Wireless Network Without Router?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by neilrobinson, Nov 13, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

is this possible? networking 2 computers wirelessly without a wireless router/hub/thingmygigy in the middle.

the idea behind this is i am looking at a G4/G5/PowerBook/iBook and wanting to wireless network it with my linux box (server, web, mail, music ect) i am wondering if this is possible? :confused:

2. macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

yeah, it actually is possible.... im a way... you just need an Airport Extreme card in the G5/G4/Powerbook, and then go up to System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet -> then choose to share your internet FROM the ethernet, through Airport, and the linux boxes should (in theory), be able to see the network

3. macrumors 6502

ok, sorry for the confusion but its the other way round :eek: the linux box is the server so the Mac would be the client access whatever is needed mail, web ect.

4. macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

oh I dont know then.... I dont know linux, but if you can get wireless cards into those boxes and find a way for it to broadcast the internet signal through the wireless card.... then it should work

5. macrumors regular

Will Curran

Yes it's possible it's called ad-hoc. Fun stuff.

Don't have any idea how to network it on a mac or linux though.

6. macrumors 601

zimv20

it's still running the router software, though, yes? so, "yes, you can do the wireless thing w/o having to buy an extra box," but, "no, you cannot do it w/o something acting as the router."

7. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-neilrobinson

Too true. You need something to dole out IP addresses.