Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
King Cobra said:
Unlike edesignuk, I treat newbs like s*** compared to everyone else. Take a long look at the first line in my sig. :D

Actually, the types of newbs I'm after are the ones who spend apparently no effort in researching an issue, or do something that gets them into trouble without taking the necessary precautions, and are at their own fault for the action. I think I've called Capt. Underpants a newb at one point for one of the three reasons, even when he had over 500 posts and an avatar.

Note: Concrete definition of newb outside of MacRumors definition still undergoing experimentation and further testing.

I hear ya King Cobra – I’m surprised I haven’t been banned for some of my newbie-bashing. ;) Of course, I try and be a bastard to idiot posters on these forums in general, so I can’t say I play favorites as much as you. Nonetheless, I often find the newbies the easiest prey, generally speaking... But yah, basically it comes down to people behaving like idiots, posting nonsense, etc. that annoys me, whether they’re a newbie or a Demi-God. (The only difference is I don’t start bashing the Demi-Gods in that case...) ;) :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
musicpyrite said:
Q: How do I get rid of the "Macrumors newbie" title?

A: Be a post whore. You nebie title will magically change to "Banned".

:D ;)

I always have to shake my head when I see newbies doing that, because it happens SO BLOODY OFTEN. If only a couple people did it here and there, fine, whatever, but I seem to always come across newbies who are simply bumping up their post count with useless one-liners. One of their favorite tactics seems to be going through all the old poll questions and quickly replying to all of them. ;)

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Edit: Sorry, one more thing. Not to pick on you, but you didn't have a single post between December 2003 and July 2004. It just seems curious that in all those days, you visited Macrumors daily (by your own assertion) and yet didn't have a single thing to contribute? Again, not picking on you necessarily, just noting how odd that is.[/QUOTE]

well we all have been newbs before (like a poster indicated). i think it is better to only post, if the poster has something to say. and no half-a$$ed comment. if i posted in every thread i read, then my inbox would be full "of macrumors spam". i post to threads i care.

i agree that the system is ok, as is.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
~Shard~ said:
One of their favorite tactics seems to be going through all the old poll questions and quickly replying to all of them. ;)
Now you've gone and given the game away to all those that hadn't thought of doing that :eek:

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
This must be one of the dullest threads ever. No offence.
Personally if I havent anything informative to add to a thread I dont post, simple as that (yes, I can see the irony in this post). It doesnt bother me that I have a low post count nor should it bother anyone else if their count is low. There are plenty of high posters who don't really add too much to this community, as well as low posters whos opinion I value much more than theirs. As with most forums you eventually know which posters to listen to and those to treat as thread fillers. Unfortunately I think I fall into the latter category. :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
IDANNY said:
How is somebody a guest on macrumors Like Neserk in this post. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/37092/
I was just reading what people where saying about the titles and I see this guy.His title is he a guest. I never saw that title before. He has over 500 posts should he be a macrumors 6502.

I believe that Guests do not have to fully register with MacRumors, thereby being guests. There would be nothing stopping them from posting lots like this guy though. That's my understanding of it at least. (Don't know why a Guest with 500+ posts wouldn't register though!)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
IDANNY said:
How is somebody a guest on macrumors Like Neserk in this post. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/37092/
I was just reading what people where saying about the titles and I see this guy.His title is he a guest. I never saw that title before. He has over 500 posts should he be a macrumors 6502.

Neserk was banned and for some they get the guest status. Its nothing special.

D

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
rueyeet said:
The only way that titles cause problems is when too much importance is assigned to them. :)

I agree. People who feel better about themselves because of a title given to them on an internet, virtual bulletin board really need to re-think... I think.

Read the site. Enjoy the site. Contribute to the site. Who cares what you are called?

:D

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
~Shard~ said:
I believe that Guests do not have to fully register with MacRumors, thereby being guests. There would be nothing stopping them from posting lots like this guy though. That's my understanding of it at least. (Don't know why a Guest with 500+ posts wouldn't register though!)

Thanks for clearing that up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.