PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Announces Completion of 3G Enhancement Project in New York City

MacRumors
Jun 28, 2010, 12:12 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/28/atandt-announces-completion-of-3g-enhancement-project-in-new-york-city/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/06/28/131138-att_logo.jpg

AT&T today announced (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ATT-Expands-Wireless-Capacity-prnews-2500288140.html?x=0) the completion of a project to enhance performance of its much-maligned 3G network in Manhattan and other areas of New York City.As a result of this upgrade, customers in these areas are expected to experience improved 3G wireless voice and data connectivity and performance, especially during peak hours.

The network enhancement includes the addition of new layers of frequency, also known as "carriers," to more efficiently manage available spectrum and increase 3G capacity. The additions have been applied to nearly all cell sites in Manhattan and in other areas as needed throughout the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn. The result is an increased allocation of network resources for AT&T's 3G network to support ever-growing demand for mobile broadband services.The press release notes that the company has added an additional layer of 850 MHz spectrum coverage in these areas, increasing capacity and in-building performance. As a result, AT&T's internal measurement systems have shown two consecutive quarters of improving voice quality, with Manhattan in particular experiencing a 47% quarter-over-quarter improvement earlier this year as a result of the project.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Completion of 3G Enhancement Project in New York City (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/28/atandt-announces-completion-of-3g-enhancement-project-in-new-york-city/)

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 28, 2010, 12:21 PM
HA HA THATS FUNNY

but that means manhattan right because here in staten island ny i get service everywhere but my house, i step out of my house onto the sidewalk wow full service. lol

wongster41
Jun 28, 2010, 12:27 PM
3G Enhancement Project in New York City... if you're holding your iPhone 4 the 'right way'

room237
Jun 28, 2010, 12:43 PM
Funny, I STILL hit a dead zone every single day at the Queensboro Plaza area, which is a major transportation hub in Queens, entrance to the 59th St Bridge, and where they have like a dozen condo buildings going up. Data is nonexistent for two entire stops on the N train. And they say they've completed the project?

SeanMcg
Jun 28, 2010, 12:43 PM
HA HA THATS FUNNY

but that means manhattan right because here in staten island ny i get service everywhere but my house, i step out of my house onto the sidewalk wow full service. lol

Your house wasn't designed by someone named Faraday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage) by any chance, was it? :D

justflie
Jun 28, 2010, 12:45 PM
HA HA THATS FUNNY

My aunt's house is the same way. I think it has something to do with the siding on the house. Great signal outside and only 0-1 bars inside.

phineas
Jun 28, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hmmmm, thinking Android and Verizon, or iPhone and Verizon.

AT&T is just NOT cutting it anymore.

And NOW if you hold the iPhone the "WRONG" way your signal dies. WTF?

If it aint Apple screwing things up its AT&T, if its not AT&T it's Apple

doctoree
Jun 28, 2010, 01:18 PM
HA HA THATS FUNNY

You use a mobile phone at home?

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 28, 2010, 01:19 PM
its really bad in my house, i literally get service everywhere but there. it fluctuates so much, it like either 0 bars or like 3 mostly 0 tho. but its better than t-moble we had service no where, we had to like walk down the block to get service. and no i don't use it my phone at home except for maybe texts but its still annoying ill still get calls from my cell tho.

mattwolfmatt
Jun 28, 2010, 01:25 PM
Hmmmm, thinking Android and Verizon, or iPhone and Verizon.

AT&T is just NOT cutting it anymore.

If it aint Apple screwing things up its AT&T, if its not AT&T it's Apple

Don't hold your breath for iPhone and Verizon. I went to Verizon recently; so glad I did. I can make and receive phone calls again (which, for me, is the primary function of a phone).

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 28, 2010, 01:30 PM

I don't see the point of paying $135/month for two cell phones, then paying another $25+ every month for a landline. Mobile phones should work inside, but like some others here, my service in my home is questionable, at best, on my iPhone 3G.

keyofnight
Jun 28, 2010, 01:48 PM
I don't see the point of paying $135/month for two cell phones, then paying another $25+ every month for a landline. Mobile phones should work inside, but like some others here, my service in my home is questionable, at best, on my iPhone 3G.

I feel that. I definitely don't use a landline at home, and I can't imagine paying for one in the future.

diesel
Jun 28, 2010, 02:04 PM
As someone who works in manhattan, i still get dodgy service from AT&T

tk421
Jun 28, 2010, 02:06 PM

Doesn't everybody? (at least everybody 30 and younger)

violaboy
Jun 28, 2010, 02:11 PM
I feel that. I definitely don't use a landline at home, and I can't imagine paying for one in the future.

People still use landlines? Pay phones? How about those cool long distance calling cards? :confused:

haha

NYC has too many things in the way, I'm surprised any cell signals work with all of the concrete towers. The city should just put Wi-Fi everywhere and allow us to make phone calls (not Skype) over Wi-Fi. A new app: iCall

Actually, lets save some of our tax dollars we are gifting to countries overseas and build wi-fi towers for our whole country! :D

I'd gladly pay $800 (maybe more) for my phone if it meant that I didn't have to be a slave to the phone companies!

dissdnt
Jun 28, 2010, 02:12 PM
Super, now can they do upstate NY. Ugh.

WPB2
Jun 28, 2010, 02:16 PM

I haven't had a home (land) line in 5 years. Most of my friends don't either, unless it's for their alarm system.

Ted13
Jun 28, 2010, 02:22 PM
I see this as bad news -- there has been a slow deterioration since the service improved in lower Manhattan at the beginning of 2010. And with waves of new iPad and iPhone customers coming on board, things will go downhill fast if AT&T is dumb enough to think that's its job in Manhattan/NYC is done.

Maybe they are planning for the day iPhone exclusivity ends and two thirds of the users leave for other carriers. Yup, that may be the only way to finally fix AT&T's network.

AT&T -- detached from reality.

dedashort
Jun 28, 2010, 02:27 PM
Your house wasn't designed by someone named Faraday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage) by any chance, was it? :D

Famous fellow, but he evidently had a less well known sideline as a plasterer so he could test out his theories. At least that's one way of explaining the disastrous effect on reception of walls made out of stuff like this:

http://www.amico-lath.com/lath/diamond_metal_lath.htm

All those 20th century East Coast buildings? Wrapped in it.

prashy21
Jun 28, 2010, 02:35 PM
has anyone experienced this ?
I am only seeing it today.

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 28, 2010, 02:39 PM
has anyone experienced this ?
I am only seeing it today.

The clock on my iPhone has been 3-4 minutes slow for about two weeks now.

JNGold
Jun 28, 2010, 02:49 PM
Funny, I STILL hit a dead zone every single day at the Queensboro Plaza area, which is a major transportation hub in Queens, entrance to the 59th St Bridge, and where they have like a dozen condo buildings going up. Data is nonexistent for two entire stops on the N train. And they say they've completed the project?

Yep, hit that same dead spot from about a block away from the bridge entrance to more than a couple of blocks heading east on Northern Blvd.

SeanMcg
Jun 28, 2010, 02:51 PM
Famous fellow, but he evidently had a less well known sideline as a plasterer so he could test out his theories. At least that's one way of explaining the disastrous effect on reception of walls made out of stuff like this:

http://www.amico-lath.com/lath/diamond_metal_lath.htm

All those 20th century East Coast buildings? Wrapped in it.

All so companies like this (http://www.repeaterstore.com/news/causes-of-bad-cell-signal-and-can-a-repeater-help/)can exist...

huntercr
Jun 28, 2010, 02:51 PM
its really bad in my house, i literally get service everywhere but there. it fluctuates so much, it like either 0 bars or like 3 mostly 0 tho. but its better than t-moble we had service no where, we had to like walk down the block to get service. and no i don't use it my phone at home except for maybe texts but its still annoying ill still get calls from my cell tho.

Ever think about getting the At&T microcell? It worked great for me ( well, I don't have At&T but do live in a major deadspot )

Consultant
Jun 28, 2010, 02:52 PM
AT&T: says NOT COMPLETED YET
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/06/28/att.says.850mhz.more.all.done.in.nyc/

goobot
Jun 28, 2010, 02:53 PM
people here really dont have land lines? o and the fact you dont get service in your house att cant do anything about unless you buy a microcell due to the way your house was built.

JNGold
Jun 28, 2010, 03:25 PM
Well in downtown Manhattan, 3G has practically slowed down to a crawl today. I have seen other forums where people are acknowledging the same thing.

Way to go AT&T!

xerenthar
Jun 28, 2010, 03:42 PM
wait, lol, people have land lines? do those come with the 500 hours of free aol on that floppy disk?

manhattanboy
Jun 28, 2010, 04:19 PM
As someone who works in manhattan, i still get dodgy service from AT&T
Agreed.
the EDGE service in Manhattan IS improved but 3G still blows bigtime. And let's not even talk about other areas. Try using an AT&T phone to call someone in B's Ikea!!!

I see this as bad news -- there has been a slow deterioration since the service improved in lower Manhattan at the beginning of 2010. And with waves of new iPad and iPhone customers coming on board, things will go downhill fast if AT&T is dumb enough to think that's its job in Manhattan/NYC is done.

Maybe they are planning for the day iPhone exclusivity ends and two thirds of the users leave for other carriers. Yup, that may be the only way to finally fix AT&T's network.

AT&T -- detached from reality.

Agreed. Although I think AT&T realizes the situation is like the oil spill in the gulf... their now trying to contain the damage by switching to capped data plans.

whickey
Jun 28, 2010, 04:31 PM
AT&T: says NOT COMPLETED YET
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/06/28/att.says.850mhz.more.all.done.in.nyc/

yah...these upgrades aren't done..from my midtown office, service still sucks and every time I go over the williamsburg bridge, right before I hit the city I always drop my call unless I am going like 50 miles an hour on the bridge (which doesn't happen on a weekday morning)

bruinselmann
Jun 28, 2010, 04:34 PM
Folks, the whole discussion is pointless since the article was corrected and now merely states that the 3G improvements in the NYC area are in fact not finished at all.

Greetings from a bus stop in Hamburg, Germany, where I'm currently indulging in full 3G reception.

eoblaed
Jun 28, 2010, 05:12 PM

An issue that's growing tired and has been blown way, WAY out of proportion. I can only speak anecdotally, of course, but the four iPhone 4's in my immediate family are working brilliantly and none of my co-workers that managed to score the new hardware have complained about call stability. We share quite a few fun 'war stories' about how we're using the new capabilities, and the whole 'grip of death' has been discussed, but none of us are experiencing problems with making/receiving/maintaining calls.

Dainin
Jun 28, 2010, 05:32 PM
My house was a deadzone as well, I bought a 3g Microcell.

ChrisGonzales90
Jun 28, 2010, 06:14 PM
HA HA THATS FUNNY

Arnt you 15?

mdntcallr
Jun 28, 2010, 06:25 PM
Fantastic!! ATT announces completion of its upgrade and allegedly fixing for New York City. which is only 468.9 sq mi

Less if you take the outer boroughs out of the equation.

Why not also help Los Angeles??? i am getting sick of dropped calls, no access to Data at all sometimes and more.

At&T sucks, if they don't improve soon, im taking a hike to Verizon, T-Mobile or Sprint as soon as Iphone is avail elsewhere.

thebez
Jun 28, 2010, 06:56 PM
Fantastic!! ATT announces completion of its upgrade and allegedly fixing for New York City. which is only 468.9 sq mi

Less if you take the outer boroughs out of the equation.

Why not also help Los Angeles??? i am getting sick of dropped calls, no access to Data at all sometimes and more.

At&T sucks, if they don't improve soon, im taking a hike to Verizon, T-Mobile or Sprint as soon as Iphone is avail elsewhere.

Switch to another smartphone and leave now. It will not take long for you to realize that the iPhone and AT&T are severely limiting, especially in Los Angeles.

typeoserv
Jun 28, 2010, 07:26 PM
yah...these upgrades aren't done..from my midtown office, service still sucks and every time I go over the williamsburg bridge, right before I hit the city I always drop my call unless I am going like 50 miles an hour on the bridge (which doesn't happen on a weekday morning)

i get that the opposite way.. no service around Marcy Ave, but its fine going into the city (on train)

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 28, 2010, 07:43 PM
My house was a deadzone as well, I bought a 3g Microcell.

I wonder how long it will be before AT&T starts giving them away with an extended contract. Talk about taking a load off their network...

deannnnn
Jun 28, 2010, 08:13 PM
Well I'm out of the city May-August so I'd love to see some serious improvement when I get back up there in September.

Not keeping my hopes up.

I was thinking about switching to Verizon but I've decided to get the iPhone 4 and a landline instead. Sad that I have to make that choice.

fkntotalkaos
Jun 28, 2010, 08:26 PM
Sucks I had to buy an HTC EVO just to provide Data/ mobile wifi 4G to my iphone. Get on the ball At&t, 3g is Junk. I hit 5.5 mps D/L speed posing this from mobile hotspot

dedashort
Jun 28, 2010, 08:50 PM
All so companies like this (http://www.repeaterstore.com/news/causes-of-bad-cell-signal-and-can-a-repeater-help/)can exist...

Yup. Or, to make it a bit more personal, good old Mom (http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/).

Actually, I have a zBoost. It did help, but in a perverse enough way that I gave up on it in this (old & partially stucco'ed) house. I wound up with some little micro-zones of excellent signal and a few of none. And they either moved around or I was obsessing enough to become spiritualist.

Radio is tricky. 850Mhz and 1900Mhz behave differently. It would take neat tech to cover skyscraper cities well.

bytethese
Jun 28, 2010, 09:20 PM
That would explain why I went from 0-1 bars to 4-5 bars in my apt. I also noticed that on the street, seems to work well. Yankees games? I still have some issues, but 47,000 people tend to weigh on the towers I suppose. :)

itsmenyc
Jun 28, 2010, 11:27 PM

I only use my cell phone at home. I only use my landline for faxes.

Boomhowler
Jun 29, 2010, 05:31 AM
Sucks I had to buy an HTC EVO just to provide Data/ mobile wifi 4G to my iphone. Get on the ball At&t, 3g is Junk. I hit 5.5 mps D/L speed posing this from mobile hotspot

On wifi? That's not really mobile, is it.

I sure hope for you americans that ATT are hurrying with introducing real 4G for you. Appearantly they have a huge LTE-deal already in the pipe so you can get a great 100Mbps cellphone network (already up and running by TeliaSonera in Stockholm and Oslo.

http://www.intomobile.com/2009/12/15/first-benchmarks-from-worlds-first-commercial-lte-network-arrive-37-ms-ping-5-3-mbps-up-43/

This is till holding and improving showing average (yes average) DL speed of 15-20Mbps today.

also, notice that latency.

Another note, remember that reception is not everything. Even if you have good signal strength, the physical (backbone?) network could be so crowded with users so you don't fit in there. Although, if you have bad reception it won't really matter how congested the rest of the network is ;D

williedigital
Jun 29, 2010, 06:21 AM
wait, lol, people have land lines? do those come with the 500 hours of free aol on that floppy disk?

I work for a company that conducts phone surveys for govt. projects. From the latest numbers, approx. 20% of households in the US are now "cell phone only". This % has tripled since 5 years ago, and doubled just within the last 18 months. The number is over 50% in most of Europe. It's a serious problem for doing surveys, as there is no "bank" of cell phone numbers tied to an address and the rules for dialing cell phones are very different (no autodialers). Many companies are moving toward using online panels to replace phone surveys, as recent studies are showing the representativeness of those outpacing traditional phone surveys. Expect the accuracy of opinion and political polls to diminish considerably over the next 10 years as phone survey accuracy fades and web survey accuracy improves.

Shasterball
Jun 29, 2010, 07:50 AM

iPhone 3G? Do you get poor reception on your telegraph too? ;)

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 29, 2010, 09:27 AM
iPhone 3G? Do you get poor reception on your telegraph too? ;)

Some folks like their $300 investments to last longer than a year :rolleyes:

Bono2Beagle
Jun 29, 2010, 01:58 PM
Yep, hit that same dead spot from about a block away from the bridge entrance to more than a couple of blocks heading east on Northern Blvd.

Me three. You'd think with all of those new buildings going up they would sell some tower space to AT&T.

I hit that "Mark the Spot APP" at least a couple of times a week.

Annoying.

rquick
Jun 29, 2010, 03:10 PM
I work for a company that conducts phone surveys for govt. projects. From the latest numbers, approx. 20% of households in the US are now "cell phone only". This % has tripled since 5 years ago, and doubled just within the last 18 months. The number is over 50% in most of Europe. It's a serious problem for doing surveys, as there is no "bank" of cell phone numbers tied to an address and the rules for dialing cell phones are very different (no autodialers). Many companies are moving toward using online panels to replace phone surveys, as recent studies are showing the representativeness of those outpacing traditional phone surveys. Expect the accuracy of opinion and political polls to diminish considerably over the next 10 years as phone survey accuracy fades and web survey accuracy improves.

In what universe do polls and accuracy have anything to do with each other?

TuckBodi
Jun 29, 2010, 03:57 PM
what AT$T says ≠ what AT$T does

chic
Jun 29, 2010, 10:15 PM
3G Enhancement Project in New York City... if you're holding your iPhone 4 the 'right way'

Or for most of us, we're not living/working/standing/facing/sitting in the right place that they did the upgrade.

I have an L shape desk, I turn to face my computer and I get half reception. I turn to the other side and connection is gone.

e-coli
Jun 30, 2010, 12:34 PM
Ironically enough the most consistent drop-out zone in Manhattan is anywhere within 5 blocks of the Verizon headquarters, and continues to be.

heisetax
Jul 1, 2010, 04:49 PM
Sprint already has 4G service in Chicago, Kansas CIty & many other towns. AT&T is finally getting 3G up. Maybe they can work on 4G in a few years. How about a 2020 roll out?

RickieVz
Jul 6, 2010, 08:25 PM
AT&T sent me a txt saying that it upgrade service in my area about 2 weeks ago and they really did. In Queens, NY on Queens Blvd between Rego Park and Elmhurst, I would lose the Pandora connection. About two days after the txt, I notice the connection never dropped.

Nice to know that AT&T "Mark the Spot" app really works..

Gasu E.
Jul 8, 2010, 07:46 AM

Make that 60 and below. People 30 and below tend to have no land lines; people 30-60 typically use their cell phones everywhere, but may keep a land line as a backup.

Joel Horn
Jul 9, 2010, 05:25 PM
I spend a lot of time in New York.

Before the upgrade of service I probably dropped over 50% of my calls. I would often go back to the hotel to make important calls from the landline in my room because the iPhone was so terrible.

Last week I spent three days in New York and did find the service better but still unacceptable. I probably was dropped only 20% of the time but it was still too unreliable to start a serious business call.

I love the iPhone and will keep using it but not for serious business calls in New York City.