Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dynalmadman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Vegas, baby!
I have been playing with a couple of RDP apps and have some questions. I am connecting my iPad with a PC laptop running Win7 ult with RDP enabled. I also enabled the net device to wake up the laptop in the device settings.

First, can any of them actually wake up a sleeping laptop? I tried it with Remote Desktop, but I always get a 'failed to send WOL packet' error.

Second, they all easily connect across my wifi network 192.168.x.x address, but say they can also connect via the Internet without using the google mail optiion. How is it that you find, and then use, the Internet IP address, vice my 192.168.x.x local address? And if you use that, will it still be as quick as using the local connection when I am home?

Thanks so much,
Michael

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have been playing with a couple of RDP apps and have some questions. I am connecting my iPad with a PC laptop running Win7 ult with RDP enabled.

First, can any of them actually wake up a sleeping laptop? I tried it with Remote Desktop, but I always get a 'failed to send WOL packet' error.

Second, they all easily connect across my wifi network 192.168.x.x address, but say they can also connect via the Internet without using the google mail optiion. How is it that you find, and then use, the Internet IP address, vice my 192.168.x.x local address? And if you use that, will it still be as quick as using the local connection when I am home?

Thanks so much,
Michael

Can't help you with the first part (I'm using Macs at home and my expertise here is limited to what I've learned going through a similar experience) but I may be able to help with the second issue. To connect remotely from outside your home network, you need to point your RD app to your router/modem's IP address (192.168.x.x are IP addresses for your devices within your network). To find this, either go to your router's configuration screen in your Internet browser or go to this website. You will also need to configure your router for port forwarding to your respective device(s) on your home network--I believe many apps have functionality built in to help auto configure this but honestly, I'm not certain.

Personally, I use Desktop Connect in conjunction with the same company's Easy Connect. Easy Connect is great because it allows Desktop Connect to automatically locate any computers on which you have the Easy Connect client installed by using your Google account. You can get more info about it here.

Hope you find some of this info useful. Good luck.

dynalmadman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Vegas, baby!
tbayrgs said:
To connect remotely from outside your home network, you need to point your RD app to your router/modem's IP address (192.168.x.x are IP addresses for your devices within your network). To find this, either go to your router's configuration screen in your Internet browser or go to this website. You will also need to configure your router for port forwarding to your respective device(s) on your home network--I believe many apps have functionality built in to help auto configure this but honestly, I'm not

Hope you find some of this info useful. Good luck.

This worked perfectly. I found the routers IP, enabled port forwarding on one port to my laptop and Jump connected first time.

Thank you very much. Just what I needed. Now I just need to figure out how to wake the laptop remotely and all will be perfect.
Michael

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Now I just need to figure out how to wake the laptop remotely and all will be perfect.
Michael

Is your laptop connected to the network via wifi or wired ethernet? If wifi, then It won't work, as WOL doesn't work over wifi. If wired, then I think you may need to send a WOL packet from inside your LAN - meaning either from your router or from another computer on the LAN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.