Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DownbeatDave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2006
How can I set up my Time Capsule so that a Windows user on the WAN side can access a shared disk over the internet?

The TC is set up as the router/firewall, and the cable modem is bridged. I'm using DynDNS for domain name mapping. I can access the TC disk from an outside mac, but not windows.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I think you will find that most residential internet providers filter Microsoft file sharing protocols.

A.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I'm sorry, I was too brief.

The Airport Express / Time Capsule supports Apple file sharing (AFP) and Windows file sharing (SMB). Bonjour isn't a file sharing protocol per se, it's an announcement protocol.

Since Windows doesn't use AFP (at least not without some third-party product), and Windows file sharing is <probably> blocked by your ISP, "You can't get there from here".

A.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
To add to that, Bonjour usually does not work across subnets. In other words, it will not work across the Internet, unless you are using special DNS servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.