PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Touts New York City Network Improvements, San Francisco 90 Days Behind

MacRumors
Jul 22, 2010, 10:42 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/07/22/atandt-touts-new-york-city-network-improvements-san-francisco-90-days-behind/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/07/22/114006-att_nyc_improvements.jpg

As noted (http://gizmodo.com/5593655/att-nyc-is-this-much-better-sorry-san-francisco) by Gizmodo, AT&T during its conference call following its second quarter earnings release (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/22/atandt-activates-3-2-million-iphones-in-q2-as-new-customer-draw-slows/) touted recent improvements to its cellular network in New York City, and Manhattan in particular. Another of the carrier's troubled markets, San Francisco, is reportedly lagging about 90 days behind New York when it comes to improvements. From AT&T's presentation:Solid improvements in New York City
- 3G dropped calls down 23% in Manhattan and 13% in New York metro since 4Q09
- Blocked calls down 39% in Manhattan and 21% in New York metro since 4Q09
- 3G download speeds up 31% in last six months in NYCThe company also notes that its "3G Voice Composite Quality Index" is up 89% in Manhattan over the last six months.

AT&T last month announced (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/28/atandt-announces-completion-of-3g-enhancement-project-in-new-york-city/) that it had completed its 3G upgrade process in New York City, an infrastructure enhancement designed to address performance issues in a market where the carrier has seen a significant amount of criticism (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/09/atandt-addressing-network-performance-in-manhattan-and-san-francisco-high-bandwidth-users/)

Article Link: AT&T Touts New York City Network Improvements, San Francisco 90 Days Behind (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/07/22/atandt-touts-new-york-city-network-improvements-san-francisco-90-days-behind/)

iBookG4user
Jul 22, 2010, 10:47 AM
It would be nice if they could do some improvements here in southern California. My 3G speeds are barely over 1mbps down.

pmonahan
Jul 22, 2010, 10:50 AM
North Metro Atlanta is a virtual deadspot

Don't get too confident AT&T

diesel
Jul 22, 2010, 10:58 AM
Living/working in the NYC area.............I can honestly say "bu!!*****" to whatever AT&T is "touting" I see NO improvements whatsoever. The only improvement i see is that things improve on crappy raining/hot days in the city when there are less tourists in the city milling about congesting the network.

wrlsmarc
Jul 22, 2010, 11:30 AM
I just spent a week in Manhattan. Relative to my last visit, the network was much better. I did not drop any calls and data connectivity was much improved. I did notice that in the late afternoon commute hours that data rates would slow down but they were still respectable. Downloads speed of about 500 kbps. Other times I was getting more than 2,000 kbps.

Living in the SF area, I can't wait until they finish their work here. I hope it is only 90 days. The network here has improved but no where near Manhattan.

Diode
Jul 22, 2010, 11:35 AM
Is NYC still suffering from the capped upload problem?

I know DC is ... I'm getting a measly 50kbps upload on 3G....

DaveGee
Jul 22, 2010, 11:36 AM
I just spent a week in Manhattan. Relative to my last visit, the network was much better. I did not drop any calls and data connectivity was much improved. I did notice that in the late afternoon commute hours that data rates would slow down but they were still respectable. Downloads speed of about 500 kbps. Other times I was getting more than 2,000 kbps.

Living in the SF area, I can't wait until they finish their work here. I hope it is only 90 days. The network here has improved but no where near Manhattan.

AH HA!!! So your the reason Diesel is so pissed! :D

maverikv
Jul 22, 2010, 11:36 AM
LOL AT&T is hilarious. Does anyone who lives in manhattan believe these numbers?

ChocolateOne
Jul 22, 2010, 11:41 AM
LOL AT&T is hilarious. Does anyone who lives in manhattan believe these numbers?

I swear, people are so cynical. They improve a network people have had trouble with and your still not happy. Get a Microcell if your coverage is that bad. they are giving them away.

maverikv
Jul 22, 2010, 11:45 AM
I swear, people are so cynical. They improve a network people have had trouble with and your still not happy. Get a Microcell if your coverage is that bad. they are giving them away.

I'm cynical because they say they improved the network yet every call gets dropped 5 times, and I live in what is arguably the center of the known universe (a block and a half from Times Square)

I'm very happy with my iPhone in every respect but phone calls. I just wish my iPhone was good at being a phone (derp).

dstankus
Jul 22, 2010, 11:46 AM
I call BS on this in NYC; Most days I barely get 500K down/100K up, and at least two or three times/day I get the "can't activate cellular data network" or whatever it is, even though I have 3+ signal bars.

This is just marketing noise; talk to actual users and you get a different story...

can't wait for another carrier to become available w/iPhone so we can offload some of the data volume.

abbstrack
Jul 22, 2010, 12:03 PM
this is crap. I live in brooklyn which is still 'NYC' proper. there are still pockets in my apartment that will drop a call..no matter what, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, same result.

Also, i went to see Burning Spear at the river to river festival down in tribeca last nite...zero reception...as in none. Not able to make calls, receive calls, sending text messages took upwards of 5 tries.

Call us cynical if you want. We are the ones who actually live here. And i've gotten no letter that at&t wants to give me a free microcell. And i'll be damned if i pay for one.

ChocolateOne
Jul 22, 2010, 12:09 PM
I'm cynical because they say they improved the network yet every call gets dropped 5 times, and I live in what is arguably the center of the known universe (a block and a half from Times Square)

I'm very happy with my iPhone in every respect but phone calls. I just wish my iPhone was good at being a phone (derp).

Have you considered the microcell??

room237
Jul 22, 2010, 12:11 PM
There is still a deadspot at Queensboro Plaza. So ridiculous. I've use "mark the spot" dozens of times. Glad they take these reports seriously. :rolleyes:

davidcarswell
Jul 22, 2010, 12:17 PM

perhaps you and the iphone should agree to see other people-
you have tried - and if it just doesnt work for you -
<sob>
now get a new phone - note the missing 'i'
and while you are at it - get another network.

robotphood
Jul 22, 2010, 12:19 PM
It would be nice if they could do some improvements here in southern California. My 3G speeds are barely over 1mbps down.

Where are you in socal? In Orange county I'm consistently seeing over 2mbps sometimes over 3.

davidcarswell
Jul 22, 2010, 12:21 PM
There is still a deadspot at Queensboro Plaza. So ridiculous. I've use "mark the spot" dozens of times. Glad they take these reports seriously. :rolleyes:

maybe you shouldnt make calls at Queensboro Plaza.
Perhaps there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed - such as interference-
or if you are on the iP4 perhaps you are holding it wrong...

This comment is suppose to be somewhat humorous-
:cool:
<since i was a complete a$$ on my last comment-above-though i did mean it>

wrlsmarc
Jul 22, 2010, 12:32 PM
AH HA!!! So your the reason Diesel is so pissed! :D

damn visitors

jajohns8
Jul 22, 2010, 12:38 PM

Although I'm not in NY, I've used the 'Mark the spot' app in the past.

After a few months, I did get a text saying that I would be happy to know a new tower was going in in my area where I reported the dropped call/weak signal/ whatever.

I think that these improvements will never happen as fast as we would like, but at the same time, it's a little inaccurate to claim (and I'm not necessarily saying the poster I quoted is saying this) that AT&T are "doing nothing."

iprattle
Jul 22, 2010, 12:48 PM
...felt no real improvements in 3G at all. Can't wait for more carriers to move in.

reckless2k2
Jul 22, 2010, 01:03 PM
I've been in and out of Manhattan every 2 weeks for a little over a year. I can say that I've definitely noticed a difference overall. A year ago my phone would do little to nothing between Penn Station and 40th. Now I can actually do stuff. It's not as good as the Philly area where I'm from but considering how great the traffic is in NYC, I don't think it's bad.

Can it be better? YES definitely but it has gotten better.

pshifrin
Jul 22, 2010, 01:39 PM
I've been in midtown 53rd / Madison for the past two weeks on a project. Service has been excellent, fast data 1mb+ (slow upload though) and no dropped calls! Way better than same time last year.

iPhone 4 + bumper.

hazeydavey
Jul 22, 2010, 01:54 PM
Still can't get above 56 Upload anywhere in NYC....they full of it

thecypher
Jul 22, 2010, 02:07 PM
I call BS on this in NYC; Most days I barely get 500K down/100K up, and at least two or three times/day I get the "can't activate cellular data network" or whatever it is, even though I have 3+ signal bars.

This is just marketing noise; talk to actual users and you get a different story...

can't wait for another carrier to become available w/iPhone so we can offload some of the data volume.

Yeah good luck with that. You will then we whining about T-Mobile or Verizon or whoever. Bottomline is no matter what improvements the carriers do people still complain. What is presented by At&T is hard data. Corporations can't lie about these things. There are legal implications. The iPhone carries over 70% of the Smartphone data traffic out there. You know what that means? Verizon, T-mobile and everybody else combined carry less than 30% of smartphone traffic. Lets see any carrier match that and do it better. It is easier said than done. Since the introduction of iPhone the way people use mobile internet has changed dramatically and as an iPhone user you know that. I find myself barely using my computer at home. I do most of my email, browsing on my iPhone. The ramp in data traffic was exponential when the iPhone came out. Nobody anticipated it and AT&T has been playing catchup because the data growth has been at an extremely fast rate. Upgrading a network is not something that can be done overnight. And no I don't work for AT&T but in fact a work for a competitor and we keep our eyes on what AT&T is doing and the industry in general and there is a lot of data out there that you can google. I can tell you honestly no other carrier could have done better.

ChocolateOne
Jul 22, 2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah good luck with that. You will then we whining about T-Mobile or Verizon or whoever. Bottomline is no matter what improvements the carriers do people still complain. What is presented by At&T is hard data. Corporations can't lie about these things. There are legal implications. The iPhone carries over 70% of the Smartphone data traffic out there. You know what that means? Verizon, T-mobile and everybody else combined carry less than 30% of smartphone traffic. Lets see any carrier match that and do it better. It is easier said than done. Since the introduction of iPhone the way people use mobile internet has changed dramatically and as an iPhone user you know that. I find myself barely using my computer at home. I do most of my email, browsing on my iPhone. The ramp in data traffic was exponential when the iPhone came out. Nobody anticipated it and AT&T has been playing catchup because the data growth has been at an extremely fast rate. Upgrading a network is not something that can be done overnight. And no I don't work for AT&T but in fact a work for a competitor and we keep our eyes on what AT&T is doing and the industry in general and there is a lot of data out there that you can google. I can tell you honestly no other carrier could have done better.

nuff said......

kdarling
Jul 22, 2010, 02:37 PM
The iPhone carries over 70% of the Smartphone data traffic out there. You know what that means? Verizon, T-mobile and everybody else combined carry less than 30% of smartphone traffic.

I believe the iPhone accounts for 70% of U.S. ad requests, not data traffic.

The number of ads has little to do with how much data people are Slinging, Skyping, Pandora'ing, YouTubing or browsing.

In fact, AT&T has stated before that the iPhone isn't the major data user even on their network. They said it's instead composed mostly of the ever increasing usage of IM apps on their other phones.

thecypher
Jul 22, 2010, 02:46 PM
I believe the iPhone accounts for 70% of U.S. ad requests, not data traffic.

The number of ads has little to do with how much data people are Slinging, Skyping, Pandora'ing, YouTubing or browsing.

In fact, AT&T has stated before that the iPhone isn't the major data user even on their network. They said it's instead composed mostly of the ever increasing usage of IM apps on their other phones.

I believe you are wrong. See this article. Back in Nov 2009 iPhone was using more than 50% of all mobile data traffic in the world. Definitely more than 70% of Smartphone data traffic in the US.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPhone-Apple-RIM-HTC-Smartphone,news-5206.html

thecypher
Jul 22, 2010, 02:50 PM
I believe you are wrong. See this article. Back in Nov 2009 iPhone was using more than 50% of all mobile data traffic in the world. Definitely more than 70% of Smartphone data traffic in the US.

Here is a much better picture. Back then Apple had 18% market share of units sold by platform and iPhone was accounting for excess of 50% of data traffic. Now Apple's share is larger. So you do the math.

http://images.appleinsider.com/Android.iPhone.share.png

mattster16
Jul 22, 2010, 03:18 PM

Yeah soon as you "mark the spot" someone will be over that afternoon to erect a new cell tower..

Sorry, but it's not that easy considering what AT&T is up against...

mattster16
Jul 22, 2010, 03:22 PM
this is crap. I live in brooklyn which is still 'NYC' proper. there are still pockets in my apartment that will drop a call..no matter what, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, same result.

Also, i went to see Burning Spear at the river to river festival down in tribeca last nite...zero reception...as in none. Not able to make calls, receive calls, sending text messages took upwards of 5 tries.

Call us cynical if you want. We are the ones who actually live here. And i've gotten no letter that at&t wants to give me a free microcell. And i'll be damned if i pay for one.

1. Sorry, but AT&T (or any other carrier) is not going to address reception in your personal apartment. They can't compensate for all possible building interference or building materials the signal needs to pass through. Call them and explain your problem (nicely) and ask (nicely) for a free microcell.

2. You were at a festival, could that have something to do with not getting service? There were probably a lot of people there trying to use there phones and there are only so many frequencies available. Can't change the last of physics. Cell phone service is often crappy at large events...

I'm not trying to be some at&t apologist but WOW people just have no concept of the technicalities involved in cell systems.

aporlebeke
Jul 22, 2010, 03:31 PM
All I can say is that I was at the San Fran airport all of 3/4 days ago and I had 0 (count 'em) bars on my iPhone 4. I was like "whaaaaaa?!" Ridiculous

ppc_michael
Jul 22, 2010, 03:41 PM
Huh! I don't think I've ever had any problems (as long as I'm not on the subway). Fast 3G, never dropped calls.

kdarling
Jul 22, 2010, 03:53 PM

No sir.

Read the PDF cited by that article (http://metrics.admob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/AdMob-Mobile-Metrics-Oct-09.pdf) (which derived bogus headlines from it, something we see all the time around here). It's only about ad traffic.

What's the source of your other graphic? I suspect it also draws from the same article about ad requests. Thanks!

Edit: never mind. I see that it does (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/23/apple_iphone_eats_up_50_share_of_all_mobile_data_traffic_globally.html). Amazing how poor today's reporting is. Not your fault for believing what they said, at first glance.

PS. AdMob only serves about 11,000 websites out of millions. Their stats on serving ads are interesting, but only reflect the number of visitors to sites with their ads.

PPS. I'm really busy today, but this article quoting (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12261_7-10371298-10356022.html)AT&T's CEO and CTO tells part of the story:

"While most people would assume that most of the wireless data traffic growth on AT&T's network comes from the iPhone, AT&T's executives said that isn't the case.

De la Vega said that quick-messaging devices are actually driving a significant portion of data usage on the network."

davidcarswell
Jul 22, 2010, 04:11 PM
not sure about NY but LEAD PAINT is a HUGE issue in SF. MANY and I mean MOST old buildings, houses, whether remodeled or not have layer upon layer of antique old lead paint on their walls. I lived in one an old Victorian a year and a half ago-and zero bars in house. Spent a fortune to get professionals to removed the lead paint in the front room and shared wall to one bedroom and BOOM full bars minus one. One friend got smart and could get a small area of bars in their front room-he used mirrors through the apartment - strategically placed to direct the signal through most of the apartment-it was rather ingenious.

JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT-

ChocolateOne
Jul 22, 2010, 04:52 PM

Then get a blackberry and your problems solved. Not calling you cynical as a person, youre being cynical when you can't at least acknowledge the network has gotten far better even when the facts are staring you in the face.

japasneezemonk
Jul 22, 2010, 05:02 PM
In my 100+ year old brick home, I can't get a decent signal from Sprint, At&t, or Verizon. However, once I get near a window or walk out my front door my data speeds go up drastically. It's easy to blame the networks, but in older cities, the interference from old buildings, etc.. is overwhelming.

galanoth
Jul 22, 2010, 07:20 PM

I live in anaheim and I consistently get at least 2mbps down and 1.3 mpbs up

abbstrack
Jul 22, 2010, 10:03 PM
1. Sorry, but AT&T (or any other carrier) is not going to address reception in your personal apartment. They can't compensate for all possible building interference or building materials the signal needs to pass through. Call them and explain your problem (nicely) and ask (nicely) for a free microcell.

2. You were at a festival, could that have something to do with not getting service? There were probably a lot of people there trying to use there phones and there are only so many frequencies available. Can't change the last of physics. Cell phone service is often crappy at large events...

I'm not trying to be some at&t apologist but WOW people just have no concept of the technicalities involved in cell systems.

re: point 1: at&t has already admitted their service is 'substandard' in NYC. no they cant compensate for building interference, etc..but they also can't expect me to be willing to pay them for a device to use my wifi connection (which i pay time warner for) to access their cellular service. Call me crazy, but as a matter of customer service, i think people who live in the worst 'substandard' areas of service as at&t's CEO put it should have been offered free microcells first...First. Practical..no..but a decent olive branch for those of us who live here and paid full price while suffering through 'substandard' service..yes. It would go a long way between improving relations between them and all of us who still think they are horrible.

point 2: nope. I was there with a friend who lives there. right across the street. literally 100 feet away. he explained that service is ALWAYS like that there. and there were no more than 400 people there. So if any one area of NYC cannot handle a gathering of 400 or so people, i dont know what to say. there are probably 3,000 people per square foot here. Also the odds of all 400 of those people clogging up at&t's network are slim. if 75% of them were on at&t, it still shouldnt be enough to make that much of a dent.

this isnt about me having a concept of the technicalities involved in cell systems. i know this is the internet and its common to assume everyone is an idiot but yourself, but you have no idea what my understanding is. You also apparently dont live here. I know what at&t is up against. I know how strong community groups and city ordinances can be, the difficulty they are having putting up towers, how difficult it is to service a densely populated nyc..etc. I also know at&t entered into an agreement to be an exclusive carrier for a device they were clearly not ready/prepared to support. And all along they've made statements blaming the customers for their problems (i.e. stop using so much data..etc..).

As a photographer, if there's a job that's too big for me, typically i'll decline..no matter what it pays. I know this analogy is oversimplifying, but at&t should/could have been more forthright, and should have probably told apple it would need help..especially when OS2 and the app store rolled out.

are they catching up. maybe. but i'm (and apparently a lot of other folks) are still having trouble seeing it. For those that do, enjoy. but NY, as small as it is, is a big city. and there are probably 8 million takes on at&t service here, if you've got time for them all.

oban14
Jul 22, 2010, 10:20 PM
AT&T can go **** themselves.

d21mike
Jul 22, 2010, 11:29 PM
It would be nice if they could do some improvements here in southern California. My 3G speeds are barely over 1mbps down.I get > 2mbps in Torrance California.

Wiyum
Jul 23, 2010, 03:02 AM
Certainly not trying to be an apologist, but I live in one of the less-than-trendy parts of Brooklyn and I've tried to get my phone to drop below five bars in my apartment in all sorts of ways. It cannot be done. I used to have troubles in Manhattan but in the last three months, I can't honestly say that it has been more than incidental. If I have complaints about AT&T, network issues aren't among them.

To those that work daily near Times Square, though, my heart goes out to you. You must know that that has to be the world's toughest place to cover (truly), but for that reason I'm sorry. That and the fact that you must daily pass through Times Square.

For the longest time, I had an absolute dead spot anywhere near Union Square. If I could see the park, I could be certain that I had no service. No longer! Since then, I've had no major issues with the network. Manhattan will always be a "work in progress" due to congestion, but I'm satisfied that AT&T is doing all that they can, where they can.

PS: Made a call from Queensboro Plaza (on the Q, while the train was at the platform) last Friday. No problems at all.

paulyras
Jul 23, 2010, 07:36 AM
not sure about NY but LEAD PAINT is a HUGE issue in SF. MANY and I mean MOST old buildings, houses, whether remodeled or not have layer upon layer of antique old lead paint on their walls. I lived in one an old Victorian a year and a half ago-and zero bars in house. Spent a fortune to get professionals to removed the lead paint in the front room and shared wall to one bedroom and BOOM full bars minus one. One friend got smart and could get a small area of bars in their front room-he used mirrors through the apartment - strategically placed to direct the signal through most of the apartment-it was rather ingenious.

JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT-

It's the tinfoil hat that gets me... Just kidding.

I had never even considered lead paint being a shield. I guess it makes sense, though I have a hard time seeing it completely kill signal (I could be wrong though).

What I do call shenanigans on is the mirrors. I highly doubt that mirrors will reflect a cell signal, just as they do light.

Ted13
Jul 23, 2010, 07:52 AM
Yeah good luck with that. You will then we whining about T-Mobile or Verizon or whoever. ...

Upgrading a network is not something that can be done overnight. ....
I'm sure that's true, but I think a lot of us will complain less about *AT&T* because a substantial portion of the users will be off AT&T and busy bringing other networks to their knees.

But that said this isn't some insurmountable problem. Hang out in continental Europe and miraculously the networks work everywhere -- in huge cities & way out in the boonies at 7.2MBPs. The iPhone is a miracle device out there. US carriers have a whole bunch of lame excuses, period. And before anyone starts going on about how the US is larger -- it isn't -- look it up, Europe is larger, and yes, that includes counting Alaska's frozen tundra.

And finally we know that upgrading the network isn't done over night. But AT&T is claiming it is done in NYC, and while there has been a big improvement form 2009 to 2010, they are very far from done.

Data speeds are still a joke in the financial district. There is still a total dead spot on W. Broadway between Chambers and Reade -- on the street, not in someones apartment.

AT&T needs to stop claiming they are done, and redouble their efforts in NYC.

davidgrimm
Jul 23, 2010, 08:48 AM
What, so 3 years after paying top dollar for service, they say they're gonna finally start delivering it. Can I please get a refund for all the years I paid for good service but instead got crap?

Of course, this assumes they have actually managed to improve the network in the first place. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that ATT claims are false.

jdover
Jul 23, 2010, 09:52 AM
I spent a couple hours of heavy phone use last week in Port Authority/Times Square +/- 20 blocks as I navigated my way around to meet people and had no issues whatsoever with data or voice; although GPS reception was another story altogether... So while I am sure there are problems, it is nothing so bad as I hear people whine about.

alent1234
Jul 23, 2010, 12:02 PM

lately i've been getting 5 bars on my 3GS in the NYC subway. standing on the platform on a few stations waiting for the train. and the data works. noticed it first in Queens on the roosevelt ave station in one spot and now it's on the 34st station as well.

alent1234
Jul 23, 2010, 12:04 PM
I'm sure that's true, but I think a lot of us will complain less about *AT&T* because a substantial portion of the users will be off AT&T and busy bringing other networks to their knees.

But that said this isn't some insurmountable problem. Hang out in continental Europe and miraculously the networks work everywhere -- in huge cities & way out in the boonies at 7.2MBPs. The iPhone is a miracle device out there. US carriers have a whole bunch of lame excuses, period. And before anyone starts going on about how the US is larger -- it isn't -- look it up, Europe is larger, and yes, that includes counting Alaska's frozen tundra.

And finally we know that upgrading the network isn't done over night. But AT&T is claiming it is done in NYC, and while there has been a big improvement form 2009 to 2010, they are very far from done.

Data speeds are still a joke in the financial district. There is still a total dead spot on W. Broadway between Chambers and Reade -- on the street, not in someones apartment.

AT&T needs to stop claiming they are done, and redouble their efforts in NYC.

there is no way you can cover every square inch with coverage here. it's impossible with all the buildings

turn your wifi on and connect at the starbucks/mcdonalds and other free wifi spots and it will take care of the dead zones.

and upgrade your software to iOS4. starting with 3.1.3 apple made a huge fix to their crappy baseband software that made a huge difference. half the problems are because apple chose inferion for the radio chips and their drivers suck in the USA.

davidcarswell
Jul 23, 2010, 01:18 PM
It's the tinfoil hat that gets me... Just kidding.

I had never even considered lead paint being a shield. I guess it makes sense, though I have a hard time seeing it completely kill signal (I could be wrong though). When my friend did that with success it tropes me up. But it was effin' kewl. Note it wasn't full bars he reflected-just enough to not have 'no signal'. ;)

What I do call shenanigans on is the mirrors. I highly doubt that mirrors will reflect a cell signal, just as they do light.

Actually everything from microwaves to gamma rays are light (all a part of the electromagnetic spectrum) I study astrophysics (my major) and yes a mirror will reflect cellular signals.

evilguy
Jul 23, 2010, 06:30 PM

1. AT&T is responsible for the overall coverage - even in apartments. Its a simple question of adding more cell-sites, making each cellsite footprint smaller and using 850 MHz frequencies - its not black magic...

2. AT&T has moverable capacity cell-sites which can be brought in to provide expanded coverage to festivals or events with many people. AT&T could also tweak the local cell-sites and boost capacity with lower voice-codecs and adding more carriers to each frequency. Again - its not black magic....

AT&T could do a lot of things, but neglects to do so. I feel sorry for you guys having to put up with below average cellular-service :(
I'm so happy to live in a civilized country here dropped calls are a thing of the past and good coverage is plenty.

kazmac
Jul 23, 2010, 06:42 PM

I work in Manhattan and get constant loss of signal in many places, including a few dead areas where I cannot make calls. It's worse when I try to access data or load web pages it's pretty bad. I don't know what it's like for the folks that live in Manhattan, but I can say that AT&T are delusional.

evilguy
Jul 23, 2010, 06:52 PM
there is no way you can cover every square inch with coverage here. it's impossible with all the buildings

half the problems are because apple chose inferion for the radio chips and their drivers suck in the USA.

In every other country around the world cellulars providers can offer decent indoor coverage in large metro areas with skyscrapers - then why not in New York?

The problem has more to do with the number of cell-sites then inferior radio chips.

The US carriers network design is flawed and that is causing most of the problems. If you compare the networks design in a typical european city and a typical american city you will find that there at substantially fewer cell-sites in US city. In the US the the networks design dictates fewer sites with multiple carriers and in europe there are 2-3 x more cellsites using one or maybe two carriers.

When using WCDMA this difference can be huge.

The difference is:

US
- Fewer cellsites
- more carriers used
- low capex (investment in equipment)
- Adding more capacity is limited and difficult
- Harder to add capacity to where it is needed due to large footprints
- Indoor coverage can be difficult

Europe
- 2-3 x cellsites compared to the US
- Only one or two carrier used
- higher capex due to more cellsite
- More complex backbone network
- Adding more capacity is relative easy (just add another carrier)
- Cellsite footprint is much smaller thous adding capracity to where it is need is much easier
- Indoor coverage is better due to smaller footprint of each site

neilgehrke
Jul 23, 2010, 08:57 PM
iPhone4 + San Francisco + AT&T = unusable cell phone.:(

iphones4evry1
Jul 24, 2010, 12:43 AM
Although the MacR article focuses on Manhattan, the image appears to claim AT&T is promising an upgraded network nation-wide. And it says LTE in 2011.

I remember when the 3GS was released, they promised speeds of 7.2Mbps by the end of 2010 (double the regular 3G, but below 4G). Okay, the iPhone 4 is out now. Are the 3GS people going to get their 7.2Mbps???? :confused:

alent1234
Jul 24, 2010, 06:16 AM
Although the MacR article focuses on Manhattan, the image appears to claim AT&T is promising an upgraded network nation-wide. And it says LTE in 2011.

I remember when the 3GS was released, they promised speeds of 7.2Mbps by the end of 2010 (double the regular 3G, but below 4G). Okay, the iPhone 4 is out now. Are the 3GS people going to get their 7.2Mbps???? :confused:

7.2 is a marketing gimmick based on ideal lab tests

alent1234
Jul 24, 2010, 06:17 AM
In every other country around the world cellulars providers can offer decent indoor coverage in large metro areas with skyscrapers - then why not in New York?

The problem has more to do with the number of cell-sites then inferior radio chips.

The US carriers network design is flawed and that is causing most of the problems. If you compare the networks design in a typical european city and a typical american city you will find that there at substantially fewer cell-sites in US city. In the US the the networks design dictates fewer sites with multiple carriers and in europe there are 2-3 x more cellsites using one or maybe two carriers.

When using WCDMA this difference can be huge.

The difference is:

US
- Fewer cellsites
- more carriers used
- low capex (investment in equipment)
- Adding more capacity is limited and difficult
- Harder to add capacity to where it is needed due to large footprints
- Indoor coverage can be difficult

Europe
- 2-3 x cellsites compared to the US
- Only one or two carrier used
- higher capex due to more cellsite
- More complex backbone network
- Adding more capacity is relative easy (just add another carrier)
- Cellsite footprint is much smaller thous adding capracity to where it is need is much easier
- Indoor coverage is better due to smaller footprint of each site

europe has skyscrapers? i thought i saw a few in germany. don't remember any in italy

KidFresh
Jul 24, 2010, 07:52 PM
I honestly don't even care about 4G internet service in Manhattan. Just fix the constant dropped calls issues. AT&T can take their new stats and shove it.

DrumApple
Jul 25, 2010, 01:33 PM
WTF, San Francisco is the tech capitol of the US. Shows you how backwards this company is...

rconsult4602
Jul 26, 2010, 06:41 AM
:) always carry a Blackberry with Buetooth for tough reception areas,,,keepBB in pocket and pretend to be using iPhone...you look cool and don't miss any calls!!

dented42ford
Aug 1, 2010, 03:28 PM
I live on Wilshire near the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, and I have ZERO reception in my apartment. Also, when driving around LA, I must drop calls 3-4 times an hour. It is freaking ridiculous!

The AT&T Los Angeles - the city, not the OC, not Torrance, not Commerce, but LOS ANGELES - coverage is basically craptastic. I've dropped calls driving (with a Bluetooth headset) down Sunset, Fairfax, Santa Monica, La Brea, and pretty much everywhere else - there are so many dead zones and places where the congestion gets bad that I literally couldn't count them.

I just moved here from Austin, TX, and the difference is just astounding to me.

I will admit that Orange County has fine reception. Most of the SF Valley does too. But LA proper? Horrible.

alent1234
Aug 3, 2010, 11:42 AM
I live on Wilshire near the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, and I have ZERO reception in my apartment. Also, when driving around LA, I must drop calls 3-4 times an hour. It is freaking ridiculous!

The AT&T Los Angeles - the city, not the OC, not Torrance, not Commerce, but LOS ANGELES - coverage is basically craptastic. I've dropped calls driving (with a Bluetooth headset) down Sunset, Fairfax, Santa Monica, La Brea, and pretty much everywhere else - there are so many dead zones and places where the congestion gets bad that I literally couldn't count them.

I just moved here from Austin, TX, and the difference is just astounding to me.

I will admit that Orange County has fine reception. Most of the SF Valley does too. But LA proper? Horrible.

how do you know it's not your bluetooth? same frequencies as wifi