Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeusOmnis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Two years ago I got a Dual 1.0 GHz MDD G4 with an nVidia GeForce 4 4800 Ti.

This year my younger brother got a Dual 2.5 GHz G5 with an nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra. However, it originally came with a Radeon 9600XT because they could not ship the 6800 quick enough.

Since I help him out with his computer quite a bit, he gave the 9600XT to me since he didnt need it anymore. However, I'm pretty sure it wont work in my computer, and I really didnt want to just stick it in and find out. Does anyone know if it will work with my computer? Or no?

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
from these specs , it doesn't look like you can use it with your MDD.

you could however, eBay it, and use the money towards a card that you can use with your MDD

good luck
V.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
DeusOmnis said:
=(

has anyone tried it?

Nobody has tried it as for as I know.

I don't think it would be an improvement over your Ti-4600 anyways... :cool:

You could still try it, though, and let others in your situation know if it works. This is a fairly common question.

The only things I'm worried about are if the card is 4x AGP compatible and if the G4 power supply can handle it... I just don't know...

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
I would be careful about saying it 'doesnt work'

I successfully use a 9600 Pro out of my G5 in a DA 133 bus DP533.

You need to tape pins 3 and 11 which force it into AGP4x mode. Do not know if your card is the same (being an XT) but I would bet it is.

This has been discussed elsewhere here... search for G4 and 9600

http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=71

the one user (on techseekers) who could not make it work, still does not understand the ADC connector (as it will not be useable). only the DVI out works without the power connection mod, as discussed on that site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.