PDA

View Full Version : New Power Macs in person... thoughts

MacCoaster
Aug 17, 2002, 04:51 PM
I went to the Apple Store today in Durham, NC to check out the new Power Mac and the iMac 17".

I had thought the Power Mac G4s were HORRIBLE looking from the pictures. But in person, it doesn't even bother me.

It is significantly faster than the non-DDR versions, but not by much. Maybe it's the fact that I'm comparing the non-DDR Dual 1GHz Power Mac with Mac OS X 10.1.x to the DDR Dual 1GHz Power Mac with Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar.

It's pretty nice, but doesn't cut it for me. I'll wait.

BTW, used iChat most of the time. Man, I thought it was ugly, pointless, etc. but I proved myself wrong. Wow.

Any thoughts after personally seeing them and using them?

MacAztec
Aug 17, 2002, 05:25 PM
Im here right now. Really fast. Got a 23" HD Display, and a 17in next to it. GTG, peeps are watching byue

bsharp
Aug 17, 2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by MacCoaster

It is significantly faster than the non-DDR versions, but not by much. .

What does that mean?

solvs
Aug 17, 2002, 07:08 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is significantly faster than the non-DDR versions, but not by much. .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by bsharp

What does that mean?

That's what I was thinking. Isn't that kind of a contradiction of terms? He also said he was gonna wait to upgrade.

MacCoaster, what are you running now? Are you gonna check out the 1.25s? Is this one of those "if you have a G3 upgrade, if you have a G4 800+, you can wait"?

I guess he's trying to say that they're nice, but not that big of an upgrade.

heov
Aug 17, 2002, 07:35 PM
I think he meant that DDR memory is SUPPOSED to significanlty increase performance, but it really doesn't in the new macs..

MacCoaster
Aug 17, 2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by heov
I think he meant that DDR memory is SUPPOSED to significanlty increase performance, but it really doesn't in the new macs..
You are correct.

Don't we love contradictory logic that actually works out. ;)
Originally posted by solvs
MacCoaster, what are you running now? Are you gonna check out the 1.25s? Is this one of those "if you have a G3 upgrade, if you have a G4 800+, you can wait"?
Read my profile. My brother actually has the iMac, but my main computer is an AMD Athlon 1.4GHz Thunderbird.

I've been following the Macintosh since my first Macintosh in early 1990's [believe it was 1991], with the IIsi. After the first editions of Digital Audio Power Macs, I have witnessed the decline in the worth of buying a Mac for performance [very important for me] and therefore got the Athlon over a Dual 800 a year ago. I will definitely check out the Dual 1.25GHz to see if it's any improvement. But I sadly doubt it. Right now, Macs are very well worth it for productivity, but since what I work with doesn't depend on productivity [actually, a little bit, but .NET takes care of all my productivity needs for programming, debugging, etc.]. Once the Power Mac picks up and lurches ahead, it might be very well worth my money; since OS X will be very mature by then [Jaguar was AMAZING; it's getting there!!!], and Mono [www.go-mono.com] will probably be ported to Mac OS X by the time.

It all depends on the person and their needs. Right now Macs fascinate me by their simplicty yet they are sophisiciated but disappointed that they can't catch up. But of course, as I've clearly stated in my other posts. DUMP MOTOROLA! GO IBM!

firewire2001
Aug 17, 2002, 09:18 PM
I went to the Apple Store today in Durham, NC to check out the new Power Mac and the iMac 17".

I had thought the Power Mac G4s were HORRIBLE looking from the pictures. But in person, it doesn't even bother me.

It is significantly faster than the non-DDR versions, but not by much. Maybe it's the fact that I'm comparing the non-DDR Dual 1GHz Power Mac with Mac OS X 10.1.x to the DDR Dual 1GHz Power Mac with Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar.

It's pretty nice, but doesn't cut it for me. I'll wait.

BTW, used iChat most of the time. Man, I thought it was ugly, pointless, etc. but I proved myself wrong. Wow.

Any thoughts after personally seeing them and using them?

they dont have the 1.25 ghz's there.. right?

MacCoaster
Aug 17, 2002, 10:13 PM
Correct, no dual 1.25 GHz anywhere but Cupertino.

MacMaster
Aug 17, 2002, 11:00 PM