Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Centst

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Can someone who has a perfect screen take a picture in a dark room of their iPad at 100% brightness with a solid black background, so there is some sort of reference for us with screen issues?

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
I have had no issues with mine yet at all. I mean, other than buggy WIFI, but since that is a known issue I will wait for an update that fixes it. No sense starting all over again for the same potential problem.

bob1

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
Clearly visible Speck of dust reported on day 2 of usage. UPS picked it up and apple just sent it back with the excuse "the reported symptoms could not be verified" (roughly translated/german).

Due to Gadget OCD and an hour of apple care phone calls I decided to drive to the next Apple Store which is about a 120 miles away. Genius (only by job description) gave me a new one, I turned it on and it has a dead pixel around the middle of the screen.
Genius then (slightly grumpy) offered me another exchange but I'd have to wait for a few more days and drive there again.

I'll do it one more time for several reasons
a) an iPad that won't trigger my obsessive behaviour

b) if the next one is faulty I simply stop being a stupid fanboy running around praising apple

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Clearly visible Speck of dust reported on day 2 of usage. UPS picked it up and apple just sent it back with the excuse "the reported symptoms could not be verified" (roughly translated/german).

Due to Gadget OCD and an hour of apple care phone calls I decided to drive to the next Apple Store which is about a 120 miles away. Genius (only by job description) gave me a new one, I turned it on and it has a dead pixel around the middle of the screen.
Genius then (slightly grumpy) offered me another exchange but I'd have to wait for a few more days and drive there again.

I'll do it one more time for several reasons
a) an iPad that won't trigger my obsessive behaviour

b) if the next one is faulty I simply stop being a stupid fanboy running around praising apple

When the OCD fervor dies down, please describe one, only one perfect, fault free product on the market. I made it easy for you. Just name on faultless product.

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
Mine exists and it's f*cking awesome. I really do feel terrible that stuff like this is happening with the device. I hope everything gets straightened out dude.

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
Since when did apple start replacing things with a single stuck pixel? I had a defective screen on a powerbook (white spots). I brought it to get the screen replaced. They did and when I got it back there was a stuck pixel in the new screen and they basically told me 'tough ****'. They said even if I bought a brand new powerbook they wouldn't replace it for a single stuck pixel.

Guess times change :/

GSX

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
Keep up the good work with the returns.

That just means more iPads in the refurb store for people like me who don't want to pay full retail for an iPad.:D

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I don't think you should be embarrassed at all, OP. Keep at it till you get one you're happy with, whatever that may be.

IMO, there are four types of people out there WRT to dead pixels. Ones who don't see them, those who do but don't care, those who do and care but don't do anything about it because the manufacturers have told them that "some defective pixels are normal and acceptable defects", and finally those who do care and do something about it.

There's nothing wrong with being in any particular group. What is wrong, however, is telling someone off for being in a particular group.

The thing is, some of us have (unfortunately?) very good vision. I can spot a dead pixel a mile away. Is it a good thing? No, I wish I didn't. Frankly it's a curse but I gotta live with it. I also happen to not buy into the BS that LCD manufacturers spew about a few defective pixels is a normal and acceptable thing. And I can see this phenomena taking off, since some people are fully accepting of that. Why not extend it to cars and scratches, TVs with uneven stands etc...

The problem here is the iPad is nothing if not for that gorgeous IPS panel. It's the thing you use most, "looking" at it for hours at a time. The least they can do is give the consumer a pixel-perfect screen. Hell, if my TV and LCD monitor manufacturers were able to pull this off on a large panel (50" +), it shouldn't be a stretch to expect the same on a sub 10 inch screen.

I applaud those who take back their units that have defective pixels. It's the only message we can send manufacturers that this isn't an acceptable defect.

Good luck to you OP and hope you get a perfect iPad; they do exist. ;)

bob1

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
Which beer? LOL.

European brands, the more bitter pilsner style brands like Jever for me, but that's individual taste. Fresh from the brewery is heaven but since we're talking about commercial mass market products here I must say their botteled retail versions never let me down.

What worsens the dead pixel awareness IMO is the fact that the exessive iPhone usage since its release sharpened at least my eye focus for these tiny things

bob1

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
2nd exchange, still one faulty pixel, less distracting than the one before, tho.

Killed off some of the enthusiasm, that's for sure.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I wouldn't settle for one with a stuck/dead pixel right out of the box. If it happens a few weeks after purchase oh well, but not right out of the box, that is inexcusable. Many companies have a policy of stuck/dead pixels on items for the first 7-14 days are replaceable, wish Apple had something similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.