PDA

View Full Version : Wireless(airport)

steller
Nov 16, 2004, 11:25 PM
Hi guys,
I have been using my airport express to internet for a month. I just bought a new laptop which is a dell inspiron. I was trying to hook up online wirelessly but then I couldn't connect to the internet. It is connected to my network but it shows that it is limited or no connectivity. Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks a lots.

Ryan1524
Nov 17, 2004, 12:18 AM
Hi guys,
I have been using my airport express to internet for a month. I just bought a new laptop which is a dell inspiron. I was trying to hook up online wirelessly but then I couldn't connect to the internet. It is connected to my network but it shows that it is limited or no connectivity. Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks a lots.

my roommate's PC laptop did this once and all i did to fix it was by repairing the network connection (the buillt in repair function). try also resetting the base station and playing around with the networking settings if that didn't work.

steller
Nov 17, 2004, 12:24 AM
i tried that already. but it doesn't work.

Westside guy
Nov 17, 2004, 12:25 AM
When troubleshooting a wireless connection, the first step one should always take is to completely disable security. See if the Dell can connect when you've got encryption off, the SSID broadcast on ("open" network), and no MAC filters.

If that works, then you should start reinstating the security settings one by one.

But some obvious choke points include: Airport Express set to 802.11g only, while the Dell has an 802.11b card; WPA security on the AE which the Dell may not support; Windows set to use 802.1x security (default in XP) while that's not set on the AE.