Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

114006-att_nyc_improvements.jpg

As noted by Gizmodo, AT&T during its conference call following its second quarter earnings release touted recent improvements to its cellular network in New York City, and Manhattan in particular. Another of the carrier's troubled markets, San Francisco, is reportedly lagging about 90 days behind New York when it comes to improvements. From AT&T's presentation:
Solid improvements in New York City
- 3G dropped calls down 23% in Manhattan and 13% in New York metro since 4Q09
- Blocked calls down 39% in Manhattan and 21% in New York metro since 4Q09
- 3G download speeds up 31% in last six months in NYC
The company also notes that its "3G Voice Composite Quality Index" is up 89% in Manhattan over the last six months.

AT&T last month announced that it had completed its 3G upgrade process in New York City, an infrastructure enhancement designed to address performance issues in a market where the carrier has seen a significant amount of criticism

Article Link: AT&T Touts New York City Network Improvements, San Francisco 90 Days Behind

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Living/working in the NYC area.............I can honestly say "bu!!*****" to whatever AT&T is "touting" I see NO improvements whatsoever. The only improvement i see is that things improve on crappy raining/hot days in the city when there are less tourists in the city milling about congesting the network.

wrlsmarc

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2007
I just spent a week in Manhattan. Relative to my last visit, the network was much better. I did not drop any calls and data connectivity was much improved. I did notice that in the late afternoon commute hours that data rates would slow down but they were still respectable. Downloads speed of about 500 kbps. Other times I was getting more than 2,000 kbps.

Living in the SF area, I can't wait until they finish their work here. I hope it is only 90 days. The network here has improved but no where near Manhattan.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Is NYC still suffering from the capped upload problem?

I know DC is ... I'm getting a measly 50kbps upload on 3G....

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I just spent a week in Manhattan. Relative to my last visit, the network was much better. I did not drop any calls and data connectivity was much improved. I did notice that in the late afternoon commute hours that data rates would slow down but they were still respectable. Downloads speed of about 500 kbps. Other times I was getting more than 2,000 kbps.

Living in the SF area, I can't wait until they finish their work here. I hope it is only 90 days. The network here has improved but no where near Manhattan.

AH HA!!! So your the reason Diesel is so pissed! :D

ChocolateOne

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
LOL AT&T is hilarious. Does anyone who lives in manhattan believe these numbers?

I swear, people are so cynical. They improve a network people have had trouble with and your still not happy. Get a Microcell if your coverage is that bad. they are giving them away.

maverikv

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
I swear, people are so cynical. They improve a network people have had trouble with and your still not happy. Get a Microcell if your coverage is that bad. they are giving them away.

I'm cynical because they say they improved the network yet every call gets dropped 5 times, and I live in what is arguably the center of the known universe (a block and a half from Times Square)

I'm very happy with my iPhone in every respect but phone calls. I just wish my iPhone was good at being a phone (derp).

dstankus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Bs!

I call BS on this in NYC; Most days I barely get 500K down/100K up, and at least two or three times/day I get the "can't activate cellular data network" or whatever it is, even though I have 3+ signal bars.

This is just marketing noise; talk to actual users and you get a different story...

can't wait for another carrier to become available w/iPhone so we can offload some of the data volume.

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
this is crap. I live in brooklyn which is still 'NYC' proper. there are still pockets in my apartment that will drop a call..no matter what, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, same result.

Also, i went to see Burning Spear at the river to river festival down in tribeca last nite...zero reception...as in none. Not able to make calls, receive calls, sending text messages took upwards of 5 tries.

Call us cynical if you want. We are the ones who actually live here. And i've gotten no letter that at&t wants to give me a free microcell. And i'll be damned if i pay for one.

ChocolateOne

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
I'm cynical because they say they improved the network yet every call gets dropped 5 times, and I live in what is arguably the center of the known universe (a block and a half from Times Square)

I'm very happy with my iPhone in every respect but phone calls. I just wish my iPhone was good at being a phone (derp).

Have you considered the microcell??

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
There is still a deadspot at Queensboro Plaza. So ridiculous. I've use "mark the spot" dozens of times. Glad they take these reports seriously. :rolleyes:

davidcarswell

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007

perhaps you and the iphone should agree to see other people-
you have tried - and if it just doesnt work for you -
<sob>
now get a new phone - note the missing 'i'
and while you are at it - get another network.

davidcarswell

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
There is still a deadspot at Queensboro Plaza. So ridiculous. I've use "mark the spot" dozens of times. Glad they take these reports seriously. :rolleyes:

maybe you shouldnt make calls at Queensboro Plaza.
Perhaps there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed - such as interference-
or if you are on the iP4 perhaps you are holding it wrong...

This comment is suppose to be somewhat humorous-
:cool:
<since i was a complete a$$ on my last comment-above-though i did mean it>

jajohns8

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008

Although I'm not in NY, I've used the 'Mark the spot' app in the past.

After a few months, I did get a text saying that I would be happy to know a new tower was going in in my area where I reported the dropped call/weak signal/ whatever.

I think that these improvements will never happen as fast as we would like, but at the same time, it's a little inaccurate to claim (and I'm not necessarily saying the poster I quoted is saying this) that AT&T are "doing nothing."

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I've been in and out of Manhattan every 2 weeks for a little over a year. I can say that I've definitely noticed a difference overall. A year ago my phone would do little to nothing between Penn Station and 40th. Now I can actually do stuff. It's not as good as the Philly area where I'm from but considering how great the traffic is in NYC, I don't think it's bad.

Can it be better? YES definitely but it has gotten better.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
I've been in midtown 53rd / Madison for the past two weeks on a project. Service has been excellent, fast data 1mb+ (slow upload though) and no dropped calls! Way better than same time last year.

iPhone 4 + bumper.

thecypher

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I call BS on this in NYC; Most days I barely get 500K down/100K up, and at least two or three times/day I get the "can't activate cellular data network" or whatever it is, even though I have 3+ signal bars.

This is just marketing noise; talk to actual users and you get a different story...

can't wait for another carrier to become available w/iPhone so we can offload some of the data volume.

Yeah good luck with that. You will then we whining about T-Mobile or Verizon or whoever. Bottomline is no matter what improvements the carriers do people still complain. What is presented by At&T is hard data. Corporations can't lie about these things. There are legal implications. The iPhone carries over 70% of the Smartphone data traffic out there. You know what that means? Verizon, T-mobile and everybody else combined carry less than 30% of smartphone traffic. Lets see any carrier match that and do it better. It is easier said than done. Since the introduction of iPhone the way people use mobile internet has changed dramatically and as an iPhone user you know that. I find myself barely using my computer at home. I do most of my email, browsing on my iPhone. The ramp in data traffic was exponential when the iPhone came out. Nobody anticipated it and AT&T has been playing catchup because the data growth has been at an extremely fast rate. Upgrading a network is not something that can be done overnight. And no I don't work for AT&T but in fact a work for a competitor and we keep our eyes on what AT&T is doing and the industry in general and there is a lot of data out there that you can google. I can tell you honestly no other carrier could have done better.

ChocolateOne

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
so true

Yeah good luck with that. You will then we whining about T-Mobile or Verizon or whoever. Bottomline is no matter what improvements the carriers do people still complain. What is presented by At&T is hard data. Corporations can't lie about these things. There are legal implications. The iPhone carries over 70% of the Smartphone data traffic out there. You know what that means? Verizon, T-mobile and everybody else combined carry less than 30% of smartphone traffic. Lets see any carrier match that and do it better. It is easier said than done. Since the introduction of iPhone the way people use mobile internet has changed dramatically and as an iPhone user you know that. I find myself barely using my computer at home. I do most of my email, browsing on my iPhone. The ramp in data traffic was exponential when the iPhone came out. Nobody anticipated it and AT&T has been playing catchup because the data growth has been at an extremely fast rate. Upgrading a network is not something that can be done overnight. And no I don't work for AT&T but in fact a work for a competitor and we keep our eyes on what AT&T is doing and the industry in general and there is a lot of data out there that you can google. I can tell you honestly no other carrier could have done better.

nuff said......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.