PDA

View Full Version : Dell LCD and G5 Question

Emerson
Nov 8, 2004, 02:47 PM
Alright I have a simple question that I cannot seem to find the answer to. I am going to buy a new 20.1 Dell LCD to go with my soon to be purchased G5. I was wondering can I hook the monitor up to the G5 (through DVI) and use the analog port to hook it up to a PC (Before you say anything, I am an engineering student and use Solidworks extensively). If so how would it know what to display? Thanks in Advance.

edesignuk
Nov 8, 2004, 02:51 PM
In short, yes, that'd work perfectly :)

The Dell will have an input select button, you just choose what input you want displyed.

Emerson
Nov 8, 2004, 02:52 PM
Well if I had the PC and the G5 on at the same time, how would it know what to display?

Macmaniac
Nov 8, 2004, 02:56 PM
Well if I had the PC and the G5 on at the same time, how would it know what to display?
You might be a candidate for a KVM switch so you can move back and forth between you PC and your G5. If you can find a DVI version then you can retain your picture quality.

edesignuk
Nov 8, 2004, 02:57 PM
You might be a candidate for a KVM switch so you can move back and forth between you PC and your G5. If you can find a DVI version then you can retain your picture quality.
DVI KVMs don't come cheap though :(

robbieduncan
Nov 8, 2004, 03:05 PM

You tell it! As edesignuk said it will have a switch to choose between DSub (analogue) and DVI inputs. When you hit the switch it will change to the other input. If there is nothing on the other input it will change back automatically after a few seconds, otherwise it will show the display of the other computer.

Ubiquitous
Nov 13, 2004, 10:26 PM
You tell it! As edesignuk said it will have a switch to choose between DSub (analogue) and DVI inputs. When you hit the switch it will change to the other input. If there is nothing on the other input it will change back automatically after a few seconds, otherwise it will show the display of the other computer.

Will an Apple Display do this as well?

Sun Baked
Nov 13, 2004, 10:32 PM
Will an Apple Display do this as well?Nope, the Apple displays are a single input -- and require software-based controls.

So it's easiest to buy a PC display if you want to share a display between PCs and Macs.

addlogix
Nov 15, 2004, 06:28 PM
http://www.addlogix.com/peripheral_sharing/embed.asp?stuff=se_adc_body.html#ADC-AB

You're welcome =)