PDA

View Full Version : Will iChat Video work on a 400mhz Powerbook?

sjjordan
Oct 18, 2004, 10:41 AM
My best friend has a Pismo 400mhz with 640MB RAM. It's not the slowest computer I've used, but is a few hundred mhz below apples minimum requirements.

Has anyone tried using iChat's video capabilities with anthing this slow? It'll be done with apple's iSight.

Thanks!

Ugg
Oct 18, 2004, 11:00 AM
My best friend has a Pismo 400mhz with 640MB RAM. It's not the slowest computer I've used, but is a few hundred mhz below apples minimum requirements.

Has anyone tried using iChat's video capabilities with anthing this slow? It'll be done with apple's iSight.

Thanks!

Apple says that you need at least 600 mhz for iChat video to work. I tried it with my iMac G3 400 mhz and a little window announced that my hardware wasn't sufficient for iChat video to work. I didn't try it with an iSight though, just my miniDV cam but I'm sure you'll get the same message.

TLRedhawke
Oct 18, 2004, 11:07 AM
While I'm sure it WOULD run sufficiently well, Apple tends to be quite nitpicky about minimum requirements. As such, it will prevent you from running it, unless you can find a hack.

AdamR01
Oct 18, 2004, 11:13 AM
While I'm sure it WOULD run sufficiently well, Apple tends to be quite nitpicky about minimum requirements. As such, it will prevent you from running it, unless you can find a hack.

They didnt seem to be too nitpicky about GarageBand. It runs like crap on my 800MHz G3, I dont even know how it could possibly be useable on a 600MHz G3.