PDA

View Full Version : Slow G4

BaMBaM
Oct 21, 2004, 09:07 AM
I'm experienceing a pretty long delay when logging in, launching or switching between programs on one of my G4s. (computer is thinking) Funny thing is, my other G4 (exactly the same) is fast as ever. I'm wondering if the solution might be to relaod all the programs. Office, Illustrator 10, Photoshop 7, InDesign 2. Or is there a simple fix I can do?

Any suggestions?

Mac OSX 10.2.8, Dual processor, 1.0 Ghz

edesignuk
Oct 21, 2004, 09:10 AM
You tried repairing permissions? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=89736)

BaMBaM
Oct 21, 2004, 09:32 AM
Your link was helpful.

Tried it. Didn't work. I'm going to Zap the P RAM next.
Any other suggestions?

mkrishnan
Oct 21, 2004, 09:49 AM
Your link was helpful.

Tried it. Didn't work. I'm going to Zap the P RAM next.
Any other suggestions?

Is it on all the time? If not, run the cron tasks? These are regularly scheduled maintenance tasks, and they include swapping out some log type files that can get oversized if it's never done.... You can run them whenever you want from the terminal (someone help on the command -- I couldn't find the thread here) or use a program such as MacJanitor (http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/macjanitor.html).

edesignuk
Oct 21, 2004, 09:57 AM
Is it on all the time? If not, run the cron tasks? These are regularly scheduled maintenance tasks, and they include swapping out some log type files that can get oversized if it's never done.... You can run them whenever you want from the terminal (someone help on the command -- I couldn't find the thread here) or use a program such as MacJanitor (http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/macjanitor.html).
The command to eneter in to the Terminal is
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

BaMBaM
Oct 21, 2004, 10:16 AM
Zapping PRAM did nothing, as far as I can tell. Any other low budget suggestions? I'm not computer savy enough to try and figure this out without risking damaging something else.
Thanks for the help.

7on
Oct 21, 2004, 11:28 AM
Delete Cache files? Pretty much anything within Cache folders can be deleted.

BaMBaM
Oct 21, 2004, 11:55 AM
mkrishnan, No the computer is not always on. Actually, i just fired it up for the first time in 8-10 months. We're getting an intern and i needed to get it up to speed. It had this problem before, but the person using it never found a solution. Now they're gone and I'm all by my self trying to figure this out.

I'm sorry, but I do not know what cron tasks are, and i've been unable to find out what the command is. Someone Know?
Thanks again for all the suggestions...this is the place to come for help!

edesignuk
Oct 21, 2004, 11:57 AM
I'm sorry, but I do not know what cron tasks are, and i've been unable to find out what the command is. Someone Know?
The command to enter in to the Terminal is
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly:rolleyes:

BaMBaM
Oct 21, 2004, 12:05 PM
edesignuk,
I'm sorry, but I don't see anything in the box under "Code:"
Am I missing something?

I know....NEWBIE!

edesignuk
Oct 21, 2004, 12:08 PM
edesignuk,
I'm sorry, but I don't see anything in the box under "Code:"
Am I missing something?

I know....NEWBIE!
That's very odd :confused: It's there, I can see it, how about anyone else?

Anyway, this is what you need to enter:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

:)

Flynnstone
Oct 21, 2004, 12:10 PM
How about firing up "Activity Monitor" n Applications -> Utilities.
It will show what is using up cpu cycles.
Also if it is not the logged on user using the cpu you should select "All Processes" from the popup menu selector.

HTH

BaMBaM
Oct 21, 2004, 12:26 PM
edesignuk-

<<That's very odd It's there, I can see it, how about anyone else?

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly>>

Everything in <<>> is what I can see. No command. This is frustrating.

Flynnstone- Activity monitor is up and nothing looks like it's sucking up a bunch of %CPU or %Memory

edesignuk
Oct 21, 2004, 12:33 PM
edesignuk-

<<That's very odd It's there, I can see it, how about anyone else?

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly>>

Everything in <<>> is what I can see. No command. This is frustrating.
Are you saying you can't see this bit - "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" - in my last post (where I didn't use the [code] tags???

BaMBaM
Oct 21, 2004, 12:36 PM
Yes, I can see "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly". If that is what I need...What do I do with it? (man, one can sure go from feeling pretty compitent to NOT in a very short period!)
Thanks for being patient.

edesignuk
Oct 21, 2004, 12:40 PM
Yes, I can see "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly". If that is what I need...What do I do with it? (man, one can sure go from feeling pretty compitent to NOT in a very short period!)
Thanks for being patient.
Open up the Terminal.app (Applications > Utilities), and paste that command in the window (without the speech marks), hit return, enter your password, and let it do its job :)

JeDiBoYTJ
Oct 21, 2004, 12:44 PM
What I would do as a last resort is just completely format and reinstall OSX, then reinstall all the programs you need, that should bring your computer back up to perfect speed again, unless the problem is Hardware related, but I doubt it.

jeremy.king
Oct 21, 2004, 12:44 PM
Perhaps MacJanitor (http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/macjanitor.html) is a much better option for you.

BaMBaM
Oct 21, 2004, 12:55 PM
edesignuk,
It worked! Cool, very cool. Thanks for the help!

Also, kingjr3, I'm downloading MAC Janitor

Again, Thanks for the help!

Catch ya later

neut
Oct 21, 2004, 04:57 PM
next time you leave a computer sitting around for months at a time i'll gladly take it off your hands. :)

computers like it when you use them...

peace.