PDA

View Full Version : Political statements in signatures...

Diatribe
Oct 20, 2004, 02:51 AM
Lately it has started bugging me that every second poster(exaggeration) has a political statement in their sig.
I feel like I am in kindergarden with all those "I like this guy", "I don't like this guy" sigs.
Can't we keep those to the political forums where those who want to know the political views of the members can and those who do not won't be bothered?
All it does for me now, is annoy me and think bad of all the people who feel like they have to post something like that in their sig.
Maybe I am alone on this one, but I think we don't need the political forum to spread especially not in that childish, polemic way those people are doing it right now.

edesignuk
Oct 20, 2004, 02:57 AM
It kinda bugs me, and I'd rather they weren't there, but as long as they're not huge and in your face, then it's not too bad.

LeeTom
Oct 20, 2004, 03:14 AM
It wouldn't be much of a forum if we couldn't express how we feel. If you get annoyed by a few lines on a website, I suggest not looking into public forums on the Internet. Furthermore, what annoys you is going to have a huge impact on the future of this planet, and I think it deserves a little understanding, if not apathetic acceptance.

Lee Tom

Diatribe
Oct 20, 2004, 03:26 AM
It wouldn't be much of a forum if we couldn't express how we feel. If you get annoyed by a few lines on a website, I suggest not looking into public forums on the Internet. Furthermore, what annoys you is going to have a huge impact on the future of this planet, and I think it deserves a little understanding, if not apathetic acceptance.

Lee Tom

First of all, why is there a seperation into a political forum then?
Secondly it is MacRumors... where's the political statement in that?
Also it is not the election that annoys me, it is, as I stated, the sigs themselves and their polemic nature that annoy me. And even though the election will have an impact on world politics, I wouldn't dare do go as far and say that it "is going to have a huge impact on the future of this planet".
America is not all that important as some Americans might think sometimes.

SilentPanda
Oct 20, 2004, 06:09 AM
Give it till Nov. 2nd then they'll probably all disappear...

Hoef
Oct 20, 2004, 06:15 AM
I vote for Steve Jobs

MacDawg
Oct 20, 2004, 07:18 AM
What constitutes an acceptable signature then?

It seems to me that the signature is a personal expression of most any kind. There for a while there were some quite large and obnoxious ones, but I haven't noticed those in a quite a while now. Other than that, what makes a political expression that much different than promoting folding, a web site, or some other opinion. I hardly ever notice them anyway. Although I have definite political views, I don't really find them that obtrusive... but that's just my 2 cents worth!

Lancetx
Oct 20, 2004, 10:03 AM
I too think they're quite silly. I come here to get Apple/Mac news and to discuss issues related to that. Honestly, I couldn't care less who anybody on the boards supports for President. To get around most of it, I've just gone into my user settings and disabled member's signatures from showing up. Not only does it eliminate most of the political statements, but it makes the threads easier to read too without all the additional clutter. Of course, there are still a few instances where people post off-topic and throw an political opinion into a discussion where it doesn't belong, but I just skip over those posts once I see where they're headed. And as was mentioned before, hopefully most of them will disappear here after the next couple of weeks anyway.

paulypants
Oct 20, 2004, 10:08 AM
I find it kind of laughable -- LOOK WHO I'M VOTING
FOR EVERYBODY! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!

-just like those moronic cardboard signs people put
on their lawns to show their support for 1 of 2 people
who have never met them...

-just keep in mind they only reason they do it is for
attention from others and for the future recognition
when and if their 'choice' is elected that the backed
the right guy...

wordmunger
Oct 20, 2004, 10:23 AM
I think that's exactly what sigs are for -- expressing who you are. Sure, you may disagree with someone, but it's not like they're your roommate or something. Personally I could do without some of the more childish sigs (and avatars), but I can certainly learn to live with them.

I guess my sig could be one of the ones you're talking about, since I put my latest blog topic in my sig. If it bugs you, pm me and let me know about it. Or heck, just post it in this thread. I'm open to change -- plus, it's not like I get thousands of hits from MR anyway....

iBook
Oct 20, 2004, 10:44 AM
I speak for the trees!

rueyeet
Oct 20, 2004, 02:17 PM
And even though the election will have an impact on world politics, I wouldn't dare do go as far and say that it "is going to have a huge impact on the future of this planet".
America is not all that important as some Americans might think sometimes.And I suppose you'd say that the war in Iraq didn't "have a huge impact" on the world? Do you think it would have happened under a President Gore? Whether you agree with the war or not, you have to admit it's had a pretty big impact, and that it will continue to influence the Mideast conflicts for years to come.

America often does make the mistake of assuming it's the most important country in the world. But, for better or for worse, America does have a sizable impact on politics and economics. And since the health of the American democracy depends on a caring and informed public, I'd rather see people getting involved than not....even when the sigs annoy me (as they often do when I disagree with them :) ).

Or, as the quote says, I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jtgotsjets
Oct 20, 2004, 02:34 PM
-just keep in mind they only reason they do it is for
attention from others and for the future recognition
when and if their 'choice' is elected that the backed
the right guy...

or, you know, it might just be (this is only a suggestion, so bear with me), that people with political yard signs actually feel strongly about the issues our nation faces and feel like any impact they can make is still an impact.

it is possible that people can feel the need to exercise free speech for reasons other than hearing their own voice, you know...
but i suppose you wouldn't understand that.

rainman::|:|
Oct 20, 2004, 03:43 PM
Yard signs are one thing, and it's your property, and it's great. But this forum isn't your property, it's private... you wouldn't go putting up political signs in your friends' houses, would you? It seems like the distinction of having a political forum is all that needs to be said- keep politics in there. But I should say, the one-line, small ones don't bother me, they're kind of like bumper stickers. It's the colorful, big "vote for ___!" sigs that annoy me (and a few others, it sounds). Perhaps everyone could behave like adults and tone it down, rather than making yet another issue for the mods?

paul

Hemingray
Oct 20, 2004, 04:55 PM
As Lancetx said, just disable signatures in your forum preferences, like I've done. I find all the political signatures annoying as well (tantamount to political bumper stickers).

Although what's far more obnoxious to me is people taking digs at Bush/Kerry/America in topics where it's totally unwarranted.

Jovian9
Oct 20, 2004, 05:09 PM
What constitutes an acceptable signature then?

It seems to me that the signature is a personal expression of most any kind. There for a while there were some quite large and obnoxious ones, but I haven't noticed those in a quite a while now. Other than that, what makes a political expression that much different than promoting folding, a web site, or some other opinion. I hardly ever notice them anyway. Although I have definite political views, I don't really find them that obtrusive... but that's just my 2 cents worth!

I agree.

My sig is political........is it bothering you?

Sun Baked
Oct 20, 2004, 05:16 PM
I agree.

My sig is political........is it bothering you?Yes it does, now that you ask. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11368&stc=1
All those annoying CAPs... Almost as bad as 20+ point red text. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2680&stc=1

:p

Doctor Q
Oct 20, 2004, 05:17 PM
You can report signatures that violate the rules, which are that they not violate any forum rules dealing with content and that they not be inflammatory or too distracting. We generally define "distracting" as having too-large type or too many lines of text. If a signature is taller than, say, half a dozen lines of regular-size text, it will tend to dwarf a typical post and is therefore too tall under the "distracting" rule. There is no rule against political messages or links to your hobby or business web site, as long as the signature meets the other rules.

The moderators often have to make judgment calls, but those are our guidelines. If you find all signatures with color text or comments about the election distracting, we won't be able to help you and you should turn off signature display.

Mudbug
Oct 20, 2004, 06:04 PM
and keep in mind - that hopefully come November 3rd, there'll be no need for the political signatures anymore. At least for a little while.

Hemingray
Oct 20, 2004, 06:08 PM
I agree.

What sig? :p :D

Capt Underpants
Oct 20, 2004, 07:00 PM
Personally I could do without some of the more childish sigs (and avatars), but I can certainly learn to live with them.

Hey! Childish 'tars are cool!

I do think that political signatures are annoying, for both candidates. That's why some of my friends at school removed political signs from people's yards, and made it on the front page of the newspaper. We'll just have to deal with them until November, though. They have a right to be there, if one so pleases. Im sure people find my xbox signature annoying, but oh well. Everyone has pet peeves.

blackfox
Oct 20, 2004, 07:03 PM
Do I offend?

Diatribe, your name is very appropriate.

Edot
Oct 20, 2004, 08:08 PM
Lately it has started bugging me that every second poster(exaggeration) has a political statement in their sig.
I feel like I am in kindergarden with all those "I like this guy", "I don't like this guy" sigs.
Can't we keep those to the political forums where those who want to know the political views of the members can and those who do not won't be bothered?
All it does for me now, is annoy me and think bad of all the people who feel like they have to post something like that in their sig.
Maybe I am alone on this one, but I think we don't need the political forum to spread especially not in that childish, polemic way those people are doing it right now.

I feel like I am in kindergarten with all these "I like this guy's sig", "I don't like this guy's sig", posts.
Shouldn't there be a Sig Appreciation Forum where those who want to know about Sig views of the members can and those who do not won't be bothered?
All it does for me now, is annoy me and think bad of all the people who feel like they have to post something like that in the Site Comments Forum.
Maybe I am alone on this one, but I think we don't need the Sig posts to spread especially not in that childish, polemic way those people are doing it right now.

Wow, this could just keep going round, and round, and round. Free speech can annoy you, but allowing you to say how annoyed you are is priceless. Be glad we can all practice it!

Diatribe
Oct 21, 2004, 02:43 AM
I think that's exactly what sigs are for -- expressing who you are. Sure, you may disagree with someone, but it's not like they're your roommate or something. Personally I could do without some of the more childish sigs (and avatars), but I can certainly learn to live with them.

I guess my sig could be one of the ones you're talking about, since I put my latest blog topic in my sig. If it bugs you, pm me and let me know about it. Or heck, just post it in this thread. I'm open to change -- plus, it's not like I get thousands of hits from MR anyway....

No it does not bother me, nor do most sigs. Most of them I find quite interesting or funny. You just post your latest topic, oh well. BTW, I kinda like your site ;)

And I suppose you'd say that the war in Iraq didn't "have a huge impact" on the world? Do you think it would have happened under a President Gore? Whether you agree with the war or not, you have to admit it's had a pretty big impact, and that it will continue to influence the Mideast conflicts for years to come.

America often does make the mistake of assuming it's the most important country in the world. But, for better or for worse, America does have a sizable impact on politics and economics. And since the health of the American democracy depends on a caring and informed public, I'd rather see people getting involved than not....even when the sigs annoy me (as they often do when I disagree with them :) ).

Or, as the quote says, I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

You are absolutely right, it had and still has a huge impact on the world but I was referring to the exact phrasing of that sentence which implied that the future of the entire planet depended on the US. I am not arguing the importance of a strong American democracy but the last time I checked America didn't have one.

or, you know, it might just be (this is only a suggestion, so bear with me), that people with political yard signs actually feel strongly about the issues our nation faces and feel like any impact they can make is still an impact.

it is possible that people can feel the need to exercise free speech for reasons other than hearing their own voice, you know...

You could have saved that cynical remark for your US History class. If you could discuss that in a neutral way I might even have to say a thing or two about your comment.

Yard signs are one thing, and it's your property, and it's great. But this forum isn't your property, it's private... you wouldn't go putting up political signs in your friends' houses, would you? It seems like the distinction of having a political forum is all that needs to be said- keep politics in there. But I should say, the one-line, small ones don't bother me, they're kind of like bumper stickers. It's the colorful, big "vote for ___!" sigs that annoy me (and a few others, it sounds). Perhaps everyone could behave like adults and tone it down, rather than making yet another issue for the mods?

paul

This was exactly my point. Toning it down would be nice and sufficient.

I agree.

Oh so much :p I am not against those 2 word sigs, what I am against are those colored, huge, different font using sigs.

You can report signatures that violate the rules, which are that they not violate any forum rules dealing with content and that they not be inflammatory or too distracting. We generally define "distracting" as having too-large type or too many lines of text. If a signature is taller than, say, half a dozen lines of regular-size text, it will tend to dwarf a typical post and is therefore too tall under the "distracting" rule. There is no rule against political messages or links to your hobby or business web site, as long as the signature meets the other rules.

The moderators often have to make judgment calls, but those are our guidelines. If you find all signatures with color text or comments about the election distracting, we won't be able to help you and you should turn off signature display.

As I said, I don't mind most of the sigs I just find the political statemnents in conjunction with the use of color, huge size and a different font annoying.
Since I don't feel like reporting all the sigs that annoy me I guess I have to live with them or turn them off.

Everyone has pet peeves.

I guess so.

Do I offend?

Diatribe, your name is very appropriate.

Why would you offend and for what is my name appropriate?

Wow, this could just keep going round, and round, and round. Free speech can annoy you, but allowing you to say how annoyed you are is priceless. Be glad we can all practice it!

Again, free speech does not annoy me but where is there free speech? Where in America is there free speech? Where in here is there free speech when I want to swear? There is no free speech because people don't want to put up with certain things.
Do I think censoring is good? Hell no! I for one would rather have it that each one could express themselves freely (in a behaved manner of course, which does not imply a 20 word post containing 19 swear words :D ) than the way it is right now.
I would also like to hear non censored songs on the radio, etc. But since there is a distinction between behaved and annoying with swear words, there is also one with political sigs.
There is nothing wrong with an unobstrusive 3 word comment on the election.As Paul said above... toning it down would be nice.

Savage Henry
Oct 21, 2004, 03:03 AM
I've nuked the signatures on the UCP so I don't see any, including my own (obviously). I did this a good few months back when they got way too silly, too large and too garish and practically all for US politics.

I've not missed them.

MacDawg
Oct 21, 2004, 08:53 AM
Does anybody else find it funny that the people who disable signatures still have one themselves?? :p

Hemingray
Oct 21, 2004, 10:53 AM
Does anybody else find it funny that the people who disable signatures still have one themselves?? :p

Depends on if theirs is political or not, I suppose. Mine is totally irrelevant to anything! I just like posting crazy quotes most of the time.

I tried one "politically-charged" quote a few weeks back, but it was just talking about excercising your right to vote, not who to vote for.

rueyeet
Oct 21, 2004, 11:36 AM
I think the obnoxiousness level of a political sig depends. A quick "Kerry/Edwards '04" or "Bush/Cheney '04" can only be offensive if you're a die-hard supporter of the opponent ticket and can't stand anyone who doesn't think like you do; or if you're someone who's so thoroughly disgusted or apathetic about the whole thing that you don't even want to see a mention of the entire campaign or your eyes will bleed.

Interestingly, I just went to the political forum, and the most decidedly partisan sig I could find was just such a quickie, one-line endorsement.

Diatribe, do you object to sigs with definite partisan leanings, or just any quote with any political relevance whatsoever? Does it matter if the sig is just "whoever in '04", or does it particularly bother you more when it's a longer and more negative/pointed comment?

And as to not being from the US and thus not wanting to deal with our politics.....well, I'm not from Spain, but I wouldn't bat an eye if you were to put up a sig denouncing/supporting the Basque separatists. If it's important enough to you to want to show it on this forum, I can't see complaining that I shouldn't have to look at anything that doesn't have to do with my own country.

relimw
Oct 21, 2004, 12:19 PM
Secondly it is MacRumors... where's the political statement in that?

Arn for president! :D

And even though the election will have an impact on world politics, I wouldn't dare do go as far and say that it "is going to have a huge impact on the future of this planet".
America is not all that important as some Americans might think sometimes.
I agree, and I sure wish those europeans would quit saying the US election is the end-all, and stop mouthing off about our election. Though I think your statement would better read this way:

America is not all that important as some Europeans might think sometimes.

Hopefully my revised sig will meet with your ok a bit better now that I've found the size tag :)

evoluzione
Oct 21, 2004, 05:55 PM
Arn for president! :D

I agree, and I sure wish those europeans would quit saying the US election is the end-all, and stop mouthing off about our election.

i hope you mean the MacRumors Arn, and not "the governator" ;)

I think most of the world has an eye on the US elections, it is extremely important for people outside of the States, i'm English myself (but in NY) so I can say for a fact that there'll be plenty of people hoping for one or the other over here.

Jovian9
Oct 21, 2004, 07:18 PM
and keep in mind - that hopefully come November 3rd, there'll be no need for the political signatures anymore. At least for a little while.

Very true. I will definitely pull my 'Be a voter' sig after election day.

Apple Hobo
Oct 21, 2004, 08:22 PM
Vote for Nader!*

*OK, not really

Mechcozmo
Oct 21, 2004, 10:13 PM
I try to ignore it. If it is too big, I might take offense, get annoyed, or throw something. It really depends. (I would never throw my PowerBook, BTW!)

And yes my sig is long, but it really is just system stats. If anyone complains, I'll make it smaller. But so far, so good. :)

MrMacMan
Oct 21, 2004, 10:27 PM
Just for this thread I'm putting my own one in now.

:rolleyes:

homerjward
Oct 21, 2004, 11:16 PM
my political statement is a joke among me and my friends involving a write-in candidate who happens to be my orchestra director. but i'm not of voting age yet...

johnnowak
Oct 22, 2004, 01:08 AM
Vote for Nader!*

* Really.

http://votenader.org

hulugu
Oct 22, 2004, 01:29 AM
You are absolutely right, it had and still has a huge impact on the world but I was referring to the exact phrasing of that sentence which implied that the future of the entire planet depended on the US.

Of course the future of the entire planet depends on the US. Haven't you seen Armagedeon?
My god man, who else will stop that asteroid, France?

As for sigs, they're little patterns of speech and should be celebrated for the color they add, just like avatars.
As for lawn signs, I have one up because I want to show support for my particular horse, it's my lawn—not so much a lawn as rock and mesquite trees, but I digress—and so is my sig, which is probably annoying to someone because it's didactic, or long winded, or doesn't include a European statesman, etc.

I think we're all too concerned with what personally offends us, too busy considering how we feel about someone else's ideas. At some point, you're right to fling your arms ends where my nose begins, but that grey area in between exists for both of us. Not just for you Diatribe and your personal feelings about the US election or political sigs, but all of us. You have to try to respect both, and understand that sometimes you will simply be outvoted.
If we kept down every impulse that might offend, quieted every movement so as not to excite, kept the music turned low, and the art in nice subtle greys, we would be a species of mutes, statues, and artless automatons.

From Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad: "There they are, down there every night at eight bells, praying for fair winds—when they know as well as I do that this is the only ship going east this time of the year, but there's a thousand coming west—what's a fair wind for us is a head wind to them—the Almighty's blowing a fair wind for a thousand vessels, and this tribe wants him to turn it clear around so as to accommodate one—and she's a steamership at that! It ain't good sense, it ain't good reason, it ain't good Christianity, it ain't common human charity..."

Diatribe
Oct 22, 2004, 02:18 AM
Diatribe, do you object to sigs with definite partisan leanings, or just any quote with any political relevance whatsoever? Does it matter if the sig is just "whoever in '04", or does it particularly bother you more when it's a longer and more negative/pointed comment?

And as to not being from the US and thus not wanting to deal with our politics.....well, I'm not from Spain, but I wouldn't bat an eye if you were to put up a sig denouncing/supporting the Basque separatists. If it's important enough to you to want to show it on this forum, I can't see complaining that I shouldn't have to look at anything that doesn't have to do with my own country.

If you'd have read my posts in this thread you would know the answer to your first question... :p

And again, if you'd have read my other posts in this thread you could've saved the second paragraph too. After reading them I'd be more than happy to discuss any further questions/comments/etc. :)

Edit: I don't want to sound like an arrogant ass here, but I didn't find a nicer way to say that I don't like saying things twice. Sorry.

BTW, just because I am currently in Spain does not mean I am Spanish... assumptions will destroy the world some time... :D

Diatribe
Oct 22, 2004, 02:25 AM
Of course the future of the entire planet depends on the US. Haven't you seen Armagedeon?
My god man, who else will stop that asteroid, France?

rofl

As for sigs, they're little patterns of speech and should be celebrated for the color they add, just like avatars.
As for lawn signs, I have one up because I want to show support for my particular horse, it's my lawn—not so much a lawn as rock and mesquite trees, but I digress—and so is my sig, which is probably annoying to someone because it's didactic, or long winded, or doesn't include a European statesman, etc.

I think we're all too concerned with what personally offends us, too busy considering how we feel about someone else's ideas. At some point, you're right to fling your arms ends where my nose begins, but that grey area in between exists for both of us. Not just for you Diatribe and your personal feelings about the US election or political sigs, but all of us. You have to try to respect both, and understand that sometimes you will simply be outvoted.
If we kept down every impulse that might offend, quieted every movement so as not to excite, kept the music turned low, and the art in nice subtle greys, we would be a species of mutes, statues, and artless automatons.

Geez, doesn't anyone read all the comments anymore before thay post? :D

It's post #24 :p and to make it clear again... I am not offended, I am annoyed. Annoyed not by who votes for who, but by the colored, resized, altered font type sigs that use a polemic statement

Or does your sign say "I'd never vote for the chimp, vote for the smart guy!", or "The switchboat guy sucks, let's elect the awesome farm hunter!"?

QCassidy352
Oct 22, 2004, 02:30 AM
I think Dr. Q said all that needs to be or can be said on this topic. Seems to me that we're all clear now and just going in circles... :-/

rueyeet
Oct 22, 2004, 11:14 AM
I am not offended, I am annoyed. Annoyed not by who votes for who, but by the colored, resized, altered font type sigs that use a polemic statement That is exactly the specific I was looking for....and y'know, I find any colored and large-type sig annoying no matter WHAT'S in it, political or otherwise. :p But I do think that the moderators have taken the best tactic to only put the kabosh the ones that visually overwhelm post text, without censoring based on content.

And I wouldn't assume you had to be Spanish to have an opinion of the events occuring in the country you're currently inhabiting. I was a bit worried about the issue myself for a while, as a friend of mine spent a year studying in Spain.

edesignuk
Oct 22, 2004, 11:16 AM
I find any colored and large-type sig annoying no matter WHAT'S in it, political or otherwise.
Sorry (looks down) :p

edit: though it's not large I suppose :)

King Cobra
Oct 22, 2004, 11:41 AM
I still like Stupid Signatures 2004. The 2004 gets me. :D

Diatribe
Oct 24, 2004, 08:06 AM
That is exactly the specific I was looking for....and y'know, I find any colored and large-type sig annoying no matter WHAT'S in it, political or otherwise. :p But I do think that the moderators have taken the best tactic to only put the kabosh the ones that visually overwhelm post text, without censoring based on content.

Only that I had written that before already. :p
But at least we agree now. :)

paulypants
Oct 25, 2004, 12:18 PM

Impact? Pleeeease, the only impact that cardboard signs have is to divide local communities into opposing support groups for our grandiose two party system in which there is no right or wrong choice. If this were an exercise in free speech than they should be speaking out with their own voices and creating their own signs instead of buying into the two party propaganda wagon.

Mr. Anderson
Oct 25, 2004, 07:34 PM
Impact? Pleeeease, the only impact that cardboard signs have is to divide local communities into opposing support groups for our grandiose two party system in which there is no right or wrong choice. If this were an exercise in free speech than they should be speaking out with their own voices and creating their own signs instead of buying into the two party propaganda wagon.

More like the support of the lesser of two evils :rolleyes:

Lets move on here and take any discussion like this to the right forum.

Thanks,

D

solvs
Oct 25, 2004, 10:10 PM
I don't mind, even if I disagree. I like free speech. Some people have stupid signatures, some are cool, some are funny. Some make you think, while some are just blip-verts. Not up to me, it's up to us (and to a greater extent, the moderators). If a sig, or post, is SPAM... I like that it gets killed. I like that people who's only reasons for being here are to annoy or cause trouble are quickly asked to leave. And even better when the banned can make amends and return as useful citizens.

I try to be open-minded. (Though I do not disagree with your point, it can be annoying when improperly abused)

Sun Baked
Oct 25, 2004, 10:18 PM
solvs,

We did this thing on signatures, and there are some huge ones that have popped up.

Just saw one that looked like it was 15 lines long-- in default text -- and the posts were only a single/couple/few lines.

Talk about the confusion in trying to figure out if the person even is posting a comment worth reading, and where it's at. :eek:

dotnina
Oct 25, 2004, 10:38 PM
Maybe I just haven't been on MR enough lately, but I haven't seen any overdone political sigs.

The most obtrusive sig I saw was in ~15 pt. type, in caps, red, about four letters long. But that's the worse political one I've seen.

Anyway, I like the political sigs in the same way I like sigs in general -- it gives you a little information on who the person is. For example, if their sig says "Vote for _________," then you can say, "What a moron -- vote for _________?!"

-- or conversely, "Genius. That's exactly who I'm voting for, too." :)

hulugu
Oct 25, 2004, 10:52 PM

I made my Green Party sign out of recycled green paper and soda cans, does that count?

Doctor Q
Oct 26, 2004, 02:02 AM
Just saw one that looked like it was 15 lines long-- in default text -- and the posts were only a single/couple/few lines.If you report posts with much larger than average (i.e., huge) signatures, your friendly neighborhood moderators can issue suitable warnings.

Macs R Us
Oct 26, 2004, 05:54 AM
Well I can tell you I don't have any Politacal statements in mine :D :rolleyes: ... But I did not know it bothered any one, well if its ture, I will remove it... I see nothing wrong with it, but since I can not vote I wanted to do something to help Bush... Thats my two cents...

vixapphire
Oct 31, 2004, 03:09 AM

what is most unfortunate is that campaign buttons, signs and the like -- what were once considered means of opening conversations -- are now considered by most of their wielders to be weapons to shut down any debate. how "tolerant" we all are now... of everyone except those with whom we disagree.

pathetic.

hulugu
Nov 1, 2004, 01:21 AM
what is most unfortunate is that campaign buttons, signs and the like -- what were once considered means of opening conversations -- are now considered by most of their wielders to be weapons to shut down any debate. how "tolerant" we all are now... of everyone except those with whom we disagree.

pathetic.

LA must be rough, I've had great conversations with people of the opposite political ideas; I still think they're wrong and missing many big ideas, but I have enjoyed thinking about the state of the world with them.

Xtremehkr
Nov 8, 2004, 01:13 AM
As long as they are not false or malicious I don't really mind. The political attack sigs are the ones that occaisionally bug me. Being apart of the process is not a bad thing.

I think people are sick of politics in general right now, but that is not about to end anytime soon I don't think.

beatle888
Nov 8, 2004, 10:21 PM
maybe this thread should be called.

Do you hate free speech as much as i do?

i know the obvious replies to this but really...isnt that what this thread is about? to be honest i hate free speech when its in total opposition to my beliefs but hey...learning to deal with it is called maturing.

Sun Baked
Nov 8, 2004, 10:24 PM
If you report posts with much larger than average (i.e., huge) signatures, your friendly neighborhood moderators can issue suitable warnings.Found him, and his long 20 line signature is much shorter now. :D

Diatribe
Nov 9, 2004, 01:23 AM

i know the obvious replies to this but really...isnt that what this thread is about? to be honest i hate free speech when its in total opposition to my beliefs but hey...learning to deal with it is called maturing.

Maybe I should start a new thread called:

Read the thread before you post in it.

Reading it before you post is something like thinking before you post. This would be considered maturity too. ;)

hulugu
Nov 9, 2004, 02:14 AM

Stop that.