Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
check it out. i finally got around to my dream, more than a year after i got my PB!!!!! (look at the picture) its simple but it ads that nice personal touch to my PB.

you can check it out on my website http://www.leaveapenny.net/pbmod.html as well as other mods i have done (such as my old iBook before i gave it to my little bro)

i think this should be a BTO option. different for everyones personal taste!

Attachments

• PBafter.jpg
    PBafter.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 187

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
it looks good. Very understated.

You're braver than me, I'd have to have my Powerbook prized from my cold, dead hands before it's opened up for such a trivial thing!

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
Solafaa said:
I am sure the apple workshop will fix mine for free :) since i work with them so much.

Where can i find site so that i can mod my 17" PB? i will post some pics of it when i am done :D

im guessing the 17" works the same.

http://homepage.mac.com/jimyounkin/PhotoAlbum7.html

is where i got the 'how to' on taking mine apart. i just searched google for powerbook mod and somehow ran into that site.

does anyone else have any good mods?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
very nifty. good job. :cool:

i think the next level would be to layer colors so it will look like the old school rainbow apple. :eek: (oh, done already on the link on your site... very cool.) (by the way, the other dude isn't very smart taking apart his PB while it's plugged in/powered up. i know he wanted to see the backlight, but not a good idea...)

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
redAPPLE said:
where do you get that "gel" thingy? changing the ibook's Apple color would be easier right? just need torques and change it... or am i mistaken?

i searched for light gels online. you can get big packs (of like 12x12 was the smallest i could find) for about $20. i then found through a camera web site adorama.com and found this

http://www.adorama.com/ROSB.html?searchinfo=ROSB&item_no=1

i tried my local camera shop but the only thing they had was 12x12 packs. ideally if you knew anyone that did tech work at a theater or photography or wherever else someone might used colored lights they could get a small piece of a light gel for you for free :-/

if you go to my website you can see that i also painted the complete inside fo an iBook (old G3 where that had a clear case with white paint, new ones are solid white plastic). First you use the proper size allen or hex wrench to remove the screws(metric sized either 1.5 or 2 i forget for the iBook). Next you have to take the cover off. this part is hard. you have to use something plastic to practically pry it off (like a credit card. i used an old spent gift card). the cover on the PB came off much easier actually.

jxyama said:
(by the way, the other dude isn't very smart taking apart his PB while it's plugged in/powered up. i know he wanted to see the backlight, but not a good idea...)

this is very true!!! i powered off, unplugged AND removed the battery before i started prying anything apart. i dont think there is too much in the screen that could get damaged if turned on (aside from sticking a screwdriver or something through the screen) but its always better to be safe from static shock or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.