PDA

View Full Version : So many cases, and no one has got it right...

applesupergeek
Jun 11, 2010, 08:26 PM
(disclaimer: imho of course, and as far as I know)

It's pretty simple for me what I want, and I 've still not found it.

Here it is: When I use my ipad I don't want a damn flap folding back, adding bulk, weight and unnecessary complexity in holding the ipad.

Therefore: The flap has to be detachable, it has to be there to protect the ipad in your bag, in your suitcase. But it shouldn't be there when using it, it won't protect the ipad in daily usage at home, it's just the back that's the problem, I don't plan on dropping the ipad on it's screen face down on a desk, I am keeping it on it's back, so no need for the flap.

It has to be light and thin. The ipad is heavy and bulky as is, thank you very much, make the case as thin and light as possible. I can see a need for bulkier more ornamented cases for particular segment of the population, it's just not what I am after.

Put a decent prop up/stand mechanism for it that can either be detached or disappear within the case. Everyone keeps proping it up on cups, cigarette packs, other books, and anything they can find on their desk to read it, you can't read it horizontal on the table. So cases that don't prop the ipad up are close to worthless, but it doesn't mean that in order for the ipad to be propped up you have to suffer though a bulky flap. So make the stand mechanism either detachable or disappearing within the case. An idea could be (one of the ideas I have) a small slit at the back of the case that zips up when not in use (or sticks with friction) that you open up when you need to and draw out a foldable hard attachment (just a vertical hard strip) that will make the ipad stand. Simple.

Some of these elements I have found, but none in one case.

To sum up, thin and light (ideally it should take the contours of the ipad), with no permanent flap to complicate things but a detachable flap, or "face" or screen enclosure you can just put the ipad in when you travel (and this can enclose the back case as well, going around the edge, it could be leather, aluminum etc.) , and either a detachable or permanent unobtrusive mechanism to prop it up for typing/reading mostly.

Now as far as I 've looked, and I 've looked at many, I can't seem to find a designer that has veered away from the mould of the many cases out there, to implement these common sense features. :(

But here it is designers, I 've given you what you need, and I won't be able to have some factory make it in china for me and sell it for $$$ en masse, so here you go, you can make it.

Star56
Jun 11, 2010, 09:16 PM
I understand that we all experience the world differently.

But I have to say that describing the ipad as "heavy and bulky" is beyond my ability to comprehend. Are you joking? Heavy and bulky? The ipad? Huh?

What in the world are you talking about? Heavy and bulky?

antiprotest
Jun 11, 2010, 09:22 PM
Return your iPad.

peapody
Jun 11, 2010, 09:32 PM
Just as there are different people in the world...there will be different things out there that will make them happy.

applesupergeek
Jun 11, 2010, 10:10 PM
If anyone wants to discuss (like peabody did) the actual points I made or suggest a case be my guest, but please let's keep this thread useful, and free of garbage posting. I am aware a lot of people looking to sell their cases frequent these forums, and they won't like suggestions that would render their stock irrelevant, with newer cases superseding them. I wasn't initially aware of this, but it's very obvious by the garbage inflammatory posting so far that some people here would rather have a see our review or our fantastic cases type of posts, rather than one that offers some criticism of the limited and half baked available options so far. ;)

@peabody
For sure, that's why I said that I can see other people find some of the available cases useful. I don't because like you said I have different needs.

I understand that we all experience the world differently.

But I have to say that describing the ipad as "heavy and bulky" is beyond my ability to comprehend. Are you joking? Heavy and bulky? The ipad? Huh?

What in the world are you talking about? Heavy and bulky?

Get over yourself and try to stick to discussing the points I made, if it doesn't interest you what I am talking about then don't comment, but don't stick on a phrase from a 6-7 paragraph post and try to start a food fight over it. It effs up the whole point of the thread. I made my points with a big bloody disclaimer and imho, and you are stating your erroneous comment as if it's universally true.

Yes the ipad is heavy and bulky compared to what it's going to be in a couple of years, and compared to an average hardback of the same size, that's why people prop it up on a desk, or use it on their lap, or against the bed or pillow, but it's very seldom you 'll see someone holding it by its edge with one hand - and a man for that matter, never a woman. That's not just my impression, it's documented usage. Maybe it's incomprehensible to you, but that's just how it is.

But in any case that's not the point I was making. My point was that it's not featherweight or super thin to add to it the extra weight of a bulky case on top of that.

And my whole post is not about the weight of the ipad but the case options for it, and here I am side tracked trying to get some add kid to learn to read.

Return your iPad.

Who the f. are you to command anyone what to do with their ipad? Go play somewhere else.

antiprotest
Jun 11, 2010, 10:15 PM
Who the f. are you to command anyone what to do with their ipad? Go play somewhere else.

Return your iPad cases.

applesupergeek
Jun 11, 2010, 10:23 PM
Return your iPad cases.
yeah, cool, whatever...:rolleyes: , thanks for adding to the discussion, your input is much appreciated.

batman75
Jun 11, 2010, 10:25 PM
The dream case you would like sounds pretty bad to me. I think we all have different requirements.

However I also haven't found a case that meets what I am looking for. I would like a case just like the Apple case, but which is more stable in the vertical position, has a magnetic close and is made from premium leather. The Yoobao is closest but is too cheap in use of materials, has a thick bezel on the inside, and doesn't fully cover the edges.

vynn
Jun 11, 2010, 10:47 PM
I haven't seen a case that does what you described in one product but have you considered the Vaja with the removable front cover and a portable stand like the Skadoosh?

applesupergeek
Jun 11, 2010, 11:00 PM
I 'd like to know what you don't like about my ideal case that makes you feel it's a pretty bad idea. Requirements aside, a simple, light (possibly leather) case, that is slim and easy to handle, with a unobtrusive (possibly hidden) propping up mechanism for typing or reading (and an optional flap or cover attaching to it - magnetically maybe like you said - when you want to slip it in a bag with pens, keys etc. that could damage the display) is hard to understand why someone would consider it a bad option.

At least we agree that the available options are limited.

With the available options I don't see why I either have to go with a simple sleeve case with no provision for propping up and no provision for a screen protection cover to attach to it (so pretty much useless bulk merely to not scratch the back) or go for the full monty adding an extra flap I will have to hold with the ipad every time I use it, and an overkill of propping up, plus buttons, straps, rubber bands and all that jazz to keep it together.

applesupergeek
Jun 11, 2010, 11:05 PM
@vynn
Hey thanks for the suggestions, and the heads up, I am googling these at the moment. Something is better than nothing I guess since I am in the market for a case. :)

peapody
Jun 11, 2010, 11:11 PM
With the available options I don't see why I either have to go with a simple sleeve case with no provision for propping up and no provision for a screen protection cover to attach to it (so pretty much useless bulk merely to not scratch the back) or go for the full monty adding an extra flap I will have to hold with the ipad every time I use it, and an overkill of propping up, plus buttons, straps, rubber bands and all that jazz to keep it together.

I dunno..it seems like the sleeve, back cover and a small stand should meet all your requirements.

SchneiderMan
Jun 12, 2010, 02:34 AM
In my opinion, finding the right case that you will love and use everyday, isn't hard. It's definitely possible.
From all the cases I have gotten to review, I found a few keepers that I myself love.

Chatelaine
Jun 12, 2010, 09:56 AM
OP, does this match your needs? http://www.hardcandycases.com/kickstand-ipad-case.html

Release date June 20 though, I'm waiting to see what it's like too. Wonder if the little fold-out legs will be stable...

normwood
Jun 12, 2010, 10:28 AM
OP, does this match your needs? http://www.hardcandycases.com/kickstand-ipad-case.html

Release date June 20 though, I'm waiting to see what it's like too. Wonder if the little fold-out legs will be stable...

Thanks for posting the link. This actually looks pretty cool. The "kickstands" seem a little gimicky....but I like the two piece design with a screen cover. I signed up to get updates.

Steve

NT1440
Jun 12, 2010, 10:34 AM
Why would anyone want to keep track of two components to a case? That just sounds like a terrible idea.

Arran
Jun 12, 2010, 10:51 AM
Why would anyone want to keep track of two components to a case? That just sounds like a terrible idea.

Agreed. Something else to misplace. I can imagine trying to get out of the house in a hurry and being unable to find the damn cover. And at $60 a pop, losing it irretrievably will sting.

The Apple case is the best compromise I've found so far.

spinedoc77
Jun 12, 2010, 11:52 AM
You can't get much thinner than the Apple case. Even though a lot don't like it, I absolutely love it because it's so thin. As for having a detachable flap to make less bulk, I think you would actually add bulk doing this as however you attached it (velcro, snaps, etc.) would create more bulk than just folding it back. Whenever I fold it back I don't even notice it, if I fold it back in stand mode it's actually easier to hold, or lean on my lap.

raymond lin
Jun 12, 2010, 12:30 PM
"The iPad is heavy and bulky compare to what it is going to be in a couple of years"

Read that again? Are you serious?

Why not say the iPad is crap in all department compare to iPad v9 in a decade's time? Of course it is, but then why are you comparing to things that doesn't exist yet?

Its one thing to say the ipad is heavier and more bulky to all the competition out there, but you are comparing to non existing tablets!

raymond lin
Jun 12, 2010, 12:33 PM
Oh, the apple case flap is 2mm thick, that bugs you that much?

If you don't like how it is on your left hand when you hold it then turn it 180 degrees.

applesupergeek
Jun 12, 2010, 06:22 PM

YES, it does! Eventually some people with sense have come up with something that comes close to what I imagined. Thanks for the heads up. Would have preferred fabric to polycarbonate, but I can't complain when all the other cases get it so wrong.

What do you mean by keeping track? Let me ask you something, don't you have lids on your pots at home? Don't you have lids on the thermos you put your coffee in when you travel? Do you have to "keep track of them"? Do you tag them with rfids and track them or do you just chain them to your wrist so they don't go astray? I mean it's simple, you just have your ipad in your case and when you need to travel or put it in a bag that might contain items to damage the screen you just stick the screen protector on it.

Agreed. Something else to misplace. I can imagine trying to get out of the house in a hurry and being unable to find the damn cover. And at $60 a pop, losing it irretrievably will sting.

The Apple case is the best compromise I've found so far.

I might eventually give the apple case a go. That said, I can't see who everyone has all of a sudden become so forgetful, if you are in a hurry you might not find the damn cover, but then again you might not find the damn separate sleeve for it, you might not find your macbook case (which it too is separate) or your keys...how come the cover has all of a sudden become the hardest to find of all such items and the easiest to lose?

You can't get much thinner than the Apple case. Even though a lot don't like it, I absolutely love it because it's so thin. As for having a detachable flap to make less bulk, I think you would actually add bulk doing this as however you attached it (velcro, snaps, etc.) would create more bulk than just folding it back. Whenever I fold it back I don't even notice it, if I fold it back in stand mode it's actually easier to hold, or lean on my lap.
Maybe, I 've not tried it, so I can't speak from experience, but thanks for the heads up. I am sure apple designers put a lot of thought to it so it makes sense that you find it comfortable to use. My beef wasn't with the apple case primarily but the multitude of case that weren't doing anything particularly well, being bulky, or not mere iphone like back covers, etc. etc. Maybe when I get to use an apple case the flap might be a non issue

"The iPad is heavy and bulky compare to what it is going to be in a couple of years"
Read that again? Are you serious?
Why not say the iPad is crap in all department compare to iPad v9 in a decade's time? Of course it is, but then why are you comparing to things that doesn't exist yet?
Its one thing to say the ipad is heavier and more bulky to all the competition out there, but you are comparing to non existing tablets!

Oh, the apple case flap is 2mm thick, that bugs you that much?
If you don't like how it is on your left hand when you hold it then turn it 180 degrees.
Like I said, I have not used the apple case, so it might not "bug" that much in the end, but I 've used plenty of ereaders with similar flaps and I find them a useless nuisance, their only purpose it to protect the screen when the device is in a bag, for all other purposes inside and out, it's a nuisance.

The ipad is a revolutionary device, I love it, and I was one of the few here, and elsewhere, over the past few years that saw the vision and the potential behind it. But it still has an evolutionary way to go, especially in terms of shedding off weight and being thinner (just like the iphone evolved). I am not comparing it to its future incarnation nor to the (pretty much non existent) competition. I am just saying that in terms of what it can be it's yet to reach its potential and that's a fair point. There are mature technologies that have reached a plateau, the ipad isn't, especially so in the weight and thinness factors. I don't think its current version is that heavy or bulky for a guy to use, but it's certainly not thin and light, and thus the cases have to take that into account. Plus you seem to have missed all my points in terms of it's usage wrt it's weight

raymond lin
Jun 12, 2010, 06:32 PM
The iPad is not thick though.

Look at it, then look at how thick a laptop screen and compare, and then think what is also in that few mm of space. A CPU, RAM, Motherboard, GPX chip, sound chip, a massive battery too i bet. Yet it is all inside.

I am just saying that in terms of what it can be it's yet to reach its potential and that's a fair point.

No kidding....its a FIRST Generation product ! :rolleyes: and you are comparing to future iPads.

Yes the ipad is heavy and bulky compared to what it's going to be in a couple of years

I suggest you try to Apple Case, it is functional. Thats the best way i can put it.

applesupergeek
Jun 12, 2010, 06:37 PM

Thanks again for the heads up. the more I look at it the more I like it, pretty clever too to have the "legs" come out from the sides. I also like how I can see it taking the contours of the ipad (as I wished it would) instead of boxing the useful contours that help you pick it up and hold it, and how it leave the black frame uncovered so you can hold it more easily instead of pretty much covering it up like most cases and leaving almost only the screen visible. And the cover seems to fit tightly. Like the second wave of the ipad apps, this second wave of cases such as this one, makes much more sense.

raymond lin
Jun 12, 2010, 06:46 PM
The problem for me with a detachable case front is what the hell do you do with it when you take it off? It is fine if you are at home, or even get to the office but i use my iPad EVERYWHERE.

For example, just today i have used it in the following situations.

Walking to my piano lession, MSN on the go. (do I tuck the cover under my arm when i walk?)
At Piano lesson showing my teacher a piano program (I suppose I could put the flap on the piano)
In Starbucks (on the table next to my coffee i suppose), since i was typing on my lap.

That's just today, i commute to work and sitting on the train with no free table space a lot of the time, it means i have to put that cover somewhere. Unless the cover can go back onto itself. I found lately the best way is just lean it against something. or put something under it as a stand. There is always something around, my phone, my wallet, my keys. no case is perfect, improvise is cheaper :p

applesupergeek
Jun 12, 2010, 07:18 PM
The problem for me with a detachable case front is what the hell do you do with it when you take it off? It is fine if you are at home, or even get to the office but i use my iPad EVERYWHERE.

For example, just today i have used it in the following situations.

Walking to my piano lession, MSN on the go. (do I tuck the cover under my arm when i walk?)
At Piano lesson showing my teacher a piano program (I suppose I could put the flap on the piano)
In Starbucks (on the table next to my coffee i suppose), since i was typing on my lap.

That's just today, i commute to work and sitting on the train with no free table space a lot of the time, it means i have to put that cover somewhere. Unless the cover can go back onto itself. I found lately the best way is just lean it against something. or put something under it as a stand. There is always something around, my phone, my wallet, my keys. no case is perfect, improvise is cheaper :p

If that's your typical usage then a detachable flap is not a good option for sure.

yvrgal
Jun 12, 2010, 09:42 PM
Dodocase

Chatelaine
Jun 12, 2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks again for the heads up. the more I look at it the more I like it, pretty clever too to have the "legs" come out from the sides. I also like how I can see it taking the contours of the ipad (as I wished it would) instead of boxing the useful contours that help you pick it up and hold it, and how it leave the black frame uncovered so you can hold it more easily instead of pretty much covering it up like most cases and leaving almost only the screen visible. And the cover seems to fit tightly. Like the second wave of the ipad apps, this second wave of cases such as this one, makes much more sense.

Applesupergeek, happy to help :) Hope it works out for you!

As to where to put detachable covers, I'm hoping the front cover of this case fits on the back while you're using the iPad, the way the Vaja does...

NT1440
Jun 12, 2010, 11:43 PM
Why is the OP so hostile to opinions?

Yes, keeping track of things that detach is a pain in my ass. Especially for the things you mentioned.

Arran
Jun 13, 2010, 12:04 AM
...Like I said, I have not used the apple case, so it might not "bug" that much in the end, but I 've used plenty of ereaders with similar flaps and I find them a useless nuisance...

I don't see how the flap on the Apple case is any more cumbersome than the front cover of any hardback book. It anything it's less bothersome, because you can fold it back out of the way. Try that with a hardback :)

Still, you're entitled to your preferences, so how about this detachable cover case? http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0331524

It appears to be designed such that the cover clips onto the back - which prevents it going astray. Nice. Not sure if they make any other colours, though :)

awmazz
Jun 13, 2010, 12:34 AM

No wonder I haven't received my order from ten days ago. The online retailer made no mention of it not being released until June 20 (or I didn't see it mentioned).

I ordered the silver version. I'll let you know how sturdy the fold-out legs are when I get it. See if they can actually hold the iPad up in landscape mode for video viewing instead of just at a typing angle like in the promo pics. Also how easy it is to add or detach the cover, and if it may just be an annoying third wheel when not attached. I really like the concept of the case being tapered to fit the dock though.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-12507765640553_2105_7449922

One thing though is it doesn't stand in portrait mode (edit - d'oh, the dock is how it can stand in portrait mode, not very mobile though), so I'm considering the Scosche KickBACK (http://scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/212/sfID3/365/productID/1923) as an alternative option as its pop-out leg lets it stand in both orientations as well as typing angle. Just use a ZAGG shield for front protection against scratches.

http://scosche.com/ecom/images/product/1923.13784.600x400.FINAL_WHITE_WITH_GREY_HORIZONTAL_3.jpg

KameronBriggs
Jun 13, 2010, 04:47 AM
http://www.quirky.com/products/30-Cloak

this may fit your needs.

arcangel6
Jun 13, 2010, 05:47 AM
Great idea but it does not look like those two small plastic kickstands could hold up well over time.

Night Spring
Jun 13, 2010, 07:10 AM
How about:
http://www.modulrcase.com/accessories.php

peapody
Jun 13, 2010, 07:29 AM
Haha everyone here is doing work for the OP.

Sorry for my useless and unconstructive post.

applesupergeek
Jun 13, 2010, 08:27 AM
wow, lot's of options suggested, thanks guys and gals, let me take a few minutes to

Why is the OP so hostile to opinions?

Yes, keeping track of things that detach is a pain in my ass. Especially for the things you mentioned.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black... If detachable components are a pain in the ass for you, it goes without saying that it's fine by me if that's how you feel about it. But it doesn't make it a "terrible idea" as you said, because others don't have any problems with the multitude of detachable parts in appliances and objects that we have in our lives. Case makers it seems also do not consider it a terrible idea.

richpjr
Jun 13, 2010, 05:02 PM
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black... If detachable components are a pain in the ass for you, it goes without saying that it's fine by me if that's how you feel about it. But it doesn't make it a "terrible idea" as you said, because others don't have any problems with the multitude of detachable parts in appliances and objects that we have in our lives. Case makers it seems also do not consider it a terrible idea.

I kind of chuckled at this reply. You keep going on about how so many case makers got it wrong, yet bristle when people don't agree with your vision of the perfect case. Kind of ironic.

dadeef
Jun 13, 2010, 07:53 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/dadeef/photo.jpg

use that, closes the apple case.