PDA

View Full Version : iPad Battery Starts to Weaken after a few Months

Steviejobz
Jun 30, 2010, 06:51 PM
I used to be able to leave my iPad at 100% overnight and I'd wake up and it still would be at 100%. I could go a day and it would remain at 100%.

Now overnight, I am losing 4-5% and about 15% over 18 hours.

Not the only one affected by this. I do not have Push services on at all.

Figbash Acrobat
Jun 30, 2010, 06:59 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I'm not qualifying this by any measure, but I do sense that battery life isn't as awesome as it was at first (though it's still pretty good).

Steviejobz
Jun 30, 2010, 07:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I'm not qualifying this by any measure, but I do sense that battery life isn't as awesome as it was at first (though it's still pretty good).

I guess battery cant hold 100% like it used to

Angryipadguy
Jun 30, 2010, 07:33 PM
I have noticed this. I have never been able to get 10 hours but I'm lucky if I get 6hours now. I use mine for about 4 hours a night and I will have anything from 20-40% left when I put it back onto charge. Also that's with screen brightness on about 1/4th. I guess I would be lucky to get 5 ours on full brightness!

Figbash Acrobat
Jul 1, 2010, 01:18 AM
I guess battery cant hold 100% like it used to

Yeah, it deteriorates. But after 2-3 months?

Fonzmeister
Jul 1, 2010, 02:37 AM
Are you guys j/k? Already with weak battery?

Damn, this scares me! Battery lifespan should improve, since the battery pack is composed by two batteries.

How many charges Apple said the iPad should take? I was thinking at least 600...

pooryou
Jul 1, 2010, 03:24 AM
Turning Bluetooth on would cause this.

Compile 'em all
Jul 1, 2010, 03:26 AM
I have the same feeling too. Or may be I am just imagining things.

Julien
Jul 1, 2010, 06:21 AM
I used to be able to leave my iPad at 100% overnight and I'd wake up and it still would be at 100%. I could go a day and it would remain at 100%.

Here is a site (http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm) with all the battery info you could ever need.

No maintenance needed. Loses capacity due to aging whether used or not. (http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-21.htm)

jimHdk
Jul 1, 2010, 06:31 AM

My iPad is 11 weeks old and shows no loss overnight.

DoFoT9
Jul 1, 2010, 06:44 AM
My iPad seems to be gradually lasting less and less, I hope there is a way to replace it because I fear what will happen at the end of a year or two!

General battery rules, never let them go fully flat, store at 50% charge for long periods of time, fully cycle (discharge) once every 30 cycles.
:)

kevinbal
Jul 1, 2010, 07:29 AM
Well, I just checked my iPad over night and I'm still at 100%. I don't use bluetooth but email is set to push, wi-fi version.

I think the "omg dis battry is teh sux!" that is about to happen is a little premature. Check your settings? Do you have any fetch accounts for email? Is gmail trying to check every 15, 30 minutes? Is bluetooth continually trying to connect? Is something off with your wi-fi settings?

ventmore
Jul 1, 2010, 07:37 AM
From the iPad battery info page (http://www.apple.com/uk/batteries/ipad.html):

Charge Cycles
A properly maintained iPad battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

Shoesy
Jul 1, 2010, 07:46 AM
General battery rules, never let them go fully flat, store at 50% charge for long periods of time, fully cycle (discharge) once every 30 cycles.

What is the difference between 'go fully flat' and 'fully cycle (discharge)'. I'm getting mixed massages here.

MrWillie
Jul 1, 2010, 07:56 AM
I run mine down to below 10% before I recharge. Less than 10% drop per hour when in use. I also shut my unit off in the evening.

It has to be an app using push notifications, or the Feds tapped into your iPad and the mic is transmitting all your conversations to the CIA. And people want a camera on all their devices...

Sent from my iPad (Its one with the duct tape across the top.)

Its not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

Jul 1, 2010, 07:59 AM
I was thinking it was getting a bit weak too.
Seems it at 100% then 80% in less then a hour.
Glad I was able to get Applecare for 39.00 from a friend.

bowlerman625
Jul 1, 2010, 08:17 AM
My iPad is 11 weeks old and shows no loss overnight.

Same for the 2 we have at our house!

toypadlock
Jul 1, 2010, 08:17 AM
I'm getting mixed massages here.

pervert

MrWillie
Jul 1, 2010, 09:20 AM
I was thinking it was getting a bit weak too.
Seems it at 100% then 80% in less then a hour.
Glad I was able to get Applecare for 39.00 from a friend.

Are you sure it's less than an hour? Time seems to fly when using tha iPad. Also, what are your charging habits? Let it fully discharge then charge a couple of times. I have also heard stories about people restoring their iPads and it fixed their problem.

Manatee
Jul 1, 2010, 10:20 AM
I've found that keeping Bluetooth on and keeping the display very bright makes a big difference in battery life.

richpjr
Jul 1, 2010, 10:42 AM
My iPad seems to be gradually lasting less and less, I hope there is a way to replace it because I fear what will happen at the end of a year or two!

I somewhere read that Apple recommends a 100% battery discharge once per month for optimum battery performance and accuracy of the battery level.

mattdam
Jul 1, 2010, 10:50 AM
As someone else mentioned, you probably downloaded an app with notifications that is wasting battery life. Words with Friends notifications could wipe out an iPhone battery in a few hours when it was originally released. Disable as many notifications as you can and you will likely see an improvement.

Steviejobz
Jul 1, 2010, 04:28 PM
As someone else mentioned, you probably downloaded an app with notifications that is wasting battery life. Words with Friends notifications could wipe out an iPhone battery in a few hours when it was originally released. Disable as many notifications as you can and you will likely see an improvement.

Interesting, I have Words With Friends installed but haven't played it in a few weeks. Can you explain why notifications would run battery power if I'm not playing any games where I'd need to be notified about?

AC Rempt
Jul 1, 2010, 04:34 PM
I bought mine maybe a week or two after launch, and the battery is still working fine and shows no loss of charge or capacity. Maybe it would help to list models and uses.

Mine is a 16 GB Wi-Fi that I use for games, reading, writing, drawing and surfing the Web. The brightness is set at full, and I don't use Bluetooth.

atomicbatteries
Jul 1, 2010, 04:55 PM
no problems here, works as good as the day I got it. Run it down every so often and recharge.
If your having serious issues you should return it.

DoFoT9
Jul 1, 2010, 08:06 PM
What is the difference between 'go fully flat' and 'fully cycle (discharge)'. I'm getting mixed massages here.
haha sorry. "go fully flat" is pretty much when the thing gets to 0%. in reality though the device will still have some reserve charge, of a few % (which we do not see). generally, if you leave the device at 0% for a few hours it will eventually completely go flat which is a "full cycle"

now, unfortunately there are things that further complicate this, a full cycle is generally considered a 100% combinatorial use of the battery. so if you charge to 100%, then discharge to 50%, charge to 100% and discharge to 50% again - that is considered 1 cycle (50%+50%=100%). if you charge to 100%, discharge to 25% 4 times over, that is another cycle (25%+25%+25%+25%+=100%). bit confusing - hope it explains itself :\

I somewhere read that Apple recommends a 100% battery discharge once per month for optimum battery performance and accuracy of the battery level.
yea that was my (discharge) every 30 cycles - assuming that you give it a cycle once per day. :)

Steviejobz
Jul 1, 2010, 09:00 PM
I may have found the issue. Will report findings later but I realized I installed the iPhone app for the Apple Store on my iPad recently. I deleted it an hour ago, have not used my iPad since and battery level has not changed even 1%. That app was one that had notifications enabled. I guess the iPad might have issues with iPhone only apps but ironic that Apple Store was giving me problems.

Will try another overnight charge tonight and see if I get any battery loss.

DoFoT9
Jul 1, 2010, 09:07 PM
aaahhhhhh glad you found it OP!! :D good to know :)

jreuschl
Jul 1, 2010, 09:35 PM
I will try deleting the Apple store app. I've noticed mine going down, too.

Mine was at 66% this evening and I think it was in the 90s before.

I also noticed the mail app was set to fetch for data even with it bring set to manual check. I don't know if that means anything either.

noles200
Jul 3, 2010, 04:22 PM

Does this really hurt battery life that much? So if I have the facebook app open and my email set up to push it kills the battery that much?

I have the same issue where I would show 45% battery, play an app (like angry birds) for 20 to 30 minutes and iPad would just turn off. Then I'd plug it in and check back in an hour and it would say charging but it would be up to like 60 to 65% or so. There is no way it would charge that quick.

Also, it would say 100% charged so I'd unplug and use for a little bit (not 2 hours for sure) and it would be down in the 70 to 80% range.

There's no rhyme or reason. No consistency with battery info. Doesn't seem to show correct. I'll try disabling mail and notifications but then why would they give us a product that can do that type of thing and not expect us to use it.

FirePak
Jul 3, 2010, 04:50 PM
I've had mine for about 2 months, i have noticed a difference Id say maybe 10/15% drop in battery life. It's not something I would consider a defect. I can still get almost 2 days out of it with moderate usage.

wrkn4livn
Sep 23, 2010, 10:18 AM

How does one fully charge if the advice is never supposed to go flat? Am I being picky? My iPad just started to go all the way down (2%) overnight. It's fully charged then in the morning, dead (2%). I had recently changed one email account to Fetch so I've turned it back to Manual. I'll see if this helps.

If Fetch kills the battery so quickly, why even have it as an option? It will kill the iPad while your out and about in a couple hours defeating the whole purpose of not having to lug the laptop out.

Is their a Fly in the Ointment?

phyrexia
Sep 23, 2010, 07:05 PM
had mine for 3 months, and it is attached to my hip so i need to charge every other day at the least. no issues here - and i am jailbroken and i multitask.

iThinman
Sep 23, 2010, 07:18 PM
3 months here. Jailbroken, backgrounder, circuitous, iWhiteboard, SSH, lockinfo and more running.

I use mine all day, everyday, at work and at home. I drain the battery everyday and sometimes give it a juice up midday, but only because i am anal about not letting it drop under 20% or so because I never know when I'm going to need to run with it for a few hours.

Usage includes web, jump desktop, docstogo on a regular basis and I background the audio for baseballs games through the MLB app quite a bit, as well as the occasional podcast.

I get 10% per hour drain under load, consistent from day-1. Easily the most impressive battery in any electronics device i have ever owned.

Consultant
Sep 23, 2010, 07:28 PM
No problem with mine either. Jailbroken iPad 3.2.1.

UCBruins
Sep 26, 2010, 01:22 PM
We've got two ipads and they have started to deplete much quicker than before. I noticed this and logged on to see if anyone has started a thread a out this.

So this will get interesting. We'll have to take them to apple to swap out batteries if that's going to ever be an option.

mosx
Sep 26, 2010, 01:44 PM
I have a launch day iPad. Battery is still just as good as the day it arrived. Can leave it unused for a couple of days with Push services enabled and its still at 100%. When I use it, it takes about an hour of heavy use for it to drop from 100% to 99%, and then after that its about 10% for every hour of heavy use.