1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Access Time Capsule Disk From Windows over Internet

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by DownbeatDave, Jun 14, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

How can I set up my Time Capsule so that a Windows user on the WAN side can access a shared disk over the internet?

The TC is set up as the router/firewall, and the cable modem is bridged. I'm using DynDNS for domain name mapping. I can access the TC disk from an outside mac, but not windows.

2. macrumors 65816

I think you will find that most residential internet providers filter Microsoft file sharing protocols.

A.

3. macrumors newbie

That's OK. SMB, FTP, Web access is great if it works. Even Bonjour from Windows.

4. macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, I was too brief.

The Airport Express / Time Capsule supports Apple file sharing (AFP) and Windows file sharing (SMB). Bonjour isn't a file sharing protocol per se, it's an announcement protocol.

Since Windows doesn't use AFP (at least not without some third-party product), and Windows file sharing is <probably> blocked by your ISP, "You can't get there from here".

A.

5. macrumors 601

To add to that, Bonjour usually does not work across subnets. In other words, it will not work across the Internet, unless you are using special DNS servers.