Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I have a Dual 1 gig QuickSilver machine with 1 gig of RAM OS 10.3.

I shut down the Mac a few days ago while I was out of town. When I returned last night, I cannot boot the machine. The power light glows and the Mac makes a slight 'click' and that is it. No fans, no hard drives, nothing.

I checked all my cables and opened the box to take a peek. Again, when I press the power button, it glows for a second, and the logic board has two LEDS that flash briefly, and the CPU fan briefly whirs to life and then it turns off.

I checked all internal and external cables. All seems fine.

It is acting like a power supply problem or internal short or safety is preventing it from progressing in the boot. Is this possible? How do I reset this?

Up until last night, this Machine was solid as a rock with no problems at all. No new instals, software updates, or hardware changes have been made in quite some time. I have removed all attached devices except for Apple keyboard and mouse and no luck either.

Any thoughts?

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
A friend of mine had this same issue. I seem to recall that resetting the power supply solved the problem. Did you notice a reset button when you opened the case?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
I recall that Edesignuk has a very similar problem a while back on his Quicksilver of similar specification. If I see him on AIM tonight I will point him toward this thread.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I am not with the Mac right now. I did reset the CUDA switch on the main board. But I admit I only pressed it briefly. I am not aware of an actual power supply reset. I will look into it.

Thanks

JonGraves

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2003
Seattle WA, USA
Motherboard battery?

Hey seamuskrat,
Could it be a motherboard battery issue? Try pulling it, blowing the dust bunnies off and reseating it. If that does not work you might want to replace it anyway.

Jon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.