PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network Without Router?

neilrobinson
Nov 13, 2004, 08:12 PM
is this possible? networking 2 computers wirelessly without a wireless router/hub/thingmygigy in the middle.

the idea behind this is i am looking at a G4/G5/PowerBook/iBook and wanting to wireless network it with my linux box (server, web, mail, music ect) i am wondering if this is possible? :confused:

JeDiBoYTJ
Nov 13, 2004, 08:17 PM
yeah, it actually is possible.... im a way... you just need an Airport Extreme card in the G5/G4/Powerbook, and then go up to System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet -> then choose to share your internet FROM the ethernet, through Airport, and the linux boxes should (in theory), be able to see the network

neilrobinson
Nov 13, 2004, 08:37 PM
ok, sorry for the confusion but its the other way round :o the linux box is the server so the Mac would be the client access whatever is needed mail, web ect.

JeDiBoYTJ
Nov 13, 2004, 09:35 PM
oh I dont know then.... I dont know linux, but if you can get wireless cards into those boxes and find a way for it to broadcast the internet signal through the wireless card.... then it should work

Will Curran
Nov 13, 2004, 09:40 PM
Yes it's possible it's called ad-hoc. Fun stuff.

Don't have any idea how to network it on a mac or linux though.

zimv20
Nov 14, 2004, 04:48 AM
ok, sorry for the confusion but its the other way round :o the linux box is the server so the Mac would be the client access whatever is needed mail, web ect.
it's still running the router software, though, yes? so, "yes, you can do the wireless thing w/o having to buy an extra box," but, "no, you cannot do it w/o something acting as the router."

patrick0brien
Nov 15, 2004, 11:24 AM
it's still running the router software, though, yes? so, "yes, you can do the wireless thing w/o having to buy an extra box," but, "no, you cannot do it w/o something acting as the router."

-neilrobinson

Too true. You need something to dole out IP addresses.