Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I'm getting embarrassed of going to the apple store. I absolutely love my iPad, but I keep having problems.

First, I had drip marks on the screen (oleophobic coating was messed up). Apple replaced it.

Then, dust was under the screen. Apple replaced it.

Now, there's a stuck pixel that I cant unstick.

Should I take it in yet again? Does an iPad without defects exist?

I'm thinking about just returning it...although I love it, at this point it's giving me more stress than happiness. :(

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Return it and buy a brand new one from a different Apple Store. The different part is probably unnecessary, but it'll help you out mentally. :p

Hang tight!

88Keys

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Complaining over a single stuck pixel? Seriously? Get over it and enjoy your iPad.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Complaining over a single stuck pixel? Seriously? Get over it and enjoy your iPad.

But shouldn't I? The sole purpose of the device is to act as a screen, and it's not even 10". My 52" HDTV doesn't even have these issues. And I'm not sure about you, but for me this is quite a bit of money.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
Don't they tell you to check it and make sure you're ok with it before you walk out of the store with the new iPad?

88Keys

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
But shouldn't I? The sole purpose of the device is to act as a screen, and it's not even 10". My 52" HDTV doesn't even have those issues. And I'm not sure about you, but for me this is quite a bit of money.

Because I'm certain one stuck pixel out of thousands degrades your iPad experience. :-/

In this case, the problem here is not you being able to find a "perfect" iPad, but the latent ability to conquer your mental perspective that if it is not absolutely "flawless" then it is no good.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Because I'm certain one stuck pixel out of thousands degrades your iPad experience. :-/

In this case, the problem here is not you being able to find a "perfect" iPad, but the latent ability to conquer your mental perspective that if it is not absolutely "flawless" then it is no good.

It kind of does lol. I'm weird, I know, and it wouldn't bother a lot of other people, but it does me. I just want something that isn't defective. :\

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
LCD technology is not perfect.

A stuck pixel can usually be unstuck. What have you done to try to remedy it?

Usually a movie with a lot of dynamic colors will fix it. Cars or Speed Racer come to mind.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
LCD technology is not perfect.

A stuck pixel can usually be unstuck. What have you done to try to remedy it?

Usually a movie with a lot of dynamic colors will fix it. Cars or Speed Racer come to mind.

I ran a couple pixel unsticks for a while. A few different ones.

88Keys

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
So are yours all fine then?

Yes, my iPad works as advertised. Gorgeous screen with no earth shattering flaws that prevent it's enjoyment. Is there a stuck pixel or two? Maybe, I'm not going to go looking for minor imperfections. If I suffered from atrocious uneven backlighting, screen yellowing, dust under screen, chipping of oleographic coating, weak wifi, case warping, etc. I'd be demanding a replacement, but not for one or two stuck pixels that may unstick over time.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Yes, my iPad works as advertised. Gorgeous screen with no earth shattering flaws that prevent it's enjoyment. Is there a stuck pixel or two? Maybe, I'm not going to go looking for minor imperfections. If I suffered from atrocious uneven backlighting, screen yellowing, dust under screen, chipping of oleographic coating, weak wifi, case warping, etc. I'd be demanding a replacement, but not for one or two stuck pixels that may unstick over time.

Haha, I've had 2 of the 3. I figured after all that, it'd have been nice to get one with no issues. Silly me! :(

88Keys

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Haha, I've had 2 of the 3. I figured after all that, it'd have been nice to get one with no issues. Silly me! :(

Honestly, I have no right telling you what you should and shouldn't complain about. If it really bothers you then go exchange, but be fully aware that your next iPad could potentially be worse...or "perfect"!

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
The answer is NO. There are no perfect iPads.

So you have a choice...accept that fact or return it once and for all.

It's that easy.

Should you struggle with the decision keep in mind that this is not your last iPad. There will be other ipads and other gadgets headed our way in the future, and none of those will be perfect either. So this one, if you choose to keep it, is only temporary.

Good luck.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks guys. I think I know what I'm gonna do. Sucks that I'm not being realistic.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
Mines perfect, if it wasn't I would return it and check the replacement in store before leaving.

kangaralph

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
they keep giving u refurb ones. a stuck pixel leads to more stuck pixels.
they'll change it cuz then in awhile it'll be all burned and they wont replace *****

hawk1226

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
88Keys said:

Are you being serious? How can you criticize him for his entitlement to an iPad that performs as it is supposed to? If he dropped it and a pixel was stuck then I can agree with you, but I know if there was something defective with my iPad I'd return it immediately.

FirePak

macrumors regular
May 5, 2006
Mesa Arizona
Take it back! I don't care how minor the defect is it's still a defect. I took one back because of 2 dead pixels and got a perfect one.

88Keys

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Are you being serious? How can you criticize him for his entitlement to an iPad that performs as it is supposed to? If he dropped it and a pixel was stuck then I can agree with you, but I know if there was something defective with my iPad I'd return it immediately.

Yes, I am being serious. No where did I criticize him for his "entitlement" to an iPad. I criticized his approach of one stuck pixel rendering his iPad as not worth keeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.