Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucius

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Atherton, Manchester
Ok, so my shop customised 17" G5 iMac arrived a couple of weeks or so ago. I tracked it all the way from China to the UK - amazingly it all worked when I took it out of the box... until I tried to burn a CD. The machine made the most awful humming/vibration that sounded like a cross between a washing machine and a hair dryer. It could be heard in a different room. I quickly realised this was not something Jonathon Ives would design into the iMac :O

The first disk burned but subsequent disks won't even burn, they just fall over after an interminable wait with some random error.

I am not massively happy, has anyone else had problems like this? I am going to phone Apple tomorrow. Will they send a replacement drive out or will they courier the whole thing into base (I ordered it through the Uk Apple Store)?

Lucklily I have my trusty old G4 Powerbook but still, the damn iMac wasn't cheap.

lucius

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Atherton, Manchester
Yeah it does. I phoned them form work but needed to be at my iMac apparently for them to do some diagnostic stuff. I tried phoning after work but after been queued on hold for 25 minutes hung up. I will try them on Monday if I can get home before 6pm.

I did try the new Apple support chat client - where you get a chat window with an Apple support agent. That was going well until, while looking for the order date of my iMac in my in box, he terminated the chat because I had not responded (in 10 seconds or something stupid). So that's a good technological idea that needs some more work before prime time.

Hopefully they'll just send me out a new drive in the post - I can live without burning for a while.

Shame, otherwise I'm really pleased with the iMac.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
I feel your pain,i got me a new G5 iMac and i use an adapter insted of a convertor and there was a big BANG. Everything is working tou :)

Tip: If you can afforde it always get an external burner, it sbeen so long since i late used an internal one, i just like the more. Its easy to to replace it just make sure you get some info online first.

neilrobinson

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2004
Perth, WA, Australia
:rolleyes: yeah done that kinda thing far to many times! glad the mac is fine, as well of you of course.

warning: 12 volt fan in a 240 volt plug... very fast for like 1/10 second, melt, smoke, electric shock, no fan left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.