to purchase the entire stock for a certain period of time.

You will be able to use rewardzone certificates, store credit, gift cards, anything that would normally apply to other in-store categories.

Also the warranty that BBY mobile sells on the iPhone is pretty decent, it includes ADH (accidental damage from handling) so if you drop the phone, spill water on it or get it wet, crack the screen, all that stuff is covered under warranty.

havenhamilton
Jun 10, 2010, 02:53 AM
I work for BestBuy/GeekSquad, so let me confirm that that yes, we'll be selling iPhones at launch, and there will indeed be an employee purchase hold to allow clients to purchase the entire stock for a certain period of time.

You will be able to use rewardzone certificates, store credit, gift cards, anything that would normally apply to other in-store categories.

Also the warranty that BBY mobile sells on the iPhone is pretty decent, it includes ADH (accidental damage from handling) so if you drop the phone, spill water on it or get it wet, crack the screen, all that stuff is covered under warranty.

when something is wrong the genius bar replace the phone on the spot. does best buy do that?

mtasoriya
Jun 10, 2010, 04:27 AM
Last Month i buy a iPhone...and i always worry about my phone because its very expensive and it has my very important data.i want to know that is any company proved insurance for iphone?

jayducharme
Jun 10, 2010, 07:57 AM
With Android phones available on nearly every street corner, this is a good strategy to try to get more iPhones out there, even though they're tied solely to AT&T. If Apple keeps expanding the number of distributors, they're bound to sell more iPhones. AT&T must be happy.

bloodbone
Jun 10, 2010, 09:11 AM
when something is wrong the genius bar replace the phone on the spot. does best buy do that?

That's not entirely true. While you will often times find an Apple genius who is willing to do that, (I've seen it many times myself), the Apple warranty agreement reads...

This warranty does not apply: (b) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, flood, fire, earthquake or other external causes.http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/iphone.pdf

BestBuy's warranty is pretty much a service/replacement plan. Meaning we will first try to "rapid exchange" the phone for you. As soon as GeekSquad checks the phone into the system, a request is generated to send a new or re-manufactured iPhone from our nearest repair center to the BestBuy store you request. This process normally takes about 2-3 days. When that happens if fulfills the service portion of your warranty contract.

If our repair center is out of new or re-manufactured iPhones then the system alerts that GeekSquad agent and then will send you to customer service to exchange your broken phone for a new one.

I normally recommend people purchase BestBuy warranties on Apple products that are capable of having the ADH warranty on them. Which are Laptops, and iPhones. Reason being, if you drop it, it's definitely covered. And you can still take it to any Apple service center to get repairs made as long as you're still within your Apple care warranty.

If you get an iPhone from BestBuy and you're still within your Applecare warranty or you find a polite Apple genius, then nothing is stopping you from trying to get a damaged iPhone exchanged. The only real difference is that BestBuy explicitly guaranties that it will either be repaired or replaced, whereas Apple says they will not repair/replace it, but normally make concessions.

wiestlingjr
Jun 10, 2010, 09:15 AM
Has it been officially confirmed that best buy will even carry the iphone? or is it still speculation. And if they are carrying it, any work on preorders?

sdiesel619
Jun 10, 2010, 10:13 AM
Has it been officially confirmed that best buy will even carry the iphone? or is it still speculation. And if they are carrying it, any work on preorders?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple/iPhone-3G-3GS/pcmcat160500050018.c?id=pcmcat160500050018&searchterm=iphone&searchresults=1

lhsa
Jun 10, 2010, 11:54 AM
bloodbone:

how does BB handle upgrades if you're eligible? Do we just pay the upgrade cost?

how much does the BB plan cost?

Aphex3D
Jun 10, 2010, 12:51 PM
bloodbone:

how does BB handle upgrades if you're eligible? Do we just pay the upgrade cost?

Upgrades are handled as if in an at&t store. I'll be paying 299 for a 32gb iphone 4 come the 24th (assuming I get a hold of one).

Don't know about BB plan, would like to know.

bloodbone
Jun 10, 2010, 01:30 PM
bloodbone:

Aphex3D above me is correct. You pay the same prices as you would in an ATT store. We have a proprietary application that ties in with all major cellphone providers in the US and were're able to reference your account, apply upgrades, activate new lines, terminate lines, etc.

They will check your upgrade status, and if you qualify for either a regular upgrade, or the early iPhone upgrade then you will only pay 199 or 299 for the 16GB and 32GB respectively.

Also as a side note, if you've got an iPhone 3GS that you purchased from BestBuy I would suggest immediately brining it up to the store and get a trade-in credit via our trade-in program. https://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/

I just checked the trade-in program and you get a 269.00 gift card for a 16GB 3GS (pretty nice if you only paid 199 for it) and you get a 311.00 dollar gift card for a 32GB 3GS. I would urge anyone thinking about the trade-in to do it ASAP because the prices are going down every day. I traded in my 32GB 3GS in last week before the keynote and I got about 330.00 for it on a gift card.

Ninja Edit: I just realized by BBY Plan you were probably reffering to the warranty. I'm not 100% sure because I've got an employee discount applied to mine. I think without a discount it is about 14 dollars a month. You have the option to pay the entire lump sum for the warranty at the time of purchase. Trust me, don't do this. If your phone needs to get exchanged they will sometimes have you purchase a new warranty on a new phone. This isn't a big deal if you're paying monthly, but if you already pre-paid for a years worth you get a pro-rated refund for the duration left on the warranty; the pro-rated refund is normally off by a few months, so if the plan is 14 dollars per month you're losing about 42 dollars.

lhsa
Jun 10, 2010, 01:35 PM
most excellent information, bloodbone:cool:

TXCraig
Jun 11, 2010, 06:43 AM

They have an activation process just like the Apple Store.

AttilaTheHun
Jun 11, 2010, 02:19 PM
info from BGR

WALMART TOO

DaREdBaRoN
Jun 11, 2010, 03:11 PM
Looks like I'll be making a stop at the AT&T store before work on the 24th. It's stupid that they are prohibiting employees from buying it when we won't get the phones till that morning anyway, and its not like Best Buy loses money off employees since I have to pay the exact same as everyone else.

Whatever

GatorsFan
Jun 11, 2010, 05:01 PM
FOX NEWS reporting analysts expect T-Mobile to be next USA carrier to get the iPhone. See story at http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/06/11/t-mobile-carry-iphone-says-analyst/?test=latestnews#commenting.

Me, I'm predicting SPRINT will get it, and that Best Buy stores will be selling them in September, 2010. If I'm correct, your applause will be sufficient.

GatorsFan
Jun 11, 2010, 05:07 PM
Looks like I'll be making a stop at the AT&T store before work on the 24th. It's stupid that they are prohibiting employees from buying it when we won't get the phones till that morning anyway, and its not like Best Buy loses money off employees since I have to pay the exact same as everyone else.

Whatever

Isn't Best Buy participating in the pre-ordering program on June 15th? Apple Stores are, as is AT&T. At both places, the phones will be ready for pickup on the 24th ---AT&T promises front-of-the-line, no waiting for pre-ordering customers. Of course, you have to pay for it when you order it, but. . .

indisguise
Jun 11, 2010, 05:16 PM
Isn't Best Buy participating in the pre-ordering program on June 15th? Apple Stores are, as is AT&T. At both places, the phones will be ready for pickup on the 24th ---AT&T promises front-of-the-line, no waiting for pre-ordering customers. Of course, you have to pay for it when you order it, but. . .

Best Buy hasn't officially said anything about how the pre-order process will work or when it will start, but im sure they will announce something before the 15th.

GatorsFan
Jun 11, 2010, 05:26 PM
Best Buy hasn't officially said anything about how the pre-order process will work or when it will start, but im sure they will announce something before the 15th.
Well, they certainly should. Can't believe such a mega-retailer's missing out on the opportunity. I think even Wal-Mart's taking pre-orders (tho' I'm not sure, really). Ask you phone department manager. FWIW, I'm pre-ordering at AT&T on Tuesday (15th), or maybe the Apple Store if they have the same pickup-with-no-waiting-in-line policy.

HDJulie
Jun 11, 2010, 05:57 PM
Well, they certainly should. Can't believe such a mega-retailer's missing out on the opportunity. I think even Wal-Mart's taking pre-orders (tho' I'm not sure, really). Ask you phone department manager. FWIW, I'm pre-ordering at AT&T on Tuesday (15th), or maybe the Apple Store if they have the same pickup-with-no-waiting-in-line policy.

I stopped at one of our Best Buy's today & was told that I can pre-order by coming into the store Tuesday (the 15th) & placing a $50 deposit. I'll be able to pick up the phone at the store on the 24th.

Amanda84
Jun 11, 2010, 11:07 PM
Best Buy sells all of the big name phones for all major carriers, and they have a dedicated section of the store for mobile phone purchases, so they can easily activate your phone or look up your existing contract. I've had several phones activated at Best Buy and not once have I had a problem.

*** Where is the best place to pre-order at? Or is it better just to wait in line at one of the stores and get it that day? If you pre-order, you won't get it on launch day, 24th, will you?

Amanda84
Jun 11, 2010, 11:08 PM

** How much is that warranty?

Amanda84
Jun 11, 2010, 11:13 PM

**I thought u had to have it shipped to you if you pre-order and aren't guaranteed to get it by the 24th. Where did you hear you can have it shipped to the store and are guaranteed to have it that day in store?

bloodbone
Jun 11, 2010, 11:17 PM
** How much is that warranty?

I'm not 100% sure of the retail cost because I have an employee discount applied to mine. I think it is about 14 dollars a month.

slatermicha
Jun 12, 2010, 01:48 AM
Can you share a list of stores where i can find out this phone.i want to get this opportunity for buy this phone.

bloodbone
Jun 12, 2010, 03:30 AM
Can you share a list of stores where i can find out this phone.i want to get this opportunity for buy this phone.

What do you mean? Different BestBuy stores in your area, or different retailers such as Walmart, RadioShack, etc?

GatorsFan
Jun 12, 2010, 06:38 AM
Lets hope they can have more supply then they did with the ipad. They are still struggling to keep up.
Hence the reason for pre-ordering: You're guaranteed to get a phone the day they come out. It's good for you (quick), and it's good for the store (they better know their inventory needs, etc). Win-win.

jim.arrows
Jun 12, 2010, 11:55 AM
bloodbone, thanks for all the great info, I'm hoping you can answer a question about porting a number.

My personal line is currently on my company's Verizon account for billing purposes. I had our telecomm director note on the account that the line was eligible to be ported out - from your experience, do you anticipate this causing any issues? Any special "gotchas" I should be aware of ahead of time that I may be able to eliminate before they cause a problem? If a pre-order is offered, would this cause any special problems in terms of me being able to pre-order the phone, or is that a completely separate transaction from actually porting the number?

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide. I've been waiting since the original iPhone to be able to get one and they've finally given the ok so I'm just trying to make sure the transfer goes off without a hitch so I'll be able to get one on launch day, but I want to buy at BB to take advantage of an $85 reward zone coupon.

Cheers,
Jim

cu2010
Jun 12, 2010, 06:59 PM
**I thought u had to have it shipped to you if you pre-order and aren't guaranteed to get it by the 24th. Where did you hear you can have it shipped to the store and are guaranteed to have it that day in store?

Is it true also that if you choose to have it delivered to your door you won't get it on the 24th?

I just googled and found this http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2452992&tstart=0

bloodbone
Jun 12, 2010, 10:00 PM
bloodbone, thanks for all the great info, I'm hoping you can answer a question about porting a number.

My personal line is currently on my company's Verizon account for billing purposes. I had our telecomm director note on the account that the line was eligible to be ported out - from your experience, do you anticipate this causing any issues? Any special "gotchas" I should be aware of ahead of time that I may be able to eliminate before they cause a problem? If a pre-order is offered, would this cause any special problems in terms of me being able to pre-order the phone, or is that a completely separate transaction from actually porting the number?

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide. I've been waiting since the original iPhone to be able to get one and they've finally given the ok so I'm just trying to make sure the transfer goes off without a hitch so I'll be able to get one on launch day, but I want to buy at BB to take advantage of an $85 reward zone coupon.

Cheers,
Jim

Hi Jim, in theory what you're wanting to do "shouldn't" pose a problem. You may have to get it done at an actual ATT store though. BestBuy uses a propitiatory system to do all of our phone transactions and account management. While the system we use does allow us the capability to do what you are wanting, the people using it will more than likely not know how to do it. Unless you go to a pretty decent store (a higher revenue band), chances are the mobile associates will not have been trained to do these things.

For example, when the 3GS first came out, they were completely unaware that I could purchase it for early upgrade for only 199 or 299, since it was the special iPhone early upgrade. They were turning away clients left and right because they only knew how to sell the iPhone to new clients. They didn't even realize they had the ability to sell someone an iPhone who was still under the 2 year contract for an extra 200 dollars, they were just turning people away.

I would suggest calling your local store and asking speak to either the BestBuy mobile manager, or whomever has the most seniority in the mobile department. If they give you a straight answer then you should be good, if not, then they haven't been properly trained and there's little they will be able to do for you.

jim.arrows
Jun 12, 2010, 10:36 PM
Hi Jim, in theory what you're wanting to do "shouldn't" pose a problem. You may have to get it done at an actual ATT store though. BestBuy uses a propitiatory system to do all of our phone transactions and account management. While the system we use does allow us the capability to do what you are wanting, the people using it will more than likely not know how to do it. Unless you go to a pretty decent store (a higher revenue band), chances are the mobile associates will not have been trained to do these things.

For example, when the 3GS first came out, they were completely unaware that I could purchase it for early upgrade for only 199 or 299, since it was the special iPhone early upgrade. They were turning away clients left and right because they only knew how to sell the iPhone to new clients. They didn't even realize they had the ability to sell someone an iPhone who was still under the 2 year contract for an extra 200 dollars, they were just turning people away.

I would suggest calling your local store and asking speak to either the BestBuy mobile manager, or whomever has the most seniority in the mobile department. If they give you a straight answer then you should be good, if not, then they haven't been properly trained and there's little they will be able to do for you.

That's what I was afraid of, but thank you nonetheless for confirming that the fears are valid -- I'm sure the store is one of the best, it was a pilot for the BB/Magnolia concept when it opened a few years ago (Sterling, VA), but I'll probably just pre-order at the Apple Store and save the coupon for something else. Thanks again for the info!

AngelasAshes
Jun 13, 2010, 11:21 PM
thats sucks, lol. im an employee.

dkleinrodick
Jun 14, 2010, 11:10 AM
Does anybody know if BestBuy will be able to process orders on lines with a FAN number attached to the account?

bloodbone
Jun 14, 2010, 12:01 PM
Does anybody know if BestBuy will be able to process orders on lines with a FAN number attached to the account?

Yes, BestBuy has the capability of adding lines, and modifying accounts that have existing foundation accounts attached to them. They just do not have the ability to add new foundation accounts to your account. Does that answer your question?

dkleinrodick
Jun 14, 2010, 01:20 PM
Yes, BestBuy has the capability of adding lines, and modifying accounts that have existing foundation accounts attached to them. They just do not have the ability to add new foundation accounts to your account. Does that answer your question?

Yeah. Thank you for the quick response!

sdiesel619
Jun 14, 2010, 01:58 PM
I'm not 100% sure of the retail cost because I have an employee discount applied to mine. I think it is about 14 dollars a month.

I just spoke with BB Mobile and they said it was 14.99 a month for the Protection Plan. It covers everything except loss, theft, and water submersion.

bloodbone
Jun 14, 2010, 11:04 PM
The official word has come down from BBY corporate about 20 minutes ago. BestBuy will start their pre-sales tomorrow 6/15/10. It will be in-store only. You will fill out a form and pay a 50 dollar deposit, and then you will be given a 50 dollar BBY gift card.

Despite rumors about the shortage of the white iPhone, we will be selling all 4 different variations of the iPhone 4 on launch day. We will not be able to setup appointments to come in and purchase the phone until we actually have the stock hit the store, but that will happen within the next week.

We will be selling what appears to be a fullbody Rocketfish case, and a fullbody iFrogz case. I do not see any Bumper/Bunker cases at this time but I'm still hopefull that we get some, mainly due to the huge employee discounts.

We will be selling the Zagg invisible shields, and will be selling them at the same price as the online website. http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-iphone-4-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php If you don't feel like you can install these yourself then the BBY mobile team charges about 8 dollars to install them. My suggestion from looking at the intall jobs from the store in my area... try to do it yourself.

There will be a 30 day employee hold on these devices to avoid client disappointment. Right now there is no official number on how many each store will be getting. When the pre-orders start coming in, that is what will decide our stock levels. We will be sent enough to back our pre-orders, and that's more than likely it.

Also, if you have any sort of a foundation account number (FAN) on your ATT account then that is NOT an issue, BBY mobile will still be able to sell you the phone at any available upgrade pricing you may qualify for. However, if you are currently on a concession line, or a demo line, meaning your bill might range from $10-$50 dollars, then BBY will NOT be able to sell you the phone with upgrade pricing. You will either have to go through your company's HR department, or through ATT to still qualify for the upgrade pricing. If you do have a concession line or a demo line, we can still sell you the phone, only it will have to be at the no commitment prices.

HDJulie
Jun 15, 2010, 05:22 AM
The official word has come down from BBY corporate about 20 minutes ago. BestBuy will start their pre-sales tomorrow 6/15/10. It will be in-store only. You will fill out a form and pay a 50 dollar deposit, and then you will be given a 50 dollar BBY gift card.

Despite rumors about the shortage of the white iPhone, we will be selling all 4 different variations of the iPhone 4 on launch day. We will not be able to setup appointments to come in and purchase the phone until we actually have the stock hit the store, but that will happen within the next week.

So if I preorder one through Best Buy, I am not necessarily guaranteed to get one on launch day -- it will depend on how many come in? It is possible that there will be more preorders than the number of phones Best Buy will receive on launch day? If that is the case, is it first come, first served for picking up your preorder?

bloodbone
Jun 15, 2010, 07:37 AM
So if I preorder one through Best Buy, I am not necessarily guaranteed to get one on launch day -- it will depend on how many come in? It is possible that there will be more preorders than the number of phones Best Buy will receive on launch day? If that is the case, is it first come, first served for picking up your preorder?

In theory and on paper, if you pre-order one you will get it on launch day. BestBuy stores will be allocated the required number of iPhones based upon the number of pre-orders they receive. The only way I could see you not getting one on launch day, is if more pre-orders occurred than were currently manufactured, the shipments get lost or damaged or stolen, or if too large an amount of people try to signup for pre-orders.

If the store only has 1-2 mobile registers, and it takes about 20 minutes to process 1 client (average will be much higher), figure 3 people per hour for about 15 hours (7AM opening to 10PM closing), multiplied by two registers. That's roughly 90 people. As rough as those numbers are, you've got to guesstimate what the chances are of that many people pre-ordering at your nearest BestBuy. At some stores in my area I would be surprised to see half that number pre-order the phone. At other stores I would expect several hundred.

A pretty fair assumption is, that if you are allowed to pre-order then that BestBuy store should be confident that they will have stock levels that will allow you to get a phone. There is a master list so it's not like buying movie tickets, you'll be able to see or ask how many people pre-ordered before you.

HDJulie
Jun 15, 2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks! I'm going to go by one of our Best Buys after work.

slothy420
Jun 15, 2010, 10:03 AM
I just back from Best Buy after pre-ordering an iphone 4. There were 4 models to choose from, White or Black, 16gb or 32gb. There was a $50 deposit, for which I received a BB gift card which will be used when I pick up the phone, and I now have an scheduled appointment at BB so I'm guaranteed to get it on the release date - plus, I won't have to wait in any lines when I get there.

Prior to going to BB, I tried to order a phone online through Apple as well as AT&T. The Apple website got stuck at the point where I selected the phone I wanted. The AT&T website did not show the iPhone 4 as an option. Don't bother calling AT&T to try an order the new iphone - they will not take your order and will just refer you somewhere else.

starcrossed
Jun 15, 2010, 10:16 AM
When you preordered the iPhone from Best Buy did they check your AT&T account first to see if you qualify?

MacVixen
Jun 15, 2010, 12:00 PM
at this point I am just going to go into my local best buy after work. This apple/att website business is for the birds! :mad: I don't mind paying the $50 deposit as long as I am guaranteed a phone on the 24th. I was just planning on using my best buy credit card. Wonder if I will be able to do that for the pre-order? TIA very kind BB worker answering questions :)

chanpo
Jun 15, 2010, 01:39 PM
In theory and on paper, if you pre-order one you will get it on launch day. BestBuy stores will be allocated the required number of iPhones based upon the number of pre-orders they receive. The only way I could see you not getting one on launch day, is if more pre-orders occurred than were currently manufactured, the shipments get lost or damaged or stolen, or if too large an amount of people try to signup for pre-orders.

If the store only has 1-2 mobile registers, and it takes about 20 minutes to process 1 client (average will be much higher), figure 3 people per hour for about 15 hours (7AM opening to 10PM closing), multiplied by two registers. That's roughly 90 people. As rough as those numbers are, you've got to guesstimate what the chances are of that many people pre-ordering at your nearest BestBuy. At some stores in my area I would be surprised to see half that number pre-order the phone. At other stores I would expect several hundred.

A pretty fair assumption is, that if you are allowed to pre-order then that BestBuy store should be confident that they will have stock levels that will allow you to get a phone. There is a master list so it's not like buying movie tickets, you'll be able to see or ask how many people pre-ordered before you.

Bloodbone, I was 1st to preorder 2 White 32GB iPhones for my sister and me at the local Best Buy. If what you say is true, then I should get them on launch June 24th, right? What about the rumors of the white iPhones being delayed up to a month after launch?

chanpo
Jun 15, 2010, 01:48 PM
I just back from Best Buy after pre-ordering an iphone 4. There were 4 models to choose from, White or Black, 16gb or 32gb. There was a $50 deposit, for which I received a BB gift card which will be used when I pick up the phone, and I now have an scheduled appointment at BB so I'm guaranteed to get it on the release date - plus, I won't have to wait in any lines when I get there.

Prior to going to BB, I tried to order a phone online through Apple as well as AT&T. The Apple website got stuck at the point where I selected the phone I wanted. The AT&T website did not show the iPhone 4 as an option. Don't bother calling AT&T to try an order the new iphone - they will not take your order and will just refer you somewhere else.

How did you secure an appointment to get set up? Which color did you get? I preordered 2 white iPhones 1st at the local Best Buy, but they weren't able to set an appointment for receiving and setting up the iPhone but said they'll call me "soon" to set one up.

Meatwagon0316
Jun 15, 2010, 02:18 PM
I just went to Best Buy too. All they would say is that they will hold me a iphone when available and that no one is guaranteed an iphone on launch day but that they should get enough to meet the preorders.

I asked if this included the white iphone, considering that Apple and At&t are not offering it, and I was told by the clerk who was helping me that he checked all the Best Buy employee news and email and that he has been told the white iphone will be available at launch.

So I ordered 2 white 32GB phones. Crossing fingers....

slothy420
Jun 15, 2010, 04:20 PM
When you preordered the iPhone from Best Buy did they check your AT&T account first to see if you qualify?

I don't specifically recall, but I don't think they checked my account first to see if I qualified; the sales rep did ask me if I was buying the phone with a new plan or if it was an upgrade. Since I had checked the AT&T site the other day, I already knew that I did qualify.

sdiesel619
Jun 15, 2010, 04:27 PM
I just went to Best Buy too. All they would say is that they will hold me a iphone when available and that no one is guaranteed an iphone on launch day but that they should get enough to meet the preorders.

I asked if this included the white iphone, considering that Apple and At&t are not offering it, and I was told by the clerk who was helping me that he checked all the Best Buy employee news and email and that he has been told the white iphone will be available at launch.

So I ordered 2 white 32GB phones. Crossing fingers....

I did the same and went to BB before they opened. I was #1 and had no issues. I even questioned the offer for the white phone. I told them that I wanted the black 32gb. I gave them 50 for a GC and they put my name on a list for a 9am pick up time at BB the morning of the launch. They did a great job of organizing the whole thing!

slothy420
Jun 15, 2010, 04:28 PM
How did you secure an appointment to get set up? Which color did you get? I preordered 2 white iPhones 1st at the local Best Buy, but they weren't able to set an appointment for receiving and setting up the iPhone but said they'll call me "soon" to set one up.

When I paid the $50 deposit, the sales rep told us that they were making appointments (right there on the spot, no call backs or anything), 2 customers at a time, every fifteen minutes on the 24th, starting at 9am. I guess its different for each individual BB store.

I ordered a black iPhone 4 16gb. There was no mention of a problem or a delay with the white ones. If there is a problem with the white ones, then the sales rep (or anyone else in the store) was not aware of it.

severe
Jun 15, 2010, 04:43 PM
The GF and I stopped by our local BB just after opening this morning as well. As much as I don't particularly like BB, our location made it as painless a procedure as it could be. One iPhone each. In and out in a few minutes, with a 10am appointment made for pickup on the 24th. And a promise of a call for confirmation before then.

BTW, the GF used a gift certificate for the preorder and will use the remainder when she picks up the phone. Absolute zero out-of-pocket for her. I'm glad I tagged along today, having heard of the disaster elsewhere.

Good luck to those of you still looking to preorder.

HDJulie
Jun 15, 2010, 07:02 PM
I went after work. I was about the 25th person to preorder. They did not say they would call me, they would not set up an appointment, & I was not comfortable that they would not sell the preorder phones if they had enough people waiting at the door. I got the impression that there would be a preorder station so if you preordered you could essentially go to the head of the line but if they ran out of stock on regular phones, they might start selling preorders. I told the guy that I have to work that day & can't stand in line so I'll call him that morning & see what the situation is & if they "have enough to cover all preorders" they'll hold one for me until that afternoon. It was not a good feeling but I'm fairly sure I'll get one within a week of launch at the latest.

summerpeach
Jun 15, 2010, 07:23 PM
i went to two best buys and was told they did not have white iphones and don't know when they will be available. probably not for a month or so. they also said they can't guarantee anything, including getting the black iphone 4s on the 24th. they said they would call me later this week to let me know when i will be able to come pick up my phone. they said i will get a call before the 24th w/ this information and an appointment date and time . :(

jim.arrows
Jun 15, 2010, 08:46 PM
bloodbone, despite your warning I decided to pre-order at BB today - I was 4th in line to order, they did not give an appointment but said they'd call a day or 2 early to schedule me.

With regards to porting the number I asked you about before, they said they couldn't check the note on the account without our corporate account number - can you confirm that? I gave them the phone number & told them it was on Verizon, but they said they couldn't check it using the phone number and needed the corporate account number. Work says they won't give it to me, and insists they never give it to any employee and that it's never been a problem before. I just feel like I'm going to get caught in the middle on launch day and that they're not going to want to spend anytime working out issues since they'll be dealing with so many customers.

Can you just confirm whether the corporate account number is necessary, or can they check it by just using the phone number? I just want to know who I need to press, work to give me the number or BB to convince them they don't need it.

Thanks again,
Jim

nvjusme
Jun 15, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hey everyone,
There is no guarantee at Best Buy of any White Iphones but make sure you preorder the Black Iphone right away to ensure you get one ASAP. It's all up to Apple now as to when we'll get the Iphone at our Best Buy Store. We are not preordering WHITE Iphones anymore because even Apple is not preordering them. Best Advice for all customers is to hurry and preorder one so your name is on the list. Good luck.

carlili4190
Jun 15, 2010, 10:06 PM
bloodbone, despite your warning I decided to pre-order at BB today - I was 4th in line to order, they did not give an appointment but said they'd call a day or 2 early to schedule me.

With regards to porting the number I asked you about before, they said they couldn't check the note on the account without our corporate account number - can you confirm that? I gave them the phone number & told them it was on Verizon, but they said they couldn't check it using the phone number and needed the corporate account number. Work says they won't give it to me, and insists they never give it to any employee and that it's never been a problem before. I just feel like I'm going to get caught in the middle on launch day and that they're not going to want to spend anytime working out issues since they'll be dealing with so many customers.

Can you just confirm whether the corporate account number is necessary, or can they check it by just using the phone number? I just want to know who I need to press, work to give me the number or BB to convince them they don't need it.

Thanks again,
Jim

Here you go :D
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/basics/transfer-number/porting-faqs.jsp

Everything you need to know about porting and what you need when you port... I would just have them give you a temp # and then port the number yourself when you get home... Thats what I am doing

rebo0ot
Jun 16, 2010, 05:09 AM
I've noticed that the 8GB iPhone 3GS model is now on pre-order from Canada's online Apple Store. Ships by June 24. Cost is $549 with NO CONTRACT. You can choose your carrier afterward.

The iPhone has never been available from Canada's online store before. You always had to purchase through a carrier (with a contract). The carriers in Canada are BELL, TELUS, and ROGERS.

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=OTY2ODA2OQ

Eddie L.
Jun 16, 2010, 11:05 AM
Well, I just went to my local Best Buy. I had called them earlier when they opened this morning at 10:00 AM, and they said that they took about 20 preorders yesterday and were going to be taking preorders again today. I know, based on comments on this site, that they have a "loose" policy regarding the preorders (i.e., I don't know that they will stop taking preorders at any point), but my thinking is that if I am preorder #21, then I should get one on the launch day (since the report stated that each store would get "at least 45 iPhones" on launch day). I guess we will see, but this was at least as good of an alternative as ordering on Apple's site and not getting one until after July 2nd.

Anyway, I went in and got my preorder placed in a matter of minutes. In that short time frame, 2 other people came in to preorder as well! I told the BB guy that they will probably get a bunch of additional preorders today, since all other places are sold out.

sdiesel619
Jun 16, 2010, 11:27 AM
Well, I just went to my local Best Buy. I had called them earlier when they opened this morning at 10:00 AM, and they said that they took about 20 preorders yesterday and were going to be taking preorders again today. I know, based on comments on this site, that they have a "loose" policy regarding the preorders (i.e., I don't know that they will stop taking preorders at any point), but my thinking is that if I am preorder #21, then I should get one on the launch day (since the report stated that each store would get "at least 45 iPhones" on launch day). I guess we will see, but this was at least as good of an alternative as ordering on Apple's site and not getting one until after July 2nd.

Anyway, I went in and got my preorder placed in a matter of minutes. In that short time frame, 2 other people came in to preorder as well! I told the BB guy that they will probably get a bunch of additional preorders today, since all other places are sold out.

Just curious on what everyones process at BB was. I walked in and signed a sheet of paper with barcodes and a picture of the iPhone 4. I paid 50 for a GC and they put my name down on a list for a 9am appointment on launch day. I just want to see if BB has the same procedures everywhere else.

Eddie L.
Jun 16, 2010, 12:04 PM
Just curious on what everyones process at BB was. I walked in and signed a sheet of paper with barcodes and a picture of the iPhone 4. I paid 50 for a GC and they put my name down on a list for a 9am appointment on launch day. I just want to see if BB has the same procedures everywhere else.

Mine was exactly the same, except they did not schedule an appointment for me. Rather, they just told me to stop by the store on the 24th to pick up my phone.

marvel2
Jun 16, 2010, 12:33 PM
So on the 24th when I go into BB to pickup my preorder, will BB Mobile active a new contract for me? Or am I just buying the device? I am upgrading and my buddy is going to join me on a family plan.

Aphex3D
Jun 16, 2010, 12:53 PM
dammit I preordered a white. Wonder what issues will be ahead of me

BlondeBuddhist
Jun 16, 2010, 01:06 PM
dammit I preordered a white. Wonder what issues will be ahead of me

So did I. Then I went back today and asked what would happen to my preorder. The Mobile Manager said they are automatically taking the white pre-orders and swapping them to black. He also told me they would be opening at the usual 10 o'clock AM. I plan on getting there around 8.

Blonde Buddhist

Aphex3D
Jun 16, 2010, 01:35 PM
So did I. Then I went back today and asked what would happen to my preorder. The Mobile Manager said they are automatically taking the white pre-orders and swapping them to black. He also told me they would be opening at the usual 10 o'clock AM. I plan on getting there around 8.

Blonde Buddhist

interesting.

Dammit I wanted a white one too. I'm just going to assume the one white one they've ever so far made will be available to me at my store on june 24th. Or give the black to my sister once the white one comes out. EITHER OR.

Missveronica
Jun 16, 2010, 01:57 PM

Yes, that is the same procedure at our BB, except they said they would call the day before to set up appointments. I was about 12-13th in line, so I hope I get one. Not sure how many they will get in on the 24th.

summerpeach
Jun 16, 2010, 02:50 PM

yes, except they told me they'd give me a call sometime before the 24th as to when i can pick up my phone. it could be on the 24th, but it could also be a later date.

nachotaco
Jun 16, 2010, 03:01 PM
I went to best buy as well and was number 12 & 13.
I filled out the same sheet everyone else talks about and got my GC.
They didn't tell me anything else so I went home.

When I read that some had received appointments, I called my BB to inquire about mine.

They told me that they would not be scheduling appointments until they get them in stock, probably the 22nd or 23rd. They will be giving me a call when they have mine in stock to schedule an appointment.

Hopefully they still get the 45 rumored...I hope Apple and AT&T don't try and take them :eek:

Eddie L.
Jun 16, 2010, 03:41 PM
Just got a call from the Best Buy that I preordered from this morning. They are backtracking somewhat. They have stopped taking any preorders, and he said that they "were not aware that AT&T had halted preorders" when I placed mine this morning. He said that they guaranteed my preorder, but he could not guarantee that I would get it on the 24th (although he said that I could very well get it that day anyway).

I pressed him for more details, and they had taken 25 preorders before they stopped taking them. I was preorder #21. So, now I'm hoping that the report about each store getting 45 phones is correct. If not, then I'll probably have to wait. If they get at least 25 phones in for the launch date, then I'm guaranteed to get one. He told me to check back on the 22nd or 23rd, and he would know if they received enough phones to fill my preorder on the 24th.

I guess that my best chance is to still stick with the Best Buy preorder, since the Apple site has pushed the shipping date back to July 14 now.

christall109
Jun 16, 2010, 04:02 PM
Not anymore.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=939562

nvjusme
Jun 16, 2010, 08:53 PM
Best Buy has officially stopped preorders.

tyemoe
Jun 17, 2010, 05:51 PM
I talked to my BB and they said they had no idea about how many iPhones they would get. They had heard the 45 phones rumor as well, but has anyone heard for sure how many there will be at Best Buy on launch day?

bmbastien
Jun 21, 2010, 10:40 AM
I dont know what is going on...but i preordered my Iphone4 on the 15th and received a confirmation email and so on and so forth saying it would be delivered on the 24th. They charged my credit card for the phone and now today I noticed the hold they put on my credit card is gone. Also, when I log on to see the status of the phone....it says BACKORDERED!!!. How can this be, I received the email confirming, I logged on pretty early in the morning to reserve it, and they charged my credit card but then took it back????? I called ATT and they said I should receive it on the 24th as planned, but I have other friends who ordered the phone AFTER I did who already have confirmation emails saying it has been sent. WTF is going on here lol.

severe
Jun 21, 2010, 11:15 AM
I dont know what is going on...

Wrong thread.

nachotaco
Jun 21, 2010, 12:27 PM
LOL at two posts above...I guess it could happen to me too thoguh:rolleyes:

Can whoever the first person to get a call from best buy to schedule an appointment post it on here....

I want to know when the first best buy gets their phones in so that I can guess as to when mine will call me.

beforeyougo
Jun 21, 2010, 12:40 PM
I called my local best buy today to find out what they new about preorders...and the girl knew absolutely nothing! I am #9 or 10 on the list, so I'm hoping that's good enough. The process went the same for me as everyone else, my best buy is going to call to schedule a time to pick the phone up. The guy at my store said he thought they would open up a couple of hours early. I'm wondering if they are going to let each individual store make that decision??

severe
Jun 21, 2010, 07:52 PM
Can whoever the first person to get a call from best buy to schedule an appointment post it on here....

Will do.

The guy at my store said he thought they would open up a couple of hours early. I'm wondering if they are going to let each individual store make that decision??

I read somewhere (probably this thread) that, yes, it's up to each location.

Missveronica
Jun 22, 2010, 11:02 AM
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Mobile-Phones-Mobile-Broadband/UPDATED-6-22-iPhone-4-Pre-order-FAQ/td-p/117476

Just read that they will NOT be receiving the white phone after all, which is what we all suspected!

ddukk
Jun 22, 2010, 04:45 PM
I just heard from a friend who works at BB that they only received 20. 10 of each.. But that doesn't apply to everywhere I hope..

nachotaco
Jun 23, 2010, 11:42 AM
Best Buy called me and I am coming in at 8:30am tomorrow to pick my phones up! :)

ausdoss
Jun 23, 2010, 12:05 PM
I just got off the phone with the 75 and Park Lane store in Dallas and set up my appointment for 7am tomorrow morning. I was #22 and ordered a 32GB black iPhone. The manager told me they got about half of what they ordered and confirmed that they received 60 16GB black iPhones. She was in a hurry and I didn't get a chance to ask her if she got any white or how many 32GB black she got in. She also told me that they will only be selling iPhones to those who preordered. She wasn't sure of the exact number but believed that around 130 people had preordered at her location.

lamar0607
Jun 23, 2010, 12:35 PM
My best buy in toledo, oh said they would call me today. I got anxious and called them and they said they won't be getting a shipment at all today and not until tomorrow morning. They refused to set up an appointment with me saying they can't as they don't know how many iPhones they are getting. Cmon it's T-minus 18 hours until they open tomorrow and they still DON'T KNOW?!

I am frustrated. I am numbers 8 and 9 for 16gb black.

macbook yes
Jun 23, 2010, 01:32 PM
My best buy said that they got in their shipment but aren't allowed to open it yet. I don't understand why they can't just read the form that says how many were delivered, but...

pcbyday
Jun 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
My Best Buy (Kansas City, MO) got 5 phones in. I'm number #1 & #5 on the list, both 32gb black.

severe
Jun 23, 2010, 06:28 PM
Interesting turn of events for me. My preorder story is here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10157521&highlight=#post10157521

So I called BB this afternoon after not hearing from them, to confirm my appointment. A salesperson claimed all confirmation calls had already been made.

Now, there is a chance that I missed the call. I'm on a loaner phone from a friend at the moment, on account of having sold my previous iPhone to help with the cost of the new. At any rate, I was told someone would get back to me. Coincidentally, while I was on the phone, I received a text message from my GF asking whether I had received my confirmation call. She had last night.

So a little over an hour ago, BB calls back and claims I'm on the list for the second shipment. I asked the sales rep how that is possible when I was the first guy to arrive last week, as far as I could tell. I had arrived with my GF just after opening and she had her appointment confirmed last night. There were no other preorderees at the store at that time and it certainly seemed like we were the first on the list. It doesn't make much sense.

The rep seemed confused, shuffled some papers around for awhile, and finally asked me to hold. She returned to tell me her boss would soon be getting back to me to explain what may have happened, or some nonsense like that.

It's been 2 hours. I'm calling back again, soon.

UPDATE: Called back and explained the issue to yet another rep. After being put on hold half a dozen times, she returns and tells me, "No worries, you'll get your phone." Then she tried to tell me they were all backed up with appointments and tried to make one for me sometime after 1PM. Three hours after the GF travels there to receive hers. :confused:

So I went from calling them to confirm my 10AM appointment, to them not having a phone for me at all, to them now having a phone for me but with a pick-up time sometime in the afternoon. WTH? After even more discussion and waiting, she spoke with her manager and he finally agreed that, "Yes, the first person in line should be eligible to receive the phone first." His words.

That was easy. :rolleyes:

Mac Attack 360
Jun 23, 2010, 11:31 PM
I pre ordered mine on the 15th at Best Buy around 6. The man there said I was guaranteed an iPhone on launch date and that they would call me a day or 2 before the launch date to schedule an appointment. I get no phone calls on the 22nd and none so far on the 23rd. So I go to my local Best Buy to check out what's goin on. I see the same guy and he is on the phone with an upset customer and I knew what I was in for when I saw that. After taking a break from the call to help me out he explains that he remembers me and that I pre-ordered. But he says they got a lot less phones than they expected. He told me about 80. And then he told me they only got 30 in stock. Also, he would not speculate when they would get their next shipment. If I didn't get on the list, then I feel sorry for the people who pre ordered a few days after me. He said I was #80 or something for just June 15th.

After reading all these stories, I think somethings up at some of these stores. I've read that people have been moved around on the list, not being called, ect. I think some employees could have put friends and family or even took bribes to be put on higher parts of the list. Either way, this Best Buy situation is ridiculous. Apple probably set up lower stock for just this time so people buy from them next time.

lamar0607
Jun 24, 2010, 08:28 AM
I just heard from USA TODAY that best buy store are getting 0-5 units. Obviously it depends on where you are--and this is probably bad journalism as it's not accurate, but take it as you will.

My fiancé and I are numbers 8 and 9 at best buy. Still no call from them. We are going in at 10am (when they open) to wait and see what's going on.

jstarr2679
Jun 24, 2010, 12:06 PM
Store in Erie,pa only had enough for pre-orders not sure how many they got, and they are no sure when more will be avaliable.

lamar0607
Jun 24, 2010, 12:41 PM
Just got my iPhone from Best buy. I was #8 and #9 for the fiance. I was told they got a 1st shipment in, but it only had 5 iPhones, and that was on June 22nd. They did not distribute them. They then told me (after calling them earlier today at 10:30am) that they got a 2nd shipment which had 10 more iPhones. So a total of 15 iPhones are available on launch day. Pretty poor.

I was the first person to get the iPhones for the day, as the other 13 iPhone people were still in the process of being called to make appointments, and most were working that day. While in the mobile department, I saw the phones in the locked cupboard awaiting their masters.

fordhamram20
Jun 24, 2010, 12:56 PM
Same here w/BestBuy...I was called on the 22nd and told the store would only have 5 phones then my girlfriend goes in today and they have 20 phones....so even though I cancelled my preorder and returned the $50 gift card I still had the pre-order form and they asked no questions so I gave no answer. Walked out swiftly w/my new iPhone!

nachotaco
Jun 24, 2010, 02:47 PM
I picked my two up today. Was #12 and #13.

They told me they got 10 16GB and 6 32GB phones int. I had one of each claimed :D

ausdoss
Jun 24, 2010, 05:23 PM
I pre ordered mine on the 15th at Best Buy around 6. The man there said I was guaranteed an iPhone on launch date and that they would call me a day or 2 before the launch date to schedule an appointment. I get no phone calls on the 22nd and none so far on the 23rd. So I go to my local Best Buy to check out what's goin on. I see the same guy and he is on the phone with an upset customer and I knew what I was in for when I saw that. After taking a break from the call to help me out he explains that he remembers me and that I pre-ordered. But he says they got a lot less phones than they expected. He told me about 80. And then he told me they only got 30 in stock. Also, he would not speculate when they would get their next shipment. If I didn't get on the list, then I feel sorry for the people who pre ordered a few days after me. He said I was #80 or something for just June 15th.

After reading all these stories, I think somethings up at some of these stores. I've read that people have been moved around on the list, not being called, ect. I think some employees could have put friends and family or even took bribes to be put on higher parts of the list. Either way, this Best Buy situation is ridiculous. Apple probably set up lower stock for just this time so people buy from them next time.

I guess the usual "pictures or you're lying statement" isn't applicable here... But on side note, today's word of the day is:

libel
Pronunciation: \ˈlī-bəl\
Function: noun
(1) : a statement or representation published without just cause and tending to expose another to public contempt (2) : defamation of a person by written or representational means (3) : the publication of blasphemous, treasonable, seditious, or obscene writings or pictures

severe
Jun 24, 2010, 08:50 PM
ˆhuh? :confused:

Anyhoo... all went very smooth today, despite the earlier issues. Got to the store just before opening (10AM) and was out the door in 20 minutes.

For those keeping count, the employee helping me did tell another customer that their store only received 20 phones. This was in Long Beach, CA.

Sorry to hear that some of us have to wait 'til the next shipment. The stories here can lead one to believe something diabolical, or irresponsible at least, could have been going on in some places. :(

BTW... half of the dozen or so people waiting outside with me, prior to opening, were there to see if there were any iPhones available for those who hadn't preordered. They were quickly turned away once inside.

Mac Attack 360
Jun 24, 2010, 11:28 PM
I guess the usual "pictures or you're lying statement" isn't applicable here... But on side note, today's word of the day is:

libel
Pronunciation: \ˈlī-bəl\
Function: noun
(1) : a statement or representation published without just cause and tending to expose another to public contempt (2) : defamation of a person by written or representational means (3) : the publication of blasphemous, treasonable, seditious, or obscene writings or pictures

It's just speculation.

o·ver·re·act (vr-r-kt)
intr.v. o·ver·re·act·ed, o·ver·re·act·ing, o·ver·re·acts
To react with unnecessary or inappropriate force, emotional display, or violence. :D

anytime2u
Jun 25, 2010, 10:58 AM
I read today news in Yahoo - finally we got it - new iPhone 4!!!:)
Who is planning to buy it?:confused:
Any relevant differences between 3 and 4?
Share with me your ideas