PDA

View Full Version : Unable to post in political forums?

MacFan26
Nov 8, 2004, 12:55 AM
Am I missing something? I'm only able to edit posts in the political forum. The forum is open again if I'm not mistaken right? I'm able to post elsewhere, just not there...

Xtremehkr
Nov 8, 2004, 01:10 AM
There is an explanation posted at the top of the page. We are in a timeout period, it's explained in post. Things were getting a little heated.

MacFan26
Nov 8, 2004, 01:14 AM
Ok thanks. I just wondered since I saw posts from earlier today.

blackfox
Nov 8, 2004, 01:18 AM
Ok thanks. I just wondered since I saw posts from earlier today.Those are threads that were moved to the political forum because they either were or became political in nature. Even though the forum is closed, the rules regarding where particular threads belong remain in effect. When the Political forum re-opens they will be back in business...

Mudbug
Nov 8, 2004, 08:44 AM
The forum is now open for posting again - there are a few rule changes that apply to newbies, but regular members should be able to access and post without issues now.

Thanks for cooperating, and happy posting.

Mudbug

wordmunger
Nov 8, 2004, 08:47 AM
Thanks for reopening! I was beginning to feel withdrawal symptoms....

MacDawg
Nov 8, 2004, 08:47 AM
Good job Mudbug. The cooling off period was a great move.
Hope it has its intended result.

sgarringer
Nov 8, 2004, 09:04 AM
The forum is now open for posting again - there are a few rule changes that apply to newbies, but regular members should be able to access and post without issues now.

Thanks for cooperating, and happy posting.

Mudbug

Why cant I post in the political forum. I can post in other forums... :mad:

wordmunger
Nov 8, 2004, 09:19 AM
Why cant I post in the political forum. I can post in other forums... :mad:
Looks like you need about 34 more posts to be allowed to post there. Apparently a new rule. Seems a bit harsh to me, but it does prevent people from establishing new accounts just to troll in the political forum.

MacDawg
Nov 8, 2004, 09:24 AM
Probably not a bad idea. The waters were pretty rough for a while.
If you are really interested, you will hang around though.

sgarringer
Nov 8, 2004, 11:15 AM
Looks like you need about 34 more posts to be allowed to post there. Apparently a new rule. Seems a bit harsh to me, but it does prevent people from establishing new accounts just to troll in the political forum.

I have 66 posts. Still no go.

wordmunger
Nov 8, 2004, 11:19 AM
I have 66 posts. Still no go.
Yes. You need 100. 66+34=100.

sgarringer
Nov 8, 2004, 11:21 AM
Yes. You need 100. 66+34=100.

damn it you beat me to this before i saw the new post by mudbug pointing out the 100 minimum. I misread your post and read 33 minimum.

I think 100 is too high, but I'll have to post BS in the other forums like the other users here (lets see, 10.3.6 didnt hose my machine, theres a post or two I can get out of that) to inflate my post count to 100.

Grr... I hate BS posts.

/edit: considering i got VERY up close and personal to a couple of n00bs in there, i'm sure they'll more than happily inflate my post count. thats why I must post BS. thanks.

Mudbug
Nov 8, 2004, 11:50 AM
damn it you beat me to this before i saw the new post by mudbug pointing out the 100 minimum. I misread your post and read 33 minimum.

I think 100 is too high, but I'll have to post BS in the other forums like the other users here (lets see, 10.3.6 didnt hose my machine, theres a post or two I can get out of that) to inflate my post count to 100.

Grr... I hate BS posts.

/edit: considering i got VERY up close and personal to a couple of n00bs in there, i'm sure they'll more than happily inflate my post count. thats why I must post BS. thanks.

spam postings just to inflate your post count will only get you kicked out, not let in. just fyi.

sgarringer
Nov 8, 2004, 12:30 PM
spam postings just to inflate your post count will only get you kicked out, not let in. just fyi.

i'm not advocating spam posts, although I may have used that word. I'm advocating the posts that so many people do here to get into the 1000s of posts, simply posting "I agree", "Sounds good", "Works for me" or any of the other hundreds of junk posts that are posted to discussions daily.

blackfox
Nov 8, 2004, 12:36 PM
Well, sgarringer

you seem to be making fair progress merely in this thread.

Oh, the irony.

I await your inevitable response.

MacDawg
Nov 8, 2004, 12:39 PM
i'm not advocating spam posts, although I may have used that word. I'm advocating the posts that so many people do here to get into the 1000s of posts, simply posting "I agree", "Sounds good", "Works for me" or any of the other hundreds of junk posts that are posted to discussions daily.

Uh, I wouldn't be advocating those posts either. Just get involved in a real discussion somewhere and contribute. Your post count will rise naturally. It isn't about numbers or status, its about contribution and interaction.

The posts that you are advocating will simply draw the attention of the mods and cause you problems.

Sun Baked
Nov 8, 2004, 12:55 PM
This is going to knock out some of the more prolific Political Forum posters, some of which have yet to break double-digits on their post counts.

sgarringer
Nov 8, 2004, 12:59 PM
Uh, I wouldn't be advocating those posts either. Just get involved in a real discussion somewhere and contribute. Your post count will rise naturally. It isn't about numbers or status, its about contribution and interaction.

The posts that you are advocating will simply draw the attention of the mods and cause you problems.

I do add to real discussions, in fact I've started a few myself. The point is that even 30 some posts that I have to make would take several months to reach only adding real comments to real discussions. There arent that many real discussions going on here, and there arent that many real comments to be made to those?

Is this a real discussion? No, its pointless. However, my post count continues to grow. And I'm not spamming.

Rower_CPU
Nov 8, 2004, 01:01 PM
This is going to knock out some of the more prolific Political Forum posters, some of which have yet to break double-digits on their post counts.

I haven't seen too many that it will effect, and, like I said in the welcome back thread, we'll deal with getting those folks back in there.

zimv20
Nov 8, 2004, 10:32 PM
wow, sounds like i missed a lot.

for those keeping score, i was in japan and korea the last 12 days for a holiday. had an awesome time, thank you. amazing how comprehensively japanese TV covered the american electoral process, fwiw.

2jaded2care
Nov 12, 2004, 10:11 AM
I can't post in the political forum either. Regardless of how happy that may make some people, I am trying to decide for myself whether this is maybe a good thing. :eek:

Anyone care to elaborate (in PG-13 terms) on whether this restriction was due to a specific incident, or just general post-election sniping (combined with typical Web nastiness/trolling)?... Or is that question better left unasked?

Mr. Anderson
Nov 12, 2004, 10:33 AM
Anyone care to elaborate (in PG-13 terms) on whether this restriction was due to a specific incident, or just general post-election sniping (combined with typical Web nastiness/trolling)?... Or is that question better left unasked?

its because we (the mods) are tired of dealing with trolls coming in and causing problems. 100 posts isn't all that much for a regular member, but it keeps others out.

And, yes, this is all pretty much fall out from the election fiasco.

D

gekko513
Nov 12, 2004, 03:40 PM

Grr... I hate BS posts.

If your main purpose here is to discuss politics then you may want to find another forum where politics is the main purpose of the forum.

If you enjoy discussing mac stuff then you shouldn't have any problem reaching 100 posts in a normal way.

Sun Baked
Nov 12, 2004, 03:44 PM
If your main purpose here is to discuss politics then you may want to find another forum where politics is the main purpose of the forum.

If you enjoy discussing mac stuff then you shouldn't have any problem reaching 100 posts in a normal way.There's probably been about 5 members whose sole purpose was the political forum (I do remember seeing 1 post that counted when they had hundred of posts in the Political Forum.)

But they eventually get themselves banned several times.

Not to memtion the number of long-term members who have left because of the Political Forum.

russed
Nov 15, 2004, 05:30 AM
not to sound thick but where are the political forums? i cant find them!

Rower_CPU
Nov 15, 2004, 11:45 AM
not to sound thick but where are the political forums? i cant find them!

Political Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47) - they're a sub-forum of Community Discussion

russed
Nov 15, 2004, 04:24 PM
Political Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47) - they're a sub-forum of Community Discussion

thanks very much!

MrMacMan
Nov 16, 2004, 03:36 PM
Another ridiculously rule:
Posts don't count in Polit. Discussion.

You can't post there anyway unless you have 100 posts.
I'm a ranking über-posting member.

Some of these rules and policies...

"Damnit MacRumors.
Why must you hate me so?"

mattroberts
Dec 14, 2004, 04:11 PM
If you enjoy discussing mac stuff then you shouldn't have any problem reaching 100 posts in a normal way.

I'm not a political poster but i've been a member since 2003 and i have only 143 posts. 100 seems a bit high.

But if we are making some posts not count towards your total maybe we should also make any G5 powerbook posts not count :D

cheers
m

Mudbug
Dec 14, 2004, 06:38 PM
"Damnit MacRumors.

you, uh... want a list or something? :D ;)

MrMacMan
Dec 14, 2004, 08:17 PM

Sure.

But more seriously, I haven't got into many fights with you as a mod, but the other mods... oh yeah, were 'peachy'.

Sun Baked
Dec 14, 2004, 09:01 PM
"Damnit MacRumors.
Sure.

But more seriously, I haven't got into many fights with you as a mod, but the other mods... oh yeah, were 'peachy'.This could possibly get as exciting as the smiley war and geek threads.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6659