PDA

View Full Version : No dial tone for PB modem in the UK

ursli
Nov 17, 2004, 03:04 AM
Dear all

I just moved to the UK from the US, and am having trouble dialing up my new UK ISP (SurfAnytime) using the internal modem (v.92) on my 15” G4 PowerBook. After the initial set-up, I tried dialing up, and the modem said it was connecting for some time, but then it disconnected and gave me a message that it could not detect a dial tone. I checked the phone line on my phone and I heard the dial tone, so that seemed weird.

I then tried the option of turning off the “wait for dial-tone before dialing option” as well as (separately) setting the dialing option to “pulse” instead of “tone”. That did not make a difference. I didn’t change any of the other settings, just put in the info I’d gotten from the ISP in the ‘PPP’ part of the modem set-up (I didn’t know where to put the SMTP/POP3 server info from the ISP –could this be the problem?). I left the ‘TCP/IP’ part on “using PPP” and left the ‘proxies’ part empty/unselected.

Here are my questions (besides if you have any idea what may be going on here):

1. Do I need a different cable to connect my modem to the phone line in the UK (i.e. is this a hardware problem?)?
2. Is this a known problem with SurfAnytime and Macs (doesn’t seem like it would, but who knows)
3. Is there a part of the set-up I’m leaving out/configuring incorrectly?

Any help and insight would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Ness

RoadKill
Nov 17, 2004, 03:48 AM
The UK uses the middle two pins on the RJ11 connector.

they are crossed over, I should think your USA cable is a straight. I should think a UK cable will solve your dialup problem.

ursli
Nov 17, 2004, 07:03 AM
Thanks for your quick reply...actually, I was just using the phone line from my BT phone and switched it over to the PB. Do I need to buy a separate modem cable?

Solafaa
Nov 17, 2004, 08:06 AM
Get broadband, its really cheap and it will make your live much better :D

garybUK
Nov 17, 2004, 08:59 AM
Thanks for your quick reply...actually, I was just using the phone line from my BT phone and switched it over to the PB. Do I need to buy a separate modem cable?

now by BT do you mean Bluetooth (as some people call it BT) or British Telecom??? :P

I agree as stated broadband from Wannadoo is Ł17.99 a month for 1mbps with free modem / install yourself and broadband can be had 99% of the country now.

ursli
Nov 17, 2004, 09:32 AM
Unfortunately, I'm staying in that 1% of the UK that doesn't have broadband yet (the Isle of Lewis in Scotland) :(

Sorry, I meant British telecom line...just to confirm, I don't need a different cable for the modem, right?

RoadKill
Nov 17, 2004, 10:06 AM
I think you either need an adapter or make your own cable

this site looks like it has the info under the "Cutting the Cord" section

http://www.andersandersen.com/Technotravel/usinuk.html