PDA

View Full Version : Apple 'Pro Mouse' vs. 'Mouse'

KevRC4130
Oct 21, 2004, 06:22 PM
Hi everyone,
So this is sort of an addition to my other thread about this problem. I bought a Pro Mouse on ebay, and it doesn't work with my Powerbook. I took it to CompUSA and tried it on the iMac G5, no dice. I also tried it on a Windows laptop. No dice. What I did notice was that the mouse I have is a 'Pro Mouse' with a little adjustment wheel around the optical eye. The 'Mouse' was what was hooked to the Macs are CompUSA, and the optical eye was just in a small hole without the adjustment wheel. Also, I emailed the seller and he told me that it worked fine on his computer running OS9. What I'm getting at is, is the 'Pro Mouse' not compatible with OSX, and for OSX one uses the 'Mouse'? It seems dumb that they aren't backwards compatible, but who knows. Also, I don't have an OS9 machine to test it on, so I really don't know.

Thanks

Billicus
Oct 21, 2004, 06:32 PM
Hi everyone,
So this is sort of an addition to my other thread about this problem. I bought a Pro Mouse on ebay, and it doesn't work with my Powerbook. I took it to CompUSA and tried it on the iMac G5, no dice. I also tried it on a Windows laptop. No dice. What I did notice was that the mouse I have is a 'Pro Mouse' with a little adjustment wheel around the optical eye. The 'Mouse' was what was hooked to the Macs are CompUSA, and the optical eye was just in a small hole without the adjustment wheel. Also, I emailed the seller and he told me that it worked fine on his computer running OS9. What I'm getting at is, is the 'Pro Mouse' not compatible with OSX, and for OSX one uses the 'Mouse'? It seems dumb that they aren't backwards compatible, but who knows. Also, I don't have an OS9 machine to test it on, so I really don't know.

Thanks

A picture would be helpful... Most mice work with OS X no problem... Maybe something happened to it while it was shipped. That could result it working fine on one end, and coming out non functional on the other end. :eek:

hotwire132002
Oct 21, 2004, 06:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Pro Mouse is definately OS X compatable--One of those came with my old iMac G4, which came with OS X. Definately no issue there--I still would have to say it's a bad mouse.

KevRC4130
Oct 21, 2004, 06:57 PM
This is the Pro Mouse, what I have... http://www.wap.org/journal/applepromouse/promousebottom.JPG

This is the Mouse...
http://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/ab/97/93_1.JPG

JediL1
Oct 21, 2004, 07:37 PM
Dude, I think the Pro Mouse is damaged or somthing. I've used that same model pro mouse on multiple macs include OS X and it works fine. I'd contact the seller.

KevRC4130
Oct 21, 2004, 09:06 PM
The seller told me he had to download something to get the mouse to work, but he can't remember what. Any ideas?

RiseAgainst
Oct 21, 2004, 09:11 PM
Don't you think its a little convenient how the seller can't remember what he downloaded?

BS...the seller is trying to get you to stop bothering him because:

A) He sold you a busted mouse

or

B) Something happened during shipping and the seller doesn't wan't anything to do with it.

Blue Velvet
Oct 21, 2004, 09:12 PM
The seller told me he had to download something to get the mouse to work, but he can't remember what. Any ideas?

I think he might be winding you up.
The Pro Mice work plug & play with OS9 & X.

RGunner
Oct 21, 2004, 09:27 PM
all Apple mice (even old ADB serial) versions work with OSX without loading software...

loading software is a windows term :)

OnceUGoMac
Oct 21, 2004, 09:44 PM
I use the Pro Mouse. The Mouse is fairly new. In fact OS X is much older than the new mouse. OH, btw, there is no software to download.

mms
Oct 21, 2004, 11:32 PM
http://www.theapplemuseum.com/index.php?id=tam&page=misc&subpage=input_mousepro

What you have is the black optical mouse that shipped with computers from 2000 to 2003. It was replaced by the white one, which continues to ship today. It should work fine without additional software, so I guess it is a problem with the mouse itself.

johnnowak
Oct 22, 2004, 12:58 AM
He's trying to screw you. The mouse is broken, period.