Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yeah the guys a GoofBall...

His test have no basis in reality...

If you actually read the text behind the link you've posted, you'll find out quickly why it's such a waste of time.

And...

Is there really any major difference, in your mind, between the 4 tests?

What do they really test for that's usefull for us? NOTHING

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by Sun Baked
What do they really test for that's usefull for us? NOTHING
Maybe not directly, but if you look at the results you can see that the new machine does not excel in any area compared to the Xserve and prev gen equiv.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Four very similar tests, four very similar results.

Still equals nothing usefull.

Just look at his "How I Test" link, he could have chosen a test from CPU crunching, 3D Games, and Storage plus maybe a 4th test that combined all three - that might have told us something.

But all four are CPU tests - and since they came out so similar, it means he didn't test the "differences" between the machines.

So it still equals NOTHING.

iamspooky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2002
Honolulu
My thought...

Aloha,

I know this is not rocket science and I am surely not capable of explaining the APPLE hardware architecture to anyone, but to a common minded folk like myself, it tells me that the new POWERMAC G4's in "some" benchmark tests are no faster than the older models. That's all.

However, I would at least expect a slight increase in rendering speed of at least 1 benchmark test in order for me to believe and validate APPLE'S claim of a vast improvement in the design.

Personally, I think time will reveal the truth. I think APPLE has too much confidence (others would call it "arrogance") in their Marketing team. I don't think these new machines come close to the advertised claims. This release will go down in my history book as one of APPLE's biggest mistakes. APPLE is blowing smoke....

And believe me, having lived in Hawaii all my life, I have been around alot of "smoke" ;) ....... we got the best there is !!

Regards,
SPOOKY :cool:

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
the point is that I think he might be right about the Motorola speed bottleneck at 1Gb/s. If he is, and I hope he isn't, then Apple has a serious bottleneck that needs to be fixed.

Lets all scream.

Paolo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2001
The Moon
fools

Hey those of you who think that the new g4s are a huge mistake... your fools!!!

The new models set a new benchamrk for the pro range, from now on all the models must contain DDR-SD at least... and two processors, making these chips as good as any, plus OSX will run ten times better with two proccessors, and then another 5 times better with the DDR. and the L3 with a fast operating system you can expect programs to pick up in speed aswell.

Also that guy didn't mention what OS he was using!!! Did he test them both on 10.2 or 10.1 or diffence between the two.

That guy is a fool!

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: fools

Originally posted by Paolo
The new models set a new benchamrk for the pro range, from now on all the models must contain DDR-SD at least... and two processors, making these chips as good as any, plus OSX will run ten times better with two proccessors, and then another 5 times better with the DDR. and the L3 with a fast operating system you can expect programs to pick up in speed aswell.
I admire your scientific rigor.

iamspooky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2002
Honolulu

Your not serious are you ?? Please tell me your joking....please..please..I hope your joking....:D

Spooky :cool:

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
it doesn't really matter how the old and new duals compare. Just remember, a dual 867 is 45% faster than a 2.54GHz Pentium 4, so go laugh at all your friends that our new low end is 45% faster than their high end.

http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

What's that, you don't like my benchmark... well, it's a benchmark from Apple, for crying out loud!

If you've been around, you've learned that Rob Art Morgan at BareFeats isn't the best to handle benchmarking. Why take 4 tests that all show the effect of L3 cache, and publish that, but then don't publish any tests that show the effect of memory, or graphics, or storage? He seems to have a bias, and/or needs to increase hits at his website to please his advertisers. His tests are no better than Apple's tests at the above link.

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England

Also that guy didn't mention what OS he was using!!! Did he test them both on 10.2 or 10.1 or diffence between the two.

That guy is a fool!

10x better, plust 5x better = 15 times better???? u seem like your talking out of passion rather then logic

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON

It would help you used proper grammar when calling people fools. If you meant to say "you are fools," the contraction would be you're fools. You just told everybody that they had fools. lol.:rolleyes:

...making these chips as good as any, plus OSX will run ten times better with two proccessors, and then another 5 times better with the DDR. and the L3 with a fast operating system you can expect programs to pick up in speed aswell.

so by doubling the number of processors, the computer becomes 10x as fast. Then, by adding DDR, it's 5x faster than that! well, that's a mighty speed increase. 10*5 = 50x faster! wow! that would be 15*50 = 750 gigaflops! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That guy is a fool!

You just made a fool out of yourself:p

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
no worries Mr. Jobs :)
The your/you're and their/there/they're mistakes are so common I'm awestruck. I sometimes wonder how many people ever took an English class.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.