PDA

View Full Version : apple care or not?

mlecho
Nov 12, 2004, 11:47 PM
hey guys..i am deciding if i want to get the apple protection that costs 350$. While steep, what are the advantages? i heard that the limited warranty (1 year) that comes with the powerbook, will not cover the display, but that the APP will cover a broken/smashed/poor display. Any thoughts on this....i understand i can always get the APP as long as it is within the original warranty time....so while i have this year, is there other things APP does the waranty does not?

thanks

Duff-Man
Nov 12, 2004, 11:51 PM
Duff-Man says...hello and welcome....may I respectfully suggest you search the forums for "Applecare" - you will see that there have been numerous threads that discuss this already...it comes up all the time...cheers....oh yeah!

dotnina
Nov 12, 2004, 11:53 PM
Since Applecare isn't an accident protection policy, it will not cover a broken or smashed display. However, it will cover a "poor quality" display, as long as it meets Apple's definition of "poor quality."

A good way to think of it is, APP will cover anything that goes wrong with your computer that's Apple's fault, not including cosmetic damages (like chipped paint on old TiBooks). For example, Apple will cover dead pixels if you have a certain magic number of them (I think 7 or so), or Apple will cover a logic board that just randomly fails.

mlecho
Nov 13, 2004, 12:06 AM
Duff-Man says...hello and welcome....may I respectfully suggest you search the forums for "Applecare" - you will see that there have been numerous threads that discuss this already...it comes up all the time...cheers....oh yeah!
no offense taken...thanks duff-man- i will run a search

mklos
Nov 13, 2004, 07:39 PM
Its $349, but the first time something does happen to go wrong it more than pays for itself. You can't buy a PowerBook logic board for $349. You can't buy a screen for $349. Plus add in the labor for changing the parts. Also, realize this, once your 1 yr warranty runs out and you haven't bought AppleCare you will never be able to buy AppleCare for it ever again. Just a thought. So you have 1 year from the time you bought your PowerBook to think about it. I think Apple will remind you that your current warranty is about to run out when the time comes.

Its good protection for your PowerBook incase something does happen. Sometimes Apple will still fix things that aren't covered by the warranty. You just gotta BS them a little.

dorqiekat
Nov 13, 2004, 08:50 PM
the only problem with getting apple care is for people who haven't got the money (me) wondering if they're throwing the money away if nothing happens within the 2 years you get with apple care. It's a gamble. And worst case scenario, you buy apple care, no problems, apple care runs out, computer dies. More money. :eek:

well, that's what goes through my head... since I'm so poor. If my first pb wasn't jacked then maybe I'd have money for apple care :(

mklos
Nov 13, 2004, 10:16 PM
It is a gamble...but to me its a gamble worth taking because like I said earlier, the first time something does happen to your PowerBook then it pays for itself right there. I'd rather spend $349 on a warranty than have to spend $700 for a Logic Board+ $100+ to install it. You think you was poor before then, just look at the results of NOT buying it. Enough said......

David Lundgren
Nov 13, 2004, 10:20 PM
You can also pay less than the $350 retail. I got AC for my Powerbook through a discount house online for $250. There's a couple of sources around if you look a bit. At that number, it's certainly worth it.

dorqiekat
Nov 13, 2004, 10:24 PM
You can also pay less than the $350 retail. I got AC for my Powerbook through a discount house online for $250. There's a couple of sources around if you look a bit. At that number, it's certainly worth it.

yes, at that number... link?

Jaz
Nov 14, 2004, 06:16 AM
I had a Logic Board die out of the blue two and a half years after buying my old PBG4 550. Had Applecare, it was replaced within 3 days. No labour or parts charge. Applecare is worth the money.

Solafaa
Nov 14, 2004, 07:40 AM
I think you should get it, its always best if you do.

mklos
Nov 14, 2004, 08:23 AM
Another thing to think about is if you know someone in education, or even a friend who is a student somewhere, they can buy the PowerBook AppleCare Extended Warranty for $239, well less than $349. I got the iMac Extended AppleCare Warranty for only $119 instead of $169.

combatcolin
Nov 14, 2004, 09:26 AM
You can buy insurance policys for A LOT cheaper than Apple are offering and they cover multiple household items.
(Cooker, Washing Machine, TV the list goes on)

And because its totally seperate to your contents insurance any claim won't put up your premiums.

ANd, no i don't work in insurance before you ask :D

mklos
Nov 14, 2004, 09:30 AM
The way insurance works in the UK is a helluva lot different than insurance in the US. AppleCare works the same no matter where you are, guaranteed. Although I see that AppleCare isn't valid in Florida for some reason.

caveman_uk
Nov 14, 2004, 12:06 PM
You can buy insurance policys for A LOT cheaper than Apple are offering and they cover multiple household items.
(Cooker, Washing Machine, TV the list goes on)

Or buy your mac from John Lewis and get a two-year warranty for free. Sadly they only have standard builds and that's only when Apple bothers to give anyone other than themselves any machines to sell. :rolleyes:

Personally I have Applecare on both my machines. Both policies were bought off of ebay. The ibook one for £110 and the powermac one for £50. At that price they are definately worth it! :D

Sun Baked
Nov 14, 2004, 12:24 PM
no offense taken...thanks duff-man- i will run a searchIt's just a warranty extension, nothing new added.

So if you abuse the machine, neither Apple Care nor the original warranty will cover it.

dotnina
Nov 14, 2004, 12:32 PM
Another thing to think about is if you know someone in education, or even a friend who is a student somewhere, they can buy the PowerBook AppleCare Extended Warranty for $239, well less than $349. I got the iMac Extended AppleCare Warranty for only $119 instead of $169.

Thank you for that tip! I had no idea AppleCare was cheaper through the edu store ... I guess that makes sense, though. Now I am definetely going to work my student-ness and pick up AppleCare. :)

oldschool
Nov 14, 2004, 04:41 PM
YOU CAN GET A REFUND ON apple care if you don't use it.

read the terms of agreement, and you'll see that you are entitled to a refund by sending a letter to some place in texas.

web_god61
Nov 14, 2004, 04:41 PM
check your credit card. Some credit cards extend the warrenty of the things you buy with them.

dorqiekat
Nov 14, 2004, 05:41 PM
YOU CAN GET A REFUND ON apple care if you don't use it.

read the terms of agreement, and you'll see that you are entitled to a refund by sending a letter to some place in texas.

No way... oh, I'll be getting applecare for sure then. NO gamble at all! :D

Sun Baked
Nov 14, 2004, 05:58 PM
No way... oh, I'll be getting applecare for sure then. NO gamble at all! :DStill a gamble... if you read the Terms and Conditions, and there are some addition gotchas if you live in Nevada.7 Cancellation

You may cancel this Plan at any time for any reason. If you purchased the Plan in the United States or Canada, cancel by sending written notice to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714-9125, U.S. Your notice must be accompanied by a copy of your proof of purchase of the Plan. Unless state law provides otherwise, if you cancel within 30 days of your Plan purchase, or receipt of these Terms and Conditions, whichever occurs later, you will receive a full refund less the value of any service provided under the Plan; if you cancel more than 30 days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro-rata refund of the Planís original purchase price, less (i) a cancellation fee of U.S. $25 or 10 percent of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (ii) the value of any service provided to you under the Plan. Unless state law provides otherwise, Apple may cancel this Plan if service parts for the Covered Equipment become unavailable, upon 30 daysí written notice. If Apple cancels this Plan, you will receive a pro-rata refund for the Planís unexpired term. For Plans purchased and enrolled/activated outside the U.S. or Canada, please contact the regional Apple subsidiary for the country of purchase.The dreaded "pro-rata amount" and the cancelation fee.

David Lundgren
Nov 14, 2004, 06:11 PM
<<yes, at that number... link?>>

I got it at www.compu-america.com

Never had any dealings with them before, and it took them ten days to get around to shipping it, but I did get AppleCare for $250 for my 15" Powerbook.

Macky-Mac
Nov 15, 2004, 02:31 AM
It is a gamble...but to me its a gamble worth taking because like I said earlier, the first time something does happen to your PowerBook then it pays for itself right there....

unless nothing goes wrong of course

between work and home I've had 7 Macs over the years and only one of them had something go wrong in the 2 years of the extended coverage that AppleCare provides, and that was a CD burner that died.

the cost of Applecare for all those machines would have been something like $1500.....and the single repair cost about $250 as I recall

it's a gamble all right, but I think it's a gamble that Apple wins over and over and over again

of course some people who are new to Macs are going to get value out of the extra 9 months of telephone support and those people who are willing to pay for "peace of mind" will certainly sleep easier for having bought Applecare

ftaok
Nov 15, 2004, 07:40 AM
mechlo,

If you paid for your Powerbook with a credit card, you may be covered for an additional year or two on top of the regular 1-year warranty. I bought my iBook with my Amex card and got one year on top of the 1-year. So the choice was whether I should spend the $230 for the additional 3rd year.

In the end, I bought Applecare.

Although I see that AppleCare isn't valid in Florida for some reason. The reason that Applecare cannot be purchased in Florida is because the state government felt that the population (skewed toward senior citizens) weren't smart/savvy enough to weed out legitimate plans from scams.

terraform
Nov 15, 2004, 10:17 AM
Great thread! I guess after reading these I feel I got a good deal from a high pressure saleman at CompUSA. I got the Applecare for three years for $70.00 I guess after telling him I didn't want the plan after four times he came down on the price. I wonder what the salespeople get out of selling these plans anyway?
I usually go mail order but thought I would try retail but after I see how high pressure they are to sell you something I'll definetly go back to mailorder from now on!

Jovian9
Nov 15, 2004, 11:02 AM
It's really up to you. If you never use it then it is a waste of money....but if you do use it....it pays for itself once in those 2 years.

My last G4 iMac had the Superdrive go out and the screen started to heat and warp right after the initial 1yr warranty ended. Luckily I bought AppleCare so all of this was free.

molcas&e'sdad
Nov 15, 2004, 12:42 PM
I have benefitted from the fact that with applecare, I can call technical support for networking issues because my AEBS is part of my computer and, thus, covered by applecare. Given that I am not an expert in networking, I have called at least twice when my network mysteriously dropped.

nfocus design
Nov 15, 2004, 01:01 PM
I haven't purchased AppleCare yet, but I plan to before my one year runs out. I had to take my G5 2.5 in last week because of problems with the logic board. This one repair runs about $1,000. I usually don't purchase any kind of extended warranties because I figure if it's a dud or has a problem, I'll notice it in the first year. With this computer costing so much for repairs though, I think I'll get AppleCare so I will have some peace of mind. By the time my AppleCare runs out, I'll probably be ready to make my next Mac purchase :)

Xtremehkr
Nov 15, 2004, 04:58 PM
I've had Applecare for three years now, for my iMac G3 600Mhz.

The only thing to have happened in that time was the CD Drive went out on me. I can't imagine that it was a very expensive fix, it probably would have cost less than three years worth of AppleCare.

On top of that, the Apple Store I took it to wanted me to spend $50 so that they could back up the hard drive, in case they lost the data. I was a little put off by that because it seems like they are trying to make money at each step.

The CD Drive is fixed/replaced though and works fine now.

Every now and then my screen will kind of flicker or warble, so I am wondering whether or not I am about to lose a graphics card or something. It doesn't do it all the time, but every now and then it will have periods where it does that. Hopefully Applecare will take care of that when the time comes. I wonder if they will do it beforehand.