PDA

View Full Version : Access Time Capsule Disk From Windows over Internet

DownbeatDave
Jun 14, 2010, 01:33 PM
How can I set up my Time Capsule so that a Windows user on the WAN side can access a shared disk over the internet?

The TC is set up as the router/firewall, and the cable modem is bridged. I'm using DynDNS for domain name mapping. I can access the TC disk from an outside mac, but not windows.

Alrescha
Jun 14, 2010, 01:57 PM
I think you will find that most residential internet providers filter Microsoft file sharing protocols.

A.

DownbeatDave
Jun 14, 2010, 02:01 PM
I think you will find that most residential internet providers filter Microsoft file sharing protocols.

A.

That's OK. SMB, FTP, Web access is great if it works. Even Bonjour from Windows.

Alrescha
Jun 14, 2010, 03:41 PM
I'm sorry, I was too brief.

The Airport Express / Time Capsule supports Apple file sharing (AFP) and Windows file sharing (SMB). Bonjour isn't a file sharing protocol per se, it's an announcement protocol.

Since Windows doesn't use AFP (at least not without some third-party product), and Windows file sharing is <probably> blocked by your ISP, "You can't get there from here".

A.

belvdr
Jun 14, 2010, 05:43 PM
To add to that, Bonjour usually does not work across subnets. In other words, it will not work across the Internet, unless you are using special DNS servers.