PDA

View Full Version : G4 Hardrives? Can I buy a regular PC hardrive?

obelix
Nov 9, 2004, 11:32 AM
Here's a quick questions. I am looking for a 250GB hardrive for a dual G4 powermac. I am wondering if I can use a ordinary PC retail hardrive or do I have to buy a specially designed "Mac-compatible" hardrive. I don't see why a regular PC hardrive wouldn't work. Can someone help me with this?

Passante
Nov 9, 2004, 12:15 PM
Yes you can add any standard ATA hard drive you want to your G4. See this link from Apple http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26259

One of the great advantages of Apple over PC towers is the terrific engineering that goes into the build of the machine. Its a joy to add hard drives, optical drives or PCI cards to a G4 tower. No sharp edges to cut your hands on. If only the fan system on the G4 MDD was as well designed.

Joe

varmit
Nov 9, 2004, 12:16 PM
Here's a quick questions. I am looking for a 250GB hardrive for a dual G4 powermac. I am wondering if I can use a ordinary PC retail hardrive or do I have to buy a specially designed "Mac-compatible" hardrive. I don't see why a regular PC hardrive wouldn't work. Can someone help me with this?

As long as the interface, EIDE or SATA (new in the G5 Macs), it should work just fine. I have two 120gig drives in my Mac, and one came from my old PC.

obelix
Nov 9, 2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the quick reply man! That was exactly the info I was looking for!

macbullrider42
Nov 9, 2004, 09:29 PM
Although 95% of all the hard drives will work, there are a few that won't. Any Western Digital with a model number ending in 'J' will be seen but can't be formatted even by a G4 under 10.2+. I highly recommend Seagate as I have yet to find one with this issue (besides, they are a FAR better quality drive). I guarantee you'll be happy with it. They seem to have a much better life expectancy also. Just a preference and suggestion.

cluthz
Nov 10, 2004, 05:55 AM
What dual is you planning to upgrade?

If its an older Digital audio or a Quicksilver your computer won't recognize more than 137GB pr drive (some QS can see the whole drive..)

If its an MDD, then you're safe to use any ATA100/133 drive.

obelix
Nov 10, 2004, 10:13 AM
How do I find that information out? I can't see that info anywhere.

TEG
Nov 10, 2004, 11:20 AM
If your system doesn't have the Mirrored Drive Doors, stick to <137GB, to be safe. If you do have a QuickSilver, under your "About This Mac..." click on more info, and then on ATA. If it is ATA-100 or 133 you'll be fine with >137GB. To be on the safe side, I'd suggest buying an ATA-133 Card for the system and connect that way.

TEG