PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of a "newbie" title...

EMKoper
Oct 24, 2004, 10:57 AM
Is there anyway I can get rid of the "newbie" title by my name without posting some number of times?

Seriously, my impression is that someone with "newbie" attached to their name gets treated a little bit differently on this site. Sometimes it is really direct... like "a newbie trying to sell something here is suspicious" or there is a tone in the responses that is a little more subtle. So what should constitute a real "newbie?"

Anyway, there are probably lots of users like me... I visit the site once or twice every day, read most of the new posts in 4-5 sub-forums, and contribute to the discussion on occasion. I've been doing this for about 2 years, pretty loyally. Seems there should be an "award for good attendance" or something like that ...

Savage Henry
Oct 24, 2004, 11:04 AM
Being round here this long should mean you know what a 'Sticky' means?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=37092

The link should fill you in.

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2004, 11:06 AM
Newbies don't get treated differently to anyone else. If they post stupid stuff, then they get told so just like anyone else. As for the market place, yes, I myself find a newb trying to sell something on the cheap more suspicious than I would a long term member. Why? Because a newb has nothing to loose by ripping you off, they haven't invested any time in the community getting to know other members, taking part in discussions etc.

Anyway, to the question (which BTW I'd classify under the "stupid newbie questions" :p), read the FAQ! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=37092) It's a sticky! ;) :D

King Cobra
Oct 24, 2004, 11:32 AM
Seriously, my impression is that someone with "newbie" attached to their name gets treated a little bit differently on this site.
Unlike edesignuk, I treat newbs like s*** compared to everyone else. Take a long look at the first line in my sig. :D

Actually, the types of newbs I'm after are the ones who spend apparently no effort in researching an issue, or do something that gets them into trouble without taking the necessary precautions, and are at their own fault for the action. I think I've called Capt. Underpants a newb at one point for one of the three reasons, even when he had over 500 posts and an avatar.

Note: Concrete definition of newb outside of MacRumors definition still undergoing experimentation and further testing.

EMKoper
Oct 24, 2004, 12:53 PM
I was aware of the # of posts, but what I am suggesting is that there could be other ways other than raw number of posts.

you know what a 'Sticky' means?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=37092

The link should fill you in.

Thanks, Savage Henry and edesignuk, but the link that both you non-newbies referenced never calls it a "Sticky"... it does call it a "title" just as I called it.

the "newbie" title by my name

I am suggesting there should be other ways to get some sort of status on the forum.

Blue Velvet
Oct 24, 2004, 01:00 PM
...I am suggesting there should be other ways to get some sort of status on the forum.

There is.

Cough up some money ($20, I think) to get yourself a title of some sort... see 'Contributions' in the FAQ.

If you get a lot out of the site, then you may find it worth it.

musicpyrite
Oct 24, 2004, 01:16 PM
Q: How do I get rid of the "Macrumors newbie" title?

A: Be a post whore. You nebie title will magically change to "Banned".

:D ;)

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks, Savage Henry and edesignuk, but the link that both you non-newbies referenced never calls it a "Sticky"... it does call it a "title" just as I called it.er...yes, it does. It's got "Sticky" written next to it, and it is stuck at the top of the forum so that YOU DON'T MISS IT ;)

realityisterror
Oct 24, 2004, 04:26 PM
you only need 3 more freakin' posts to become a "member"!
maybe this is your method of doing that???

i find it hard to believe that you've been visiting for 2 years and only have 27 posts...

reality

tech4all
Oct 24, 2004, 04:36 PM
i find it hard to believe that you've been visiting for 2 years and only have 27 posts.

If you look at their profile it does say that they joined on 12-18-02.

Savage Henry
Oct 24, 2004, 04:45 PM
If you look at their profile it does say that they joined on 12-18-02.

Umm... I think the point was that 27 posts in nearly 700 days is a little on the low side ..... :rolleyes:

And to nominate myself for Pedant Of The Year, it works out at a post every 25.037 days. :D

EMKoper
Oct 24, 2004, 05:36 PM
Let me end the train wreck.. reflecting back on this thread, I think I know what may have happened spurring the initial responses from edesignuk and Savage Henry ... I edited my post immediately after I sent it clarifying I understood that there is some number of posts to get "newbie" off your title. So, mea culpa there, you guys probably were responding in the first minute while I was editing my post. That led to my confused response regarding the "sticky"... I thought you guys were trying to tell me the "title" was called a "sticky"...
read the FAQ! It's a sticky!
So, anyway, my original point was that it seems there should be another or a complementing meter of what the title says based somewhat on how long someone has been a member not just how much they post. So, realityisterror makes my point:
you only need 3 more freakin' posts to become a "member"!
maybe this is your method of doing that???
I haven't particularly contributed much today, but I am three clicks closer to being called a member. Seems like a much more useful statement to say I've been visiting this site regularly for years... The site has been useful, it spurred me to buy a PowerMac and a PowerBook in 2 years... that is 0.00274 Macs purchased per per day if you average it out...

Mechcozmo
Oct 25, 2004, 01:59 AM
...that is 0.00274 Macs purchased per per day if you average it out...

Dude, you really need to find some hobbies...find a life... ;)

We were all n00bies once, but you can alleviate the "hey stupid newbie" posts by making them informative. Look at some of the others here and see what they post, how they do it, etc. That way, you don't get spit at.

Macs R Us
Oct 25, 2004, 03:22 AM
Unlike edesignuk, I treat newbs like s*** compared to everyone else. Take a long look at the first line in my sig. :D

Yes, well I was a newbie twice and got treated nice by you, thanks... Well at anyrate NO ONE will admit that they think your ill-informed since you are a newbie... But many people do... Well who knows....

dotnina
Oct 25, 2004, 03:55 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the current system. When you contribute (ie, post), you get something in return: a designation indicating your post level.

Anyway, seeing how you've only had 27 posts in nearly two years, I don't know why you would even care about your status? If someone in particular has picked on your newb-ness, you can report that to a moderator.

Like another person else mentioned, you could always contribute the $20 to become a "Demi-God," or you could just start participating more. If everyone at Macrumors just came to read posts, new switchers would never get advice, Mac users couldn't share stories, etc.

Edit: Sorry, one more thing. Not to pick on you, but you didn't have a single post between December 2003 and July 2004. It just seems curious that in all those days, you visited Macrumors daily (by your own assertion) and yet didn't have a single thing to contribute? Again, not picking on you necessarily, just noting how odd that is.

Macs R Us
Oct 25, 2004, 05:59 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the current system. When you contribute (ie, post), you get something in return: a designation indicating your post level. s curious that in all those days....

Well I did contribute once then I got a refund, and now I can't... D@rn... But well I'm a "regular" again, its not that bad...

tsaxer
Oct 25, 2004, 08:18 AM
I don't know that it's that odd. I figure that since I'm that much of a techie, that I really don't have too much to add in a lot of dicussions, though I find them interesting to read. I also don't feel the need to make the seemingly obligatory "yeah it would be sooooo coool if the powerbook G5 comes out Tuesday" to every rumored product announcement (I only used the PBG5 as an example, no tangents, please, ha). I also visit the site daily as part of my online routine (Macrumors, NYT, Hotmail, then find ways to avoid work), so I can empathize. But I'm not particluarly concerned with my title.

I'm just saying I don't think it's that odd...

rueyeet
Oct 25, 2004, 11:41 AM
The only way that titles cause problems is when too much importance is assigned to them. :)

Mr. Anderson
Oct 25, 2004, 11:47 AM
Not to pick on you, but you didn't have a single post between December 2003 and July 2004. It just seems curious that in all those days, you visited Macrumors daily (by your own assertion) and yet didn't have a single thing to contribute? Again, not picking on you necessarily, just noting how odd that is.

That's not really all that odd - there are many lurkers who read the boards everyday and just don't feel like saying anything or what they've said has been said before.

I can think of plenty of members who would do well to take that approach from time to time. :D

Regardless, there are more than enough members here that you'll find a wide range of posting styles/frequencies.

And by just responding to this thread, he'll no doubt loose his noob status quite soon :D

D

Sun Baked
Oct 25, 2004, 11:56 AM
That's not really all that odd - there are many lurkers who read the boards everyday and just don't feel like saying anything or what they've said has been said before.

I can think of plenty of members who would do well to take that approach from time to time. :D

DSays the man with 18000 posts. :D

iBook
Oct 26, 2004, 02:35 PM
Edit: Sorry, one more thing. Not to pick on you, but you didn't have a single post between December 2003 and July 2004. It just seems curious that in all those days, you visited Macrumors daily (by your own assertion) and yet didn't have a single thing to contribute? Again, not picking on you necessarily, just noting how odd that is.

I, for one, visit the site a couple of times a day. I don't post every day or even every other day unless I have something to say. Seems your point would be better directed to those who post "downloading now" or "kewl" or the like vs. someone with a bit more discretion.

FWIW, people here are frequently rude to members with "newbie" designations. How many diatribes have we read against people who write "MAC" vs. "Mac"? I just saw someone rant about the use of "IPOD" vs. "iPod"?

Who cares?

tech4all
Oct 26, 2004, 02:44 PM
FWIW, people here are frequently rude to members with "newbie" designations. How many diatribes have we read against people who write "MAC" vs. "Mac"? I just saw someone rant about the use of "IPOD" vs. "iPod"?

Who cares?

I must admit it does bother me some. But you are right and some people have to lighten up. Although "MAC" technically does mean Media Acess Control, we all know they mean "Mac". I think people who rant about this are somewhat of "perfectionist", like me :o I'm not saying people who do this are perfectionist, I'm just mean that it could be a possiblity. Like with me right now, I'm explaining what I mean too much to be sure people don't get the wrong idea :D (I like being very detailed) ;) :p

And keep previewing my post to be sure my post sounds right. :D :rolleyes:

jared_kipe
Oct 27, 2004, 01:12 PM
Newbies don't get treated differently to anyone else. If they post stupid stuff, then they get told so just like anyone else. As for the market place, yes, I myself find a newb trying to sell something on the cheap more suspicious than I would a long term member. Why? Because a newb has nothing to loose by ripping you off, they haven't invested any time in the community getting to know other members, taking part in discussions etc.

Anyway, to the question (which BTW I'd classify under the "stupid newbie questions" :p), read the FAQ! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=37092) It's a sticky! ;) :D

Since when do we take time to get to know other members? ;)

emw
Oct 27, 2004, 01:38 PM
Since when do we take time to get to know other members? ;)

"Get to know" may be a little strong in many instances, but in general, you get to know the personalities and the posting styles of various members. In some cases, that's a positive thing (for example, I can always count on edesignuk to throw out a good rant from time to time to go with his Keira pics), and in others it may be less good (someone's always throwing out inane or irrelevant comments).

But really, members who have been around for awhile tend to earn some amount of respect over time through various "conversations."

sgarringer
Oct 28, 2004, 05:25 PM
I, for one, visit the site a couple of times a day. I don't post every day or even every other day unless I have something to say. Seems your point would be better directed to those who post "downloading now" or "kewl" or the like vs. someone with a bit more discretion.

Who cares?

I have to agree with this. It really bugs me when people post things like this to a forum as it simply cloggs the discussion for more meaningful things.

i tend to be somewhat rude in my posts, its just the nature of the person I am. =D

~Shard~
Oct 28, 2004, 05:44 PM
Is there anyway I can get rid of the "newbie" title by my name without posting some number of times?

Hey, who let a newbie in here? :p :cool:

~Shard~
Oct 28, 2004, 05:45 PM

Actually, the types of newbs I'm after are the ones who spend apparently no effort in researching an issue, or do something that gets them into trouble without taking the necessary precautions, and are at their own fault for the action. I think I've called Capt. Underpants a newb at one point for one of the three reasons, even when he had over 500 posts and an avatar.

Note: Concrete definition of newb outside of MacRumors definition still undergoing experimentation and further testing.

I hear ya King Cobra Ė Iím surprised I havenít been banned for some of my newbie-bashing. ;) Of course, I try and be a bastard to idiot posters on these forums in general, so I canít say I play favorites as much as you. Nonetheless, I often find the newbies the easiest prey, generally speaking... But yah, basically it comes down to people behaving like idiots, posting nonsense, etc. that annoys me, whether theyíre a newbie or a Demi-God. (The only difference is I donít start bashing the Demi-Gods in that case...) ;) :cool:

~Shard~
Oct 28, 2004, 05:47 PM
Q: How do I get rid of the "Macrumors newbie" title?

A: Be a post whore. You nebie title will magically change to "Banned".

:D ;)

I always have to shake my head when I see newbies doing that, because it happens SO BLOODY OFTEN. If only a couple people did it here and there, fine, whatever, but I seem to always come across newbies who are simply bumping up their post count with useless one-liners. One of their favorite tactics seems to be going through all the old poll questions and quickly replying to all of them. ;)

redAPPLE
Oct 29, 2004, 11:55 AM
Edit: Sorry, one more thing. Not to pick on you, but you didn't have a single post between December 2003 and July 2004. It just seems curious that in all those days, you visited Macrumors daily (by your own assertion) and yet didn't have a single thing to contribute? Again, not picking on you necessarily, just noting how odd that is.[/QUOTE]

well we all have been newbs before (like a poster indicated). i think it is better to only post, if the poster has something to say. and no half-a$$ed comment. if i posted in every thread i read, then my inbox would be full "of macrumors spam". i post to threads i care.

i agree that the system is ok, as is.

edesignuk
Oct 29, 2004, 11:57 AM
One of their favorite tactics seems to be going through all the old poll questions and quickly replying to all of them. ;)Now you've gone and given the game away to all those that hadn't thought of doing that :eek:

~Shard~
Oct 29, 2004, 04:08 PM
Now you've gone and given the game away to all those that hadn't thought of doing that :eek:

Just means more of the troublesome newbies will be banned - I'm alright with that. :cool:

IDANNY
Oct 30, 2004, 04:29 AM
How is somebody a guest on macrumors Like Neserk in this post. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=37092
I was just reading what people where saying about the titles and I see this guy.His title is he a guest. I never saw that title before. He has over 500 posts should he be a macrumors 6502.

crap freakboy
Oct 30, 2004, 08:07 AM
This must be one of the dullest threads ever. No offence.
Personally if I havent anything informative to add to a thread I dont post, simple as that (yes, I can see the irony in this post). It doesnt bother me that I have a low post count nor should it bother anyone else if their count is low. There are plenty of high posters who don't really add too much to this community, as well as low posters whos opinion I value much more than theirs. As with most forums you eventually know which posters to listen to and those to treat as thread fillers. Unfortunately I think I fall into the latter category. :D

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2004, 08:16 AM
How is somebody a guest on macrumors Like Neserk in this post. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=37092
I was just reading what people where saying about the titles and I see this guy.His title is he a guest. I never saw that title before. He has over 500 posts should he be a macrumors 6502.

I believe that Guests do not have to fully register with MacRumors, thereby being guests. There would be nothing stopping them from posting lots like this guy though. That's my understanding of it at least. (Don't know why a Guest with 500+ posts wouldn't register though!)

Mr. Anderson
Oct 30, 2004, 08:17 AM

Neserk was banned and for some they get the guest status. Its nothing special.

D

James L
Oct 30, 2004, 10:01 AM
The only way that titles cause problems is when too much importance is assigned to them. :)

I agree. People who feel better about themselves because of a title given to them on an internet, virtual bulletin board really need to re-think... I think.

Read the site. Enjoy the site. Contribute to the site. Who cares what you are called?

:D

IDANNY
Oct 30, 2004, 02:37 PM
I believe that Guests do not have to fully register with MacRumors, thereby being guests. There would be nothing stopping them from posting lots like this guy though. That's my understanding of it at least. (Don't know why a Guest with 500+ posts wouldn't register though!)

Thanks for clearing that up.