Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Only one I've seen is....

10.6.4 now recognizes the i7 980x. (posted in thread Cindori Custom: Building an i7 Hackintosh by ValSalva)

Note: without wishing to upset anyone - can we please post info only - rather than have another collection of posts discussing everything :)

---------------
Renamed thread
from - Significant pointers to new MacPro release
I really can't see the point in starting or having a thread to pull together the most salient points if it just turns into another pile of individual conversational notes.
My apologies to those who posted something relevant.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Yes, here is the link.

Hopefully this is an indication of upcoming support for a new Mac Pro with a hexacore processor. Unsure if the new kernel hexacore support is only for the i7 980x and not for a Xeon one. Hopefully Tonymac didn't mention Xeons only because few who build a hackintosh use Xeons, although some do.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
This is the most credible rumor I've seen... (published March 18th)

Apple is putting the finishing touches on a pair of new products targeted at its professional customers, namely a larger version of its LED Cinema Display and a major update to its Mac Pro workstations, AppleInsider has been told.

Targeted for release by June is the Cupertino-based company's second LED-backlit Cinema Display, measuring 27-inch diagonal and largely resembling a slightly magnified version of its existing 24-inch model (review), which was introduced to much fanfare back in October of 2008.

Two people familiar with the upcoming display say its been lingering in Apple's labs for quite sometime, where it's frequently referenced by the unique identifier/codename "K59." The Mac maker is believed to have been waiting patiently for the cost of the larger LCD panels, which sport a resolution of 2560 by 1440 pixels, to shed some of their premium before introducing the model to market.

Thanks to the success of its 27-inch iMacs, which sport similar components, Apple's now believed to be in a position to market the display more affordably. The company also recently put behind it problems with the same size panels that slowed the momentum of its larger iMac offerings for several months following their October 2009 introduction.

Meanwhile, Apple is also wrapping up development of its brawniest update to the Mac Pro ever, also slated to arrive by June, despite external reports that inaccurately pegged its release to show up as early as January or as recently as this week.

While details are scarce, people familiar with the matter were stern in stating that Mac maker's plans call for a dodeca-core model, sporting a pair of Intel's latest Westmere-based hexacore chips for a total of 12 cores.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...h_led_cinema_display_dodeca_core_mac_pro.html

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Wonder if they looked for any new machine identifiers or GPUs in there, or was this it.

With new machines Running 10.6.4.x

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
I heard the new Mac Pro will be the first desktop to have a high speed Josephson circuit logic.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Wonder if they looked for any new machine identifiers or GPUs in there, or was this it.

With new machines Running 10.6.4.x

That stuff will probably be in a special build the MP ships with. Apple often does that to prevent 10.*.* releases from giving away new hardware.

theaero

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2008
Can't wait.... although I'm wondering whether or not to wait for sandy bridge, and pray for lightpipe, usb3, pciexpress3.0 etc.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
10.6.4 now recognizes the i7 980x. (posted in thread Cindori Custom: Building an i7 Hackintosh by ValSalva)

Mac Pro or targeted at a iMac update coming this Fall ? The refernced article says support for all Core-i3/i5/i7 models (not explicit, specific support the 980x.) . That would include any likely updates coming for iMac that are quite a bit under what the 980x footprint and price would require.

There is little advantage of the 980x over the 3680 since they are exactly the same price. Apple has never used the "extreme" anything, nor is the "extreme" line particularly price competitive against entry Xeon parts on price. Why would the Mac Pro ( which is suppose to support much larger than average RAM footprints) dump ECC in a "pro" box ?

P.S. It only makes sense if Intel is planning to leave the gap under the 3680 permanently open (there won't be 3620-3640 like offerings). At that point Apple would be forced to separate the SP and DP models. Not particularly going to lead to any huge price cuts ... just going to get less since the non Xeon offerings deliver less.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

Note: without wishing to upset anyone - can we please post info only - rather than have another collection of posts discussing everything :)

---------------
Renamed thread
I really can't see the point in starting or having a thread to pull together the most salient points if it just turns into another pile of individual conversational notes.

It was a nice try. :)

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Renamed thread

haha most threads end up like that :(

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Wrong and right. They used the Core 2 Duo Extreme (X7900) in the first aluminium iMac (24" model)

As an option, not as a standard component of a "base , better , best" line up. It was in the priced higher than "best" custom config. However, yes technically have used it once; didn't look back through all the options sorry about that. They haven't been inclined to go with that option when there have been alternatives. It isn't like they have product lines every year built around Intel "extreme" offerings. Price/performance+features the "extreme" tend to be less than other intel offerings. Extremely popular with the tweaker crowd, but not particularly cost effective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.