PDA

View Full Version : 'The iPhone Antenna Song' Writer Profiled

MacRumors
Jul 16, 2010, 11:30 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/07/17/the-iphone-antenna-song-writer-profiled/)

Hours before Apple's iPhone 4 press conference, we pointed (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/07/16/the-iphone-antenna-song-humor/) to a YouTube video of "The iPhone Antenna Song", a humorous two-minute song written by Jonathan Mann (http://www.rockcookiebottom.com/), who has been writing and performing a new song every day for the past year and a half.

Mann's effort received new prominence when Apple opened the press conference (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/16/apple-posts-video-of-iphone-4-press-conference-antenna-information-pages/) by playing the clip, with Steve Jobs noting, "We saw that on YouTube this morning and couldn't help but want to share it."

The Los Angeles Times profiles (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/07/apple-iphone-4-antenna-steve-jobs-song.html) Mann, an "unabashed Apple fanboy" who uses his iPhone 4 for shooting and editing footage."The idea of Steve Jobs doing a little jig to my song, it doesn't get any more amazing than that for me," Mann said in an interview in his rumpled Berkeley apartment.Mann notes that he wrote the song to express frustration over his perception that the iPhone 4 antenna issue has been blown out of proportion, claiming as he did in the song that he has never dropped a call with the device. He reports that he was contacted by Apple early Friday asking permission to use the clip in its press conference."I knew the press conference was happening. I had my own opinions. The media was blowing this thing way out of proportion, so I wrote the song and sent it around to a few blogs," Mann said.

The marketing effort paid off. Apple contacted him early Friday morning to ask permission to play the song at the news conference.

"I created something at a moment that resonated with people in a way that was really positive and meaningful. That's what's so cool about it for me," he said.According to the report, Mann has received no compensation from Apple for the song's use in the press conference, although he apparently wouldn't say no to a free iPad if Apple were to offer him one.

Article Link: 'The iPhone Antenna Song' Writer Profiled (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/07/17/the-iphone-antenna-song-writer-profiled/)

gnagy
Jul 17, 2010, 12:48 AM
"According to the report, Mann has received no compensation from Apple for the song's use in the press conference, although he apparently wouldn't say no to a free iPad if Apple were to offer him one."

I would be disappointed if he couldn't purchase an iPad with the money he made today.

Help the guy out by purchasing his song:
http://jonathanmann.bandcamp.com/track/the-iphone-4-antenna-song

spillproof
Jul 17, 2010, 12:51 AM
Congrats to him. Not many little people get showcased by Apple. His video was funny and relatable and/or sarcastic to many (while others found it reeking with fanboyism and not the tiny bit funny :rolleyes:).

Gromit
Jul 17, 2010, 06:33 AM
Congrats to him, it's a great funny song. It would have been good to get it into the iTunes store so people could have purchased it and he could have capitalized on the worldwide publicity.

I have bought the song. The long way with pay pal

G5isAlive
Jul 17, 2010, 07:48 AM
this is my beef with macrumors.. any little antenna rumor.... no matter how implausible.. or remote.. they spread across the front page like no body's business... (or theirs LOL)... making me think its not just consumer reports that likes the attention gotten by being negative... but now that we are sick of the ugliness promoted... we get the chance to laugh and what does macrumors do? bury this LOL

this song is fricking brilliant.

if you dont like it.. return it!

YES!

CrizzoDesigns
Jul 17, 2010, 08:05 AM
I love this song!! :apple:

Eddyisgreat
Jul 17, 2010, 08:25 AM
I bought and iPhone and it doesn't work. I want a Droid.

♫If You Don't Want an iPhone 4! Don't Buy It!
If You Bought it and You Don't Like It! Bring it back!♫

The iPhone and it's antenna killed my first born.

Apple's arrogance is ridiculous. I shouldn't have to use a bumper to use my phone.

Steve Jobs knew all along what's going on. He's clearly trying to rip off customers and think no one cares.

Apple should have known they can't get around Nokia's antenna engineering. I hate my iPhone 4.

zed
Jul 17, 2010, 08:46 AM

nicely done :) :apple:

appleseed76
Jul 17, 2010, 09:31 AM
My signature has been saying this for a long time. Although it's not quite as catchy as this song.

ob81
Jul 17, 2010, 09:38 AM
this is my beef with macrumors.. any little antenna rumor.... no matter how implausible.. or remote.. they spread across the front page like no body's business... (or theirs LOL)... making me think its not just consumer reports that likes the attention gotten by being negative... but now that we are sick of the ugliness promoted... we get the chance to laugh and what does macrumors do? bury this LOL

this song is fricking brilliant.

if you dont like it.. return it!

YES!

Well it is Saturday morning. People are off work spending time with thier families and doing activities.

Yay this guy made a song.

Posting from the gym. I lost and had to get off the court. Love the iPhone 4!

Mac-Mariachi
Jul 17, 2010, 10:15 AM
He now has a song titled "Steve Jobs"! And itīs pretty good.

TripHop
Jul 17, 2010, 11:12 AM
Jonathan Why Don't You Podcast Your Songs? With all your video editing and website production talent I don't understand why you don't make your daily songs a podcast. I'm sure it would be very popular and help increase your notoriety, fame and higher profile in the infotainment world. :)

broncopde
Jul 17, 2010, 11:24 AM
"Rumpled apartment"? Interesting way of words there.

It still kinda amazes me that Apple used this video to open the press conference. I still can't figure out what I think about that.

ctrobins
Jul 17, 2010, 11:38 AM
Nice job Jonathan Mann! I loved your video, and the message! Very funny!

CocoaPuffs
Jul 17, 2010, 12:57 PM
This guy could be the next Justin Bieber...for senior citizens!

BlondeBuddhist
Jul 17, 2010, 01:14 PM
Good tune. I'm happy for the guy. As someone said, Apple usually keeps the press conferences "business as usual", so for this little tidbit to open it up was nicely played.

I hope he makes a million dollars.

Blonde Buddhist

MarximusMG
Jul 17, 2010, 06:12 PM
I'd be surprised if he doesn't get some sort of compensation from Apple!

saxon48
Jul 17, 2010, 07:39 PM
The song is so funny, and so true. :apple:

AppleEverything
Jul 17, 2010, 07:43 PM
This guys is my hero

Rocketman
Jul 17, 2010, 09:40 PM
Good tune. I'm happy for the guy. As someone said, Apple usually keeps the press conferences "business as usual", so for this little tidbit to open it up was nicely played.

Apple played this conference a bit looser than usual with the profanity and Jesus reference. The thing I liked best about that was they backed up their "pointed" comments with HARD DATA.

I invite ACCURATE mild rudeness. In your face erroneous critics!

We rock and we know it. And can prove it.

I like that attitude from Apple, at least in response to a blown out of proportion controversy.

Rocketman

Sometimes extreme is what is called for.

BlondeBuddhist
Jul 17, 2010, 09:57 PM
Apple played this conference a bit looser than usual with the profanity and Jesus reference. The thing I liked best about that was they backed up their "pointed" comments with HARD DATA.

I invite ACCURATE mild rudeness. In your face erroneous critics!

We rock and we know it. And can prove it.

I like that attitude from Apple, at least in response to a blown out of proportion controversy.

Rocketman

Sometimes extreme is what is called for.
I'm with ya.

My favorite piece of data was the fact they quoted Consumer Reports saying that it's the best smartphone out right now.

Blonde Buddhist

jonathanmann
Jul 18, 2010, 03:37 AM
I have to say, as someone who has read MacRumors for YEARS, it's quite exciting to, along with everything else that's happened, see a post about me. Yay MacRumors!

starstreak
Jul 18, 2010, 04:50 AM
Funny song. Too bad I'm a minority in this. I would return it but like many, I was jaded with how great this new phone would be. It finally did everything I was used to doing on my windows mobile (yeah,yeah..) so I sold my old phone, switched carriers. I needed it on the go for a trip so I bought a bunch of apps and bigger costing ones like tomtom. Car charger, etc. Found out I kept getting people saying they had trouble hearing me. Read all the things about the attenna. And etc.
Long story short, Steve Job said I made the iphone4 better. It has an attenna issue.Not gonna really say its defective. Here's a bumper.

K. So I return the iphone4. Ops. Can't get my money back for everything else including another phone. $100's lost. Yay for switching to Apple. Oh and I bought my bumper. At least I can get my money back for that.

VicMacs
Jul 18, 2010, 12:28 PM
I have to say, as someone who has read MacRumors for YEARS, it's quite exciting to, along with everything else that's happened, see a post about me. Yay MacRumors!

right and you just joined today? are you really THE Jonathan Mann?

I'm a HUGE fan :D

iphones4evry1
Jul 18, 2010, 03:30 PM
Without the background info, I had thought I was 99% positive that this guy was secretly hired by Apple 'under the table' to make this video.

I guess I'll have to back away from that ... but we still don't know if Apple met him in a dark alley and handed him a briefcase though.

samcraig
Jul 18, 2010, 03:58 PM
The song is an ok listen. And no disrespect to the performer. But I don't see how or why people find the song funny? That he musicalized what has been posted on here over and over? I've listened to it a few times now trying to see the humor and I just see someone singing about his opinion which is just that. Not a joke. Not "funny" Just a musical editorial. Maybe I'm missing something.

res1233
Jul 18, 2010, 08:54 PM
right and you just joined today? are you really THE Jonathan Mann?

I'm a HUGE fan :D

You don't have to have an account to read macrumors, just to post. I'm sure there are plenty people that just come here to read the latest apple-related stories, then close the window. I used to do that in fact.

RinoaHeartily
Jul 18, 2010, 09:35 PM
anyone got the lyrcis to the song

stagi
Jul 19, 2010, 08:24 AM
This song was great, glad this guy got some coverage!

Devnor
Jul 19, 2010, 02:33 PM
Great tune!

Hemingray
Jul 19, 2010, 05:00 PM
Way to go Jonathan! :)

firewood
Jul 19, 2010, 11:32 PM
What a great song! Everybody I show it to loves it. The lyrics are the truth. One friend can't stop humming the tune. "if you bought it and you don't like it ... "

babyspice
Jul 20, 2010, 01:03 AM
WOW........Damn interesting...Great job! They wrote the song to express frustration over his perception that the iPhone 4 antenna issue has been blown out of proportion, claiming as he did in the song that he has never dropped a call with the device.

Penny Stocks (http://www.stocktrains.com)

captainAJ
Jul 20, 2010, 03:18 AM
Lyrics of iPhone 4 Antenna song:

thereís an awful lot of hoopla
around the iphone 4 anttenna
when you grip it with the death grip
and youíre call slips away
the media loves a failure
in a string of success
the facts wonít ever matter
if they can make bigger messes
sure i can make it happen
but in terms of daily usage
iíve yet to drop a call
so this whole damn thing is stupid
and you can call me a fanboy
iíve been called worse things
but gizmodo just ridiculous
pulling their anti-apple strings
you bought a stolen prototype
get over it and move on
or hey even better
letís all sing this song

esquire360
Jul 20, 2010, 01:29 PM

http://www.last.fm/music/Jonathan+Mann/+listeners

Your getting some last fm listeners... I'm 6 deep in listen so far ;)

You should free download your last.fm tracks it'll get you propagated more.

http://www.last.fm/music/Jonathan+Mann/+tracks

Be awesome
Chuck the can't stand up comic
http://www.AskACapper.com

aliensporebomb
Jul 21, 2010, 02:13 PM
The song is an ok listen. And no disrespect to the performer. But I don't see how or why people find the song funny? That he musicalized what has been posted on here over and over? I've listened to it a few times now trying to see the humor and I just see someone singing about his opinion which is just that. Not a joke. Not "funny" Just a musical editorial. Maybe I'm missing something.

But here's the deal: songwriters typically write what they know and write about it. I do it myself (www.reverbnation.com/aliensporebomb for my stuff).

In his case he's just responding like you would in a forum post as a song. It's a brilliant idea.

And catchy.

paul4339
Jul 21, 2010, 11:37 PM
Lyrics of iPhone 4 Antenna song:

thereís an awful lot of hoopla
around the iphone 4 anttenna
when you grip it with the death grip
and youíre call slips away
the media loves a failure
in a string of success
the facts wonít ever matter
if they can make bigger messes
sure i can make it happen
but in terms of daily usage
iíve yet to drop a call
so this whole damn thing is stupid
and you can call me a fanboy
iíve been called worse things
but gizmodo just ridiculous
pulling their anti-apple strings
you bought a stolen prototype
get over it and move on
or hey even better
letís all sing this song

I like the few words at the end of the tune: " ... but you know you want it"

P.

liavman
Jul 22, 2010, 01:06 AM
I thought it ended with "..but you know you won't"

MarximusMG
Jul 22, 2010, 10:47 PM
I thought it ended with "..but you know you won't"

You're right, that's how it ends. What's sad is that it's absolutely true. :D

JadiAnatchi
Jul 25, 2010, 01:35 AM
Lucky guy to be showcased by apple .. he deserves it..

a clever man like him deserves this----->>> Clap Clap Clap a big applause for all the funny songs

good job Jonathan...:rolleyes::D