Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccsimard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
love my e-mac...but i recently noticed a couple scratches
on the white glossy finish, near the right speaker...not deep ones, just enough for me to notice...

now i wonder, do any e-mac users out there have recommendations
on what to use to get rid of these scratches?

i've googled and found a product called 'i-cleaner' - not sure though if it'll work on my e-mac...

any advice you could offer for me to maintain my lovely new e-mac would be great...

thanks!!!

:)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
You could try a product called 'Brasso', if they have it where you live.

It's a slightly abrasive metal polisher that I used to use to put a finish on resin casts, also have successfully used it on CDs that have been too scratched to read.

Just apply a couple of drops, grab a soft cloth and have a go.

Whatever you try, do an experimental patch on the bottom of the machine, where you'd never see it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
realityisterror said:
does this "brasso" work effectively on the front or back of an ipod??

reality
Same material, polycarbonate.

Which is a rather easy to scratch surface, which is why the lenses in eyewear has the anti-scratch coating.

ccsimard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
hmmm...

will Brasso work on an emac? it's not metal...it's white plastic - like the original ipods....

i can give it a try if you think it'll work, i'm in canada...winnipeg (winterpeg) manitoba...may have the stuff around here, i'll look around..

thanks!

:)

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
i have used brasso for metal and stuff (like its originally intended for) but i also have used it on plastic. I scratched my brothers new plastic drinking glass with a scourer when doing the washing up. It was a kinda soft plastic and it was scratched pretty badly. I tried brasso on it and it worked a treat. It has tiny abrassive bits in it that gradually wear away at the surface. Just use a tissue (or if you are american) a kleenex and a little bit of brasso and do it little by little. Too much and it might do more harm that good. Anyway i have heard it mentioned for several times too use on an iPod and on iBooks etc. So i'd say that its definately worth a try.

But don't sue us if it scratches your eMac to buggery!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.