Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solidgoldmini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hey all. I recently FINALLY received my BTO 20" iMac G5 after months of waiting for it to ship, and I mostly love it. I do have a question regarding the title of my post. When changing the volume while playing music, the volume changing sound is accompanied by a bit of static. Without music, it makes the little click without any static. (By the way, I'm talking about playing it through the built-in speakers.) I could've sworn I read something about this on these forums some time ago, as the best thing I could do while waiting for it was read about others' experience with theirs, but searches for iMac G5 static don't turn up anything. Anyone know why it does that? I'm going to plug in some other speakers and see if it does the same thing, but I have the wireless keyboard and mouse, and I kind of wanted to keep it wire-free. Thanks everyone for any ideas.

Will Curran

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
Phoenix AZ
Do you play your music very loud, with alot of bass? I did the same thing to some Boston Acoustics speakers, but I don't know how to fix it, exactly.

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
solidgoldmini said:
Hey all. I recently FINALLY received my BTO 20" iMac G5 after months of waiting for it to ship, and I mostly love it. I do have a question regarding the title of my post. When changing the volume while playing music, the volume changing sound is accompanied by a bit of static. Without music, it makes the little click without any static.

Install the 10.3.6 upgrade to fix this.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
razorme said:
Install the 10.3.6 upgrade to fix this.

Yep, the issue you are describing is a known issue on all iMac G5s running OS X.3.5 (as all iMacs G5s shipped from Apple do). Apple addressed it in the OS X.3.6 update.

I posted regarding this issue about a month and half ago, and was very surprised no one else reported having the problem too. However, I found many people posting in the Apple Support Discussions who had the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.