PDA

View Full Version : new HD formatting: what format is it?

jxyama
Oct 21, 2004, 11:50 AM
i just got a Lacie 160 GB HD... on a piece of paper, it said that the HD was pre-formatted for plug and play use for "Windows 98, 2K, XP and Mac OS 9.x" but that "Mac OS 10.x" would need to use disk utility to re-format.

naturally, i just plugged it in and it mounts fine, with 160 GB capacity on my panther. since i wasn't prompted to reformat, i assume i could probably plug this into a windows machine and it will probably mount as well.

i thought Mac couldn't read NTSC and fat32 can't use more than 120 GB partition? (or something like that?) so i'm wondering what format it's in... i'll probably end up setting up partitions so it will be reformatted into HFS+ anyway, but was just curious.

edesignuk
Oct 21, 2004, 11:54 AM
NTSCThat's a video format, NTFS is the one you're after ;)

jxyama
Oct 21, 2004, 12:02 PM
That's a video format, NTFS is the one you're after ;)

ah yes, my bad... hang over from researching about the eyeTV... :D

yellow
Oct 21, 2004, 12:03 PM
The mac can read NTFS just fine, 10.3.5 has "limited writing" capabilities to an NTFS volume.

AdamR01
Oct 21, 2004, 02:24 PM
The mac can read NTFS just fine, 10.3.5 has "limited writing" capabilities to an NTFS volume.

I didn't know that! Thats really cool. Is there anything special you need to do to turn it on?

EDIT: Oh and will remounting the drive under Windows tell you that the filesystem is dirty?

jxyama
Oct 21, 2004, 02:31 PM
oh. hmm, i guess i didn't try writing on the disk... i'll do that when i get home today.

yellow
Oct 21, 2004, 02:44 PM
Is there anything special you need to do to turn it on?

Nope. Simply updating to 10.3.5 takes care of it.